sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer Sonic 3 Complete to Air, as I like the prototype zone order. Unless Air now has that option (I vaguely recall the dev didn't like it so didn't want to implement it or somesuch)?

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a game where a rebranded version and the original version are both well-received, I would love to know about it, especially a modern example.
Not sure about anything else where two ongoing series both acknowledge a single reskinned title, but the quintessential example of a rebrand being beloved and important in its own right is Doki Doki Panic becoming SMB2.

Blaster Master's kind of in the ballpark all on its own, where the original Japanese release had a different title and very different plot, and the (much more successful) Western release basically became the IP until Blaster Master Zero eventually amalgamated both of them into a single story.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I just wanna take the time to talk about how much I love Sonic Robo Blast 2, omfg.

Peep the thread if you are unfamiliar with it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...te-new-feb-2020-update-see-threadmark.157768/

Seriously. If you are a Sonic fan that has become disconnected with each disappointing 3D entry, look no further than this game. It is a unabashed 3D Sonic game from beginning to end that not only feels like a Sonic game, but it goes above and beyond with the scope of each level. Think the jump from Super Mario World to 64, but let's say Sonic 3 to this. It feels like some lost 3D Sonic entry from the Saturn or something. Seriously, if I was told that this game was "Sonic X-Treme" or like "Sonic Saturn" or something I wouldn't bat an eye.

Really. The game has multiple paths, multiple characters to take advantage of said paths, slopes, physics, momentum... everything you could want from a Sonic game, let alone a great 3D entry.

If you have a halfway decent computer, I implore you to download this game. It takes minutes, if not seconds.

I also downloaded a mod to replace the game's sprites with 3D models. It really sells that lost Saturn game look.

EQ-G5MNX0AAXHit.png

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Not sure about anything else where two ongoing series both acknowledge a single reskinned title, but the quintessential example of a rebrand being beloved and important in its own right is Doki Doki Panic becoming SMB2.

Blaster Master's kind of in the ballpark all on its own, where the original Japanese release had a different title and very different plot, and the (much more successful) Western release basically became the IP until Blaster Master Zero eventually amalgamated both of them into a single story.
Blaster Master is an interesting point, which I didn't know.

For Super Mario Bros. 2, yes, that's another title where the rebrand is the one that got the most love, which is no doubt due to it getting re-releases regularly, whereas Doki Doki Panic remains a historical curiosity since it's after all a licensed game. With that said, I don't think that it's quite there since the original owners of its characters aren't exactly bringing up that game as far as I know.

Thank you for reading.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
There is a stupid sonic war being waged on the internet , and its very dumb and its about archie characters.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
There always is. But distill this latest discourse for us please.

Yeah, can't just drop that on us with no context/explanation. I loves me some Sonic but have purposely remained disconnected with the general fandom.

Essentially people who cannot understand that sega has no interest in most archie/DiC characters and things at this point and seek to blame Ian and Jonathan H Gray for it. Now the harassment of these two has been happening for quite a while.

Since the comic's reboot. They were blamed for the changes, penders painting them as betrayers didnt help.

Now I want to be clear here, flynn isnt perfect I have some issues with his writing and how he writes shadow in particular even outside of Sega's recent interventions. So I want to be very clear it doesn't come from a place of super pro Ian bias, these people are kinda crazy

Essentially ian and jon are blamed for things that happened in the pre-reboot like "the slap" an incident that ian litterally could not have written because its before his time and jon a illustrator didnt write but had to draw because it's his job. By the way remember the slap, there's some subtext here imma drop a theory on later.

But not only that blame, they are particularly flynn are blamed for the disuse of the freedom fighters in idw. The idea that sega just doesn't care or possibly actively does not like or at least doesn't see the benefits of those characters being around is a foreign concept to them. They refuse to acknowledge their corperate overlords influence on this part of the franchise they care about. The mandates "are not real" to them, and the changes made to the previous book with the reboot and the loss of so many characters now is squarely on the shoulders of flynn because he "hates archie" and "archie characters" this has given them fuel for years of targeted harassment. And they have created YouTube videos to spread their lies and outright misunderstanding of the comic book industry and entertainment in general to get younger folks to harass them.

Recently this has culminated in the "Amy's character is wrong she's being sally" debate added to this discourse.

Now some of you might be rightfully confused at this statement. Amy's new personality is from something unrelated to the comic book and most sonic things in general, sonic boom. It just stuck so much that they kept it around. But also some of you might be saying that "amy and sally don't act the same in the new book at all" you would also be correct they dont.

Remember the slap thing I told you to remember? The soap seems to be a focal point for these people, why? Not bunny's sexual assault, not the rampant misogyny littered throughout the old book, not tails being a weird creepy incel and fighting sonic about it( this they could actually blame ian for because Iirc he was involved with that). The slap. Because it was a woman expressing herself to a man in a way that wasn't apologetic, she was angry with him and for her own reasons didnt want to be his girlfriend anymore.

You might be like "there are far more issues with that arc than that, and that doesn't even sound like an issue" yes I agree. But I believe it's part of their issue. It's why you have situations where people re-illustrate issues where amy does anything remotely leader like with sally. Sally is "the leader" she is the girl they decided leads other characters who are girls who may lead, even in their own way are trying to be simply by leading. Other women leading is strange to them. This sort of weird mysogony and misunderstanding of writing permeates their entire cause. And we haven even gotten to how their desire to have these characters return would come at the detriment of most non classic characters and that might be why sega doesn't want them around. This never Dawn's on them. Because blaze and rouge seem like two people if given the opportunity could lead well? Nope sally is the leader those characters aren't real and the FF's should be back and prominent. And this is somehow Ian and Jon's fault. Not sega.

This stupidity fight has intensified as of late. More people have been susceptible to their bullshit because of their dissatisfaction with the book. Shadow's characterization,its sluggish pace get people to blame flynn exclusively for everything instead of corperate interests. And it's weird because again idw has issues. I think Amy for example has issues, because she feels like a character constantly not in action because she's in this role of leadership that instead of bolstering her character only serves to kinda hold her back. That's a legit criticism of idw Amy, but they dont care about that. They care about their misogynist views and how the comic used to be and it returning to that. And they harass ian and jon because of it

That's the current stupidity war

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially people who cannot understand that sega has no interest in most archie/DiC characters and things at this point and seek to blame Ian and Jonathan H Gray for it. Now the harassment of these two has been happening for quite a while.

Since the comic's reboot. They were blamed for the changes, penders painting them as betrayers didnt help.

Now I want to be clear here, flynn isnt perfect I have some issues with his writing and how he writes shadow in particular even outside of Sega's recent interventions. So I want to be very clear it doesn't come from a place of super pro Ian bias, these people are kinda crazy

Essentially ian and jon are blamed for things that happened in the pre-reboot like "the slap" an incident that ian litterally could not have written because its before his time and jon a illustrator didnt write but had to draw because it's his job. By the way remember the slap, there's some subtext here imma drop a theory on later.

But not only that blame, they are particularly flynn are blamed for the disuse of the freedom fighters in idw. The idea that sega just doesn't care or possibly actively does not like or at least doesn't see the benefits of those characters being around is a foreign concept to them. They refuse to acknowledge their corperate overlords influence on this part of the franchise they care about. The mandates "are not real" to them, and the changes made to the previous book with the reboot and the loss of so many characters now is squarely on the shoulders of flynn because he "hates archie" and "archie characters" this has given them fuel for years of targeted harassment. And they have created YouTube videos to spread their lies and outright misunderstanding of the comic book industry and entertainment in general to get younger folks to harass them.

Recently this has culminated in the "Amy's character is wrong she's being sally" debate added to this discourse.

Now some of you might be rightfully confused at this statement. Amy's new personality is from something unrelated to the comic book and most sonic things in general, sonic boom. It just stuck so much that they kept it around. But also some of you might be saying that "amy and sally don't act the same in the new book at all" you would also be correct they dont.

Remember the slap thing I told you to remember? The soap seems to be a focal point for these people, why? Not bunny's sexual assault, not the rampant misogyny littered throughout the old book, not tails being a weird creepy incel and fighting sonic about it( this they could actually blame ian for because Iirc he was involved with that). The slap. Because it was a woman expressing herself to a man in a way that wasn't apologetic, she was angry with him and for her own reasons didnt want to be his girlfriend anymore.

You might be like "there are far more issues with that arc than that, and that doesn't even sound like an issue" yes I agree. But I believe it's part of their issue. It's why you have situations where people re-illustrate issues where amy does anything remotely leader like with sally. Sally is "the leader" she is the girl they decided leads other characters who are girls who may lead, even in their own way are trying to be simply by leading. Other women leading is strange to them. This sort of weird mysogony and misunderstanding of writing permeates their entire cause. And we haven even gotten to how their desire to have these characters return would come at the detriment of most non classic characters and that might be why sega doesn't want them around. This never Dawn's on them. Because blaze and rouge seem like two people if given the opportunity could lead well? Nope sally is the leader those characters aren't real and the FF's should be back and prominent. And this is somehow Ian and Jon's fault. Not sega.

This stupidity fight has intensified as of late. More people have been susceptible to their bullshit because of their dissatisfaction with the book. Shadow's characterization,its sluggish pace get people to blame flynn exclusively for everything instead of corperate interests. And it's weird because again idw has issues. I think Amy for example has issues, because she feels like a character constantly not in action because she's in this role of leadership that instead of bolstering her character only serves to kinda hold her back. That's a legit criticism of idw Amy, but they dont care about that. They care about their misogynist views and how the comic used to be and it returning to that. And they harass ian and jon because of it

That's the current stupidity war

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm in an odd position where my favorite parts of the Sonic "lore" were from the Archie comics and SatAM show but I also don't feel I have the right to have an opinion on any of it since I haven't read/kept up with it for years (maybe a decade at this point). Aside from knowing that Penders is shit even if I enjoyed his earlier stories/Knuckles mini series at the start. I can sympathize with turbo nerds that prefer an older continuity/characterizations after so many changes/a reboot (being a turbo nerd myself), especially when they were invested in it for so long, but I also know how fandoms get. Sonic fandoms being pretty notorious as is so none of the blaming/crying about it surprises me.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I literally saw Ian begging (not seriously, but still) Sega on Twitter to let them use the FFers again a few weeks ago. (I want to say it was a post by Cristina Vee about voicing Bunnie Rabbot.) The idea they hate the characters (but are simultaneously mad he's writing one of the characters too much like one of them) is just nonsense.

I've seen some of the weird hate that comes their way via Twitter exchanges, but I didn't realize there was a big blow-up about it the other day. That's awful.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as to why people think sega would ever care about archie characters

Like I've always loved STC but I don't expect sega to ever give a damn over those ones.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused as to why people think sega would ever care about archie characters

Like I've always loved STC but I don't expect sega to ever give a damn over those ones.

The truth is a fair number of the people on the US side grew up liking them. I think they'd be happy to put them back into action if it was safe and approved to do so. There's just the issue of convincing Japanese management, and of course what to do about Penders and the legal claim. (And potentially the other writers.)

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling Archie is probably flexing some over those characters, too. Technically Archie doesn't own Princess Sally and the Freedom Fighters, but I'm sure after the legal mess Ken Penders created, those waters are very muddy now and nobody wants to touch any of that ever again.

I'd love to see them come back, but I accepted a long time ago that it's never happening. Maybe 10 or 15 years from now, if the comic is still going, they'll bring them back for a single special issue. But with Penders still threatening us with his dipshit Lara-Su Chronicles book, the dust has not yet settled on what happened at Archie Comics.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, this is one of those instances where it doesn't really matter what the truth is in terms of ownership, they just don't want to deal anymore. You saw a bit of that with the reboot of Archie and then the eventual cancellation...nobody wants to be anywhere near all that stuff anymore because it's a legal nightmare waiting to happen.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
In the end, I think they'll work it out and bring the FFs back in the comic...eventually. It just may take a while. It's not like they'd be able to bring them back verbatim, anyway. Without their former established connections to Sonic and the main cast, Sally and crew would be basically treated as all-new characters, anyway. Which honestly may be for the best, but I'd leave that to Flynn and his crew to work out.

But in the end, I remain encouraged. IDW was able to twist some arms enough at Nick/Viacom, so that Slash and, later, the Mutanimals were freed from the depths of obscurity that made it seem like they were never going to appear in TMNT media ever again. Likewise, IDW has such a good repertoire with Hasbro, nowadays, that the latter allows them to do almost whatever they want with the Transformers books.

Granted, neither of those companies are Sega, but IDW's people always seems like the kind that can afford to bide their time, and just keep bringing certain subject matters up with copyright holders until they get their way.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I Dont think they are coming back. The way flynn has described it sounds , while hes trying to stay hopeful and there are people who advocating for it. It's kind of a no go.

Ian flynn said a very specific line that I think sums up the current relationship with Sega. "Different but not the same". He elaborates before they were more lenient on characters and stricter or narratives. Now its the reverse ian claims. So you can have a zombie apocalypse, but shadow cant act like shadow because sega guy has "ideas". And even if/when that weird little bit of characterization gets fixed I don't see it changing for anyone else. Sega wants to be in control of what these characters present as and who gets to be presented.

Like sticks is not only MIA ian isnt allowed to use her. So if it's like that, I just dont see them coming back. Especially with the baggage it may carry for sega.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling Archie is probably flexing some over those characters, too. Technically Archie doesn't own Princess Sally and the Freedom Fighters, but I'm sure after the legal mess Ken Penders created, those waters are very muddy now and nobody wants to touch any of that ever again.
I think the DIC cartoon characters are the only Western designs Sega knows they hold the rights to, or the FFs wouldn't have survived into the Archie reboot in the first place, or been later joined by a bunch of AoStH reworks.

More likely that Sega's just being weird about keeping each individual branch of the IP sealed off from each other again.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The non stop incessant yelling about a 3foot hedgehog with PTSD may have actually worked

Last edited:

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The non stop incessant yelling about a 3foot hedgehog with PTSD may have actually worked

It really hasn't. Evan says right there Ian's writing the miniseries and will be taking turns writing the main book.

He's also writing Drogune, Cosmo?, and who knows what else. If Sega does have a US Sonic cartoon in the works, I suspect he'd be on the short list to write for that. (He previously wrote an episode for Sonic Boom, I had forgotten.)

To be fair, though, nobody could begrudge him taking a break or stopping if he wanted to.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It really hasn't. Evan says right there Ian's writing the miniseries and will be taking turns writing the main book.

Oh you haven't gotten the other news

There is a new story about shadow that is in comic previews that is just him hanging out with rouge and cream doing chao races. Ian said like.. a couple months ago that if he wasn't able to write shadow how he wanted shadow might not show up for a while.

The yelling about a 3 foot hedgehog with ptsd may have actually worked

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh you haven't gotten the other news

There is a new story about shadow that is in comic previews that is just him hanging out with rouge and cream doing chao races. Ian said like.. a couple months ago that if he wasn't able to write shadow how he wanted shadow might not show up for a while.

The yelling about a 3 foot hedgehog with ptsd may have actually worked

I saw that, but didn't understand that's what you were referring to. This is the problem with vagueposting. They all probably have PTSD after a zombie apocalypse.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that, but didn't understand that's what you were referring to. This is the problem with vagueposting. They all probably have PTSD after a zombie apocalypse.
Sorry I guess. I mean status quo wise shadow is the one with PTSD when everything kinda returns to normal. I suppose in context that was confusing my bad

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Shoutouts to the bunches of fans making pretty well thought out videos about their gripes for the franchise these days. And actually willing to combat bad pervasive thought when it comes to the franchise.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
👀

Ryan Drummond (Sonic's voice actor for Sonic Adventure) tweeted a picture of Sonic's arm holding a Chaos Emerald saying "Hmmmmm. What is this before me?"

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Dunno if I can trust current Sonic Team with Adventure remake.
Now if it was handled by a non-Sonic Team with minimal development control...I might be interested.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Apparently Jun Senoue is gonna be taking questions from stream chat from the music stream. Neat.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they got Mike on board, given how he's usually pretty adamant about only doing the voice in an official capacity these days.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm very surprised Mike Pollock is even allowed to provide voice over for unofficial media. Don't contracts have a clause about that? Unless he's not voicing Eggman or something.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It'll be so strange to hear Drummond's Sonic and Pollock's Eggman in the same project; i'm pretty pumped for this.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy Mike's involved, but add me to the list of people concerned that he's involved. Unless Sega has just gotten that cool about it.