Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it'll be a repeat of 2, except Metal stays bad and Sonic and Shadow take it on together. Potentially messy if Amy and Big really join the fray too. What can Big really offer to justify the screentime?

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
If this is true, it should be a two-part movie. Way too much to put into one film. Hopefully we leave Earth too.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
What does he need to offer?

Big the Cat goes where Big the Cat wants!

That's fair.

8c0e1df3324308ad1b448616e76fe855799f10c1r1-451-253_hq.gif

If this is true, it should be a two-part movie. Way too much to put into one film. Hopefully we leave Earth too.

Can you imagine Sonic getting a two part movie arc akin to the likes of the Avengers? That'd just be too good, simply because no one could see it coming years ago.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
> Metal finally gets into the movie verse

Hell yeah

> Shares screen time and the villain role with Shadow

What the fuck no

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a very fine difference between a random leak on the internet and a synopsis being shared through a publication like Production Weekly. You can see the reference to the film being in their latest issue on their own site.

I say reportedly in the title only because Paramount have not yet shared it themselves directly.

There's some really dumb mistakes in the synopsis that I don't quite see how an official release could have made. Like, calling the master emerald the chaos emerald and then making up the term "mini emeralds" when the 2nd film already established the proper terms for those doesn't make sense.

> Metal finally gets into the movie verse

Hell yeah

> Shares screen time and the villain role with Shadow

What the fuck no

As far as adaptations of the games go, which is still what these are, Metal sonic isn't even a character. He literally doesn't have motivations beyond "I wanna beat sonic :'(" which as you'll note, is not enough to make a film script out of. His biggest claim to fame, being the villain in sonic heroes, he has literally 4 lines in the entire game and 2 of them are variations of "Person x's data successfully copied". One is essentially "I'm gonna kill everything!" and the 4th one being "I wanna beat sonic :'(".

Metal sonic stans are lucky he even gets to be the dirt on shadows boot, when he puts it straight on Metals face if this synopsis is accurate, frankly.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yea this ain't SA2's timeline at all. Metal sonic and shadow never met.

Don't think big and shadow ever met either.

Also no hint of e-102 (gamma) good because I don't want to cry 😭

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
There's some really dumb mistakes in the synopsis that I don't quite see how an official release could have made. Like, calling the master emerald the chaos emerald and then making up the term "mini emeralds" when the 2nd film already established the proper terms for those doesn't make sense.

Kinda reminds me of when the synopsis for the second film leaked, actually.

www.resetera.com

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie synopsis leaked

After settling in Green Hills, Sonic is ready for more freedom, and Tom and Maddie agree to leave him home while they go on vacation. But, no sooner are they gone, when Dr. Robotnik comes back, this time with a new partner, Knuckles, in search for an emerald that has the power to both build and...

After settling in Green Hills, Sonic is ready for more freedom, and Tom and Maddie agree to leave him home while they go on vacation. But, no sooner are they gone, when Dr. Robotnik comes back, this time with a new partner, Knuckles, in search for an emerald that has the power to both build and destroy civilizations. Sonic teams up with his own sidekick, Tails, and together they embark on a journey to find the emerald before it falls into the wrong hands. Being directed by Jeff Fowler, and starring Jim Carrey, James Marsden, and Ben Schwartz.

Just called it an "emerald" when in the final movie, it was obviously the Master Emerald.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of this could change for the movie canon (which has already changed a lot already).

Which is what confuses me. If you have to invent a completely original character: which they have no choice but to do for metal sonic, what are people even asking to be adapted?

Yes, the films are broad strokes adaptations, but you still have the general beats there like Knuckles thinking protecting the master emerald is his lifes purpose, tails being more mechanically minded and less confident foil to sonic and such.
For Shadow I don't expect them to have the exact same storyline from Adventure 2 or Shadow the hedgehog, but they'll still have the same general background, with Shadow designed by Gerald who is out for revenge, and probably something about losing Maria, even if it's not the exact same. There's nothing like that to do with metal sonic. His entire "character" is "There's a robot that looks like a bit like sonic".

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
As far as adaptations of the games go, which is still what these are, Metal sonic isn't even a character. He literally doesn't have motivations beyond "I wanna beat sonic :'(" which as you'll note, is not enough to make a film script out of. His biggest claim to fame, being the villain in sonic heroes, he has literally 4 lines in the entire game and 2 of them are variations of "Person x's data successfully copied". One is essentially "I'm gonna kill everything!" and the 4th one being "I wanna beat sonic :'(".

Metal sonic stans are lucky he even gets to be the dirt on shadows boot, when he puts it straight on Metals face if this synopsis is accurate, frankly.
You made the mistake of assuming that my dislike was for Metal losing screen time/importance. I care about how Shadow is handled faaaar more than Metal, because he's an iconic villain with a story that deserves to be adapted.

That said, you've quoted my Metal Sonic posts here before, so I don't really feel like reiterating why he'd be good for a movie in your eyes. If nothing else, entire dragon ball movies are built around just as simple premises for their villains, and Metal can skyrocket to the same iconic status of Shadow with his Heroes story and a little grease to his Neo form. Don't go out of your way to kick one of the few badass villains the series has just because you can't think of a way he can work lol

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

I'm not sure I'd consider Sonic Heroes his "biggest claim to fame". Who even remembers he's in it? Who even thinks about Sonic Heroes today?
He's the Sonic CD villain first and foremost.

And he was an alright antagonist in the Sonic OVA.

You are correct that he doesn't have much in the way of clear motivations in the few games he appeared in. This does give the writers something to play with and built upon for their adaption, hopefully without rewriting or undoing what we already know and love.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Huh…seems weird to have Metal and Shadow introduced in the same movie…they serve very similar purposes other than Shadow's eventual turn to hero.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
I'm not sure I'd consider Sonic Heroes his "biggest claim to fame". Who even remembers he's in it? Who even thinks about Sonic Heroes today?
He's the Sonic CD villain first and foremost.

And he was an alright antagonist in the Sonic OVA.

You are correct that he doesn't have much in the way of clear motivations in the few games he appeared in. This does give the writers something to play with and built upon for their adaption, hopefully without rewriting or undoing what we already know and love.
CD is definitely the most remembered, but he also gets defeated fairly quickly as a badnik boss in the game, which a lot of people complain about his portrayal to begin with. It's where the "he's just a robot" mentality comes from and works against him.

Heroes is Metal's biggest claim to fame because it's the Mainline Game equivalent to the OVA, where he breaks away as his own villain as "something more" than a badnik. The OVA had him work as an antagonist by using him as a perfect foil to Sonic, until the end where he breaks his programming and determines there is only one real Sonic, before dying in a pool of lava. Heroes is the opposite in that he goes mad from the paradox of thinking he is Sonic but can't beat him, rebels against his creator, and grasps for any means necessary to beat him, in a bundle of illogical paradoxes and ego. He barely shows up in the game, and the saturday morning cartoon writing is working against it, but the moments that are there define the internal madness still referenced to this day.

Both Heroes Metal and Shadow serve similar story beats that you can build an entire movie around, with the "subserviant Eggman lackey has a twist reveal and becomes the final villain" set up; you'd just have to focus on Metal's gradual madness and desperation as opposed to Shadow's gradual progression from revenge to heroism

Jun 22, 2021
I hope we get a Shadow the Hedgehog movie/tv show based on the game of the same name.

Also hope we get a Team Chaotix post credit scene.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much exactly in line with my prediction except I never expected them to bring in Big this early. I thought it would be Shadow, Metal, and Amy.

I wonder if this is so they can build towards Amy's spin off cast sooner, since they said they want to build up to a cinematic universe with multiple side stories. Beyond, ya know, just Big being obvious comic relief and for the memes.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Oh hell yeah, this is actually kinda what I was thinking of. I'm glad Metal is being brought in.

My ultimate wish is that they do a nod towards the OVA cuz that would make me mark out so much

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm guessing that the ending will be akin to Generations/Worlds Collide plot line where
main villain tries to change the past with the help of the Chaos Emeralds but screws it up. Would be a good way for Jim Carrey to retire as Robotnik and introduce a new actor for future Robotnik

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
What an insane synopsis. I genuinely never expected them to have Metal and Shadow in the same movie. Obviously Sonic and Shadow need a more evil character to team up against by the end, but I thought they'd use Chaos or Biolizard.

Amy is expected but lol at Big of all characters getting in. Between this, Frontiers, and Sonic Prime, I like how they're treating him as an important part of the cast again instead of the unwanted joke character relegated to spin-offs he became post-Heroes. No Rouge is a bummer but it sounds like she wouldn't have much room to breathe with all the other additions. Maybe they want to save her for the inevitable Shadow spin-off.

ThatMeanScene

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Damn, that sucks. I want Metal to have his own focus in a future film and for Rouge to be in the film
In his place. Bummer that we won't be getting an adapted SA2 movie. :-(

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Is it normal for a synopsis to leak stuff like major characters that properly won't be revealed until near release? I thought they were usually pretty vague. Seems to good to be true.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
introducing big instead of rouge, when shadow and knuckle are in the picture is weird, we'll see

Hope they'll manage to get shadow enough tim despite metal sonic being there

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Metal Sonic?
Amy and Big?
Hell not even "and" but more so Big?? Come on now
Nah, this way too much of a fan dream/good to be true
Or rather, I can believe the Metal Sonic if the end result is something akin to Metal Overlord, can't JUST be shadow

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Mini Emeralds and Big the Cat don't make sense until you realize that those "Mini Emeralds" are actually the Time Stones. Maria gets shot like usual but Big will go back in time to save her life by heroically taking the bullet instead which makes Shadow become a good guy. Oh yeah... it's all coming together.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Gotta love how even the movies have now embraced the "More Sonic buddies! More Sonic buddies! We've got Big the Cat now!" approach to storytelling. I mean, if people keep going to see the movies, God Bless. I look forward to seeing the cinematic versions of Charmy Bee and Cream the Rabbit in Sonic 4.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If this were to turn out to be true, this might be where I tap out. I've really enjoyed the first two but this sounds like two much. And just like the games, once you introduce more than the original three heroes my interest falls off precipitously.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds pretty hype. Hope its true and good. My biggest issue with rhe 2nd one was when they took away focus from sonic and friends for their original characters who took up way too much screentime in the sequel.

Shaqnificent

Aug 1, 2022
It's kinda wild that I'm looking forward to the Sonic movie for an exciting action-packed story and not the games, but the first two movies were fantastic. I'm fully on board with this.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Shadow
was already confirmed from the end credits in Sonic 2. I would rather they just kept the next movie about him vs Sonic than introduce several other characters.