Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Woah, giant ring making Sonic break the sound barrier and warp. This shit is crazy.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The ball dropping pig!
Stone Spike version of Ball Hog
KGS0k4Q.png

Nov 1, 2017
There's a sprite for spindashing. Looks like they thought of the concept before Sonic 2. That or it was an unused rolling animation.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
A lot of these early sound effects are interesting, a lot of them went unused entirely.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Well, what a way to start 2021 (or end 2020 for some of you). I'll update the OP with the stream VOD once they upload it to YouTube.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
There's some even earlier stuff we know about that's been cut by this build, but wow this was a lot further back in development than I ever thought we'd get to see. What an incredible find.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube reupload is up for those who missed it!

Added it and some screenshots to the OP as well

technically this is a separate video they made earlier even if it shows much of same stuff, you can tell it's shorter

Personal highlights:
  • I did not expect fist pump jump to be player controlled
  • Palette of Sparkling was cool, but those flashing effects are awful

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
based on all the angles it's probably more likely some kind of fast directional movement thing. Maybe related to the warp tubes in clock ork?
That's been the theory for a while (sprites were there in final game, just with less coding or something) - 8-bit Sonic 1 does something similar with its take on Scrap Brain teleporters.

though honestly I'm not sure if you didn't know this already, but someone here probably didn't

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That's been the theory for a while (sprites were there in final game, just with less coding or something) - 8-bit Sonic 1 does something similar with its take on Scrap Brain teleporters.

though honestly I'm not sure if you didn't know this already, but someone here probably didn't
I did not. It just made more sense than it being a beta spindash because of the multiple orientations and the fact that they didn't use it for Sonic CD's spindash.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
By now, HPZ uploaded the recorded livestream footage as well, though I would probably recommend the previous video unless you want to sift through Twitch chat or see the midnight joke. Still, here it is:

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This is fucking HUGE. The first ever discovered prototype of Sonic 1, after nearly 30 years. The folks at hiddenpalace are godsends. Can't wait to watch this.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's wild seeing those UFOs from the early screenshots in action.

I wonder how many prototypes of major games are still out there, and how many have deteriorated beyond recovery. I remember back in 1994, one day a regular at the game shop I worked at brought in his SNES game copier and a box of floppies of prototypes of games that hadn't been released yet, like DKC and FFIII (VI), as well as some half-done localizations of weird games that I never saw again. I think about that sometimes.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Did they say how they got ahold of this prototype?
The collector who currently owns a physical copy literally approached drx and co. to do it before selling it off in the future. Some magazine is apparently doing a story on further details.

Further personal highlights:
  • Spike Damage Behavior 0: Origins is one of those discoveries that make the previously saner explanation sound wrong. At that point I'm way more willing to believe it was a genuine bug. For those who didn't watch the stream - not sure how obvious it is in precooked version - this proto's version of "spike bug" can literally hurt Sonic with an invisibility monitor, not just when recovering from damage.
  • Is the GHZ layout mostly the same thing except with balls? It sure looks like so to my untrained eyes, though mostly is the operative word.
  • Marble Zone pillar doing a Barrel of Doom thing is hilarious.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oooo more Genesis Sonic to check out! That Sonic 3 Nov 1993 build was so much fun to nerd out over.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A night time palette for Green Hill? Weird. Wonder if this is something like the Night Mode in Sonic 2 and 3.

Nah that was a debug tool. The Genesis had rudimentary highlighting and shadowing capabilities in its display processor that could be applied to individual tiles. Sonic Team cleverly used it as a way to visually see if the layering of their graphics was correct. By layering I mean whether a specific tile is drawn under or over the various sprite objects, Sonic included.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Is Sonic throwing his fist up in the air to celebrate when jumping after clearing a zone? I wonder if they removed that because it looks like Mario when he jumps and punches blocks and they didn't want any comparisons.

sonicawjkc.jpg
d38d01c1dfdbd964f58b8324bccaebc5.jpg
622-6226220_super-mario-bros-3-mario-jump-sprite-hd.png

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Nah that was a debug tool. The Genesis had rudimentary highlighting and shadowing capabilities in its display processor that could be applied to individual tiles. Sonic Team cleverly used it as a way to visually see if the layering of their graphics was correct. By layering I mean whether a specific tile is drawn under or over the various sprite objects, Sonic included.
There's some stuff in here that can only be explained by some orthogonal bug or oddity if it's just the well known layering test mode (like red/bloody grass around rocks). I'd need to watch that section again to be sure if it's that at all or not.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's some stuff in here that can only be explained by some orthogonal bug or oddity if it's just the well known layering test mode (like red/bloody grass around rocks). I'd need to watch that section again to be sure if it's that at all or not.

Oh yeah I wasn't drawing any definite conclusions about the palette stuff in this prototype, just clarifying that the night mode stuff in S2/3 almost certainly has nothing to do with it.

resultant

Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
For a few seconds I thought this was the infamous build with the little goblin enemy thing. Cool either way, but I would love to see that build even though it is almost certainly never going to happen.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the "sparkling zone" here reminds me of china town in Revenge of Shinobi
This had me curious if any people worked on both games. Looking at Revenge of Shinobi's credits on mobygames, it seems like Gen/MD Sonic 1 has no overlap of staff with it. Almost everyone who worked on Revenge of Shinobi appears on the credits of later Sonic games, though.

Oct 28, 2017
For a few seconds I thought this was the infamous build with the little goblin enemy thing. Cool either way, but I would love to see that build even though it is almost certainly never going to happen.
never say never. "we'll almost certainly never find it" was previously said about the sonic 2 nick arcade prototype, and the sonic 3 magazine preview build, and now this sonic 1 build being the most legendary of all the found sonic protos so far. all are in our hands now. that one may yet be found, too!

resultant

Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
never say never. "we'll almost certainly never find it" was previously said about the sonic 2 nick arcade prototype, and the sonic 3 magazine preview build, and now this sonic 1 build being the most legendary of all the found sonic protos so far. all are in our hands now. that one may yet be found, too!
I would usually agree, but didn't Yuji Naka straight up say that build was accidentally destroyed? I thought they said that pretty recently too so they must have looked for it at some point.

I agree it's not impossible, we can dream!

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I wasn't drawing any definite conclusions about the palette stuff in this prototype, just clarifying that the night mode stuff in S2/3 almost certainly has nothing to do with it.
Oh, right, sorry. I misparsed what you said. I'm inclined to agree with them being unrelated, in fact, based on the entire GHZ loop being dark, while shadow-highlight mode would by necessity color one part differently from the other.

By the way, it's such an odd feature for a sprite chip to have; I wonder if VDP designers just threw it together from leftover transistor budget in a hurry. I can't imagine that many games making a good use of it.