• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I need to stress it again because NO English media mentions it, but there is a Story Mode that goes through Sonic 1 > CD > 2 > 3&K (in that order) together as a single campaign, and the new animated cutscenes are for THAT mode. It's the first option on this Spinball inspired menu below:

mode-story-ss.jpg

No indication of how character choice or Emerald progress carries between games from the description.

Site also mentions that some of the purchasable items for the museum are "never-before seen" materials from the original game development.
The games themselves account for Emerald progress.

At the end of Sonic 1 the 6 emeralds Sonic collected make some flowers bloom and then fly off leaving Sonic confused

At the beginning of Sonic 3 Sonic still has the emeralds from Sonic 2 and Knuckles punches them out of him and steals them.

At the start of Mushroom Hill Sonic warps to Hidden Palace Zone and the emeralds leave his possession and turn into the Super Emeralds.

The tricky part will be what happens if you don't have all the emeralds at the end of Sonic 1 and 2? Will Sonic start Sonic 3 on a surfboard if you don't have all the emeralds from Sonic 2?
PoshHalfCoypu-size_restricted.gif

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I've played through all of Mania without ever knowing how to use the drop dash. I would only trigger it accidentaly.
Same.

In fact, there was an option to change the Drop Dash to either the Super Peel-Out or the Insta-Shield and I almost always went through the game with one of those options. I never quite got the hang of the Drop Dash.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017

The tricky part will be what happens if you don't have all the emeralds at the end of Sonic 1 and 2? Will Sonic start Sonic 3 on a surfboard if you don't have all the emeralds from Sonic 2?

Restoring the surfing animation in an official release would be sick as hell, but I might never see it as I always collect all the emeralds in Sonic 2 pretty early on.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Did they show the last Island background for whatever menu is after after Sonic Spinball's? I really hope they got a 3D model of Chaotix' Newtrogic High Zone in there 😭

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I have those but there are some of us that prefer an official release. I will likely get on both Switch and Steam in the long run and will buy Physical. I did the same for Mania and I made way less back then.
It'll be great as something you don't have to put so much work into to get the games set up nicely. There's quite a few steps involved in getting the decomps and mods going and several options to tweak. If you're not into that kind of thing.

I knew about the decompilations, but thanks for the heads-up on Sonic CD Restored!

Is it worth playing if you prefer the 2011 remake's changes? From what I can tell, the main benefits seem to be Knuckles, Sonic 3's shields, and instantaneous time travel (which does seem quite nice).
From Restored's options, I like the dropdash, time limit off, Tails flight cancel, time travel overhaul and easy time travel posts. I wasn't really a fan of CD before playing it with Restored's improvements. The time travel options help a lot. It also increases the UFO hitboxes in special stages so they aren't so hard to hit.

Restored does need a few extra mods to fully unlock it's potential. The full stack should be something like this:
Code:
[mods]
Psycho-Egg Hard Mode=false
Addon for SCD Restored - And Knuckles=true
CheatFreak's Tweaks & Prime OST Music=true
ShieldsPlus=true
Sonic CD Restored=true

Those are all mainly for Knuckles and being able to customize the soundtrack.

I'm looking forward to the CD Extended Revival mod, which should be more like the Remastered Ex mods and easier to install.

Last edited:

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
I hope we get previews that can discuss the sonic 3 soundtrack, since it seems SEGA aren't saying anything.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The Drop Dash is a life changer and I never want to play a 2D Sonic game without it now. Once the muscle memory to do it is there you'll be keeping your momentum up more than you could previously.

At the end of Sonic 1 the 6 emeralds Sonic collected make some flowers bloom and then fly off leaving Sonic confused

At the beginning of Sonic 3 Sonic still has the emeralds from Sonic 2 and Knuckles punches them out of him and steals them.

At the start of Mushroom Hill Sonic warps to Hidden Palace Zone and the emeralds leave his possession and turn into the Super Emeralds.

There's that, but i'm also thinking about the completion percentage the menu shows. Will 100% require getting the Emeralds in all four games? Or will only 3&K matter for that in the end. They've got perfect excuses for the emeralds going away if you got them all, or and if you didn't get them all there's other ways around that.

There's no chance they don't implement the surfboard intro for this exact scenario.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Put me down as another long time Sonic player who never got into the habit of using the drop dash in Mania. I'm not a speed runner though and especially if I'm rusty with a level I may want to slow down for a sec and consider if I even want to spin dash through the next area.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
There's technically nothing to "announce." It would be like saying, "Sonic 1 includes the original Genesis music!"

To this day, the music rights issues are still just rumors. It has never been confirmed by Sega and when the game was previously re-released in the Mega Collection and on Xbox 360, it had the Genesis music so it's not as if there's a recent history of Sonic 3's music being replaced that they would need to react to.

I wonder, if it is because of MJ, if it has something to do w/ his estate and rights. he died in 2009, which was the last time those titles were released (or thereabouts).

May 12, 2020
It'll be great as something you don't have to put so much work into to get the games set up nicely. There's quite a few steps involved in getting the decomps and mods going and several options to tweak. If you're not into that kind of thing.

From Restored's options, I like the dropdash, time limit off, Tails flight cancel, time travel overhaul and easy time travel posts. I wasn't really a fan of CD before playing it with Restored's improvements. The time travel options help a lot. It also increases the UFO hitboxes in special stages so they aren't so hard to hit.

Restored does need a few extra mods to fully unlock it's potential. The full stack should be something like this:
Code:
[mods]
Psycho-Egg Hard Mode=false
Addon for SCD Restored - And Knuckles=true
CheatFreak's Tweaks & Prime OST Music=true
ShieldsPlus=true
Sonic CD Restored=true

Those are all mainly for Knuckles and being able to customize the soundtrack.

I'm looking forward to the CD Extended Revival mod, which should be more like the Remastered Ex mods and easier to install.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait until the CD Extended Revival mod comes out; I've played Sonic CD so many times (via the mobile port) that I'm not super eager to zoom through hoops to play an improved version. However, it's good to hear that people are still actively improving these games.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I was excited untill I saw the lack of regional price on Steam. Jesus LATAM can't catch a break with those prices with every new release announced.

214 BRL for standard edition, day 1 DLC for Sega Genesis games and Denuvo, well done SEGA.

May 12, 2020
Play Sonic 3 AIR now or wait for this?

Sonic 3 AIR is pretty darn great - runs smoothly, has widescreen, has some content improvements from the Sonic 3 Complete Hack, etc. If you own Sonic 3 on Steam and aren't interested in the new content that Origin is offering, I'd say go for it. Sonic 3 Complete is also worth checking out, by the way - the level of customization for that hack is absurd.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wN3UdWTEuE. Based on the description, it looks like loads of crazy mods are available since I last played Sonic 3 AIR. I'd say skip Sonic 3 Complete and go straight for AIR instead.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017

I've played through all of Mania without ever knowing how to use the drop dash. I would only trigger it accidentaly.

How do you use it?

Same.

In fact, there was an option to change the Drop Dash to either the Super Peel-Out or the Insta-Shield and I almost always went through the game with one of those options. I never quite got the hang of the Drop Dash.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Funny timing to tweet about Chaotix considering it isn't part of the collection, lol.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
A thought just popped into my head. Hopefully this has more/better trophies and a platinum compared to Sonic Mania.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I really wish the Gems collection was at least included as well. 4 classic games with some extra features seems really sad for a collection for a 30+ year old character nowadays. These DLC features just feel gross, too.

I'd do anything for a 3D Sonic collection, though.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I've always said I would pay any amount of money to get a Taxman port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles so this price is nothing for me. Day 1, and probably Day 1 on multiple platforms.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Rather than MD or GG games no one's going to play, I'd have liked to see Sonic World remastered from Sonic Jam for the Museum stuff.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
If they're advertising menu animations, there's not going to be any secret games lol
Haha definitely. You can bet no playable Mighty, Ray or Amy.

It's a shame, because the former 2 could be pretty easily implemented into the games.

Rather than MD or GG games no one's going to play, I'd have liked to see Sonic World remastered from Sonic Jam for the Museum stuff.
Definitely. It's a cool piece of history that would fit in a compilation nicely, imo. I think it would read well even with casual audience as something specifically meant to evoke retro gaming, so it wouldn't be out of place imo

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Well, I've asked a few of the developers on Twitter to please stop working with SEGA until the company promises to stop using Denuvo. I know it's not much but I hope it helps.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I feel like I need to stress it again because NO English media mentions it, but there is a Story Mode that goes through Sonic 1 > CD > 2 > 3&K (in that order) together as a single campaign, and the new animated cutscenes are for THAT mode. It's the first option on this Spinball inspired menu below:

mode-story-ss.jpg
The story mode is actually a pretty appealing feature imo. Will at least make new playthroughs fresh.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This thread is long; has this tweet been posted yet?

Further confirmation of Hidden Palace as it was in the mobile remaster, but there's also debug mode coordinates there in the top right corner; so there are definitely extra features for the games not seen in the footage thus far. Probably saving stuff like that and the Drop Dash for a separate announcement later.

Oct 25, 2017

mode-story-ss.jpg

No indication of how character choice or Emerald progress carries between games from the description.

Site also mentions that some of the purchasable items for the museum are "never-before seen" materials from the original game development.
What a great idea to unify all of the games. Man, I wish the 3D titles could get treatment even close to this in a fabled collection.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Supposedly there was a leak before the announcement trailer that got the trailer date right, release date right, and everything else about the game right but also said Metal Sonic would be unlockable for Sonic 1,2,&3&K.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Supposedly there was a leak before the announcement trailer that got the trailer date right, release date right, and everything else about the game right but also said Metal Sonic would be unlockable for Sonic 1,2,&3&K.
The PS Store description leaked a few hours before the trailer so all of that depends on when this supposed leak was posted. Got a link?