• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which was the better sonic adventure game?

• Sonic Adventure

Votes: 142 41.0%
  • Sonic Adventure 2

Votes: 204 59.0%

• Total voters

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to compare them because they both have huge strengths and huge flaws in different ways. Adventure 2 has a more engaging story, I like the soundtrack more, and the animation is a vast improvement over Adventure 1's flapping mouths and canned animations, but I've come to prefer Adventure 1 over the years as the actual gameplay is much better. The mech and treasure hunting stages that make up 2/3rds of the SA2 experience are just slow, tedious, and awful compared to the Gamma and Knuckles stages in the first game.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They've both aged terribly and I find them kinda unplayable these days, but 2 is the better one.

Plus 2 doesn't have Big the Cat so that's pretty much an auto-win.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
SA2 is the DMC2 of the series.
No. No it wasn't.

SA2 wasn't brown and dull.
SA2 wasn't rejected by the fan community when it was released.
SA2 didn't have boring lifeless levels with nothing in them.
SA2 isn't one of the Sonic games that people tell you to skip when playing the series.
SA2 is loved, flaws and all, by Sonic fans.

Really bad comparison here. Respect why you might not like SA2 but this analogy doesn't work.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I love Adventure 2 and even like Heroes a lot, but I can't stand Adventure 1. So many pointless empty hub worlds requiring you to run around and take trains and such for no reason. The levels aren't very well designed, the physics seem off, just never got into the game. I spent thousands of hours in Adventure 2 though

Adventure 2 and Heroes are the best Sonic games imo

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
SA2 overall, but that first level of SA1 is iconic, and is the best of both of them

They're both pretty terrible games to play now though

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Adventure 2 has its merits and probably has the more polished gameplay, but Adventure 1 is more memorable and charming across the board and has by far the better soundtrack, so it's Adventure 1 for me.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
SA2 has better levels and presentation (and Chao Garden), but SA1 has significantly better controls and I like its style of having several stories that cross each other, and there being hub worlds and such, over SA2 having only two stories and both being extremely linear. SA2's missions beyond the main story ones are also very tedious honestly, especially Knuckles' and Rouge's.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Sonic 06 is adventure 3 in all but name.
It will only ever be SA3 if everything about the game wasn't a shadow of its former self with SA1 + 2.

The game had so much potential, if they were given more time to refine it and cut out some of the weird/shitty sections. Would have been something decent, even with the Silver stages.

If they ever go back to the Adventure formula, i hope they focus on making Sonic control well for a 3D platformer (SA2 did this perfectly) and have open ended design from SA1.

They could still keep the faster gameplay from Unleashed/Generations as mach speed sections through a temporary Boost power up (which can act like the Speed Shoes from previous games).

To answer the OP, I picked SA1, although SA2 did refine the speed stages considerably.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Sonic Adventure 1 is a better overall package, but Sonic Adventure 2 has a MUCH better Chao Garden and the Sonic/Shadow levels are seriously really fun to play. Sonic is especially good, and the combination of his bounce attack and grind rails make it feel like a full-on parkour game where you try to get from point A to point B both as fast AND as stylishly as possible. There's whole sections of levels where you can effectively play "the floor is lava". It's a shame we never got anything like that ever again.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Playing SA2 right now and the Knuckles > Tails > Knuckles > Tails > Tails patch is rough as fuck.

RedWolfe

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Don't make me choose :(

I'd probably say SA2 was more polished in terms of the gameplay system in general and I spent many hours with friends in the multiplayer portion.

However, I really dug the Adventure vs Action Stage dynamic in SA1. It was fun to just kind of explore even though it's was very easy to grind your progress to a halt because you couldn't figure out where the f**k to go. The larger forest area in the Mystic Ruins and the deck of the Egg Carrier over worlds were fun to just mess around and try to do ridiculous feats in.

I've probably memorized those games enough to put up a decent leader board time at this point but they're very easy for me to go back and revisit unlike other games from my childhood, silly story aside. It was probably the only game Shadow had decent characterization before they realized they didn't know what to do with him anymore as an anti-hero.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
SA for me - I really liked the hub world. I remember being majorly disappointed that they scrapped that in the second one.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
90% of my playtime in these games are chao related, and SA2 was superior in that regard, so, SA2.