• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
It's not about compression. There's BRR compression on the SNES, but 99% of the time that's not what people are going to mean when they try to describe the way the music sounds. The main form of sample optimization on the SNES is to just physically cut down the length of the samples and then assign loop points to simulate a sustained note. Usually to the point where an instrument just regresses into a simplistic waveform oscillation after the transient.

Oh that's fascinating actually, and makes a lot of sense.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
hmm... the main tune comes in a bit too strongly
but this is cool...
I hope they do some work forother games

I wonder what N64 soundtracks could benefit from this?

Awhile ago I think David Wise or Grant Kirkhope, one of them posted the uncompressed versions of Goldeneye's soundtrack. Here's somebody's upload for that on Youtube:

Similarly, Josh Mancell, the composer for the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games, has been posting "pre-console" (uncompressed) versions of music he did while he was at Naughty Dog. So Crash 1, 2, 3, CTR, and the Jak games:

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Awhile ago I think David Wise or Grant Kirkhope, one of them posted the uncompressed versions of Goldeneye's soundtrack. Here's somebody's upload for that on Youtube:

Similarly, Josh Mancell, the composer for the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games, has been posting "pre-console" (uncompressed) versions of music he did while he was at Naughty Dog. So Crash 1, 2, 3, CTR, and the Jak games:

legit

I hope more of these happen

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I remember downloading the soundtrack, but since lost the download and it had been pulled since. I'd love to have the original uncompressed files again. But oh well...

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
These sound incredible... DKC SNES games have some of the best OSTs of all time (Praise be to David wise) ......

Outstanding stuff

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yo how'd I miss this last year. These sound fantastic.

Can't find the Forest Interlude that was venerated in the first couple pages, though.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Every now and then one of these restorations hits a sour note or an effect or something that doesn't sound quite right and it drives me up a wall. I appreciate what he's doing, and 98% of the time it actually sounds really incredible, but there's that 2% that sticks out like a sore thumb. Like, listening to his version of Treetop Rock from DKC1, the stereo separation on the reverb is set way too high.

I actually have some experience in doing restorations like this, though I don't source them from the original SPC instrumentation -- I usually borrow MIDIs from VGmusic.com.

I'm sure it's easy to be picky about mine too, though.
That orchestral version is really good!

Downloads on his Dropbox have FLAC, MP3, and even the FL Studio project files
If you find that some of the things are off, why don't you try to change them in FLS? Is it too much work or you're just not interested on modifying someone else's stuff? (I'm just curious.)

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
If you find that some of the things are off, why don't you try to change them in FLS? Is it too much work or you're just not interested on modifying someone else's stuff? (I'm just curious.)

I guess I haven't tried, but presumably his FLP files will depend on plugins and instrument libraries I don't have installed. If I tried opening them, I'd get the notations, and maybe some basic settings like reverb/stereo separation, but even that's not a guarantee, depending on his workflow. But I definitely wouldn't have his instrument samples or anything like that.

Fennec

Jan 22, 2019
Am I the only one shedding a couple of tears each and every time he hears DKC ost ?...

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Here is the remastered version of Bayou Boogie

DizzyFamiliarGypsymoth-small.gif

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
This is absolutely incredible. I just finished playing through the entire setlist. It certainly gives me a new level of appreciation for the DKC series. I mean I'm listening to this in my car and I don't even mind it.

Even though it does make me want to...barrel through all this traffic.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Treetop Tumble is sooo good. He pulled all the sounds to the forefront on that one, sounds amazing.

Welcome to Crocodile Isle too omg. It's so clear. Holy shit.

Oct 25, 2017
See, I would totally be down for MSU-1 hacks using stuff like this instead of Bandcamp interpretations. This stuff sounds great.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
While most of these are great, they all have something that doesn't sound quite right in them and it really bothers me. Some samples are too loud, others too quiet. Sometimes it feels like the punch is gone. Sometimes it feels like some samples are cutting too short. Some just sound plain wrong or off-key even. There's always something that sounds off. I hope he will continue to work on them and polish them until they sound just right.

Nov 1, 2017
I think he uploaded the Game Over theme but took it down at some point (there's one deleted video in his playlist). Did anyone here download it in FLAC per chance? I've looped the entire DKC1 soundtrack for an MSU-1 hack, it's now the only track I'm missing (other than the "Lost a Life" and "Level Complete" fanfares, which I know he hasn't done). I'm going to try and contact Sam otherwise.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I think he uploaded the Game Over theme but took it down at some point (there's one deleted video in his playlist). Did anyone here download it in FLAC per chance? I've looped the entire DKC1 soundtrack for an MSU-1 hack, it's now the only track I'm missing (other than the "Lost a Life" and "Level Complete" fanfares, which I know he hasn't done). I'm going to try and contact Sam otherwise.
I can send to you later tonight.

Nov 1, 2017
Can I get in on this too? I would love to have the flac files.
The MP3 and FLAC files are available in the description of each of his videos. Something to note: For the majority of the songs, he has uploaded an extended version and non-extended version of each track (video only). If a FLAC link seems to be down in one of the videos, try the link in the other video.

For whatever reason, I believe he has taken down the Game Over theme for DK1. This is the only track I do not have (not counting the fanfare themes), thus my request. I do have an MP3 of it however: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0keg05vl6xwt3wz/AAAyErsVYP5ud3Eau6SWTVxna/DKC1/Game Over.mp3?dl=0

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
These are neat to listen to vs. them sounding like you're listening through earplugs. LOL They sounds a little strange to me, but that could just be decades of my ears being used to how they originally sounded. The pianos and synths sound amazing.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I've been following his work - looking forward to the inevitable MSU-1 patch so I can play these on real hardware.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These are neat to listen to vs. them sounding like you're listening through earplugs. LOL They sounds a little strange to me, but that could just be decades of my ears being used to how they originally sounded. The pianos and synths sound amazing.
At the end of the day the guy is still mostly recreating the tracks from the ground up (and those SPC to MIDI conversions are never 100% accurate) so there's bound to be differences. Like how the bass is really subdued in his rendition of Funky The Main Monkey. And even though he mostly picked samples Wise used himself, the compression they were put through originally for the game just changed how they sounded altogether. So there are invariably not going to sound quite the same.

These are really great though. It's such an interesting thing to do.

Last edited:

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
goddamn these are great. Is there a mod/romhack for the games yet that incorporates these into the games through emulation?

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Dont know if it has been asked already but I have the OST CD that was given with Donkey Kong Land, are those HQ mixes even better than the CD ones (or were the CD tracks just ripped from the console) ?