Demogorgon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ehhh this is a pretty dumb retcon to try to "get with the times". Lando never showed any attraction to men in the original trilogy or any of the expanded media.

They should just make a new character instead of trying to shove these things onto established characters

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I mean I don't know what you expect.

This isn't Torchwood where Lando's gonna have explicit sex on screen with men. Star Wars has always been pretty chaste and always will be chaste.
Why do people always go straight to sex when it comes to explicit portrayals of queer characters? Leia and Han never had a sex scene but their relationship was explicit. Anakin and Padme never had a sex scene but their relationship was explicit. You don't need sex to have representation, but having two or three lines sprinkled in that some people end up interpreting as potentially flirtatious is not representation.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh this is a pretty dumb retcon to try to "get with the times". Lando never showed any attraction to men in the original trilogy or any of the expanded media.

They should just make a new character instead of trying to shove these things onto established characters

Which women did he show attraction to in the movies and canonical expanded media?

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Why do people always go straight to sex when it comes to explicit portrayals of queer characters? Leia and Han never had a sex scene but their relationship was explicit. Anakin and Padme never had a sex scene but their relationship was explicit. You don't need sex to have representation, but having two or three lines sprinkled in that some people end up interpreting as potentially flirtatious is not representation.

Han and Leia was plot relevant.

I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be any inclusion in Star Wars. Just that having Lando do that exchange with a guy and have it mean nothing to the plot is pandering. Give him his own starring film, have it factor into the plot. It'd be amazing and wonderful to watch.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How old is Donald Glover right now and how old was Billy Dee Williams when he filmed Ep 5 ESB?

What about the Han Solo actor vs HSF when he filmed Ep 4 ANH?

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
You asked what women he was explicitly shown being attracted to. Landon was hitting on Leia minute one of his introduction in ESB.

I know what I did. I'm not sure what you're trying to say to me.

I did it with the intention of pointing out that just because he's shown being attracted to a lady or two doesn't mean he's not attracted to, nor as ever been attracted to, men. It's silly for the poster I was replying to to suggest it can't be true just because he didn't see it.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with these writers just going "btw so and so is gay"

Show. Us. Show us Dumbledore is gay in an actual story. Show us Lando is pansexual in a movie. Don't just mention it safely off screen.

Edit: lmao I just saw "in the film" in title so I better see this in Solo!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I dont care one way or another, but there are some good looking guys in the OT and I don't remember him flirting with anyone other than Leia.

I only remember Han as the only other real non-helmeted/security staff character in all of Lando's scenes. And obviously he isn't going to be laying it on thick with a man he's about to stab in the back.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
If people are this pissed off that we're finding out one thing from this character's past, imagine how they're going to feel after two prequel movies loaded with new information. Some of you better consult a doctor before watching Solo.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
I can sort of see it but come on. The thought never crossed your mind based on ESB or Return of the Jedi. Dude was all over Leia lol.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I only remember Han as the only other real non-helmeted/security staff character in all of Lando's scenes. And obviously he isn't going to be laying it on thick with a man he's about to stab in the back.
He had a scene with Luke at the end of Empire and at the counsel in Return (plus on the Falcon). I guess you could argue those aren't situations where flirting would be appropriate, but then again, either was the situation with Leia.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know what I did. I'm not sure what you're trying to say to me.

I did it with the intention of pointing out that just because he's shown being attracted to a lady or two doesn't mean he's not attracted to, nor as ever been attracted to, men. It's silly for the poster I was replying to to suggest it can't be true just because he didn't see it.
I think the problem is he was portrayed as a scoundrel, which means, especially back then, that he's kind of a playa. I dont think, or at least I hope, nobody is pissed that he's bisexual. I think they're more upset that out of all the characters, han and lando probably seem the least likely to be bi based on the OT.

Gaga Dead Aunt

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Solo' Is the Sexiest 'Star Wars' Movie Since 'The Empire Strikes Back'

I don't trust movie critics about stuff like this after the thinkpieces about Adam Driver because he took off his shirt or something

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Holdo's backstory includes her being ok with having sex with aliens so yea they ARE doing that. If you haven't noticed, there were very few male characters in the original trilogy, despite being focused on a war in galaxy, it's seen solely from the perspective of an incredibly small amount of individuals.

'Solo' Is the Sexiest 'Star Wars' Movie Since 'The Empire Strikes Back'

I don't trust movie critics about stuff like this after the thinkpieces about Adam Driver because he took off his shirt or something
I don't know how you could watch this and not think it's the most blatant metaphor for a sex scene:

Like...it's NOT subtle.

Oct 26, 2017
He's Landosexual. lol
I hope this isn't Beauty and the Beast situation where the character's sexuality felt like an afterthought and not really genuine.
Anyway, it's nice to see more actual effort to include LGBTQ representation in mainstream movies.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How about make a gay character instead of this tiptoeing lipservice bullshit

Disney isn't capable of that, because it would infringe on their Chinese market. Daily reminder that corporations aren't your friends, don't care about you, don't care about art, and don't care about representation unless there's financial incentive—and in this case, it's sadly the opposite.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is just like Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok.

"He's bisexual. We don't show it all during the film. We don't imply it either. But there's one line during the movie that can be taken to mean he's bisexual if you're really reaching. And the writer says it means he's totally bisexual"

It's LGBT representation without LGBT representation.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Holdo's backstory includes her being ok with having sex with aliens so yea they ARE doing that. If you haven't noticed, there were very few male characters in the original trilogy, despite being focused on a war in galaxy, it's seen solely from the perspective of an incredibly small amount of individuals.

I don't know how you could watch this and not think it's the most blatant metaphor for a sex scene:

Like...it's NOT subtle.

I don't think you know what sex is...

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
> People complaining it's a spoiler

How? It's not a 'coming out' moment and his sexuality isn't really plot relevant. It isn't a spoiler. It's not as if the ending of Solo hinges on the fact that actually all along Lando was sexually fluid.

> People complaining 'show us!'

Many times it's said in the thread he flirts with men/women/droids in the film itself. Also his sexuality isn't plot relevant really, do you expect them to shoehorn in a romance with a male, or a scene of him waking up in bed with a droid? It's just a character trait that is apparently apparent within the film.

> People complaining it's a 'retcon'

We don't know much about Lando in general, let alone his sexual preferences. Him being sexually fluid isn't a 'retcon' and wouldn't even feel forced for the sake of inclusive. It's just a character who is sexually fluid.

The mental gymnastics to shit on this. It somehow spoils the film's plot for them, isn't explicitly representative enough or it in fact ruins their childhood memories.

Sure they could do more, but I'm not going to stamp on progress for not being enough.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Droids too?

The way Lando treated Chopper in Rebels now has a whole different meaning.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you know what sex is...
I'm fucking crying. People still make the weirdest conclusions from TLJ LOL

Subtext:an underlying and often distinct theme in a piece of writing or conversation.
Metaphor:a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else

I'd love to hear your interpretations of the scene fam. Because surely the writer of the script didn't know.

Last edited:

brownmagic

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't they just create a new character that is actually LGBT rather than retcon a character? This comes across as pandering.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Disney isn't capable of that, because it would infringe on their Chinese market. Daily reminder that corporations aren't your friends, don't care about you, don't care about art, and don't care about representation unless there's financial incentive—and in this case, it's sadly the opposite.

This is an excuse that's convenient for Disney and other movie studios to hide behind, but it isn't based in reality. For one thing, Star Wars isn't even successful in China despite Disney's best efforts, so it's not like they have much to lose by being banned from the country. Second, there are PLENTY of reasons that blockbuster movies can potentially get banned from China that have nothing to do with homosexuality, yet studios put them in their movies anyway. I mean, just look at this list. Movies can be banned for having zombies, supernatural elements, dystopian themes, too much violence, or Brad Pitt. But queer representation is the only time that people start discussing Chinese market concerns.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

Subtext:an underlying and often distinct theme in a piece of writing or conversation.
Metaphor:a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else

I'd love to hear your interpretations of the scene fam. Because surely the writer of the script didn't know.

He was obviously joking there...

Dec 9, 2017
Seems like Lando likes L3 and that got conflated as Lando likes men because "Lando likes a droid" doesn't bring in the clicks.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He was obviously joking there...
I'm sure they were joking with the way the novel describes it too...what do you think was their intent?

Movies can be banned for having zombies, supernatural elements, dystopian themes, too much violence, or Brad Pitt. But queer representation is the only time that people start discussing Chinese market concerns.
Arguably a less grating form of disingenuousness than "think of the children."

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This is an excuse that's convenient for Disney and other movie studios to hide behind, but it isn't based in reality. For one thing, Star Wars isn't even successful in China despite Disney's best efforts, so it's not like they have much to lose by being banned from the country. Second, there are PLENTY of reasons that blockbuster movies can potentially get banned from China that have nothing to do with homosexuality, yet studios put them in their movies anyway. I mean, just look at this list. Movies can be banned for having zombies, supernatural elements, dystopian themes, too much violence, or Brad Pitt. But queer representation is the only time that people start discussing Chinese market concerns.

Point being that Disney is risk averse and unfortunately simply doesn't care about LGBT representation in any of its endeavors. Star Wars isn't the best example to use for the Chinese market, but the MCU's Chinese market is significant, and the same phenomenon has occurred there with Valkyrie.

Until the media takes them to task for their cowardice—hah—there's little chance of them changing in the near future.

Dec 18, 2017
You would think with the whole "men going their own way" incel thing, and "I don't date women because women are biologically different in terms of personality, including this this and this personality trait that makes them unlikable and uninterested in me".

That such people would be the opposite and welcome the possibility of being attracted to guys, who they think have better personalities.

And yeah, I know MRA isn't the same as MGTOW, but there's a significant overlap.