• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
God, the "lolz social mediuh impressionz" people are insufferable. They show up in every thread. I don't understand why they care so much to need to post the exact same thing in every one.

To be fair, though, these are actually social media impressions, not to be confused with critic impressions. Yes, the two are different, but the "lolz social mediuh impressionz" people will never concede to that.

Wondering if the two will match up. I honestly doubt it, but I am guessing it'll be among the better video game movies. I know that isn't saying much.

Seems like a number of these are from game website folks?

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hahah what?! Well, if these initial impressions are correct, that's great for the movie. I'm happy that the sonic redesign will at least make a difference and was worth it in the end if it helped with the perception it gets and that it wasn't just a waste of time/money for the makers.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it can match the quality of castlevania (yes its a show... But it's basically one long movie. At least the first 2 seasons), then I don't care.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Unless it can match the quality of castlevania (yes its a show... But it's basically one long movie. At least the first 2 seasons), then I don't care.
Castlevania is an interesting frame of reference. I think something like Detective Pikachu would be more appropriate, just because it's also like blending a cartoon video game character with reality.

I liked DP but it wasn't mindblowing. Just a fun video game movie that presents its own spin on the respective property. If Sonic does similarly, I'm sure it'll be a mild success, leaving room for improvement in sequels.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, the "lolz social mediuh impressionz" people are insufferable. They show up in every thread. I don't understand why they care so much to need to post the exact same thing in every one.

To be fair, though, these are actually social media impressions, not to be confused with critic impressions. Yes, the two are different, but the "lolz social mediuh impressionz" people will never concede to that.

Wondering if the two will match up. I honestly doubt it, but I am guessing it'll be among the better video game movies. I know that isn't saying much.

Seems like a number of these are from game website folks?
Generally, it's not indicative of anything. It's just raw fan hype.

BvS and the new Star Wars movie were the same things; positive social media hype followed by mediocre reviews and tepid audience reception. They're useless.

"Faithful to the source material" isn't going to matter to critics because the source material is kind of niche these days and there's basically no buzz outside of video game enthusiasts, the same people who thought Detective Pikachu would be a billion-dollar hit.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania is an interesting frame of reference. I think something like Detective Pikachu would be more appropriate, just because it's also like blending a cartoon video game character with reality.

I liked DP but it wasn't mindblowing. Just a fun video game movie that presents its own spin on the respective property. If Sonic does similarly, I'm sure it'll be a mild success, leaving room for improvement in sequels.

I haven't seen DP, so that's probably why I didn't think to use it. Is it a good movie? If so I probably would've changed that to my point of reference. Though I still think CV is a decent choice, as aside from being animated, the acting and story is fucking phenomenal, video game adaptation or no.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen DP, so that's probably why I didn't think to use it. Is it a good movie? If so I probably would've changed that to my point of reference. Though I still think CV is a decent choice, as aside from being animated, the acting and story is fucking phenomenal, video game adaptation or no.

Not particularly. It has a cool idea but it throws the really fun noir feel away like 45 minutes in and then just becomes a dumb CGI action movie for the second half.

It's not terrible, but it's not good.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Castlevania is a high bar. It's one of the best video game adaptations ever because it pays a lot of respect to the source material. As a cartoon only, it also has an easier time hitting its goals.

Detective Pikachu was a good movie but there's a lot of room for snappier, funnier writing in there. I think it set up its universe exactly as needed. The look the world is right. The look of the Pokemon is right. Therefore, I can imagine all sorts of sequels or one-offs using the same approach with the Pokemon models, the look of the world, the logic of Pokemon living as part of functioning society, etc.

If the Sonic movie makes Sonic a believable character on Earth, it'll be a success. People want to believe he's there in the flesh. What I'm wondering is if they'll set it up for more "Sonic on Earth" movies or if they'll let him go back to his home planet (or even other planets) and play out scenarios that are more like the games. Robotnick plays an important part of that, too.

Really interested to see if Sonic sticks the landing, here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Do the MCU films even criticize the military industrial complex? They seem really fucking gung ho about the whole thing lol
I'd say there's a bit of that in the Captain America movies. It's not the focus by any means, and it kinda gets discarded when it's too inconvenient. Way back in The Incredible Hulk there's a bit of that too. Justin Hammer could be seen as a criticism of military contractors, too.

Edit: yeah Iron Man, too.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm sure Gene Park is a cool person, but it's a little bit weird the Washington Post sent out their video game reporter and not a film critic to see the movie.
They probably figured "Eh, send the video game guy to review the video game movie." I'm not sure if he is being serious about his love for the movie or just doing an extended bit.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
These social media reviews almost always praise the movie
Has their ever been a bad social media impression?

Can we just have a pinned post to every thread about social media impressions explaining that social media impression have in fact been bad sometimes, and that impressions from critics carry more weight than from other folks, and whether or not the social media impressions in the OP are from film critics or not?

Because I swear 30-50% of the posts in every thread like this are rehashing the same ground.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The Sonic News Network site has over 10,000 articles. It's absolute madness, and evidence of a godless universe, but let's not pretend that there isn't lore.
That's what happens when you make new shit up every game and also let licensed adaptations make up whatever they want to for decades. They clearly like just making up lore for every new thing they do, so you have a basic concept like "a game where Sonic and company race on hoverboards with some new characters to act as a rival team" and they just start going off on who are these xtreme cartoon birds? what's their history? who are they descended from? what are their goals? and you end up with https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Babylon_Rogues It's ludicrous, but also charming in a weird way because of how ludicrous it is.
Do the MCU films even criticize the military industrial complex? They seem really fucking gung ho about the whole thing lol
A fair amount of the MCU films had Department of Defense subsidies, including the first two Iron Mans, Winter Soldier and Captain Marvel. On the surface they seem like they're critical of the military industrial complex, but they have an unsettling tendency to attribute issues to bad actors in an otherwise good system rather than systemic problems. Captain Marvel is one of the most egregious, being an anti-war story that really wants you to know how cool the Air Force is.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
This movie is going to be on repeat on USA and Nickelodeon by Thanksgiving. I hope it does well for Sonic fans.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Until the real reviews, I don't buy this, especially after Paramount fucked up everything from the jump with the ugly ass design.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Standard operating procedure with Sonic talk on non-Sonic message boards.

Reminds me a lot of the discussions leading up to Mania. Anyone who was a big enough fan of the series to recognize Taxman knew the game was legit, but you still saw plenty of "HAHAHAHA SONIC CYCLE, HAHAHAHA DEVIANTART" until the reviews dropped and turned into more of a "wait wut"

This is something you literally made up.

This was absolutely not the case with Mania. Hype was through the roof the moment it was revealed.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eeeh a lot of Sonic fans want this film to be good. There are also people who think Sonic Forces is an acceptable game.
I'll wait and see for myself on this one.
Standard operating procedure with Sonic talk on non-Sonic message boards.

Reminds me a lot of the discussions leading up to Mania. Anyone who was a big enough fan of the series to recognize Taxman knew the game was legit, but you still saw plenty of "HAHAHAHA SONIC CYCLE, HAHAHAHA DEVIANTART" until the reviews dropped and turned into more of a "wait wut"
Nobody said deviant art to Mania. Stop making stuff up lol.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Sonic movie having anti-MIC subtext wouldn't be that surprising when the entire original Genesis trilogy was basically pro-environment/anti-industrialization, whereas Sonic Adventure 1 even has shades of anti-colonialism.

Sonic Adventure 2 was anti-MIC as fuck. The entire story is instigated because of a PMC trying to cover up dirty laundry and killing innocents in the process.