• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can you run with your Great Sword unsheathed in Monster Hunter: World?

• Yes you can

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • No you can't

Votes: 95 60.9%
  • I didn't play World, I need video evidence

Votes: 48 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I don't like how the article is written but I greatly prefer MHGU over World for a few simple reasons:

- Amount of content
- Variety of monsters
- Less downtime in MHGU (MHW open level design leads to way too much running and it feels like a time waster)
- Portability

I like MHW but I feel like they added a lot of AAA bloat into the franchise that simply wasn't needed. MHGU gives me the immediate satisfaction I need when playing a MonHun game.
What kind of bloat did they add? MHW was my first entry so I have nothing to call back on.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Conspiracy theory? I'm not actually accusing him of anything, I'm saying that if he did play the game and still came away with these impressions they're pretty ludicrous impressions to have which the bolded was meant to emphasize. There's plenty of reasons to criticize MHW, but most of his talking points are complete falsehoods. I'm not making any actual assumptions- he could just be completely terrible at retaining basic information about games he plays.

Can you actually account for those falsehoods or are you just going to shake your head at people in this thread who find them so strange?

There are errors in the article- not going to deny that, but I am extremely uncomfortable with the way the thread has progressed which I was initially uncomfortable with based off of the OP and the opening 2 comments I saw before I posted my first comment.

I agree with Charamiwa above basically- I'd like to understand the point of the thread at this juncture.

Edit: maybe not above anymore lol.

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Apparently in the comments it has been clarified that the author both played and reviewed MHW for NL's partner site PushSquare- and gave it an 8/10 FWIW.

What a twist.

Your move OP. Still a liar..?
Yes, as I said, still a liar:
He's either lying about having played MHW, or even worse, did play MHW and is making up lies about MHW to make it look worse.
You're gonna have to show me a video of a player running with GS unsheathed in MHW to prove he isn't a liar... Your move.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are errors in the article- not going to deny that, but I am extremely uncomfortable with the way the thread has progressed which I was initially uncomfortable with based off of the OP and the opening 2 comments I saw before I posted my first comment.

I agree with Charamiwa above basically- I'd like to understand the point of the thread at this juncture.
What's wrong with calling out bullshit for being bullshit? Why should that make you uncomfortable?

Deleted member 32359

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So the thread's purpose is to make fun of a dumb "reader" article posted in Nintendolife.
Ok. "Ah ah".

Did my part. Bye.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What kind of bloat did they add? MHW was my first entry so I have nothing to call back on.
The constant dialogue. Mandatory story progression to do online hunts (past MonHun games has online completely separate from single player story mode). Making the levels have a more open design lead to a lot of exploration padding which just extends how long it takes to do the same thing compared to MHGU. The size of the hub town (though nice and detailed) at first made it a pain for back to back hunts with everything being spread out, though I think they fixed that with an update.

MHW just seemed like a bigger time investment because everything had to be bigger and more in line with AAA games. I know it had to be done as the natural evolution of the series, but it made the game less snappy and less bite sized.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So the thread's purpose is to make fun of a dumb "reader" article posted in Nintendolife.
Ok. "Ah ah".

Did my part. Bye.

It's not a reader article though...

Soapbox features enable our individual writers to voice their own opinions on hot topics, opinions that may not necessarily be the voice of the site. In this piece, guides editor Glen outlines why he's in love with Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, despite the allure of the next-gen 'MonHun' experience on other formats...

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the only Prison Architect switch review being available on MC coming from this fansite is annoying as I can't take that serious.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's basically a somewhat prominent fansite providing a platform for blatant misinformation about a game. It's not like it's super important or anything, or like tearing down a game is a crime, but it seems like a decent enough conversation piece to me.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Ok. "Ah ah".

Did my part. Bye.
The article is published by a credible name that has some sort of pull in the gaming industry. It has loads of false information. There is no problem calling it out.
The constant dialogue. Mandatory story progression to do online hunts (past MonHun games has online completely separate from single player story mode). Making it open world lead to a lot of exploration padding which just extends how long it takes to do the same thing compared to MHGU. The size of the hub town (though nice and detailed) at first made it a pain for back to back hunts with everything being spread out, though I think they fixed that with an update.

MHW just seemed like a bigger time investment because everything had to be bigger and more in line with AAA games. I know it had to be done as the natural evolution of the series, but it made the game less snappy and less bite sized.
Its not open world at all though. Even the zones within the world are extremely guided even if you compare them to an open world game from the 360 era. And it's not like the dialogue is that invasive. I found it quite fun and never felt that it stopped me. It gave the game personality. And those moments are sparse compared to the breadth of gamey content you get.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The article is published by a credible name that has some sort of pull in the gaming industry. It has loads of false information. There is no problem calling it out.

Its not open world at all though. Even the zones within the world are extremely guided even if you compare them to an open world game from the 360 era. And it's not like the dialogue is that invasive. I found it quite fun and never felt that it stopped me. It gave the game personality. And those moments are sparse compared to the breadth of gamey content you get.
Open world was be bad term to use, more open compared to the separate loading zones. I just still prefer the separate zones because it cuts down on travel and makes things quicker. I don't "hate" the new way, but every time I play a new game in the series I'm going to wish all this running around could've been prevented and they stuck with separate zones.

Deleted member 32359

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

What?!?
I may have missed something but he's posting news so it's not like he's the one making reviews and else.

Sorry don't know Nintendolife but I've read the article, then the comments here... some said he's a contributor and I may have jumped to conclusions too soon. Maybe it's more on Nintendolife then. Still I don't think that pointing out others is something fun and sane to do. There's no debate here... article is baseless. You have plenty reasons to prefer one version vs. the other but arguments used here are just crazy (and false).

Ok then. Sorry. I'm going to look at the reviews and other articles he's made because I want to see this list.

btw out of 149 articles, the guy made 2 reviews, 2 "soapbox", 1 feature and 144 guides.

Last edited:

D65

Oct 26, 2017
tl;dr world is the worst Monster Hunter game since Tri

It's really shit in comparison to the PSP titles I used to play.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
The QoL additions and overall gameplay evolution in MHW compared to the older style games is much to good to ever want to go back to the old style. Sorry, but I'm done with those archaic MonHun's and hope the next mainline one follows in World's footsteps.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Open world was be bad term to use, more open compared to the separate loading zones. I just still prefer the separate zones because it cuts down on travel and makes things quicker. I don't "hate" the new way, but every time I play a new game in the series I'm going to wish all this running around could've been prevented and they stuck with separate zones.
Hmm, I guess I just don't understand because I have no history with the series. Every time I see someone mention "separate zones" that's exactly what I feel like MHW has. Even the zones are broken up into zones, they just don't have loading screens.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They don't and it's a reader article, no need to assume stuff.
It's not a reader article.
That's not how accusations work... You're a thief! You have to provide a video of you not stealing.
The dude was either unaware of how a basic mechanic worked in a game he supposedly played (and reviewed, apparently) or he was intentionally lying about it. We have reason to believe he's either incompetent or disingenuous. It's not the same thing as proving a negative.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I guess I just don't understand because I have no history with the series. Every time I see someone mention "separate zones" that's exactly what I feel like MHW has. Even the zones are broken up into zones, they just don't have loading screens.
Which is part of the problem. They replaced fast load screens that took you straight to the next fight arena and you're right back in the action with long linear hallways and a wild goose chase which gives too much downtime in the fight. The ratio between running and fighting is off in MHW compared to past games. It's my least favorite thing about MHW.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It's not a reader article.

Soapbox features enable our individual writers to voice their own opinions on hot topics, opinions that may not necessarily be the voice of the site. In this piece, guides editor Glen outlines why he's in love with Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, despite the allure of the next-gen 'MonHun' experience on other formats...
Correct, still it doesn't represent NintendoLife and my point wasn't that they aren't that biased....

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Personally, the zones have only really been a problem in Ancient Forest and certain parts of Coral Highlands. Even then, it's more an issue of layering as the map can get really difficult to read. I can't say I have a strong opinion either way. In the old style it was annoying as heck when you get bumped out of a zone or leave and can't tell if the monster will follow you (unless you tagged them of course). In the new one, it can be a pain to follow monsters into new areas -- especially when they pull an Odogaron in Rotten Vale and warp halfway across the map.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Monsters transitions to other areas, are slower because they have to navigate through the "tunnels" connecting each area. Unlike you "teletransporting" to the separate zone in older MH.

Other than that, almost anything else World takes much less time, with a whole parade of QoL improvements.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Which is part of the problem. They replaced fast load screens that took you straight to the next fight arena and you're right back in the action with long linear hallways and a wild goose chase which gives too much downtime in the fight. The ratio between running and fighting is off in MHW compared to past games. It's my least favorite thing about MHW.
So interesting to see the different perspectives. I loved that wild goose chase in World lol. It sounds lame but it did give me a lot of "emergent" moments during the hunts. The game just felt so alive to me.
Monsters transitions to other areas, are slower because they have to navigate through the "tunnels" connecting each area. Unlike you "teletransporting" to the separate zone in older MH.

Other than that, almost anything else World takes much less time, with a whole parade of QoL improvements.
Okay so it took less time. I see that long transition as part of the fun though, personally. Especially because there's lots of ways to mitigate it.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't like how the article is written but I greatly prefer MHGU over World for a few simple reasons:

- Amount of content
- Variety of monsters
- Less downtime in MHGU (MHW open level design leads to way too much running and it feels like a time waster)
- Portability

I like MHW but I feel like they added a lot of AAA bloat into the franchise that simply wasn't needed. MHGU gives me the immediate satisfaction I need when playing a MonHun game.

I get the content argument but compared to world GU is the definition of downtime. I dunno how world having no loading zones makes it a time waster compared to GU which literally sets you out on forced missions where you do nothing but run around and harvest random shit.
AAA bloat? the heck?

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
They both have pros and cons, but an article from a Nintendo-dedicated site would definitely have its biases called into question on this judgment...

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
They both have pros and cons, but an article from a Nintendo-dedicated site would definitely have its biases called into question on this judgment...

Bias is expected and even fine to be honest, and anyone who prefers MHGU or MHW doesn't really need to justify it. The silly issue here is that the author is straight up bullshitting on a number of points. I mean, you'd expect some due diligence. The fact that he has played MHW makes it even weirder.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
he's saying this about gen, the game that introduced styles and hunter arts?
Seriously, lol. I love the hunter arts, but ain't nothing risk-reward about passively filling up a bar and then popping a flashy super move.

On top of that, a bunch of the MHW "combo attacks", like the Spirit Helmbreaker jump for LS or the red-color mid-air spinning attack from the Insect Glaive, are clearly based off what they did with the aerial-style in MHGen.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MHGU might have far more content, but I don't think I can go back after all the QoL changes from World.

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
That's not how accusations work... You're a thief! You have to provide a video of you not stealing.
The joke is that he can't provide such video because you can't do that in MHW. The writer of article was lying about being able to do that.

You guys really need to at least read the OP if you're participating with a "gotcha" comment!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
What even is that article???

Honestly my biggest beefs are that World has less visual variety in armor and weapons, that the hub is far too big, the gathering hub isn't forced when setting up multiplayer quests, and the lack of monsters and variety of them. All that stuff Gen does better, as well as 4. Other than that World is what MH needs to be. All those QoL changes were a good choice. And they pretty much cut most gathering quests that you would expect to have in older titles. Gathering is fantastic in World. Can't wait for G rank and will play GU in the meantime.

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT
No it's not but the guy is totally new and out of 149 articles, the guy made 2 reviews, 2 "soapbox", 1 feature and 144 guides.
Why do you keep posting this? It looks like damage control.

It's not his opinion that's the problem. It's the bad information he uses to inform it. It calls his credibility into question when he gets mechanics wrong, either willfully or through ignorance, seeing as he's the guides editor. This is my first exposure to his work and it's peppered with falsehoods. If I see his name attached to another piece I now have to double check to make sure what I'm reading is accurate. Or just completely skip it and go elsewhere.

They can claim that the article doesn't reflect the opinions of NintendoLife but it does rlshine a light on the people that write for them. So, in a way, a misinformed opinion does reflect poorly on the publication.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing i really miss in MHGU is the SOS system.
Waiting in a lobby blows hard

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Lmao, the first comment in the comments section makes a more solid case for GU than the whole article:
My first Monster Hunter was Tri. Now, between World and GenUlt, I prefer GenUlt because I have something that can ACTUALLY RUN IT! ^^;

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The joke is that he can't provide such video because you can't do that in MHW. The writer of article was lying about being able to do that.

You guys really need to at least read the OP if you're participating with a "gotcha" comment!
Well I don't own MHW and only played it at a friend's house (and not with a GS). So I actually do not know if GS moves faster in World or not >_>;

To actually prove that he's a liar, I need a video of a side to side comparison of GS walking slow in both games >_>;

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Two things the older titles has that World doesn't is the ability to have the option to play online and pausing while playing offline

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I just couldn't disagree with the article even more. MHGU is full of bells and whistles with all the extra experimental fluff they added. World condensed a lot of said content into something more cohesive and refined.

Scoutflies are just a straight upgrade from the old system. There's nothing enjoyable about spending 10 minutes blindly looking for a monster who somehow leaves the area before you enter it. There's nothing smart about the old system, because there aren't even any tracks to follow. It all boils down to which 3-4 zones a monster normally goes in, or plain luck on your first time. Paintball system is nothing more than the game checking if you can count 5-6 minutes.

"Oh, but Acquila, you can wave at balloons / use Psychoserum". Sure, but you've just invalidated the "fun" to be had searching for monsters. It's the same thing as not bringing hot/cool drinks, and not bringing enough whetstones. They serve no purpose but to catch players offguard and force them to restart a quest which becomes unbeatable. It's not skill; it's just a gotcha from failing to follow a checklist this one time.

People also kept comparing World to other popular Western releases. Problem is that MHF1, MHFU, MH3U, MH4U are either G Rank editions, or enhanced ports. MHG is best described as a "Greatest Hits" edition of the entire series. It's odd that no one really compares the amount of content of World to Tri. Once World's own G Rank expansion rolls around, this will likely become a moot point.