• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your expected use case of the PS5 disc drive

• High = Disc drive will be in full use

Votes: 1,233 40.9%
  • Medium = Disc drive will be in good use

Votes: 823 27.3%
  • Low = Disc drive will be in seldom use

Votes: 433 14.3%
  • Super low = I am not sure I even need the disc version of the PS5

Votes: 529 17.5%

• Total voters

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the price difference is super ridiculous, I'm getting the Disc version to have a 4K BR player... Not planning on buying any retail games if I can avoid it (just like I've been doing since 2013 on the current gen).

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I went back and forth this gen. I went digital only till i got GCU then went physical unless i found digital cheaper and then my GCU ended and now it's i buy digital unless i find physical cheaper.

Same will apply next-gen. I would rather go digital since i find it pointless to have all the plastic shit taking up space i never cared about collecting i care about best possible price and since i don't pay digital tax and our physical tax is outrageous i buy all games new digital. As the generation ends my PS4 is about 50/50 dig/physical, xbox is about 80/20 digital/physical and switch about 50/50.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I still buy most games physical, so I will be using the disc drive but only for games. I already have a Panasonic UB-820 4k player so won't use it for 4k UHD movies but PS5 will do as a backup 4k player.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
LOOOL Grüß Gottder Herr. Long time no see :D
G-Virus hat auch schon angeklopft aber ich bin zu faul für zwei Foren LOL
Grüße zurück! Jep, ist schon ein Zeiterl her...zum Glück hast noch den selben Nick + Ava. :D
Hehe...ja, hat er schon gesagt, dass es dich nicht wirklich zaht. (auch verständlich, wenn man im qualitativ weitaus hochwertigerem era unterwegs ist)

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
-Physical games allow me to collect, sell & lend them.
-They usually get cheaper faster than the digital version.
-I really only buy digital games if there's no disc version.
-PSN download speeds are horrible for me.
-When buying games as a gift, a physical copy feels better especially since you cannot buy the codes for PSN games directly.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I prefer digital distribution and will continue to, but I got things like Days Gone for £15 on a sale on Amazon. If I didn't have a disc drive I wouldn't have been able to get it for such a cheap price because I'd have no way to play it. And after I finished it I lent it to a friend, who lent me Death Stranding.

So my PS5 disc drive will be used whenever there's a good deal on a physical game, and when I lend games from friends and stuff. So medium use, I'd say.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
High use for me, as most of my games are still purchased physically (either brand new or used). I have a sizable collection of ps4 games.

Will go digital for ps plus games and games on sale. But majority of my games are physical.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Need that 4K uhd player. So even if I take a long hiatus on games, I can justify it.

Stider

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the disc version as there are large price differences between getting the more high profile games physical vs digital at launch here in Australia. Next game I'm getting for PS4 is Fairy Tail, which is $99.95 on PSN while at JB Hifi it is launching at $79. For the larger releases(GoT and TLOU2 recently), they generally go at $69 on launch day. I will use it for games I want at release but are not games I'm willing to shell out extra for to have the convenience of digital(D2, BL3 and P5R) recently.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Mixed libraries are a pain. Last time I had a mixed library was during the PS3 era. Switching from one game to another just to realize it wasn't digital and I had to get up...
look for the disc...
someone put the wrong disc in the case....
I keep looking for the disc....
can't find the disc in the other cases....
starting to sort completely unrelated discs into their correct cases....
fuck it I'll play something else that doesn't require a disc!

My PC has been all digital for more than 15 years. My PS4 was all digital except for KZ:SF that came with it. I will never go back to physical - but to have the OPTION sure is nice.

Nov 4, 2017
As I said in that other thread, digital games are 43% more expensive than physical on launch day here. Why would I pay so much more for a vastly inferior version of the game. Can't lend a digital copy to a friend, trade it in, or pop it into a PC in 20 years and emulate it.

I'm mostly physical (but will buy games digital on a steep enough discount), and have a hefty physical PS4 library with games I haven't played, finished or experienced with Pro enhancements.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Most of my PS4 games are digital. I only purchase physical if I find a very good deal. I'm used to PC gaming and discs are very annoying.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I buy almost all major AAA releases physical, unless I can wait until they drop significantly in price, because buying physical is ALWAYS cheaper than digital at launch (here in Japan at least).

And I need a disc drive to play my Blu-Ray movies.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Medium to High.
Why would I buy my games digitally if the store next door sells it 20 bucks less.

I only buy digital versions if they are convenient (it was nice during lockdown) or during sales.

May 17, 2018
Digital prices are still a joke in the U.K. imo. Not competitive when you consider you can resell the physical version and make some money back to fund the next game. I only buy digital in a sale

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Every launch game will be on disc, then from there on out it'll be my usual 80/20 digital to disc split. It's not about how much I'll use it though, it just makes almost zero sense to give up the option for $50 which is what the price difference will be.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Given it's currently the only way to play my PS4 titles I imagine that pretty much all my day one purchases will be disc-based. Everything else will probably be picked up in a PSN sale so I'm going to plump for 'medium'.

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
For games I'll probably use it very little.
But I don't want to keep my xbox one s around for much longer so I will definitely use it fairly frequently for UHD blu-rays.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
High. PS4 games plus its cheaper in alot of cases cause I might get a physical game months after release. Plus my library let's you borrow games so that's an added perk

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Physical all the way.

Will get digital games of things that have been heavily discounted but even then, the disk versions are virtually the same.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Normal game price for my country is 60€. PSN has always been 70€ because that makes a lot of sense. Therefore, i always buy disc even tho i would like to go digital.
And there are a lot of other people in the same situation. But clearly, the guy in charge of math at my country's PSN is probably some cousin or nephew of someone.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I still buy PlayStation games on disc whenever possible and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So like the majority here (based on an earlier poll in a different thread), I am planning to get the disc version of the PS5. My main reason is that I want to be able to play some older PS4 titles that I have on disk + do not want to miss out on buying a cheap retail copy of a PS5 game down the line + there is the idea of occasionally trying out a UHD movie.

But I thought about this more during the last days and I think it is quiet realistic that the following happens for me given that I have been 95% digital on PS4 during the last years:
  • I will never play my old PS4 disc games again
  • I will watch movies only through streaming
  • I will buy 99% of PS5 games digitally
And after all this, just to keep my options open, I am still thinking of getting the disc version...

Those that are planning to buy the disc version as well, how do you see yourself realistically using the disc drive?
I'm in the exact same boat as you are.
I'm expecting to use the disc drive 1-3 times max during the entire generation. The most likely scenario would be a really nice Final Fantasy collectors edition but otherwise I'm not sure what could get me to buy a physical version.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Disc version, I still prefer to get games on disc but it will be 50/50 when it comes to buying games digitally or physical like I did with PS4.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I'll use it for every AAA release I buy anywhere near launch, and a decent portion of those I buy later on. Those tend to take up a LOT of my gaming time, so I voted for high in the poll.

Honestly I wish we could do away with discs (it take SO MUCH space in the console), but it's unlikely that I'll ever want to not have a physical collection of games and I'm definitely never giving up the ability to sell my games if I can avoid it. If Sony sold games on physical license keys that you plug in the console I'd take the digital edition in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Like you said OP, "just to keep my options open". Every time I consider realistically what I want and need out of this console, a disc drive isn't really on the list. But the moment I imagine NOT having one, I start to get anxious. Hahahaha

Like, "What if I want to watch (the ONE ultra HD blu-ray I own) Blade Runner 2049?
What if I want to play, um, Farpoint (the ONE physical VR game I own but never touch), the only reason I own this stupid PS Aim gun?? What if I want to......... reactivate my GameFly subscription??? And physically rent a game I'm not particularly psyched for and probably won't have the time to play??? WHAT IF????"
Yeah same here. Let's go sit together in the "what am I doing" corner LOL

Grüße zurück! Jep, ist schon ein Zeiterl her...zum Glück hast noch den selben Nick + Ava. :D
Hehe...ja, hat er schon gesagt, dass es dich nicht wirklich zaht. (auch verständlich, wenn man im qualitativ weitaus hochwertigerem era unterwegs ist)

Yeap. Ich brauche Aktivität in meinem Forum :) alles ok bei dir?

That is a very very good point. I forgot about the kids dvds

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I will get alot of use since my movie collection is all physical.

Will never be used for games though. Digital all the way there.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
High - My PS5 will basically never be turned on without a disc inside i.e. I buy all the discs and very rarely make digital purchases on PSN, unless it was for PS1 classics, a few indies and surprisingly, PSP games over the years.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Vast majority of my games are on disc. I really only buy digital if I have to. And with BC then I have to have that drive, or I'd feel like I'm ripping myself off lol.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'll use it a little bit. It'll be nice to have a UHD player, I will probably pick up some movies to watch. I want to have BC with the handful of physical PS4 games I have.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I have to get the disc one but primarily as a UHD Blu-ray player. I might get the occasional used game or cheap launch game when I'm unsure about it, but I intend to buy most games digitally (games I know I'll like at launch and everything else when there's a good sale on).

Deleted member 54170

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I don't have an xbox and with a ps5 I could watch 4k blu rays (which my ps4 PRO!!!!! can't do, thank you cheap ass sony)

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I have a lot of games I still haven't played played on PS4, and I'll continue to buy most games physically. I buy a lot of games and the bigger ones are already over 100gb, so being able to install from a disc is much more convenient than downloading.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
It will always be in use. I'm a cinema fan and collector, so I'll use it as my disc player. I also only buy physical, so unless I'm playing some digital only indie, the disc drive will be on all the time

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I'm probably at about 40% physical these days for PlayStation, and it's mainly games I get near release, meaning games I'm more excited for, and therefore also would like a physical copy for my collection. Digital RRP is a freaking ripoff and I'll never buy something day one until they do something about those prices. It's like 20% more at this point.

Otherwise, probably. 90% of my buying is in digital sales because games tend to get far cheaper far faster than they otherwise would (eg Control has already had 60% discounts a few times now despite physical only getting about 20% here).

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Not getting a PS5 but an XSX. The drive will never have a game disc put in it. I haven't bought a physical game disc since 2014. If I ever use the drive then it'll be for playing Blu Ray movies. If there is an all digital XSX then I will go with that because I still have a dedicated Blu Ray player and I might just stop buying Blu Rays or only buy 1080p discs and not bother with 4K Blu Ray.

If I get a PS5 then I'll go with the all digital model.