• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it that bad?

• Yes

Votes: 178 27.4%
  • No

Votes: 244 37.5%
  • Thor 2 The Dark World

Votes: 228 35.1%

• Total voters

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'd watch it over many other comic films out there, but then, I'd also watch Battlefield Earth over many other comic films out there, ya know?

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I didn't think it was that bad at all. I found it to be aight, and perfectly enjoyable. I honestly have no idea why it became a meme.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
yeah, it kind of is. It's also boring as hell. Nicest thing I can say is that it's at least better than Iron man 2.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Came here to post this exact thing. It has a couple good things about it, it's just nothing special, and the quality of other MCU films (especially those that came after) really make it look even worse. I don't think I'll ever watch it a 3rd time, but there are much worse Superhero flicks out there.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Agreed on the boring comments... it just does nothing noteworthy to make me care.

I think the only MCU film I dislike more is Iron Man 2.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing Thor 2 does exceptionally well is the relationship between Thor and Loki. So much of their relationship in Ragnarok is first really built to in Dark World and serves as a really good springboard into Ragnarok.

Other than that and Zachary Levi enjoying his time as Fandrall there's nothing else really of note and it's easily the weakest of the MCU films. Not to say any of it is truly awful, it's just boring and bland in the same way that Incredible Hulk and good chunks of Iron Man 2 are.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a rather boring entry (like Iron Man 2) that shies away from the cosmic elements it involves and presents them in a way that doesn't match up well to the surrounding material(Ether is the Reality Stone and Odin's demeanor). Both it and the first Thor are among the weaker entries in the MCU. There's certainly good moments around Frigga, Loki, the Dark Elves being shown a threat, and Darcy being good in Kat Denning's delivery and a better comedic outlet than Eric Selvig, but all of it is interlaced in disappointing and dull material. It also features a rather unremarkable villain, which severely undercuts the film. It's also the film that killed Natalie Portman's involvement with the MCU until recently.

Even from the outside, it's difficult to doubt the reactions to this film when its follow-up can unceremoniously off several notable supporting and potential-held characters (and not acknowledge the existence of another) and still be seen as one of the best the entire franchise offers.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it when I first watched it but when Winter Solder came out and blew all the movies before it away.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Well, at least its not as bad as The Incredible Hulk. That's so bad that most people forget about it and think Dark World is the worst MCU movie.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that it's bad. It's that it's one of the most mediocre and forgettable movie ever made. It's the definition of a 5/10.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
better than Age of Ultron. that one is the worst IMO.

i dont know, i enjoyed it when i saw it in theaters. it was certainly better than the first Thor, which is also bottom tier

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Definitely in the bottom tier but not the worst. During my rewatch of the entire MCU last November, I ranked it above Hulk, Thor 1, Iron Man 2 & 3, and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
It's better than Iron Man 3.

tenor.png

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda mid. Introduces a bunch of common problems in other movies like super boring villains and overly huge drawn out setpieces. Not unwatchable but not particularly good.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Thor 2 did have some funny moments and there were some important moments, otherwise it's the kind of movie that isn't interesting enough to really detail what makes it bad or good. It mostly serves as a very vague qualifier which to compare other movies to as a way to say those movies are bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Rereading Jason Aaron's Thor just makes me sad about what they did to Malekith. He could have been so fun and interesting and instead he's just a guy with facial prosthetics.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since I've seen it and I remember enjoying it but I dont believe its even the worst MCU movie.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
It's boring and really drab-looking (especially in comparison to the colorful Ragnarok). I have always just been kind of "meh" about it; it isn't good but it isn't the worst MCU film out there.
I didn't know anything about Malekith before that though. I just started reading Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder run recently and the Malekith story after the Godbomb arc where he breaks out of his prison and Thor is the head of a group of allied races that tries to put a stop to him was so good that it has made me dislike The Dark World a bit more now.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Half the appeal and fun for it when it came out was to see what happened to Loki after Avengers. Other than that, it's nothing special but Loki is fun to watch in it.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Dark World was just dull, not bad, which makes it better than the last two MCU movies. It's total garbo compared to Ragnarok, though.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It's boring and really drab-looking (especially in comparison to the colorful Ragnarok). I have always just been kind of "meh" about it; it isn't good but it isn't the worst MCU film out there.
I didn't know anything about Malekith before that though. I just started reading Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder run recently and the Malekith story after the Godbomb arc where he breaks out of his prison and Thor is the head of a group of allied races that tries to put a stop to him was so good that it has made me dislike The Dark World a bit more now.
I don't understand the change to Malekitih like to that at all honestly, just completely drain anything interesting or fun about him to a super generic villain

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
It's as dull as a blockbuster can be. It's not really bad, it's just there.

It does seem to contain a magical power where the viewer immediately forgets what they've seen when the credits start rolling.

An example)

As two people are exiting the theater after a viewing of Thor 2.

"So what did you think about that?"

"Think about what?"

Edit: oh yes, I see the "Iron Man 3 is a bad movie" takes are still going. IM3 was the proto TLJ when it came to any online discourse about it. So many claiming it's bad, but when most of them tell you why it comes down to comic book bullshit instead of why IM3 supposedly failed as a movie.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's as dull as a blockbuster can be. It's not really bad, it's just there.

It does seem to contain a magical power where the viewer immediately forgets what they've seen when the credits start rolling.

An example)

As two people are exiting the theater after a viewing of Thor 2.

"So what did you think about that?"

"Think about what?"

Edit: oh yes, I see the "Iron Man 3 is a bad movie" takes are still going. IM3 was the proto TLJ when it came to any online discourse about it. So many claiming it's bad, but when most of them tell you why it comes down to comic book bullshit instead of why IM3 supposedly failed as a movie.

Yup. I can't take the people who complained about the Mandarin seriously anymore, if I ever did.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think Thor is my favorite Avenger but he was really done dirty after Ragnarok by Infinity War and Endgame. Yeah the Wakanda scene is awesome but he spent half the movie forging a weapon he spent all of last movie learning he didn't need then in Endgame he also gets the hammer back. Talk about sacrificing meaningful development for fan service. i just rewatched Ragnarok so it's on my mind.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a huge nothingburger. It's not like IM2 where the film is suddenly derailed to be setup for a future arc, the whole thing is filler to introduce one of the infinity stones. It's not the worst (Iron Man 2 or Hulk is), but it's utterly forgettable.

Oooh, that's actually a decent comparison. I honestly don't think I have often seen people who claim IM3 is bad have arguments beyond disliking interpretation of characters. It's a pretty good film, really, one of the better ones from before phase 3. It's either this or Winter Soldier for the best one.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Truly bad films are rarely made by media juggernauts anymore. It is aggressively average at best, mediocre at worst. I appreciate the high fantasy in space vibe, and the climactic London battle is better than Thor 1's, but it is oddly humourless next to the other MCU films. It's the second worst film in the series, after The Incredible Hulk.