entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Like what's the hook here? Herd immunity means return to normalcy quicker and better economy. Doesn't the GOP mostly care about that?

I really don't get it at all.

My big issue is that this goober has the highest rated political opinion show. It's not about signal boosting idiocy. He already has a massive platform and continue to use it irresponsibly.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
it plays to his audience which gets them to tune in.
advertisers pay tucker money to show their ads to his audience.
tucker laughs his way all the way down to his doomsday bunker, where he waits patiently for the end of all life, jaw agape

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Because he's smarter than everyone else. Or he's a piece of shit. You decide.

it's the second one, btw.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because these dipshits went all in on downplaying it form the jump for the sake of the economy. And their base ate it up too much to walk back now that vaccines are here. Gotta keep playing to the crowd or they'll turn in an instant.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Sometimes Tucker Carlson feeds the madness, and sometimes the madness feeds Tucker Carlson. I can't remember where the chicken/egg falls on this particular issue, but I'm also not sure it really matters.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't believe how Fox even allows this. And it's not like he quotes actual evidence to support his claims.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
While Tucker is 100% full on seig heil nazi, I do feel that some of his moves post election have been Foxnews execs whispering in his ear to go harder with the 'base' with them bleeding views to other more right wing channels. His white supremacy is pretty unchanged, but he's been on a particularly weird tier in 2021, and I don't think its a non-studio backed accident.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Because he's a terrible person who's job is to spread hard right propaganda, racist rhetoric, and also scare people into voting conservative.

I totally agree with what others have said in that Tucker himself is probably already fully vaccinated. He's just grifting.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Republicans are a permanent opposition party now. It doesn't matter whether they hold all branches of government or none. Our institutions are in the way of them gaining and retaining power. Anything they can do to undermine the public's trust in the government helps them in the long run. It's been a long time coming, but the mask has been off for a while now. Additionally, Tucker's specific audience is full of softbrained dingleberries that are open to conspiratorial thinking. If he wants to keep them, he has to embrace them.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Hes not anything but garbage. He knows better, he just doesn't care because the guy knows his audience. He knows well enough what people's fears are and he feeds and reinforces into that to keep his audience watching. If he told the truth they'd stop tuning in because they're part of a demographic addicted to their own fears

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
because ending the covid crisis was a biden selling point.
If they can make covid stay forever, they can say biden is a failure.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because he's playing to a certain audience

People of the land

The common clay of the West.

tumblr_ocy9d6bVfn1rbvhgao5_500.gifv

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
You seriously can't believe how Fox News would allow for misinformation?
I know Fox is trash. They're getting sued by the voting machine makers.

Carlson's demographic is also among the higher risk groups. It's not young people watching his show.

Oct 27, 2017
While Tucker is 100% full on seig heil nazi, I do feel that some of his moves post election have been Foxnews execs whispering in his ear to go harder with the 'base' with them bleeding views to other more right wing channels. His white supremacy is pretty unchanged, but he's been on a particularly weird tier in 2021, and I don't think its a non-studio backed accident.
Agreed, he's towing more lines than usual, ones that I don't think he actually gives a shit about.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because a third of the country has to treat this shit like a team sport. If Dems are for X, they have to push for Y.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's pandering trash. He's probably already got a vaccine.

1,000% he has gotten his vaccine.

They told their audience to go die for the economy. Their audience bought in, now they can't go back. So they'll just silently get their vaccine (I'm sure along with having anyone who comes within 100 miles of them tested) and keep feeding their audience the bullshit they crave.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
its not that complicated, anything Biden, Harris, Obama or democrats support Tucker will always be vehemently against. He also doesn't really believe in anything, he just spouts whatever nonsense to enrage his viewers and drive viewership. It makes YOU mad, which is one of his goals, it makes his white older viewers mad (at people like you) which is another goal, and it creates constant news feedback loops about "how stupid Tucker is" (by the left) or "how Tucker is fighting the mainstream media/social media" on the right which keeps him in the news cycle always.

You gotta learn to completely ignore him and never talk about him to anyone, and just pretend he doesn't exist.

His show is the highest watched cable news TV show I believe.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Being anti-vaccine is under the umbrella of being anti-scientific consensus which is under the umbrella of anti-institutionalism.

They're essentially a privatized propaganda outlet for the GOP elites who view institutions as aspects of society that need to be done away with. They're anathema to corporate financial interests (see: climate change) and are therefore an opposing force to the types of rich, right wing corporate think tanks that fund these programs and keep mouthpieces like Carlson employed.

It's basically what Noam Chomsky predicted would happen to the national media in his book Manufactured Consent.

Sure, getting everyone vaccinated would end the pandemic quicker which would in turn restore full economic functionality quicker. But Carlson on behalf of these large donors, Super PAC's and think tanks is playing a much longer game of convincing their tribalistic viewership to distrust collectivization, scientific institutions and intellectualism in general.

Hyper partisanship means national elections will increasingly be won on slimmer and slimmer margins. Culture war "news" and the "outrage of the week" keeps their viewers placated and engaged with hatred for their way of life that they perceive* as being under threat. It keeps them actively engaged against their fellow citizens from the other side of the aisle who are in many ways being equally shit on by these rich elite interests. It keeps the working class divided and the middle class enraged.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I guess i'm very late saying this ... but because he's an idiot, right-wing populist?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
In comparison, Hannity hasn't gone this angle at all--at least from what I've seen. Feel free to correct me if so.

Yeah, Haniity is awful for many other things.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
a) Biden's signature 100 day achievement is stimulus and vaccine rollout.

b) Carlson's base largely likes their Biden Bux but is dumb and probably anti-vaxx.

c) Carlson's life as a rich, white media personality probably doesn't change much during pandemics or recessions

d) Carlson's political leanings will do better in 2022 and 2024 if there is a pandemic or recession.

So: he can't attack Biden credibly for stimulus, but his viewers are distrustful of vaccines already. He convinces some number of them not to take it, no herd immunity, maybe the economy doesn't recover fast enough because enough restrictions aren't rolled back/enough people aren't comfortable going back to normal. If there's a recession, it doesn't affect Carlson's well-being, and in fact that would give Republicans more midterm seats.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I hate these "we're just asking questions" kind of people, they're the biggest reason half the country is in the sorry state that it is.

In comparison, Hannity hasn't gone this angle at all--at least from what I've seen. Feel free to correct me if so.

Yeah, Haniity is awful for many other things.

Hannity has almost taken a back seat to Tucker at Fox it seems.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He is selling his audience what they want to buy and telling them what they want to fear.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's law, managing the crowd is a skill used for good or ill.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Cause his audience are chuds and he's opposing anything the Dems do which right now is the vaccine rollout

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because he panders to his conservative base and keeps them around by telling them what they want to hear by just asking questions and never really taking sides based on actual facts.

bluepolicebox

Oct 27, 2017
Conservatives are all about freedom of choice and allowing a person to make personal decisions where their health and body are concerned.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-sicence has become a bedrock principal of the Republican party platform.