apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Also, they released a playset called "Henrys Tunnel" so that toddlers could wall Henry in themselves. Perfect to foster that fat controller that lies dormant in all little boys and girls.
cb191e10-c3a1-4c70-a9ikv0.jpeg

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Those happy to serve as tools of oppressors should not be surprised to be discarded once their usefulness is gone

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
The Isle of Sodor is a fucked up autocracy that systematically oppresses trains and other vehicles. The UN has called them out on it many times but until the US bombs them into freedom there's nothing we can do.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Also, they released a playset called "Henrys Tunnel" so that toddlers could wall Henry in themselves. Perfect to foster that fat controller that lies dormant in all little boys and girls.
cb191e10-c3a1-4c70-a9ikv0.jpeg

Ooh! I had that one. Super fun because of the three tracks on top.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If I ever go on a rant about "the Protestant work ethic", these stories, written by an Anglican Reverend, ought to be taken in as exhibit one. The train society is a colonialist's wet dream

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
I've watched it a few times with my boys recently on Amazon Prime. This never happened.

Oh shit. Now that's dark.
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, jus thought that line was hilarious to quote.

Different dubs for Thomas the tank engine, in the same language🤷‍♂️ Who would have thunk.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Different dubs for Thomas the tank engine, in the same language🤷‍♂️ Who would have thunk.
No worries! I just was confused because I've watched that episode after seeing this "revelation" and I was like, "What was everyone on about? That wasn't so bad!" Turns out it certainly was bad!

What's worse from a technical perspective is in the first episode of the George Carlin dub, they apparently forgot to edit out one line or George didn't read it, so they just have the Ringo Starr narration pop in for one or two short lines, then bam, back to Carlin. So bizarre.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget they also had scrap yards in the series where they would take these sentient engines that had outlived their usefulness and basically chop them up, I assume screaming in horror as they're dismembered and then melted down.

And despite all that, there will always be a soft spot in my heart for Thomas and the rest of them regardless of the inherent messaging about power structures and rigid compliance within a bubbling world of existential horror.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
The Fat Controller is a warlock, who raises the souls of the damned and ensnares them to his diabolical contraptions. When they disobey his commands, they are punished. The Diesel Yard is a grim reminder of his wrath, as it is littered with the wrecked chasis' and cracked engines of those engines who outlived their usefulness. Only Hiro managed to escape, but it was only a temporary respite. He lived for decades in the Blightwood, going mad from loneliness until he was returned to bondage by the foolish actions of the warlock's favorite pet, Thomas.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

With the less brutal one being done by George Carlin... It was certainly a strange time to be alive.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Because Thomas the Tank Engine is Authoritarian Capitalist propaganda for children.

Children are taught that their self worth is only derived from how useful they are to the company.Thomas is training children to be uncompassionate worker bees who care only about productivity and think that anyone who can;t live up deserves to be sacked, shunned, buried, torn apart and their assets re-appropriated by the company, and the show tells the kids to smile as it happens.