What do you think a Resident Evil 4 remake will utilize most?

• More Action

• More Horror

• Experimental like RE 3.5

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
resident-evil-4-ultimate-hd-edition-wallpaper-1.jpg

RE4 turned 15 this year and by the end of next-gen it'll be 20 years old, which was the original time-frame RE2make was going to release. With how much of a juggernaut RE4 is between it's impact on gaming and on the RE franchise itself, I think it's safe to say that Capcom will likely eye a remake at some point. As the sales on the original version despite all of the ports do seem be slowing as there hasn't been much new added to the game since the Wii version really drive more sales with new styles of play/features.

So that brings up the topic of the thread. What exactly would a RE4 Remake look like?
After reading a lot of different ideas, it seems 3 main styles pop up
  • More Action (This would mean expanded gameplay, think the jump from RE4 to RE5 mechanics wise)
  • More Experimental (people love the unreleased RE3.5 and want to see that game manifest in any way they can get it)
  • More Horror (This would be RE4 going back on the original and instead opting for something more akin to the recent RE2make)
As Capcom would likely be in favor of not doing a 1:1 remake like say Shadow of the Colossus PS4, it definitely becomes a tricky idea on what you would do for such a classic and landmark title that can also now appeal to a new generation of players. There's definitely the potential that perhaps all 3 ideas could be worked into one product. It would be ambitious, but not impossible I feel.

One of RE4's biggest strengths in the first place was how for its time it managed to blend a lot of things really well. It's an action game through and through, but placing it inside an adventure style title with puzzles, scary atmosphere, and risk/reward gameplay really added to why so many hail it as a masterpiece. I'd imagine much like how RE2make went for "making the game how you felt the original was" a RE4make would go for the same sort of idea "This is how you felt RE4 was when you originally played it".

A lot of that feel could be achieved by expanding on what seemed to be those 3 earlier ideas. So when it came to action, the melee system would be familiar yet different. Perhaps with more risk/reward and even a dodge being added. Then with the experimental, perhaps you add areas where using a flashlight like in RE3.5 would actually be viable with the castle area with the cultists being far more creepy. Lastly with the horror as a whole, that would come from the changes to the game keeping the player on edge. So that even if its a seasoned RE4 player, the changes to atmosphere and locales keep them uneasy even when action moments happen.

TL;DR
I know a lot people say RE4 shouldn't be remade at all, but after both RE2 and RE3 i'm curious to see what people would want out of a new RE4 experience or at the very least what they would be open too.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, and RE engine facelift and being able to move while aiming would be enough. Maybe make the QTE sequences more playable or just normal cutscenes.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is it shouldn't be. RE4 is already a perfect video game and any attempt at gussying any aspect of the experience will inevitably detract from it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game is kinda gigantic to be remade I think and holds up SO WELL, really no idea how a remake should be

They've milked the original game enough. I wouldn't put it past them to release a 4K version but a remake would be interesting, a mammoth task like you said, enough time for a next gen user base to grow though.

Nobody is taking away the current version so go ahead Capcom, remake.

It's an action game at heart so I don't think you could detract too much from it even if you modernised the controls; Capcom would find a way.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
RE2 engine, make the (or most of) QTEs playable gameplay, expand on the La Plagas enemy transformations and location specific damage

But basically keep everything the same. Less of a remake, more of an expansion using modern tech to take the already great concepts beyond what could be done on PS2/Gamecube

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
RE2 engine, make the (or most of) QTEs playable gameplay, expand on the La Plagas enemy transformations and location specific damage

But basically keep everything the same. Less of a remake, more of an expansion using modern tech to take the already great concepts beyond what could be done on PS2/Gamecube
This is basically what I'd want as well.

Overhaul the visuals, update the gameplay to modern standards. Maybe cut or improve on what didn't work so well in the original, but keep it largely the same game but with awesome next-gen visuals.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No QTE's, remove the over the top melee moves and moves in general and make them regular like a frantic push and front kick, more horror, no tank controls, and over the shoulder third person perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
Game is perfect as is, just update the textures.

Definitely don't screw with the controls just because some are clamoring for an inferior experience.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just completely overhaul the graphics to modern standards and update some of the mechanics that feel a bit dated by now. Otherwise just leave the game as it is. It is still one of the best ever made. :)

Game is perfect as is, just update the textures.

Well, the models could use a few more polygons too. ;)

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just bundle it with a GameCube controller. Or a Wii Pointer. Sucks ass with DualShock and pretty brutal with a Switch controller too.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The original wacky ass controller configuration is the part of the game I like the least. Game would lose nothing by using modern TPS controller configuration as default.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

That's a good idea. More Plagas type or more unique transformations would be very interesting.
Where perhaps when the plagas pops out it's more than just coming out of their head.

No QTE's, remove the over the top melee moves and moves in general and make them regular like a frantic push and front kick, more horror, no tank controls, and over the shoulder third person perspective.

Much like how people said adding melee to RE2 would be too much. I think taking stuff out like the Suplex would take away from what RE4 is, even if they're doing something different. There's always a certain level where something needs to keep its identity, especially if it's potentially aimed as a "replacement" of sorts.

I think they would ditch or at least rework the chapter-style progression.

That's another good idea as well. I always liked how RE4 was an "adventure" and in a lot of ways you could easily take out the chapter results and have the game be just fine.

exofrenon

Mar 30, 2019
I do not see what a current gen remake would offer other than improved graphics. I think it is good as it is now, it just needs a port / remaster for every console that will come out.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Or we could always get an 4k/8k port with gyro controls on PS5/XSX/NS2 :D

Nah but seriously, a Remake it's going to make some serious BANK. I have my eyes set for 2025 (20th anniversary). Gotta give them time for Code Veronica, RE8 and Rev3.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
That looks cool but was it rebalanced at all for fixed camera?
The video description says that all that they did was hack the camera (probably only for that section of the game), so I guess not.

The game would obviously be too difficult as it is with the fixed camera angle, since enemies are more mobile and there's no auto-aim.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Much like how people said adding melee to RE2 would be too much. I think taking stuff out like the Suplex would take away from what RE4 is, even if they're doing something different.
If I want more horror, I just think the silly suplex and other over the top moves would diminish it. The original game will always be available on modern platforms.
I will fight you irl. Lets go.
I'd rather hug you and be friends and agree to disagree.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
assuming they didn't ditch the source code/original assets/ect i can't imagine they would or should change much.

aged remarkably for a 16 year old gamecube game, regardless of how you feel about it qualitatively

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Expand on the RE6 mercenary mechanics. Leon is a trained professional you can already suplex pretty much everyone to death add the counter system of RE6 to give Leon more interactions with the enemies. RE Engine will just make the game even more beautiful. Keep the movement just more options maybe expand on the areas a bit to get some more environment storytelling in there.

Optional just make that other version of RE4 that was canceled.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE4 doesn't really need to change at all.

If we really have to, double down on the dumb, over the top cheesy nonsense.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Actually, what if when you stun an enemy into a melee prompt status, you go into a Yakuza-style fight mode with a complex system of moves and combos that you upgrade?

Ashley cheers you on in the background and you have cool heat moves to finish off enemies.

I want to pre-order this remake now.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Very close to the original release with some qol improvements on the drastically superior
RE engine.

I want the world to be entirely connected, no loading/doors, enemies can follow you around. RE2 made great improvements, but zombies stop following you after being separated by two rooms. In order for this to work they'd need to increase the size of the village, and other locations. Larger areas for certain boss fights, so that they can retreat, in case you've inflicted a lot of damage. Allowing them to strategically stalk you in order to turn the tide.

If non of that is possible, then a straight up graphical overhaul with the re engine would be fine by me.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
The same goddamn near perfect game but with raytracing

Nobody in the industry is qualified to tinker with RE4. Just update the visuals and step the hell away

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'd want the game to lean more into RE7's style of camp, which is unnerving and creepy because it's so goofy amid a whole host of scary circumstances. Jack casually grabbing Lucas' arm and sawing it off with a kitchen knife while Lucas yells "Dammit old man, not again!" is as hilarious as it is unnerving.

Remember, English speakers are the ones who got the campy RE4. I'm not so sure about other regions, but the Japanese version is about as straight-faced as all get out with its dialogue. Instead of the iconic "Where's everyone going, bingo?", Japanese players got a line akin to "Where'd they all go?"

By blending the camp of the English localization at the Japanese release's more straight-faced dialogue, a hypothetical REmake 4 could blend the strengths of RE games new and old into a real knockout action-horror game. In fact, deemphasizing the action and going for more RE2-style combat could be really exciting. Put less focus on linear progression, and make the world open-linear like older RE titles, letting players backtrack to solve puzzles with items they retrieve throughout the game, and making combat more about outwitting and evading enemies rather than clearing one room, a door unlocking, and you moving on to more zombie murder.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I feel like a recurring "theme" of the RE remakes is to make the silly elements more subtle, so I assume the cheesy one-liners and stuff would be toned down.

Unlike RE1-3 though, I would say a good portion of RE4's craziness is "hardcoded" in to the cast, setting, and plot, and you can only adjust it so much, lol.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing they need to do is map aiming to the right analog stick, which has probably been fixed already.

So they need to do nothing.