• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will come out first?

• Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2

Votes: 633 69.8%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 274 30.2%

• Total voters

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think XVI is closer along than we think and Square Enix has learned its lesson not to announce such projects years in advance. Like, I could legit see a 2020 announcement and 2021 release, but I'm an optimist.

I agree.

This idea that FFXVI has to be many years away doesn't make any sense to me. Even with the crisis of having to redevelop FFXIV (while still struggling with HD development, while still developing an engine), Square Enix has never gone more than about six years between releasing new numbered Final Fantasy installments. I don't see the development of the FFVII remake by another team to be nearly as damaging as the company-wide crisis that was salvaging FFXIV.

Square Enix has to release games. They have FFVII and Avengers in their 2020-2021 fiscal year now. They have to have something planned for their 2021-2022 fiscal year. Maybe FFVII-2 will sneak in just under the wire and be a March 2022 release, but that seems risky to rely on. It doesn't seem that a Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts will be ready that soon. On the other hand, we know they've had a team working on a new FF for some time.

Also, Square Enix has a good relationship with Sony, and they like to reveal new Final Fantasy games alongside the reveal of a new PlayStation. This works for both parties: Sony gets a big reveal and Square Enix gets people to start buying the new PlayStation early, so that the install base is there when they do release their new game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a planned FFXVI reveal at the big PS5 blow-out.

Keep in mind that the original plan was for Square Enix to have no major unreleased projects by the time E3 came around in June. The Avengers delay pushes it past that, but they'll still have basically a clear slate as far as being ready to announce their new projects.

I remember people still thinking FFVII was years and years away until they announced the spring 2020 release last year, too.

Last edited:

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I think XVI is coming before VII-R Part two if it is indeed Yoshi-P's game (does anyone have any links that speculate on that?).

My guess is that the goal is to get VII-R episodes out every two to two and a half years, with other games filling in the other years. Assuming that Yoshi-P's studio has been working on XVI for a few years as some have speculated, it being released in 2021 isn't too nuts.

Between the KH3 and FFVII-R rereveals, Square Enix seems to have largely started to only ramp up marketing for games about a year before they release. It wouldn't surprise me if they take that tactic with new AAA announcements moving forward. It would be smarter than announcing a game five years out like they originally did with KH3 and VII-R.

Oct 30, 2017
FFVII-2 won't be here for at less three more years.. sometime in 2023.

FFXVI has been underdevelopment longer, it's very reasonable to think of Q4 2022.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the next installments of FF7 will take terribly long. I'm gonna guess 3 years each. The groundwork is there. It's not like most games where we expect the sequels to do new things. It can be more of the same but just finishing the story. The biggest struggle will be creating all the assets, and balancing the combat with new playable party members.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Is part 2 the last part? Why did they have to divide it in parts? Will part 2 come to current gen?

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're gonna release them alternately. Part 1 then FFXVI then part 2 then some kingdom hearts main game then part 3 and then the next FF

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Mark my words, FFXVI will come out 4-5 years after its announcement, so FFVII Remake Part 2 will definitely release first.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Is part 2 the last part? Why did they have to divide it in parts? Will part 2 come to current gen?

Definitely not, FF7 has alot of unique assets that they cant reuse. For instance, all these midgar assets will be useless for building the new towns and overworld. They built combat for 4 or 5 characters in this game and they will have to make another 4-5 combat systems for new characters in the next game, also new enemies, new materia, new summons, etc.

With the scale and production values they're going for theres just no way to do it all in one go.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
i think the structure of the story is going to be changed a lot more than we currently think
You have to rearrange the world then, like move major towns around. And considering
Aeris dies lol (unless they do a gimmick and let her live)
you would want to visit as many places earlier with her as possible in earlier parts.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Awesome info thanks.
I'm more interested in the retail side of marketing. Last time I saw this game box at GameStop it just said remake, and nowhere did it mention it was only part of a series.

example:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/final-...edition-playstation-4/6352243.p?skuId=6352243

I cannot any info on this screen showing its multi part.
Yeah. The Box only calls it "Final Fantasy VII Remake". It's been a point of contention for a while. The interviews and such have been very open about the fact that its a multi-part series, but I do think they should have added something to the title. If they didn't want to use the "Part One" subtitle for fear of people thinking it wasn't a full game, they should have gone with "Final Fantasy VII Remake: Midgar" or something.

And for no reason, my proposed titles for a theoretical trilogy:
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Midgar
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Reunion
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Meteor

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Yeah. The Box only calls it "Final Fantasy VII Remake". It's been a point of contention for a while. The interviews and such have been very open about the fact that its a multi-part series, but I do think they should have added something to the title. If they didn't want to use the "Part One" subtitle for fear of people thinking it wasn't a full game, they should have gone with "Final Fantasy VII Remake: Midgar" or something.

That is what I am getting at. There will be a ton of legit confused and pissed off people if they don't start point out it's not a full game.

PLUS there will be a ton of people that will try to take advantage of retailers, doing charge backs and such, and will probably win, as they can prove it didn't say anything.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

I rather have subtitles, The Harsh Journey, The Calamity of the Skies, The Promised Land. All lore phrases in the game.

Not sure about the first part, I guess, The City of Gathering Souls (since that's where all the main players 'souls' meet and the midgar reactors are literally harvesting souls)

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Remake part 2 will go through development hell (new director, new engine, etc), eventually be changed significantly enough to be rebranded as FF16... I guess thats FF15 basically

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XVI (if its indeed Yoshidas Project) entered full production in April 2019 - im gonna expect a announcement this year for the next gen consoles and a release in 2021/22

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
FFXVI is, in all likelihood, being developed by former FFXIV staff and possibly being produced by Naoki Yoshida. That group knows how to properly release a game.

Meanwhile, I fully expect FF7R Part 2 to hit major development problems and get delayed, due to feature creep, getting overly ambitious, or something like that. I really don't expect it to come out anytime soon.

So I have more faith in FFXVI right now.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI is, in all likelihood, being developed by former FFXIV staff and possibly being produced by Naoki Yoshida. That group knows how to properly release a game.

dd0.png

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Part 2 will very obviously be out before XVI. I'm shocked that anyone would think otherwise.

But I also think we're going to start seeing faster development times for Square Enix and it might surprise people.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Part 2 will very obviously be out before XVI. I'm shocked that anyone would think otherwise.

But I also think we're going to start seeing faster development times for Square Enix and it might surprise people.

why are you shocked?

FFXVI presumably entered full development in April 2019, the former BD2 team working on that project for a long time behind the scenes.
in regards to FFVII Kitase said the next part will not necessarily release faster, which makes sense, given the scope of content that awaits us.

so lets say Part 2 takes 3-4 years of time, its not far fetched to assume that XVI will release before that

Last edited:

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Oh come on! It should be totally clear that I am talking about their ARR and onward work here!

The problems with 1.0 were heavily driven by Crystal Tools and Wada's mismanagement anyways, and those are things of the past.

1.0 was rushed to release after having a severe delay in development. On the other hand, the project that FFXIV devs split off to work on has been in pre-production for years, and has supposedly entered full production some time last year. It is not being rushed, and has been worked on for a while.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You have to rearrange the world then, like move major towns around. And considering
Aeris dies lol (unless they do a gimmick and let her live)
you would want to visit as many places earlier with her as possible in earlier parts.
yeah i think the major thing that is going to be vastly different is that spoiler. i still think it'll happen but it'll either be earlier than we expect (like the end of part 1 maybe?) or way, way later (at the end of the penultimate part, which is what i think is more likely)

either way i'm excited to see them play with the story

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on! It should be totally clear that I am talking about their ARR and onward work here!

The problems with 1.0 were heavily driven by Crystal Tools and Wada's mismanagement anyways, and those are things of the past.

1.0 was rushed to release after having a severe delay in development. On the other hand, the project that FFXIV devs split off to work on has been in pre-production for years, and has supposedly entered full production some time last year. It is not being rushed, and has been worked on for a while.
Not to mention Hiromichi Tanaka was sick at the time

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i know i'm supposed to be cynical AF about SE's production pipeline but theoretically FF7R2 would be easy and fast to develop for with the assets and engine in place. i expect to play it in a few years, can't say that for FF16 but lots of caveats could make things go the other way

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
i would love to learn about ffxvi. i imagine its development has been rocky/rebooted a few times with ffvii remake now in full steam. i would assume that the old nvidia tech demo was using early assets/concepts but who knows if that's what they'll go with in the end.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
i know i'm supposed to be cynical AF about SE's production pipeline but theoretically FF7R2 would be easy and fast to develop for with the assets and engine in place. i expect to play it in a few years, can't say that for FF16 but lots of caveats could make things go the other way
The rest of the world is very different from Midgar, although they can definitely take advantage of the Midgar reactor assets. Especially in part 2.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think people who expect Part 2 in just a couple of years are in for a rude awakening.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The rest of the world is very different from Midgar, although they can definitely take advantage of the Midgar reactor assets. Especially in part 2.

definitely won't be copy/paste but the base building tools are there for about anything they want to do. i guess the deciding factor is whether part 2 will do a 180 and be a sprawling open world or whatever, as to which they'll probably have to go back to the drawing board

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My guess it if ends at the City of the Ancients or Whirlwind maze, it indeed won't be out for a few years. That's a lot of world, a lot.
I haven't played the original FF7 myself so I can't comment on specifics, but I've seen/heard a lot of discussions about it so I know it's a huge game. People either have forgotten how big and varied FF7 is or simply don't realize how much work it takes to recreate something like that on the scale that SE is doing with Part 1.