Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Funi continue using the lollipop because it was some kind of FCC rule about cartoons portraying smoking?

No.
In the brief time they had a "kid friendly" dub for Toonami, they edited his cigarette out.

Ironically enough, there's a couple of recent references to lollipop Sanji. There's a mirror clone of Sanji seen holding one during Whole Cake Island, and the Cup Noodle Universe has High School Sanji sucking on a lolly.

Here's what happened. The guy who mentioned it, believe it was on an interview at ANN, wasn't at 4Kids Entertainment when the licensing deal and everything went down. He assumed they picked it up with another title (like DoremI, as they were negotiating it around that time), but there was also the "It was a bundle deal with Shonen Jump" titles bit going around too (unsure if it was him or someone else), which was also equally bull crap, as multiple parties owned different shows (TV Tokyo & ADK jointly on Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King I'm not 100% sure on, but could be another ADK/NAS and/or TV Tokyo license), and Toei Animation had full distribution rights to push One Piece. The only other party that could've arguably made deals with One Piece, would've been Fuji TV at this point, who is separate from the aforementioned parties, so it'd still wouldn't add up, either way.

Either way, one of the lead composers/music producers at 4Kids Entertainment, confirmed awhile back (think it was on his AMA?) that Al Kahn wanted it because of how much money it made in Japan. Reportedly there was concerns internally from 4Kids that it was a bad idea, due to the content and among other things, but Al Kahn got his way ultimately.

The thing we're still not exactly sure what happened is how exactly Toei Animation gave it to them, regardless. FUNimation Entertainment announced at an anime convention in mid-2003 they had the license, and then some point shortly after retracted the statement. So there was always a deal in place, but somehow Toei was able to ditch the deal and ultimately go with 4Kids. Why? We're not sure.

But yeah, as Aaron mentioned, reportedly 4Kids did want to do a faithful dub and everything, and from what it sounded like, Toei wanted something more like their other dubs. I think part of what happened is that Dragon Ball Z was incredibly successful with the localization it had, and 4Kids also had similar successes with similar localizations.

My friend, Sam, was constantly in contact with Toei Animation from late 2006, onwards. I still remember the one phone call he had with the Toei Animation at the time, when he was talking with the Representative on the phone, and apparently the guy was surprised people liked how the original version was, and the fact fans preferred the Japanese music, in particular blew the guys mind. So realistically, I'm like fairly certain Toei made all the calls to change the music in the dub, because they assumed that's what fans wanted.

Hmmmm interesting.

The fact Toei didn't realize fans preferred the Japanese music sounds like their usual ignorance.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So some thoughts:
1. I have to give it to 4kids for adapting Ultimate Muscle, the continuation of a series that only made it's way to the US via a bunch of small toys, and made it so popular that it extended the life of the anime. And the toyline wasn't half bad either.
2. I kind of doubt One Piece would have been popular with a more faithful dub. I love One Piece, it just takes a while to get going and even then it's super different stylistically from Naruto and Bleach, or even DBZ or YYH.
3. For some reason, Amazon Prime Video has Fighting Foodons, so someone is licensing the streaming rights.
4. So where the heck are the streaming rights for Zoids and stuff like SD Gundam Force (I know 4kids didn't do either of these, but who has them?), or even Ultimate Muscle?

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah Ultimate Muscle always confused me

it was popular enough in the West to get new seasons but 4kids stopped airing it after the last episode

Did they lose licensing rights?

Cyklik

Dec 3, 2018
It was an amazing idea and the online interaction was ingenuity at its finest. And the art on the cards was cool and so was the stories you could piece together. The whole "M'arillian Invasion" was a whole event of my childhood that almost no one currently on Earth cared about lol

Oh man, I was on the game design team for Chaotic at TC Digital from the launch in 2007 until 4Kids started winding us down at the end of 2009. You're absolutely right, the card art and the world building/backstory that was what really drove that game in a way I don't think any of us expected.

So wild to see a thread about this.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I was on the game design team for Chaotic at TC Digital from the launch in 2007 until 4Kids started winding us down at the end of 2009. You're absolutely right, the card art and the world building/backstory that was written really drove that game in a way I don't think any of us expected.

So wild to see a thread about this.
Bless you for playing a part in creating that game. I had friends in elementary school when the game came out but when I got to middle school I had no friends so I spent hours on the ChaoticGame.com website reading the forums, uploading my cards, and getting excited for the next Chaotic episode on Saturday. I would take in the art and analyze the stats on each card. You fellows really improved my childhood!

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the subject, did anyone every continue the uncut Duel Monsters that I think Funi did with 4kids back in the day?
That died after about 9 episodes because it started so long after the edited of those episodes came out, only had a sub track based on the dub script, and was too expensive to to keep going because of the rights issues at the time (apparently the idol agency that Yugi's JP VA worked for asked for a lot of cash). Thankfully almost the entire franchise is available subbed on Crunchyroll now, so if you want to see it uncut you can.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Holy shit, that song slaps.

Funny thing is that when I was a kid and later learned about subs, my first thought was "how are they going to add the other crew members into this theme?"

My question gets technically answered when Nico Robin joins and they just go back to the original theme (that excludes everyone past Zoro and Nami)

Oct 25, 2017
Joey Wheeler's Brooklyn accent remains one of the best dub decisions ever made.

Its hilarious now, but I kind of appreciated SOME of their changes honestly, learning what actually happened in certain scenes after the fact was just dark and not in fun way. That Marik backstory would've just been traumatizing as opposed to already disturbing.

I fuck with 4Kids and their One Piece theme slaps.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That died after about 9 episodes because it started so long after the edited of those episodes came out, only had a sub track based on the dub script, and was too expensive to to keep going because of the rights issues at the time (apparently the idol agency that Yugi's JP VA worked for asked for a lot of cash). Thankfully almost the entire franchise is available subbed on Crunchyroll now, so if you want to see it uncut you can.

So a little dumb thing about this: Japan forgot to renew the contract with Johnny's, who is known to have insane regulations with their songs, talent, etc., and TV Tokyo and NAS/ADK somehow completely forgot the contract expired. Yuugi's actor was the issue involved in this. After taking a year for 4Kids to clear everything, that ultimately came out. This is actually why there was a couple year gap in re-runs for Yu-Gi-Oh! on Japanese TV. The Japanese rights holder couldn't air, distribute, or sell (other than what's out there) the series while this issue was going on, even in Japan itself. Eventually this got cleared and the re-runs once again came back, this time on BS Japan, TV Tokyo's BS Satellite feed (which is now called BS TV Tokyo, probably for branding reasonings).

Johnny's is also why infamously why some songs on re-runs, streaming services, etc., are missing on some anime. Famously, recent re-airings on InuYasha in Japan and US had to remove V8 and Tsubasa & Tacky's songs because of this very reasoning. Happened with One Piece with one of the Ending songs, as well.

(It should be noted the situation with Kodacha is completely separate from the usual Johnny's issue. TOKIO just absolutely wants nothing to do with America and it's why his songs are refused access.)

Either way, Konami is working with Crunchyroll to stream all the episodes. They're going through it fairly slowly, but hopefully things should speed up now that VRAINS will be wrapping up.

You can check it out what all Konami has up here:

It should be noted all series subtitled versions are legally available in almost every territory outside of Asia. Dub availability is a little more spotty, however. Italy's availability is incredibly spotty and I think only Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V is available. Curiously, Canada was one of the few territories not included in the simulcasts for Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS. Hopefully with the series wrapping up, that will change.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal strangely is the only series without any subtitles up and I'm not sure why. I'm considering reaching out to their Konami Cross Media NY branch and see if they can publicly talk what the hold up is there.

Aine

May 27, 2019
The Yu-Gi-Oh lawsuit (along with losing Pokemon) more or less brought them under.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
DTn1VpBX0AAsPXZ.jpg
How rude

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I remember in the early 2000s, 4Kids was like THE anime dubber... and many people hated them due to how much they edited and censored things... but what was it that made people go "Yeah, 4Kids is going bankrupt." Nowadays, all that's left of them was absorbed by Konami to dub Yu-Gi-Oh. (actually, didn't they try to sue them?) Was it the One Piece dub doing so badly that hurt their reputation? (Interesting story, they didn't even WANT One Piece)

So yeah, what's the story? I want to know what really happened.

They were never "The Anime dubber" they were trash as soon as they dubbed anything other than Pokémon. Bandai , Pioneer , ADV and Viz were the top Anime studios. Funimation was around but people were also angry about the censorship of DBZ when they were still working with Saban. Today Funimation pretty much runs the English anime industry but back then they were a small Texas studio.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just remember the horrible midi sound tracks and even worse voice actors they used for tmnt and sonic x

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Here's what happened. The guy who mentioned it, believe it was on an interview at ANN, wasn't at 4Kids Entertainment when the licensing deal and everything went down. He assumed they picked it up with another title (like DoremI, as they were negotiating it around that time), but there was also the "It was a bundle deal with Shonen Jump" titles bit going around too (unsure if it was him or someone else), which was also equally bull crap, as multiple parties owned different shows (TV Tokyo & ADK jointly on Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King I'm not 100% sure on, but could be another ADK/NAS and/or TV Tokyo license), and Toei Animation had full distribution rights to push One Piece. The only other party that could've arguably made deals with One Piece, would've been Fuji TV at this point, who is separate from the aforementioned parties, so it'd still wouldn't add up, either way.

Either way, one of the lead composers/music producers at 4Kids Entertainment, confirmed awhile back (think it was on his AMA?) that Al Kahn wanted it because of how much money it made in Japan. Reportedly there was concerns internally from 4Kids that it was a bad idea, due to the content and among other things, but Al Kahn got his way ultimately.

The thing we're still not exactly sure what happened is how exactly Toei Animation gave it to them, regardless. FUNimation Entertainment announced at an anime convention in mid-2003 they had the license, and then some point shortly after retracted the statement. So there was always a deal in place, but somehow Toei was able to ditch the deal and ultimately go with 4Kids. Why? We're not sure.

But yeah, as Aaron mentioned, reportedly 4Kids did want to do a faithful dub and everything, and from what it sounded like, Toei wanted something more like their other dubs. I think part of what happened is that Dragon Ball Z was incredibly successful with the localization it had, and 4Kids also had similar successes with similar localizations.

My friend, Sam, was constantly in contact with Toei Animation from late 2006, onwards. I still remember the one phone call he had with the Toei Animation at the time, when he was talking with the Representative on the phone, and apparently the guy was surprised people liked how the original version was, and the fact fans preferred the Japanese music, in particular blew the guys mind. So realistically, I'm like fairly certain Toei made all the calls to change the music in the dub, because they assumed that's what fans wanted.
word, I've heard this from industry insiders on podcast's a decade ago, Toei wanted that worldwide phenomenon effect that pokemon had and editing things around was ok for DBZ too and people were alright with that. god I hate when everybody makes 4kids into the singular scape goat.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
So some thoughts:
1. I have to give it to 4kids for adapting Ultimate Muscle, the continuation of a series that only made it's way to the US via a bunch of small toys, and made it so popular that it extended the life of the anime. And the toyline wasn't half bad either.
2. I kind of doubt One Piece would have been popular with a more faithful dub. I love One Piece, it just takes a while to get going and even then it's super different stylistically from Naruto and Bleach, or even DBZ or YYH.
3. For some reason, Amazon Prime Video has Fighting Foodons, so someone is licensing the streaming rights.
4. So where the heck are the streaming rights for Zoids and stuff like SD Gundam Force (I know 4kids didn't do either of these, but who has them?), or even Ultimate Muscle?
4Kids liquidated a lot of their licenses to other companies or let them expire naturally, so who knows.

I think what One Piece needed even more than a better dub was a weekday slot. This is why Funimation picking it up back when Toonami ran Monday through Friday would have been perfect. The pacing is just too slow to keep American viewers engaged on a weekly basis en masse. The same could be said for Dragon Ball Z - I don't think it's any coincidence that show was at its peak popularity in the US when there were five new episodes a week. Something like Freeza's "in five minutes the planet will explode!" being stretched out over ten episodes is far less egregious when it wraps up in two weeks as opposed to nearly three months.

The obvious counterpoint to that is that those shows did well in Japan despite being on a weekly schedule, but that speaks more to the difference in anime/manga fandom between both countries. DBZ, One Piece, Pokémon, Yugioh, etc. have always been marketed in America as the TV series first, with everything else an offshoot of that. Even the Pokémon anime premiered a few weeks before Red and Blue launched in the US, while Yugioh's first episode made it to the airwaves months before the TCG was in stores. In Japan however, the One Piece anime is a marketing tool for the manga, likewise with DBZ. Notice how with Super the pacing is dramatically better than old-school DBZ (not Kai), because Super is anime first, manga second. Japanese viewers probably just aren't as bothered by the sluggish pacing of One Piece, since they know the manga is the real story anyway.

That being said, the show was doing amazingly on Toonami in its first run (with the 4Kids dub). For a good stretch there it was the cornerstone show of the block, until Naruto premiered anyway (and even then it was a firm #2). I don't know if the show's ratings just tapered off by the time Funimation took over (they said the ratings actually improved initially), or if it had more to do with Cartoon Network gradually moving away from anime and Toonami, but in any case the show had a good run for a while. In hindsight, it probably would have been better if 4Kids sent the show straight to Toonami rather than trying it out on Saturday mornings first, where it performed terribly - they certainly would have saved themselves a lot of trouble editing the show to oblivion to meet FCC standards.

You're absolutely right about Ultimate Muscle, it's their finest work.

word, I've heard this from industry insiders on podcast's a decade ago, Toei wanted that worldwide phenomenon effect that pokemon had and editing things around was ok for DBZ too and people were alright with that. god I hate when everybody makes 4kids into the singular scape goat.
It shouldn't be misunderstood, 4Kids was pretty terrible as a production company and their producers (like Al Kahn) were all pretty shady. A lot of their bad dubbing practices came down to money. The only reason Pokémon kept its Japanese score is allegedly due to some contractual issue that mandated it. Dinosaur King (a Pokémon ripoff from Sega whose anime 4Kids also dubbed) had a similar clause, meaning it had some of its music retained in the American version. All the other dubs? 4Kids could collect royalties every time their music was played, and especially when they sold the license to international companies (i.e. any company outside of the US who wanted to dub Yugioh had to go through 4Kids, not Konami or whoever else), which made it a pretty lucrative arrangement. They'd always justify it with comments like "oh, well the American kids don't like the orchestral stuff, they only want techno and rap" and it's like, I guess I don't really have anything to contradict that but I'd also imagine kids don't care that much. Same with DBZ and Faulconer, it's not like the show bombed in every other country where they kept the Kikuchi music - it certainly didn't hurt its success but I question how much it helped.

That being said, they did seem to really want to approach One Piece differently than their other dubs, and it's frustrating that Toei meddled. Their dub actually wasn't too far off from the Japanese version at first (besides music changes and censorship), but it got significantly worse around the time Usopp was introduced and never really improved.

Btw - the Mexican dub of One Piece was based on the 4Kids version, so it uses their script, music, edited footage, etc. but retained the theme song and credits music from the Japanese version, just with Spanish lyrics. I think 4Kids did intend to keep the songs and music in their dub of the show at one point, and then it just didn't happen. Here's their version of We Are - I always preferred it to Funimation's version, honestly:

(that video syncs the music up to the Japanese version, so you don't get to see Sanji's lollipop, but rest assured he had it in 4Kids' version, lol)

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
i saw a thread pop up on /a/ about 4kids the other day and someone mentioned that 4kids had withheld royalties from tvtokyo and whoever else was involved with the anime and when they found out they more or less launched a lawsuit against 4kids , i think in the end 4kids lost and were bought out by konami purely for the yu-gi-oh anime dubbing and slowly went from 4 K to some generic konami name kinda like how the remainder of kojima productions was renamed to konami dev 3 or something like that
Konami Cross Media NY is its current name. The rename happened recently.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That being said, the show was doing amazingly on Toonami in its first run (with the 4Kids dub). For a good stretch there it was the cornerstone show of the block, until Naruto premiered anyway (and even then it was a firm #2).
I have no idea how 4kids One Piece was doing in the ratings, but Naruto premiered in Sept. 2005 while One Piece didn't move to Toonami from Fox until Feb. 2006, so OP was never the "cornerstone show" like you say it was.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how 4kids One Piece was doing in the ratings, but Naruto premiered in Sept. 2005 while One Piece didn't move to Toonami from Fox until Feb. 2006, so OP was never the "cornerstone show" like you say it was.

Aaron probably misremembered the exact date. However, it doing well in the ratings is absolutely true, just wasn't quite Naruto level success (which is fine, shows there was still growth). Something to note that One Piece did get weekday runs at around 10PM or so, and ratings were reportedly fairly good for the main run. What really helped was Cartoon Network/Toonami's marketing for the series.

The problems with the Cartoon Network run start to manifest itself once Jim Samples had to step down after an incident with Adult Swim involving Aqua Team Hunger Force, which resulted in massive internal changes in Cartoon Network. I'd have to pull up the credits to compare, but Power Puff Girls Z during the Japanese run had quite a number of American staff changed in the Producer side of things, which suggested that Cartoon Network's upper administration had completely shifted once Stuart Snyder took over. Unfortunately, with him coming in, resulted in massive changes in the network, changes in habits for action shows, acquisitions, etc., and among other things. One Piece, among other shows, ended up on the chopping block, as well as other things.

A lot of these policies, even with new management, continue today with how certain shows (action) are handled on the network. This is still very unfortunate and I have no idea why they do this.

It should be noted Cartoon Network likely had already been in the process to negotiate the Skypiea episodes for One Piece, prior to Samples stepping down. Likely there was a plan for the FUNimation episodes in place, but a lot of things fell through during this period.

One last thing as Aaron mentioned: I won't blame 4Kids as a whole (really sounded like most of the people there really gave a crap, it was just always upper management), but I mentioned in a previous post that Al Kahn did some absolutely shady practices with his licenses and negotiations. You can read it here. But yeah, they did some really, really, awful things with the companies that they worked with. And as far as we can tell, most of the finger pointing could be directed at Al Kahn.

As for the teams working on the shows and dubs? Majority of them really did care about them. The script writers, ADR Directors, the voice actors, some of the marketing/brand and management people, were all very talents and well intended people. I always hate whenever I see a majority of these people, particularly the voice actors and ADR Directors, get shitted on, because of their dubs. Majority of those people are incredibly talented, and often times were likely restricted because upper management wanted the dubs to sound a certain way (I believe we have a quote from someone who mentioned most of those calls were outside of the VAs and ADR Directors, but I forget who).

But yeah. 4Kids and the people? They were all good people. Al Kahn? Not so much...