• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
GAF created the Community boards because several OTs were clogging up the front pages and made it hard to find new news. Absolutely nothing has changed that would imply that wouldn't happen again.

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
Assuming prominent members means the people who post in almost every thread and have a fanbase here every time they post....those are the last people I'd want opinions from. They're drawn to drama.

Way too much of a popularity club around here sometimes.

Glad the change got reverted

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
So the update changelog is:
  • Everyone is mad, yo
  • All the community thread creators got put on a lot of ignore lists

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basically what happened was, the mod/admin team thought they had a brilliant idea on their hands, so they made an announcement for it about 2 or 3 days ago. The majority of the community hated it, and rather than listen to their community aka the life blood of this forum, they instead decided to ignore us, implement the changes anyway, only to realize that not only were the changes not good, but everyone hated them which shouldn't have been a surprise given that the reaction to the original announcement was largely negative.

Frankly the Era team as a whole needs to become better at taking and accepting feedback. You should have taken the community's opinions on the matter before doing anything, what you instead did was ignore your community, and implement the changes anyway. Not a good look and you should be doing better than this.
Agree with all this. The mod/admin team here can be uncomfortably rigid.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It was as bad as the Iraq war
XS5LK.gif

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hoo boy that changeup last night was horrendous - glad to see they quickly rectified that!

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one knows. They never were named, which is reasonable, but the admins haven't answered any questions regarding even how these members were identified or what the discussion/brainstorming process was like. No one has come forward claiming to be one of the members and no evidence has been presented to show that such members even exist/were consulted.

I really can't imagine why they don't want to be named when you look around the forum and discussion surrounding this..

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one knows. They never were named, which is reasonable, but the admins haven't answered any questions regarding even how these members were identified or what the discussion/brainstorming process was like. No one has come forward claiming to be one of the members and no evidence has been presented to show that such members even exist/were consulted.
I was one, community resettlers and people that make the threads were asked. I had no problem with the idea.

We were told what was going to happen a few days before it did, the wheels were already in motion. Shitting on "prominent members" for no reason

Fridge Freezer

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2018
Ignoring the design decisions, I hope the mods and admins realize by this point that you need to include the community as a whole when making sweeping decisions like this, or you risk the blowback you're receiving now and the weakening of this nice little forum we have now. I have no doubt you had only the best intentions in mind, but considering the history of this community you've got to have some common sense about it all.

I appreciate that you were willing to go back on the decision.

Yep. The big error was just announcing something based on a situation most users didn't care about (OT usage stats); whilst generally just ignoring the concerns about the impact this would have on the threads those users did care about.

If the team had a concern then I think the best thing is to raise it and see what people think. The fact spotlight OTs hardly gain extra traction should have told the story though imo.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like night/day era all over again. Except they didn't leave in the old "legacy" style, so they had to change the whole site back.

Why can't the staff just listen to the community? You know the point of this forum existing in the first place.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope the Era team can adiquitly respond to the concerns being raised. To say the handling had been poor would be a understatement.

Anyway. Congrats to the admin team for almost reaching 1 year without stepping in it massively tho. Almost made it! Mistakes will happen. But it's how you handle them that will define you. So get to it I guess?

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm prepared to leave whenever 2.0 rolls out. Every single update to the site has made it worse for me and I have zero hope for that. This one at least was reverted back for now.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe docseuss can pick up the work of all those fired volunteers

nah, I'm good. I'm good enough at this that I deserve to get paid for it.

because I give a shit about resetera.

Bad management is what kills forums more than anything else. If there are people who are making decisions that harm the community, they do not deserve to be in power. The goal of forum moderation/administration is to ensure the community thrives. By making decisions that harm the community, like this one, those people have demonstrated that they do not deserve the power they have. That is worse than being someone who posts constant toxic bullshit, because one person can be ignored; forum decisions can't.

Someone who makes decisions like this is either stupid, unwise, or a genuinely bad person. You don't want that kind of person running a forum, because they'll drive it into the fucking ground in the name of their power.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Mixing OTs with regular threads was a really bad idea IMO.

If you had just made a 5th sub-forum, I don't think we would have had as much as a fuss.

Constructive criticism:

- if you want to get more people in the community threads, maybe have a newsletter highlighting some of the more popular ones?
- if this was to seperate politics from other news, why not create a tag system wherein threadmakers click a box stating the thread being started is political and any member who wishes to not see any political news will be able to filter them out in a setting.

I'm sorry the mods spent so much time on this in any case.

Deleted member 45

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Hi y'all,

I'm here to answer questions y'all might have about the changes and the reversion. I'm on a plane flying back from visiting family so just a heads up in case I don't respond immediately (airplane wifi sucks).

For a quick tldr, you can find an overview of what happened here (https://www.resetera.com/threads/back-to-normal.66147/).

EDIT: If y'all can tag me, it'll make it easier to sort through the questions.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So the admin in the other thread mention "prominent members".

Who are they and how did they become prominent members?

I'd like to know.
This mysterious Prominent Members thing seems like it was a very Animal Farm-esque reversal of policy.

ResetEra started with a very clear statement that there would not be a class system of members.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For what it's worth, this actually was explained in the announcement thread by BronsonLee but it got lost in the shuffle.

People who were most active in community threads nominated other active members in those communities and that's who the prominent members were. Later another poster, who I forget, who was part of this said it was roughly 50 people. I don't think anyone was ever revealed or came forward though

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So uh... why not do the change they did, but have entertainment hangout and etcetera hangout sections? It'd solve the visibility problem of some communities and not clog up any forums with OTs.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Why try to fix when nothing was broke?

Oct 27, 2017
That's too bad. It sounds like there were larger reasons for the reversal but I thought the idea of an entertainment forumfwhere we could discuss non-games entertainment had merit. Assuming that was the idea.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
ahem

Prominent members was an admittedly poor choice of words, used in passing in the original announcement. The administration has since indicated that it simply refers to a convenience sample in community threads, not a shadow council of mod favorites.

thank you

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Never stop rebooting!

ERA This Morning:

a0a259b5f007ec2e3ddbba1c014fb9d3.jpg

ERA Now:

180623_ntl_roseanne_1253_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

The entertainment section being your racist old grandma that everyone tolerated for awhile, but mostly just tried to ignore. Now, let us never speak of it again.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the changes and how they went about implementing them, but I do appreciate the admins taking a step back and reversing course. It would have been easy to ignore the outcry and just shove the change down our throats and go about business, but they didn't. So thank you, for whatever that's worth.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't post as much as I used to and have become mostly a lurker. The change was bad imho. As many have said new news ended up being drowned out by OT's. A majority of people on this forum probably aren't visiting OT community threads like they said I think. But that's most forums. A lot of people are just going to lurk then eventually join. This change wasn't going to convert lurkers or increase community traffic.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The change seemed useless, but at least they changed it back.

- they told people it was going to happen
- they explained why they thought about doing it
- they had discussion about whether or not to do it
- it got done, sucked, and got changed back specifically because they're open to discussion/change

I just don't know what else people would want here. Should there be a thread where they apologize to users for trying to change it? Should people step down? Should there have been some sort of vote where all the tens of thousands of users pick how the forum is run?

Your vastly downplaying what happened.

-People were "told" the day before in a single thread that nobody paid attention.
-The explanations were not clear.
-The discussion was not open and no real concerns were addressed.
-It was done in the middle of the night the next day, startling most every user that didn't pay attention to that one thread a day before.
-It sucked. There was no official feedback page, no welcome back message to explain why this happened and where to address concerns. A separate thread was made by regular members in which about only one mod actively engaged in discussion about the matter and it took a while for that discussion to even get stickied.
-After this out pour, the changed was reverted.