ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, except hardly anybody visits that section and most of those communities see very little activity. Lol at cluttering up the user experience

Leave it up to the members of the community to proselytize.

See a thread about DB news with a bunch of professed DB fans posting in it? Someone can recommend everyone check out the Community thread.

See a thread asking about advice on moving to Vancouver? Someone can recommend they check out the Vancouver community thread.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of things about this, which a user I'm quoting also notes below. A/B tests are not as simple as you might think and there is a reason that there is an entire profession, User Research, dedicated to these types of design experiments.

You need answers to the following questions before you even consider an A/B test:
  • Experimental Design:
    • As pointed out via the user below, how are you going to sample the ResetERA population?
      • If you're including stakeholders, like Mods, why are you and do the benefits outweigh the risks?
    • Will the tests be opt in or opt out?
      • What are the pros and cons to each of these strategies?
    • Will you do a pilot study with the Prominent Members?
    • Before you even considered a redesign, did you speak with your users to collect feedback and get a direction?
    • How many variables should you change in an A/B test in order to make valid assumptions?
    • How long do you need to let participants use the experimental design in order to collect adequate, accurate data?
      • Note: The time used for this "experiment" was not enough. The data was biased by poor user onboarding, shock from the change, and limited timeframe.
  • Data:
    • How many users will you need to collect data from before you feel confident that you're making the right decision?
    • How are you collecting usage metrics?
    • Are you just basing decisions off of quantitative metrics? Or are you doing qualitative follow-ups based on trends you see?
    • Will you publish all, or some of the data to the ResetERA?
People often misunderstand how to do design research and overly leverage quantitative data assuming they're doing it right. I implore you, if you're going to attempt to do this? Make sure that you're doing it correctly. Otherwise stakeholders will just double down on bad decisions utilizing false data to plug their ears to feedback.
This is all solid advice.

I think before this type of experimental design is even considered though, they need to work on seeing if this is even worth it by looking at qualitative information from the community, which requires a whole different set of methodologies. AB testing might be really difficult to implement technically, but qualitative research methods can be really easy to pick up and don't require testing hypotheses and not violating assumptions that you might with an AB test (or t-test, as we call in my discipline). That information is readily available and can be done so long as mods are willing to actually read and code feedback in these sorts of threads.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
This entire saga has been silly and super entertaining to follow

Going through with the change without a "hide thread" option was fairly naive. I didn't think of just blocking the OPs though, haha

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I saw a era peasant walk by me

Pshhh I thought, how dare this stiny peasant walk in my way. I called my best friend bronsonlee to come and perma ban that poster

That posters name? Kirblar

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
People moaning about "having to see so many Trump threads" or other political threads are so annoying. Like, it must be nice to be able to just ignore all the horrible shit he's doing because it doesn't effect you. Some of us want to keep up with it all because it does have consequences for us and we can't simply cover our eyes and ears and pretend it's not happening.

EtcetEra is essentially my homepage. Opening it each morning and seeing the big political happenings is the main reason I visit.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "prominent" members thing kinda shocked me tbh.

I didn't think this forum rolled like that with regards to who gets a say

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
what an impertinent globalist you are
giphy.gif

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Some people take things too far when it comes to criticism. Admins implemented changes they thought were good, realized they weren't, and fixed it. I'm sure it was a learning experience either way.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Okay, continue your conspiracy theories about an update that was conceived of and decided by the Administrators.

You don't read well, it was stated by the leadership that they consulted Prominent members (OT creators / controllers) on the changes and this process helped inform the changes made.

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on getting to live a privileged comfortable life where the status quo is more comfortable than change, I guess?

This doesnt make sense and is hugely judgmental. Not needing everything to be about politics and shit does not automatically mean they are against change or living some comfortable privileged life.

Sorry, but that's stupid as hell.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Why can't I just watch football without people shoving politics in my face.

Your response has nothing to do with what I posted. Taking a mental break from politics for even a week or two can have a positive impact on mental health. Doing so doesn't mean the person agrees with the bullshit you posted above. Frankly, taking a break from people like you, who are quick to jump to the worst possible conclusions, can also have an extremely positive impact on mental health.

Nov 2, 2017
As a mini-analysis:

On NeoGAF, the politics of that place were becoming abhorrent. The_Donald-lite, to put it succinctly. Removing politics from the equation likely led to increased activity immediately.

What hilarious revisionist history. GAF was a near-extreme leftist echo chamber that blew up because it couldn't withstand the community's purity testing and hypocritical moderation practices. You were banned just for hinting at Trump support there - just like here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
This doesnt make sense and is hugely judgmental. Not needing everything to be about politics and shit does not automatically mean they are against change or living some comfortable privileged life.

Sorry, but that's stupid as hell.
Everything is political. Thinking otherwise is stupid as hell. Go download the hide threads extension if you want to stick your head in the sand.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it was a decision that was made with a few rather than the general opinion of the forum.

I can appreciate wanting to try something new but if this was clearly something people had legitimate worries that weren't "change bad!" about and would have voted against it, probably shouldn't have been pushed through like it was.

I'm glad they reversed it as fast as they did though. Just got to make the community feel more involved in these decisions in the future.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
You don't read well, it was stated by the leadership that they consulted Prominent members (OT creators / controllers) on the changes and this process helped inform the changes made.
Important word here is 'consulted', at the end of the day, the final decision on every change is, has been and will always be with the Administrators.

stop trying to curb discussion and critism.
I'm not. Unlike the 'Prominent Members', I don't have that power.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mods have been taking too many Ls this week. Stop locking threads and let people discuss stuff they want.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a mod, but it's a bad look. People already think the mods are "too sensitive" and don't take criticism, so they have to avoid fueling that fire. It sucks that most can't see the nuance between "gentle ribbing," "robust criticism," and "unacceptable ad hominem," but it's an unfortunate reality of their position.

How is it a bad look to ban people, or even just warn them if they take it that far? Most posters would be like "yep, that person took it too far". It's not that hard to make sense of it, it's 1:1 moderation decisions.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
They should do this structure:

• Games
    • Hangouts
  • EtcetEra
    • Hangouts
  • Politics

Easy. Done.
No. That doesn't solve the problem at hand and is also dumb. That's what GAF did. Because they now are full of alt-right types who don't want "politics" (read: important issues) having anything to do with their games or their movies.

Literally the worst ERA could do.