• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 2 wouldn't have existed without Nintendo though.
If Bayonetta 2 wasn't funded by Nintendo, there wouldn't be any more Bayonetta. Don't blame the developer for being literally unable to continue making games unless they switched platforms. The player base isn't forced to follow, but I don't think devs like Platinum ever want to abandon their player base.
Bayonetta 2 would have left the player base behind by not fucking existing

I never said otherwise? You guys are reading into that things I didn't say.

But if someone tried to say that any sales problems were the player base from the first game's fault for not buying a Wii U that would be ridiculous. Not everyone has to play on every gaming platform under the sun.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I'll reply just for clarification. My point from the very beginning was that if they have to go through bankruptcy and paying half a salary to their entire company, it's not worth pursuing console development first for the games they want to make. That's all.
Your point is understood, but it was the scope of the game that caused the financial issues and not console development.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I would argue that it's the player base who left them behind by completely ignoring a game that's literally Journey but better in every sense because they're scared of playing on their phones.

As someone who enjoyed all their previous releases, I'd literally never heard of Sky until this thread. I don't enjoy playing games on my phone, but will at least look into this one.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that it's the player base who left them behind by completely ignoring a game that's literally Journey but better in every sense because they're scared of playing on their phones.

Or maybe we just don't have phones that can run a game like that and would rather just play a journey like experience on a TV. A phone isn't even capable of giving me that experience. One of the best parts of playing through Journey in its entirety on a big screen TV was how it completely enveloped me. Put that on a tiny screen and give it microtransactions which absolutely take me out of the experience and you've just given me two things to completely destroy what would pull me into that kind of game. Why would that interest me then?

There's no better way to describe how half of Era treats mobile gaming. I guess they're scared of being seeing as casuals or something. I dunno.

This is really pathetic. No, it has nothing to do with fear. I don't mind playing games on mobile. But an experience like this just does not do it for me. This is a weirdly superior position you're taking, and it's very offputting.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This a thread of some truly awful takes lol.

Sky is rad. Maybe not Journey rad but still very good. Releasing games on phones isn't leaving people behind anymore than each generational shift is leaving players behind.

You can be disappointed that the game isn't on your platform of choice but to say you're being left behind because they're no longer developing for your multi-hundred pound setup is just gamers being gamers.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
You are the one moving the goal posts. So now I have to go buy cables to transfer the image to my TV (and then cobble them together with a third party controller). Basically, I need to construct a console piece by piece. How is that a reasonable expectation? Seems to me I would just be better off playing games on a console which is a pleasurable experience out of the box (without engaging in some kind of DIY experiment). Your argument is asinine.

Especially since this game is coming to a console... so why would I bother with any of this? I will just keep buying good games on consoles.

"piece by piece" lmao...you're acting like you're literally being required to solder boards and chips together. Need to buy a compatible bluetooth gamepad (which are dirt cheap on Amazon) and maybe two cords, probably one. I have a tablet that I connect my Xbox one controller to via BT and use one of those tablet clamps you secure onto a nearby table. Takes maybe less than five minutes to set up. It's like some of ya'll just want to be as unresourceful as possible.

Also gotta love the cringe "betraylton Sony!" posts from OP...an indie company goes where they need to keep the lights on once whatever contracts they had fulfilled, which they did, and then decided to go mobile. They don't owe you anything, period. I don't prefer mobile to TV gaming either but what's with all the "bu-but why did it take them so long to make another game?" concern trolling posts? It's almost like studios of any size can run into financial issues or a slew of canceled projects, and no, the details aren't any of your business.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
"piece by piece" lmao...you're acting like you're literally being required to solder boards and chips together. Need to buy a compatible bluetooth gamepad (which are dirt cheap on Amazon) and maybe two cords, probably one. I have a tablet that I connect my Xbox one controller to via BT and use one of those tablet clamps you secure onto a nearby table. Takes maybe less than five minutes to set up. It's like some of ya'll just want to be as unresourceful as possible.

Sounds like a giant pain in the ass to me. You do you, but I have plenty of great games across the many consoles that don't require any of this extra nonsense. If these good phone games release on consoles then that is great. I will happily buy them (as I plan to do with Sky). If they don't, that is the developer's choice. Whatever.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Sky is rad. Maybe not Journey rad but still very good. Releasing games on phones isn't leaving people behind anymore than each generational shift is leaving players behind.

You can be disappointed that the game isn't on your platform of choice but to say you're being left behind because they're no longer developing for your multi-hundred pound setup is just gamers being gamers.

It kind of did leave me behind. I'm not going to upgrade my phone for one game. I'm going to save up to buy a new phone that is actually current, which costs a ton of money. When buying a phone, I'm considering way more factors than most other purchases. Consoles are cheaper. PC's can be modified piecemeal. And as a gaming enthusiast on a budget, I have to carefully consider the place I play games, and I have to prioritize finding a space that facilitates that the best. For me, that has been consoles and PC. If I choose one, given my money is limited, that precludes another. That is the space I am in and the space they found me in when they curated me as part of their audience. A phone is a multipurpose device that I need to consider all my usecases for. It is a much bigger investment than any other electronic device in my life. It's not reasonable for me to upgrade just to play a game, the same way it would be to ask me to upgrade to a new generation of consoles. If them moving to a device that is not reasonable to ask me to just jump to, how is that NOT leaving the audience behind. Hell, if that isn't leaving an audience behind...what would be?

Where an audience is, and therefore, the thing you can leave, is...well, where they are. If you leave that space and go to another one...how is that not leaving your audience? If that's not leaving your audience, like again...what would be?

Your audience, and like, this is, like accepted in professional spaces I've been in, is comprised of people who occupy a space physically/virtually, and consume a type of content. Both matter. If you take your content to a new space, that is, on the whole, considered a new audience. People can be in both audiences, but because the space is new, the audience is different and has different needs and expectations and emotional experience, again even if some of the people exist in both.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Changing platforms is leaving your player base behind. Even gen to gen on the same company's hardware is leaving at least part of your player base behind. To say otherwise is to say that people primarily owned the hardware for that company's games, and not that they bought that company's games because they owned the hardware. As people have pointed out there are a lot of old phones with a long life still left ahead of them. Not everyone wants to buy a new phone every year or even every other year. I just upgraded my galaxy S3 2 years ago. I'll run this one into the ground before upgrading as well.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
This "leaving me behind" business is the dumbest thing in the world. This is a company that makes games. They aren't your parents. They owe no allegiance to you as a consumer or any specific corporation unless said corporations buys them or invests in them to make a game. The only arguable allegiance they owe is to their employees to try to maintain a business.

If you choose not to buy the games on the platform they put them out on cool. That's a perfectly fine decision for you to make. But "left behind" is the most naive childish way of looking at the world.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This "leaving me behind" business is the dumbest thing in the world. This is a company that makes games. They aren't your parents. They owe no allegiance to you as a consumer or any specific corporation unless said corporations buys them or invests in them to make a game. The only arguable allegiance they owe is to their employees to try to maintain a business.

If you choose not to buy the games on the platform they put them out on own cool. That's a perfectly fine decision for you to make. But "left behind" is the most naive childish way of looking at the world.

No one is saying they don't have a right to leave an audience behind or that they are bad people for doing it. You're attaching way too much emotional charge to the idea. It's not an inherently charged term. You are the one charging it. I'm just using it descriptively.

The fact is they left an audience behind. That audience could then chase them, and some will, but many won't, for many reasons, including financial, and it is what it is.

What they did is a separate conversation to why they did it. I can both acknowledge that they left an audience behind, and that they did so because it was more financially viable, and that's fine.

If someone wants to attach a feeling of betrayal to that description, well sure, that's kinda silly. But the term isn't inherently charged.

As some people have pointed out, it seems OP does have that feeling a bit, and has sort of hidden it, but it seems to come out a little in the things they say.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Sky is a hugely successful game in China. It has never dropped out of the top 30 in the last six months, reached top 3 several times. Since the main producer Chen is a Chinese descendant,it's easier for him to do business with Chinese company. Seen nothing wrong about that.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They "left their audience behind" because the indie space on Sony platforms is much different now that it was in the PS3 era. Indie devs frequently bounce around (see Supergiant's asssocation with Xbox, then playstation, then PC/Switch) because yes, the actual audience for indie games tends to move around, or own multiple platforms.

I'd wager a good chunk of Journey players are playing Sky. Low barrier to entry really.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
What they did is a separate conversation to why they did it. I can both acknowledge that they left an audience behind, and that they did so because it was more financially viable, and that's fine.

If someone wants to attach a feeling of betrayal to that description, well sure, that's kinda silly. But the term isn't inherently charged.

Then lets frame it this way. Sony "left them behind" by not creating a good enough financial incentive for them to continue putting their games out solely on that platform. So they choose to expand to different platforms and expand their audience. So if we are going to toss out leaving people behind lets include all the people who left all the people behind since this is apparently a very important distinction to make.

Oct 27, 2017
Mobile games can also sort of be like tipping the creator.

Don't tip them if they betrayed you though, friends don't tip friends who betray each other. It's right there in the EULA for Journey

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Then lets frame it this way. Sony "left them behind" by not creating a good enough financial incentive for them to continue putting their games out solely on that platform. So they choose to expand to different platforms and expand their audience. So if we are going to toss out leaving people behind lets include all the people who left all the people behind since this is apparently a very important distinction to make.

Sony didn't move. This sounds like YOU feel emotionally about this situation and are trying to cast blame now, and I don't understand why that has to be in the conversation at all. Like, look. Maybe just, the space they were in wasn't where they needed to be, so they left. That's fine. There is no blame here.

Like, we can be accurate about what happened without it indicting thatgamecompany. Sony made a space, and invited thatgamecompany into that space. Thatgamecompany attempted to build something there, and while it was successful, it wasn't successful enough, so they left that space behind, because that's what they needed to do. You're still like, trying to tie "leave behind" to this idea of fault as if that is inherent, and it isn't; like...we don't need to ya know? It can be purely descriptive here.

The space they were wasn't good enough to support them, so they left it behind. That means leaving some audience behind, which sucks, but that's the way the world spins.

I don't know why you seem so caught on the idea of trying to tie "leave behind" to "at fault." Obviously there can be some negativity here, but like, negativity and downsides to a decision don't make that decision bad or the person making them a bad person. Thatgamecompany had to leave some of their audience behind. Sucks for the audience, but it was the right decision for thatgamecompany. We don't need to like, asign blame to thatgamecompany, or the audience, or sony. It is what it is.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Sky is a hugely successful game in China. It has never dropped out of the top 30 in the last six months, reached top 3 several times. Since the main producer Chen is a Chinese descendant,it's easier for him to do business with Chinese company. Seen nothing wrong about that.

It's likely that the audience for Sky is much larger than the previous audience of their games, so they likely aren't worried about "leaving anything behind" anyway as per the language used in this thread

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Sony didn't move. This sounds like YOU feel emotionally about this situation and are trying to cast blame now, and I don't understand why that has to be in the conversation at all. Like, look. Maybe just, the space they were in wasn't where they needed to be, so they left. That's fine. There is no blame here.

Like, we can be accurate about what happened without it indicting thatgamecompany. Sony made a space, and invited thatgamecompany into that space. Thatgamecompany attempted to build something there, and while it was successful, it wasn't successful enough, so they left that space behind, because that's what they needed to do. You're still like, trying to tie "leave behind" to this idea of fault as if that is inherent, and it isn't; like...we don't need to ya know? It can be purely descriptive here.

The space they were wasn't good enough to support them, so they left it behind. That means leaving some audience behind, which sucks, but that's the way the world spins.

I don't know why you seem so caught on the idea of trying to tie "leave behind" to "at fault." Obviously there can be some negativity here, but like, negativity and downsides to a decision don't make that decision bad or the person making them a bad person. Thatgamecompany had to leave some of their audience behind. Sucks for the audience, but it was the right decision for thatgamecompany. We don't need to like, asign blame to thatgamecompany, or the audience, or sony. It is what it is.
The basis of this thread is bullshit. It was from the first post. If you want to frame it as "leaving behind" whatever connotation you want to put on it, I think that's a dumb way to look at it. But you are entitled to it. And I'll leave it at that.

This thread was made because a console platform exclusive moved away from it being that, and the op wandered around trying to make some weird point to try to hide he wished they stayed a playstation exclusive without saying that. Actually just having that take from the jump would have been at least more honest. Still would have been a bad thread though.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they release the game on PC or consoles. I'd love to try it out.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Switch being the first platform they choose to port after mobile makes sense (besides PC) if you consider where indie games are currently thriving.

But it sounds like this is also a timed exclusive ? That definitely sucks for other platforms. Hopefully it's not much longer than 6 months.

Still as a Switch owner I can't wait to give it a spin as I'm pretty sure my phone wouldn't be able to run it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The basis of this thread is bullshit. It was from the first post. If you want to frame it as "leaving behind" whatever connotation you want to put on it, I think that's a dumb way to look at it. But you are entitled to it. And I'll leave it at that.

This thread was made because a console platform exclusive moved away from it being that, and the op wandered around trying to make some weird point to try to hide he wished they stayed a playstation exclusive without saying that. Actually just having that take from the jump would have been at least more honest. Still would have been a bad thread though.

It's bad because OP is acting like being left behind was some sort of betrayal, which is immature, but I'm trying to clarify because I feel like you're attacking the phrase in general, but there are a lot of people in this thread using it more reasonably, so I'm covering that that concept isn't the problem here. It's the feeling of betrayal that OP is describing. In that way we agree. I just don't agree with how you've chosen to cover it, because it's a bad argument against OP, and dismisses a lot of more reasonable opinions that exist in this thread.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine they took some good upfront money from Apple. As this thread/forum often shows, gamers can be incredibly fickle so putting your company's future solely in their hands and ignoring business deals that might help you keep the lights on might not always be the best idea for people actually trying to run a business, no matter how "noble" a vocal minority of message board gamers might think it is.

Yeah. I mean, refusing to try a f2p game just because it is f2p and not on the platform that allows one to play on a 65" screen, and saying that the company failed, when it in fact succeeded in keeping their employees paid, is just peak Gamers™.

All this thread does is reminding me that I need to go play Sky.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
As much as I loved Journey as a singular thing, the simple feel of playing it was so good that I wanted another game from them with similar mechanics, and Sky is... pretty much exactly what I wanted! I really need to get back to it, I played a few hours in a few scattered months during the beta but haven't gone back since 1.0.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember ever hearing of this new game. My phone is also not good enough to run it apparently, Google Play won't even let me install it 😢

Jun 15, 2020
That's another confusing aspect of NuThatgamecompany. Why bring it to Switch and not the PS4 which was the home of your previous games after Sony gave you a huge leg up in the industry with a 3 game deal for some unknown college students. PS4 has a larger install base as well if money is all they love.
It'll sell better on Switch.

You need to stop thinking of developers as loyal to console makers. Don't work that way.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I never said otherwise? You guys are reading into that things I didn't say.

But if someone tried to say that any sales problems were the player base from the first game's fault for not buying a Wii U that would be ridiculous. Not everyone has to play on every gaming platform under the sun.
Platinum also didn't abandon the playerbase by putting the game in Wii U, regardless of how many Bayonetta 1 fans missed out on it by not having a Wii U (or a Switch, for that matter).

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
You are the one moving the goal posts. So now I have to go buy cables to transfer the image to my TV (and then cobble them together with a third party controller). Basically, I need to construct a console piece by piece. How is that a reasonable expectation? Seems to me I would just be better off playing games on a console which is a pleasurable experience out of the box (without engaging in some kind of DIY experiment). Your argument is asinine.

Especially since this game is coming to a console... so why would I bother with any of this? I will just keep buying good games on consoles.
Most modern TVs have screen mirroring for android and ios. And I know for a fact dual shocks connect to mobile devices through Bluetooth. I believe newer Xbox controllers do as well. It's a pretty easy setup and doesn't require much, if any, third party accessories that a console or PC gamer doesn't likely have.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
User Banned (3 days): Antagonising other members
love watching this brazil guy have a meltdown over people having preferences

you work for the company or something guy

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Tried Sky. It is damn good and have quite active community. I've seen a lot of players when i'm playing it.

Man, its kinda obvious some user still stuck in early 2010.

One of the biggest game last year is Genshin Impact, a BOTW inspired game from mobile dev that so good it got ported into console.

Dev now even implement gyro or controller support for people who want precision.

No android or ios? Install bluestacks to play them on pc.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Lol @ how much of this thread are just people mad at being called the fuck out by Brazil in the first post.

But yeah, weird premise for a thread. What happened to them? They're doing what they've been doing for the last 10 years.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This thread reminded me I really need to check out Sky at some point. Remember hearing in passing they made a mobile game, but kind of slipped my mind until now.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread, I decided to check out Sky on my iPhone 12 and it's... freakin' amazing and relaxing. After getting my ass kicked in Nioh 2 and Risk of Rain 2, this is the perfect game for me to unwind on.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Rocket League and Fall Guys both made it big because of Playstation Plus.
Sony stopped promoting indie games as heavily as they once did. There's a lot of data that switch owners buy way more indie games than other systems. I'd argue the portable nature of the system makes buying indie games on it more appealing. Considering how long it took them just to get the game out on only the iPhone first it's no wonder they chose the switch first and will probably release on other consoles later. Sure we might not like it if you're looking for the best of the best graphics but there's nothing that can be done about it, so no use getting upset.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum also didn't abandon the playerbase by putting the game in Wii U, regardless of how many Bayonetta 1 fans missed out on it by not having a Wii U (or a Switch, for that matter).

Now you are just being pedantic. Nintendo funding the Bayonetta 2 was absolutely the only way it was ever happening, but the franchise also left the player base behind. Especially since it was on the Wii U which was a huge flop by any metric. To be clear there was no way it couldn't leave the player base behind given how it happened, but left behind they were. No reasonable person expected fans to buy a Wii U just to play Bayonetta 2. Just as no reasonable person expects fans to buy a new smart phone just to play Sky.

Last edited:

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Details on this bankruptcy you speak of? Their first three games were all funded by Sony. What happened to them after that? Did Sony not offer to publish their next game or did they choose to go off on their own? What was the project? What happened to it?
www.destructoid.com

Journey took thatgamecompany into bankruptcy

Went one year over budget Jenova Chen’s D.I.C.E. Summit talk on my favorite game of last year, Journey, was moving...

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ how much of this thread are just people mad at being called the fuck out by Brazil in the first post.

But yeah, weird premise for a thread. What happened to them? They're doing what they've been doing for the last 10 years.

I'm not mad at him for "calling me out." I'm annoyed at him for his superior attitude that completely disrespects and misunderstands people he's trying to describe. It's asshat behavior.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I really want to play Sky.
One day I'll have a phone good enough to play it. Pretty sure my iPhone7 would struggle with it.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yeah he derailed the thread immediately with that ridiculously antagonistic stuff. Would get banned for that in any thread for PS/Xbox.

The thread kind of started off in an antagonistic way, it would be like making a thread asking "what happened to Insomniac, they haven't done anything since Sunset Overdrive", or some other thing when you can easily look up on Google what a particular company/development team has made.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
lol at everyone interpreting Brazil's "scared" so literally. It's obvious they meant "highly adverse" or smth like that, which based on the responses in this thread seems on the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.