scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see the big dea other than its Trump and that usually is reason enough to hate it. Germany was wanting to do the same thing. Just because its German company doesnt mean its beholden to Germany in all things. When vaccines and medications are a commodity this is what happens.

You don't see a problem with Trump using a critical vaccine for leverage and negotiating deals with other countries? Because that's what would happen.

Even more horrifying is the potential for the flip-side of this equation. Withholding foreign vaccines to support one made to support a US company.

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the story is real or CureVac just wants to raise its value.

I'm going to stay VERY skeptical on this for this exact reason. An "anonymous government source" sounds like "a random dude who had a scoop and wanted a payday". Show me the receipts because this seems too fucked up to be true and I super don't want it to be...

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
OK when will the other countries classify America as a threat to global peace? Because it is.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine all the beautiful deals you can make when you are holding a vaccine like this hostage.

Clearly we need someone to get the vaccine before he can do this.

RawGiddyCrustacean-size_restricted.gif

Jun 1, 2018
Why they would do that?

There is quite a lot of smelly news going around COVID-19.

I don't see how this will benefit the us.
In the United States, a primary stumbling block to widespread testing has been the stubborn decision by the CDC to stick to its own, flawed testing methods. CDC rolled out a coronavirus test in February, out only to discover a problem with one of the reagents critical to the test's reliability. Yet as the CDC has scrambled to fix its test, another functioning test has been available. WHO has successfully provided a competing German-developed test to countries across the world, allowing them to better trace the spread of the virus — not only confirming cases in obviously sick patients, but tracking down contacts who may have a mild form of the illness but can still spread it to others.

We developed the test here in germany, however USA didnt want it because they want to OWN stuff and sell it for more -> profit. Thats why they want to develop vaccine first, so they can sell it to other countries for lot of money AFTER they heal americans.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dont see the big dea other than its Trump and that usually is reason enough to hate it. Germany was wanting to do the same thing. Just because its German company doesnt mean its beholden to Germany in all things. When vaccines and medications are a commodity this is what happens.

What are you even talking about? Germany as well as the German company were never planning to keep a potential vaccine for themselves, they are committed to share it with the rest of the world. Trump however wanted it quote: "Exlusively for the US"

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly couldn't imagine the US doing this but Trump does go beyond the bottom of the barrel every time to my amazement and disgust so fuck him.

Oct 28, 2017
What are you even talking about? Germany as well as the German company were never planning to keep a potential vaccine for themselves, they are committed to share it with the rest of the world. Trump however wanted it quote: "Exlusively for the US"

Yes, they are. It says exactly that in the article. The source, which is an anonymous German government official, says Trump wants exclusive rights to the vaccine. Germany is offering it's own incentives to keep it in germany and to manufacture ($$$$$$) in Europe.

They're both wanting to do the same thing. Secure rights so they can manufacture and sell the vaccine.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
And as a side note, the former CEO of CureVax was fired just a couple days after the White House meeting with the Pharma industry. There are rumors the board of Directors was not very happy with his performance regarding begging for investment money. This company might just be a typical fraud like Theranos and many others in the business.

Interesting...

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gott sei Dank fĂĽr Artikel 14 & 15 GG

did the stupid fuck and none of his advisers not even know about this? it's futile. it will never happen. and just further exposes USA administration
trump has struggle to understand the US constitution. give him a break how would he able to understand the german one.

also trump might simply announce sanctions against germany if they dare to anything against his will.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This has hit german mainstream evening news. Relations gonna be even worse with this

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they are. It says exactly that in the article. The source, which is an anonymous German government official, says Trump wants exclusive rights to the vaccine. Germany is offering it's own incentives to keep it in germany and to manufacture ($$$$$$) in Europe.

They're both wanting to do the same thing. Secure rights so they can manufacture and sell the vaccine.

Wrong. The German government and the company (they sacked the CEO who wanted to make the deal with Trump) stated that they want to keep developing the vaccine in Germany and Europe and develop it for the whole world. The company recently put out this statement:

"Wir wollen einen Impfstoff für die ganze Welt entwickeln und nicht für einzelne Staaten", sagte Geschäftsführer und Mitbegründer der dievini Hopp BioTech Holding, Christof Hettich, dem "Mannheimer Morgen".

Translated:
"We want to develop a vaccine for the entire world and not for single states."

Source:
https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/baden...corona-impfstoff-von-tuebinger-firma-100.html

The German government was merely fighting the US takeover.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I'm going to stay VERY skeptical on this for this exact reason. An "anonymous government source" sounds like "a random dude who had a scoop and wanted a payday". Show me the receipts because this seems too fucked up to be true and I super don't want it to be...

The German ministry of health confirmed the story. Several high profile politicians spoke out about it.
And the owners and other investors of the company made clear that they are not open to the US offer.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero confidence that when a vaccine is produced it won't be exorbitantly priced.

Even if we look at it in a very negative light, presuming the worst about a profit-driven medical infrastructure, markets need people to work for them and people to spend money. It is in everyone's best interest to get through this as quickly as possible and saving as many people as possible.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Even if we look at it in a very negative light, presuming the worst about a profit-driven medical infrastructure, markets need people to work for them and people to spend money. It is in everyone's best interest to get through this as quickly as possible and saving as many people as possible.

That's true, but so far it's become pretty clear that both corporations and US government aren't willing to sacrifice short-term profit even if it will impact them negatively in the long term.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The German ministry of health confirmed the story. Several high profile politicians spoke out about it.
And the owners and other investors of the company made clear that they are not open to the US offer.

Well fuck me.

I don't understand why anyone would be actively for a vaccine that isn't for the entire world. This is a WORLDLY problem, not a national one.

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
This better be the media trying to spread false information to get clicks.

Because I swear to god if this shit is true...

I am EMBARRASSED to be an American. Seriously fuck those asshats sitting in positions of power.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Seehofer just confirmed it and theyll discuss the matter tomorrow during a government meeting.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Withholding a vaccine for a pandemic imo should be something somebody should be dragged onto streets and beaten out of. A few people getting there head kicked in vs thousands of life saved, yeah no sympathy here.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Seems Hopp (founder of SAP) was the main force to fire the CEO and use the research for a worldwide use.

Always funny when real billionaire piss Trump off.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This better be the media trying to spread false information to get clicks.

Because I swear to god if this shit is true...

I am EMBARRASSED to be an American. Seriously fuck those asshats sitting in positions of power.

It is true. German minister of interior just spoke about it in a press conference. The issue will be discussed again in the government tomorrow. This attempt will not be forgotten. But I don't blame you for it. Just please make sure to get rid of this guy in November for me :)

Americans usually don't notice as much but German public opinion polls on America have been disastrous for a long time now. I fear the relationship is now at an all-time low.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think I'm capable of believing this is real. My brain just can't process it. I thought the same thing when I heard about children in cages, and we saw how that turned out

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Utterly disgusting. Americans should feel ashamed.

Someone on Reddit asked why the hell US needs vaccine on exclusive basis and the reply was:
"To use first on wealthy Americans, than maybe on those Americans that can afford it and resell to other countries for millions. Trump thinks it's all business."