• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
They of course don't say it but,

1peo0mSvCsuDTG-NkgbcU3CMks.jpg

CElTcUk_d.webp

The gay energy in these images alone is off the charts. Not to mention all of the FFVIII Squall and Rinoa parallels. They will never actually say it probably, but denying it would be disingenuous imo. I think it's cute. I'm glad they didn't kill Gaia off or something.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
they're holding hands like friends do

they're just friends, stop reading into it

they are very gay, though it is disappointing they won't just outright admit it since they've got a few canon gay pairings in the supporting characters

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares when it's just lame queer baiting bullshit. That shit would be interesting 15 years ago maybe, now it just seems like ship bait and cowardice.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Aha, I never made the connection with the rainbow tower and I even stopped to screenshot that lol

They're totally a couple and they're really cute! I loved Ryne in Shadowbringers main story and I liked Gaia, but she's super good in 5.4. Just a big sweetheart.

She's also Nomura's best design in many years and I say that as someone that generally likes his art.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Wow, I read the thread title all wrong and thought it was a bit problematic lol.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue why I didn't pick up on this. Also not sure why just don't come out and make them a couple of that was the intent. It's 2021 not 2001 lol.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, very much so. Hopefully that festival is kind of a Shadowbringers wrap up and they confirm it there.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
there's direct parallels in the Eden story to Squall and Rinoa, who are possibly the most canon couple before Tidus and Yuna

so yeah, they gay

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's open to interpretation but I think a lot of things people point out to as absolute proof (holding hands) ignores that such a thing can be common within female friendships, too.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
They gay.

I'm hoping we get confirmation, like a kiss or something, from the inevitable Eden/The First send off festival. I kind of feel they made it "ambiguous" so if it was received negatively they can walk back the Squall/Rinoa references and hand holding, and pure love stuff as "they are just super good friends, honest!" but if received well (like it seems to have been) they can go ahead with confirmation at the festival.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
ahh just read the summary on the wiki. So she is an actual reincarnation and not just body hopping.

Correct.

There's likely other "Ascians" on the other shards who are unaware of their existence as an Asican. It's why if one "dies" they can technically awaken another shard of that Asican elsewhere. They'll never be complete tho.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
ahh just read the summary on the wiki. So she is an actual reincarnation and not just body hopping.

Yeah. She's a sundered reincarnation of Loghrif. She and Mitron were the Ascians that Ardbet's group killed right before they caused the flood of light.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
No. Gaia is a teenager, too. She was born and raised in Eulmore.

No. She was Artemis' lover in the past. She's a reincarnation of Gaia. She held the seat of Loghrif on the Convocation.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I don't think reincarnation has been a thing in the game till now.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Gaia would be bi but yeah, I'd definitely have read their relationship as girl crushes figuring that out, even before they directly mimicked some of the biggest moments of Squall and Rinoa.

If I were to guess why they didn't make the subtext text, I'd probably think it was issues with the markets that the game is in (I'm thinking China specifically) where the side content minor characters who are explicitly gay could easily have their dialogue edited, with it being only text, an actual voiced scene might cause trouble. Both of the girls being teenagers/underage also might be part of it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue why I didn't pick up on this. Also not sure why just don't come out and make them a couple of that was the intent. It's 2021 not 2001 lol.

I don't even think this is an issue of them not wanting to show an LGBT relationship. Feels like none of the big named characters have explicit romantic relationships, and I assume it's just continuing off that trend presumably in a way to make the cast feel "available" to the player.

Gaia and Ryne are definitely a thing tho.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I don't think reincarnation has been a thing in the game till now.

I think (I don't think they've given a true explanation yet) how reincarnation works in the world (like actually works, not necessarily how that one Au Ra Tribe believes) is that if say...

Joe dies, his soul will be reincarnated. But they won't remember Joe's life, but they will technically still hold, deep deep deep down memories of when they were "complete". Or in the case of Gaia remembering her time as an Ascian, which is still more "complete" than others.

I'd say Gaia would be bi but yeah, I'd definitely have read their relationship as girl crushes figuring that out, even before they directly mimicked some of the biggest moments of Squall and Rinoa.

If I were to guess why they didn't make the subtext text, I'd probably think it was issues with the markets that the game is in (I'm thinking China specifically) where the side content minor characters who are explicitly gay could easily have their dialogue edited, with it being only text, an actual voiced scene might cause trouble. Both of the girls being teenagers/underage also might be part of it.

Shit, I hadn't even considered that. Might be a little of column A and column B.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Which side characters are gay? Aymeric and Haurchefant can be but that depends on the WoL's gender.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Which side characters are gay? Aymeric and Haurchefant can be but that depends on the WoL's gender.
Alisaie definitely has a crush on the WoL but it might just be a childish one, not really clear. Also depends on your WoL's gender

G'raha Tia seems more like you're just his best friend and his hero, but you could read it as a crush if you want I guess

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares when it's just lame queer baiting bullshit. That shit would be interesting 15 years ago maybe, now it just seems like ship bait and cowardice.
I mean, kind of, but that's how XIV treats all its relationships - with kid gloves. Thancred couldn't even give Ryne a hug when he was never going to see her again. That fucked me up.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, kind of, but that's how XIV treats all its relationships - with kid gloves. Thancred couldn't even give Ryne a hug when he was never going to see her again. That fucked me up.
Well, a lot of that is probably tech related. Getting characters to physically interact is hard in this engine lol.

Funny enough, the only actual hug I can remember in this game is with Ryne and Gaia.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Alisaie definitely has a crush on the WoL but it might just be a childish one, not really clear. Also depends on your WoL's gender

G'raha Tia seems more like you're just his best friend and his hero, but you could read it as a crush if you want I guess
Everyone is horny for the WoL though. I was wondering if there were any side characters that are actually canonically gay. I don't think anyone with a crush on the WoL really counts since it all depends on what you made your character.

Lol that shit annoyed the hell out of me. Like damn dude. Just give her a fucking hug. They have the technology too. Lyse gave Alisaie a hug once.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Well, a lot of that is probably tech related. Getting characters to physically interact is hard in this engine lol.

Funny enough, the only actual hug I can remember in this game is with Ryne and Gaia.

there is definitely a hug in Stormblood in the Ruby Sea because I remember saying "holy shit" out loud when it happened instead of the normal "characters sprint at full speed towards each other then stop like three feet apart"

Edit: just looked it up. The hug is between Lyse and Alisaie