Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No question about it? I can't imagine a first person game coming out with those tanky controls from the first few games nowadays. No more having to stop to look around BS. The Joycons mean at the very least they'll have to consider pointer controls in some capacity, and if that's the case they'd have to give us some sort of alternative to handheld mode.

On top of everything great about Metroid Prime I hope we get a decent combat system out of it. I could see a "light" lock on system being included to make moving and fighting easier but I don't even thing it's necessary when you look at how heavily shooters and first person adventure games incorporate movement nowadays.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I would think it should have a few options

Dual analog, Gyro, and maybe some other hybrid option

lock on is a staple... I'd expect that as an option as well

the one thing about gyro that is better than pointer is I feel it's more accurate... The one thing that's bad... I feel like I can't play split joycon mode because the right stick is in the worst spot. For games like this I wish the sticks were both up top.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I think it's likely, but I definitely could see it still using similar controls as the two Gamecube games. I agree that just because it's named Prime 4, it shouldn't have to adhere strictly to the control and gameplay legacies of the first games.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely want the game to be able to switch between classic GC-like controls or Gyro Trilogy-like controls.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. Hopefully.

But, Gyro Aiming is faaaaar more crucial for me. I know they're not FPS/FPExploration, but BotW/Splatoon have ruined me.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You never know, but that would be my assumption. Hopefully there is also gyro assistance.

I actually prefer the original controls though. It's slower and more methodical which I feel fits the game more than a control scheme that favors high paced action.

0MAR10

Oct 27, 2017
Louisiana
How on earth are we supposed to know or even guess this at this point ? At least name the thread something along the lines of "Metroid prime 4 should have the option to have twin stick controls"

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Joycons make typical first person controls impossible imo due to the horrible right stick placement.

Luckily the Pro Controller is awesome.

What interests me way more is if it will be 60fps again!

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm thinking dual stick normally with gyro being enabled after locking on. Or if lock on is ditched completely, dual stick with constant gyro.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I sincerely hope to god that it gives an option to have the classic prime controls because the draw of a Metroid Prime is not aiming but the flow and pacing of traversal. If I have to focus on aiming like any other FPS out there then I don't have much reason to be interested in the game.

Couldn't even get into Metroid Prime Trilogy considering how much of a downgrade motion control aiming is to a gamecube controller.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely hope to god that it gives an option to have the classic prime controls because the draw of a Metroid Prime is not aiming but the flow and pacing of traversal. If I have to focus on aiming like any other FPS out there then I don't have much reason to be interested in the game.

Couldn't even get into Metroid Prime Trilogy considering how much of a downgrade motion control aiming is to a gamecube controller.
Oof I disagree. Wii controls are best.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
More than anything else I'm hoping for the godlike motion controls from Prime 3 and the trilogy.

Its not a traditional fps anyway, but motion controls in fps games are my absolute favourite way to control them. I finished Wolfenstien 2 on the hardest difficulty using them on switch. So good.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yeah, I hope so. I dug out my GameCube disks when I bought a Wavebird a couple months ago. I had forgotten how janky the control scheme was. The trilogy having pointer controls throughout was a blessing when they re-released the first two for Wii.

Need twin stick, or at minimum motion controls.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Frankly, I'm just hoping that they don't go too buck wild with awful gyro functionality that can't be turned off. There's good stuff that you can do with gyro controls in a first person game... there's also a lot of bad shit you could do too.

EDIT: Ugh, the morph ball is going to be motion controlled, isn't it?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Prime trilogy motion controls was one of the only instances where I felt the Wii waggle shit actually really enhanced the experience of a game.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Of course lol

The old control scheme will maybe be an option. Also there will be gyro support for sure.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prime trilogy motion controls was one of the only instances where I felt the Wii waggle shit actually really enhanced the experience of a game.
It was really smooth and easy to get used to. Definitely one of the few cases where the wiimote actually took a game's control scheme to the next level.

Going back to regular twin stick controls would feel weird.

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
I made a thread about this months ago! Almost certainly, with optional gyro and motion controls.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The dream scenario is having pointer controls with combat designed around them, as opposed to the situation of Prime Trilogy where enabling a superior control scheme, while fun, allowed you to be more precise and agile i.e. raising the ceiling for what the player can do but they didn't scale enemies with it so it ends up being an easy mode of sorts. This won't happen though since gaming is not about fine-tuned gameplay experiences anymore, they would probably design the game around twin sticks and enable optional control methods but like I said that's not satisfying. That would be like the scenario of TP releasing after SS where it's like "oh yeah, Zelda still has motion controls for swordplay!" but the game is clearly not built around them like the predecessor, rendering the option pointless.

I would settle for a Prime Trilogy HD release and let them do whatever they want to with Prime 4 (i.e. Modernize it), but the thing is the scheme demands IR based technology, which the Switch doesn't offer... fuck. At least the Galaxy games would still function well despite having gyro, so give me those two games in HD pls

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. Nintendo seems to have sort of a love-hate relationship with Metroid and its fans. So, maybe they'll try to force something on us. Like touch screen/gyro combo, only. Or some kind of Labo contraption. Maybe you can only play with some sort of amiibo contraption. You know, the kind of stuff long term fans of the series will really love.

Honestly, not a fan of the wii controls. I get why they did it, but it really turned me off of the prime trilogy, although I played through three upon its initial release.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Prime 3 and the Trilogy release basically has that? With motion controls instead of a right analog of course, but still. So yes I do think Prime 4 is going to have a twin stick controls option.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like multiple options, please. Whilst I liked the Wii's pointer controls, I didn't mind the OG GameCube controls at all. In fact, I quite like them.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't even know how the game will be so it's kind of difficult to see what will happen but the different options are good and I hope they will be there.

I don't know. Nintendo seems to have sort of a love-hate relationship with Metroid and its fans. So, maybe they'll try to force something on us. Like touch screen/gyro combo, only. Or some kind of Labo contraption. Maybe you can only play with some sort of amiibo contraption. You know, the kind of stuff long term fans of the series will really love.

Honestly, not a fan of the wii controls. I get why they did it, but it really turned me off of the prime trilogy, although I played through three upon its initial release.

Nintendo isn't developing MP4 so that design is kind of irrelevant from it's production and development standpoint into Tanabe and the developers and this post is really stupid in what it's trying to say.

It's Nintendo. Absolutely no guarantees

Nintendo is a company. Different producers and directors on projects have different ideas around a game and that same can be applied to Tanabe and whoever will be the director

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because being able to lock-on while moving is a better proposition that is much faster and requires much less effort and doesn't break the game design of the first two games. The focus is not on aiming, it is on moving.

And it's identical to the GameCube games once you're locked on in prime 1/2. You just have to set the option to keeping the target in the centre.

It's superior any time you're not locked on in combat, which is a lot of the time, and identical the rest of the time. It's easier to actually point at and lock on to a target in the Wii versions too because you don't need to stand still like an idiot while you try and aim.

Oct 25, 2017
NC

What the fuck?! The metroid prime trilogy controls is the reason I was able to even enjoy it.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I still remember that the final boss in Prime 2 was broken in the trilogy because aiming at the tentacles sucked for some reason. Like it made everything way harder than it needed to be. I really hope Prime 4 comes with more than 1 control scheme because I don't want to use the motion controls. The IR pointer controls in Prime 3 were good, but the Switch doesn't have a sensor bar and would have to use gyro aiming which I absolutely hate.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And it's identical to the GameCube games once you're locked on in prime 1/2. You just have to set the option to keeping the target in the centre.

It's superior any time you're not locked on in combat, which is a lot of the time, and identical the rest of the time. It's easier to actually point at and lock on to a target in the Wii versions too because you don't need to stand still like an idiot while you try and aim.

I played both versions and it's not, playing with a gamecube controller is night and day. The flow of movement that is able to be had with a controller shows how much the games were fine-tuned for them. Gotta give credits where it's due, every part of Prime 1&2 were designed with the free-flowing movement that it allowed without any need for aiming. I wouldn't call it superior in any way.

What the fuck?! The metroid prime trilogy controls is the reason I was able to even enjoy it.

Well the GCN controller was the only reason i was able to enjoy it. Not sure how it is blasphemy that i'm commending the work that retro studios has put into the original game. It's better with a classic controller for me.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they rip the doom controls and gameplay speed for the action portions to make up for the lack of pointer controls.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Won't work. It's going to be a Labo VR game where you construct your own visor and arm cannon. No room for twinstick controls, but you get to color your visor/arm cannon any way you want!

Last edited: