• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this looks terrible

steve carrel is great but this looks closer to dinner for shmucks than any of his serious roles

May 5, 2018
There is truly no way the movie can succeed. It has everything working against it. It's funny to me that Zemeckis finally figured out he can fight the shiny dead plastic look of his motion capture movies by making them be toys.

There's a story there to tell but this ain't it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame.

I'll just add to the chorus of watch Marwencol if you haven't. Looks like it might be free on Prime if you do one of their sign up and cancel type deals? Worth it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Zemeckis has had such a strange and uneven career.
Last film of his I enjoyed was Beowulf -mostly due to Silvestri's score- and even then, I remember the audience in the theater just not being into that film AT ALL, heh.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I could've sworn that I saw trailers for this way earlier in the year, or even last year. Did this get pushed back to this Christmas or something?

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I'm certain it will. The studio is going to regret not pushing this release to January.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I enjoyed the first trailer. Then I saw more and more media and it became heavily apparent that they are in no way giving this story the thought that it requires. It looks like a completely corny feel-good drama instead of a story of incredibly rehabilitation in the face of a terrible crime.

The fact that they so very obviously cast Steve Carrell as the "funny disabled dude that makes dolls" is insulting as fuck.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not sure what the studio has as expectations but I see this about 14 million opening weekend. Not sure if that is a bomb or not but I dont think it will fare well.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer in the OP made me want to watch the movie. Looks really interesting.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the first trailer. Then I saw more and more media and it became heavily apparent that they are in no way giving this story the thought that it requires. It looks like a completely corny feel-good drama instead of a story of incredibly rehabilitation in the face of a terrible crime.

The fact that they so very obviously cast Steve Carrell as the "funny disabled dude that makes dolls" is insulting as fuck.

I think that's a reach about Steve Carell, He's an accomplished actor and I can see why he could bring the earnest innocence that they want from the tone. That said, the movie looks shit and I am concerned with the attention it will bring to a guy who is supposedly uncomfortable with it.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Though, admittedly, I'm glad this shitty movie was made, otherwise I might have never heard about the documentary it's based on.

jesus christ bob

i just watched Marwencol over the weekend, i'll just stick with that, it was great

Yeah Marwencol is incredibly powerful. Maybe there's a way to tell its story through a dramatic film, but it seemed unnecessary. At least some people will become aware of and seek out the documentary.

Our

Our pain is our rocket fuel

Hollywood taking a story and not actually including the interesting aspects of said story/events is so typical. Plus the added thick layer of stale schmaltz, bleh.

R8dJt1S.png

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Knowing some of the throughlines in the work Zemeckis directs you'd half expect the real life version of Carrell's character to be a black dude

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. Another bomb or two and Zemeckis will have to allow a new BTTF to be made. Just to pay the mortgage.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just remember seeing the trailer in the theater and hearing many audible "that looks awful/what is that/nah I'm good"