• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
The void
IMO, he threw out second chances when he plagiarized like a dozen times, if not more. It's like fucking up 12 times and then saying he deserves a second chance. Maybe if he plagiarized one time he would deserve a second chance. But I don't think he does after being a repeat offender. If he didn't get caught, he would still be doing it.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Now I know why some people call Resetera a Hate Group. People here love to hate (ha) everything.

It is ok to not like him, to not want to watch this videos, but denying him a second chance? Are you perfect? Do you never did something wrong? Plagiarism is not the only wrong thing in the world.

I feel ashamed of the lack of humanity in some people here.

I do not usually watch north-american videos, but just because of some people in this page, I watched his video and even clicked in the ads. =P

I actually agree with you that the hostility has gone way overboard with all of this, and that everyone deserves a second chance, but his lack of ownership over his fuck-up is part of what's keeping all this hate going and that's what's going to hurt him in the long run. He really should just admit it and move on, that refusal to do so probably has a big part in all this.

Personally, I think him losing his very good job and respect has been punishment enough, especially since he's never going to have the credibility he had before, and everything he does going forward will be sifted with a fine comb by the internet. I can't disagree though that all the people decrying him having a second chance is starting to seem kinda petty at this point.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Did he have credibility before, though? I don't think he's ever said or done anything that's the least bit interesting... like, even the opinions he stole from other people were completely generic, uninformed pap that never should have brought him any degree of success.

The dude himself is boring, it's the conversation surrounding his IGN gig and how both professionals and laymen seem completely inured to the mediocrity of the games press that's interesting, and a lot of what's being perceived as hostility could more accurately be described as exasperation at the idea that he might plausibly be able to resume doing the same ol' shit.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
LOL at the talk of a "second" chance. Dude had that chance, and instead of taking it, he talked some shit to an actual journalist and made things about a million times worse. Why would anyone listen to anything he has to say at this point?

Handyandy58

Oct 31, 2017
There is nothing even approaching an apology in that video.

ETA: Even if you don't think he owes readers an apology, he definitely owes the people whose writing he plagiarized a formal apology. And it absolutely needs to be public if he expects anyone to give him even the slightest bit of attention in games in the future.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If you're seeing someone and they get drunk and make out with another person, but they fess up to it and ask for forgiveness, I can see giving them a second chance.

If you're seeing someone and you walk in on them in the act of sleeping with someone else, but when you confront them about it they deny it and accuse you of just creating drama and outright dare you to find any other instances of them cheating on you, so you look into it and find a definite pattern of purposeful and fully-intentioned cheating on you that spans several years, that's the time to get out of that relationship.

Now they're coming back two months later and being all "boy, we had our ups and downs, hey?"

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People in here talking about second chances for someone who got caught and then dared others to find any other works of plagiarism when it turned out everything was plagiarized.

And at that had such a profound lack of understanding about the medium he wrote for that he couldn't even understand why a game with the most popular video game company containing all of its characters together could be interesting to people. Defense force for literally everything.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Why his apology felt like a non-apology. You could say sorry 100 times and cry your eyes out, but if you don't flat out admit what you did wrong, it just won't come off as a proper apology I think. Yeah it's really hard to come out and say you plaglarise, and list all individuals and journalists you stole work from, but that's what you have to do to attempt starting from ground up again and to try regaining people's trust.

You don't just say, "sorry I've learnt my lesson, i love what i do and i promise the channel will be better than before. anyway here's a new video!"

You say, "Sorry, it's true I plagiarized many of my past work. Sorry to IGN, Boomstick Gaming, Jason, and all other sites I stole work from."

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
He hid his likes/dislikes.
A clear indicator that not only has he NOT learned anything from this, he's also learning some of the wrong lessons as well. I don't expect him to get better. (And I wonder if this new video really is his work...)

I'm kind of impressed by how shameless this guy is.
It's more than that. A guy who has a dream job yet does nothing but plagiarize, then makes a monetized non-apology when he's fired, says/does nothing while the internet finds countless more examples of his plagiarism, then finally comes out with another monetized video where he makes an even more half-assed non-apology and proceeds like everything's normal now...

There's a limit to how shameless someone can get before they go full-blown sociopath. IMO, Miucin crossed that line a long time ago.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Finally, something we can all agree on.

Does he offer perspective or insight others cannot or do not?

You all know what we have to do.

Finally something we can all agree with. Just wondering does he offer any perspective or insight that other people cant or dont? Well in any case we all know what we have to do.

Thread meme?

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
jesus...some of the comments on youtube

people are like
R1gvjPLTl5pb8FszS4YKEywckAI=.gif

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The video is basically a Best Buy advertorial you'd see in a movie theatre pre-show.

What sort of people were starving for this "content"?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
He deleted my comment about calling him out on hiding his apology in the comment section like a coward.

He is deleting comments and just wants to keep the comments section open purely so he can say to everyone SEE I APOLOGIZED when they ask.

You're right, he's deleting his own comments too.

Speaking for my own comment, the thing to do with Filip Miucin is to find out where the original source of his video content came from.

For everyone else you tagged they are plagiarising each other.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Wow Cowardly to hide the like and dislike results on the video. So cowardly. That tells me he can't take criticism.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Uh.. are people really saying he should be given a second chance?

You don't get caught actively poisoning food in Hell's Kitchen on live television have your long history of poisoning food brought to light get blacklisted to oblivion, botch your first apology without admitting what you're sorry for and then open up your own restaurant 2 months later, saying "I'm sorry" again in as just as shallow a way as the first time.

He's done. That's not how getting caught plagiarising works, he says he wants to continue doing what he loves, but what exactly does he like doing if nothing he's ever done has been his own original work?

He had his second chance when he made the first nonpology video and even now he doesn't own up to it, he deserves every modicum of scrutiny that's come his way and it's for the best if he just moves to a different industry that doesn't require journalistic integrity.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
IMO, he threw out second chances when he plagiarized like a dozen times, if not more. It's like fucking up 12 times and then saying he deserves a second chance. Maybe if he plagiarized one time he would deserve a second chance. But I don't think he does after being a repeat offender. If he didn't get caught, he would still be doing it.

I fully agree. The amount of times he did it basically disqualifies him from ever working in this industry again as far as I am concerned. Pile on top of that the fact that he still refuses to admit to what he did and apologize for it and I am just at a loss.

Even things he does in this video prove that he has learned nothing and that the only thing he is sorry for is getting caught. He doesn't admit to what he did or apologize for it. He tries to downplay the severity of what happened. He removed the ability for people to see the like/dislike ratio so, once again, he is trying to hide what he did and is not owning up to it. I will not be surprised, given the overwhelmingly negative nature of the comments, if he disables the comments section on this video shortly.

Nov 27, 2017
My two cents.

I'd personally believe Filip could make a return if he did all of the following:
  • Create a formal and sincere apology
  • Produce a video sharing original sources of plagiarized content
  • Share links at the top of each video description of the original sources where he plagiarized someone
  • Forward partial or total ad revenue and income to the original creators
  • If he chooses to earn revenue from his latest videos dedicate that income to a charity
However from what I can tell he has done none of this. I don't understand how some other creators have been willing to forgive so incredibly easily. I don't want to pile up on the guy and I have no right to condemn him from ever creating again. In the times I've spoke to him he seemed like a nice person, but his actions are impossible to look past. He stole from our peers in this community several times.

I believe we should really focus on the thoughts and work of the plagiarized individuals. The bandwidth and attention given to Filip would be better spent on the folks who's work catapulted him to fame.

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
My two cents.

I'd personally believe Filip could make a return if he did all of the following:
  • Share links at the top of each video description of the original sources where he plagiarized someone
  • If he chooses to earn revenue from his latest videos dedicate that income to a charity
However from what I can tell he has done none of this. I don't understand how some other creators have been willing to forgive so incredibly easily. I don't want to pile up on the guy and I have no right to condemn him from ever creating again. In the times I've spoke to him he seemed like a nice person, but his actions are impossible to look past. He stole from our peers in this community several times.

I believe we should really focus on the thoughts and work of the plagiarized individuals. The bandwidth and attention given to Filip would be better spent on the folks who's work catapulted him to fame.
After two false apology attempts, there's no coming back from this for me.

Fieran

Oct 29, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I feel like a lot of people saying give him a second chance don't realise that one of the single, biggest mistakes you can make in journalism, of any subject matter, is plagarism. Its pretty much one of the biggest 'crimes' you can commit in that industry, especially on the scale this guy did it.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
He's a terrible person and I really don't wish the best for him. I highly doubt he'll be successful in the long run.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
If he does any one of those things, I'll eat my shoe. (Both shoes if it's one of the latter two points.)

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a lot of people saying give him a second chance don't realise that one of the single, biggest mistakes you can make in journalism, of any subject matter, is plagarism. Its pretty much one of the biggest 'crimes' you can commit in that industry, especially on the scale this guy did it.

It's especially telling from the people who say "it's not like you've never made a mistake!" It's the kind of mistake you're not supposed to come back from, like operating on the wrong leg or doing something that gets you disbarred. There are certain lines in every profession that once you cross them, you don't get to come back. This is the one for journalism.

The "forgiveness no matter what" people are either super naive, or they're all engineers who have had a bridge collapse.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Is it because he's a 'gamer' that y'all want to defend this fucking moron? Any other writer or journalist would have been fired and blacklisted on the spot if they had plagiarized 1 sentence let alone numerous articles. He had his chance, he was wrongfully given a second chance to explain his actions and used it to double down, and now you people want to give him a 3rd and possibly a 4th chance?

NO. The hell is wrong with some of you?

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Bad look making yet another apology attached to a review of something. Even worse that he's monetizing.

Whether you think this guy deserves another chance or not, he sure is a master at shooting himself in the foot when it comes to establishing good faith.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
He deleted my comment about calling him out on hiding his apology in the comment section like a coward.

He is deleting comments and just wants to keep the comments section open purely so he can say to everyone SEE I APOLOGIZED when they ask.

We should give him a second chance and wait to hear his explanation on why he deleted his comments. BTW did I mention I will accept any apology from him because I was also such a fuck up and in all honesty haven't we all screwed up in life. Everyone here acting all high and mighty like they never stole work from their peers and never once acknowledge your wrongdoing. Bunch of hypocrites I tell you.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
We should give him a second chance and wait to hear his explanation on why he deleted his comments. BTW did I mention I will accept any apology from him because I was also such a fuck up and in all honesty haven't we all screwed up in life. Everyone here acting all high and mighty like they never stole work from their peers and never once acknowledge your wrongdoing. Bunch of hypocrites I tell you.

Mother fucker basically never didn't steal work. It isn't a "mistake", it's a compulsion. The dude fucking plagiarized his CV for chrissake. It's all he knows.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: HE IS NOT OWED THIS JOB. He's not going to fucking prison. He's just not welcome in games journalism anymore. People don't even know why they're defending him. His entire body of work was ripped from others. Follow them instead of giving this dude another million fucking chances.

He can get gone and make room for people with actual perspectives and voices to occupy the vacancy.

Let me repost my thoughts from earlier in the thread:

"Second chance" I'm laughin

He is not entitled to a position in games journalism. No one is entitled to any job. Especially a job that a lot of qualified people would love to actually do.

This mediocre-ass dude literally tripped his way into a fucking job that he could not do (or at least had no interest in doing) and he cheated his way off the hard work of others his entire career. Why does he deserve a "second chance"? The mother fucker did it a million times and kept getting away with it. He clearly doesn't care.

This isn't even an "art vs. artist" debate. You can't value his opinions "despite these mistakes", because we don't even know what his opinions are. He never gave them. He copied the opinions of others. Again: his entire career.

No one owes this mother fucker anything. Not even the benefit of the doubt at this point. I'm sick of talentless mediocre men taking advantage of others to further their career, in lieu of, you know, actually trying. The idea that one would be content lapping up attention and profit off of work they didn't actually do is, honestly, fucking sickening to me.

Go find a job in sales, binch. No one owes you shit.

Handyandy58

Oct 31, 2017
Regarding all this "second chance" stuff - he has unlimited chances. He's not been kicked of YouTube or banned from the internet. He's not entitled to being hired by IGN or some other site again, but that doesn't mean he isn't being given a chance. Every video he uploads without an apology to the people he ripped off or even an acknowledgment of what he's done, that's another "second chance" he's wasted. This guy's life isn't ruined, but I don't know why anyone would think anyone could trust the originality of his content until he's tried to atone in any way for this stuff.

spectrumfox

Oct 27, 2017
California
We've heard this same kind of non-apology countless times over the past decade from different people.

Now Filip is actually plagiarizing his apologies.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
We have put these people on pedastals, have expected them to perform superhuman writing feats time and time again. At some point, this is what they must do to survive. This is our doing. Blood is on our hands.

This is why companies have transitioned from carefully constructed editorials and instead offer procedurally generated native ad content powered by machine learning and Dictated Exclusively by Alexa on Your Amazon Echo Device™—you can still read, but at a cost. They are just trying to teach us real world lessons. Yet readers still want to live in fantasy land where you should be able to read original content whenever you want just because.

Next time a big YouTuber does something you don't like, take a deep breath and shut up. They are doing it for your own good. Be thankful.

Thank you. Filip. Thank you, Mr. Miucin. Thank you, Daddy Fil-In. Resetera, please follow their example—the world is watching, and we still have a lot to steal.

~ Thought I'd try my hand at plagiarism ;) ~

Status
Not open for further replies.