Votes: 984 65.0%
  • State of Play

Votes: 347 22.9%
  • Final Fantasy VII Battle Royale

Votes: 184 12.1%

• Total voters

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean, the State of Play at least had more FF7R content. But they were both wastes of time and not enjoyable

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
Both were garbage.
But I'm trying to put a positive spin on this.
No need to buy ps5 and no need to buy Switch software because that's how much less I'll be spending!

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't expecting anything big from a 20 minute state of play. I was expecting something of value from a 50 minute direct after a long ass hiatus...

There were more games I have an interest in in the state of play though. Pretty much everything besides crash and that crappy dodgeball multiplayer game (that was also in the direct)

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Is there an option for both were bad?

I'll say Nintendo Direct was better simply because we saw more new stuff than today's SoP. I even went in with low expectations and still came out saying "if this is what they had to show at a SoP, the state of things for this year aren't great".

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
They were both commercials and both did their job. But I can't imagine a world in which the SoP was considered better. It was fine--exactly what it was advertised to be--but the Direct had substantial game announcements and had a much better flow.

Edit: To be clear, I enjoyed both.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The Direct gave me a bunch of new games and release dates. The Direct was one of the better groups of trailers I've seen in a while and State of Play was all stuff we'd seen before with a port that was leaked.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Even though I'm much more of a playstation guy then a Nintendo guy I enjoyed the Nintendo direct much more, and I went in without any expectations of either.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
Triangle Strategy and Neon White vs Kena and Solar Ash. i'll give it to the direct as those were both new announcements but each had two standout games to me (didn't pay attention to the Deathloop or Returnal trailers today as i've seen more than enough of both)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
To me when you have a small amount of games they need to be absolute BANGERS. Either AAA games or games with massive fanbases. You sneak in 3-4 smaller titles but the other 5 need to be monster hits. In that respect, Sony's show fell flat to me. Smaller AA titles should be grouped together. Nintendo's showing had far more variety so even if you only like a few games you do have those few.

If this show didn't have FF7 and someone told you what was in it, most people wouldn't have even bothered to tune in.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Direct was better but also more disappointing. State of Play seemed like it did nothing to convince people to buy a PS5 as much as I love Yuffie.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Both will pale in comparison to the Pokemon State of Direct tomorrow in terms of anger that is

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
to be fair, over on EtcetEra they talking about having sex with insurance commercial mascots
Will we do the same with game company execs?

giphy.gif

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Splatoon 3 was the only truly huge announcement between them. I think they both had good stuff though, just the Direct had more and at a better pace.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Neither were that great, but the Nintendo Direct was easily better because new high profile game (Splatoon 3) and more new announcements.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
in a vacuum, the direct was better because it had a major new announcement (splatoon 3), however in the context of 2020 where playstation had a better lineup than the switch and there were two good major PS5 showcases, the state of play was more enjoyable relatively. I think Nintendo is saving their big guns for E3/Switch Pro reveal though.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
They both mostly sucked but I'll give the edge to State of Play purely because I don't have a Switch.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Thor 2: The Dark World because both events were crap.

I guess the direct was marginally less so, though.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got to say Returnal shockingly grabbed me, Solar Ash looked great and FFVIIRI blew my damn mind.

So got to go with SoP for me.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
State of Play benefited from lower expectations. And probably a higher percentage of games I'm somewhat interested in? Though the Direct did have more new announcements.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
State of Play wins easily. It certainly wasn't great, but it it had a few games I'm interested in. I had zero interest in anything from Nintendo Direct.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I guess overall the Direct? They were both pretty mediocre but dang Square was the saving grace of both of them

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
You take Mario Golf out of the equation and the Nintendo Direct was still much better overall. You include Mario Golf, though, and it's a blowout in favor of the direct.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
FF7R Intergrade is hype. Pyra and Mythra in Smash is hype. Between these two broadcasts, I got representation for my two favorite JRPGs. :)

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm going to abstain due to them both feeling anticlimactic and somewhat pointless. If I HAD to pick, Sony, if only because there's some actually new stuff there. Nintendo is just Smash character, Mario, Zelda, and one other - rotate your fire emblem, animal crossing, splatoon thing here - and then that's it until the next one. When it's Smash, Mario, Zelda and ... There are over 400 games with Mario in it. I just don't care any more. I'm been jumping on goombas and having Mario play sports for 30 years. It's just not exciting any more, no matter how well the games are crafted. I feel the same about Sony first party. Great games. Enjoy many of them. But showing me yet another 3rd person action game or another platformer is just like "Ok cool."

I wanna see a Nintendo Direct with a new IP that gets 75% of the TLC of their core franchises. Something new. And Sony 1P? Gimme anything else, just once in a while. A WRPG. Anything first person. (Or make my year with a first-person WRPG, please!) And again, give it the same level of craftsmanship. Then I'll get excited.

just effin surprise me once.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
For games that appeal to me, the Direct was better by far.

Nintendo Direct-
-A new Mario Golf title.
-Splatoon 3 announced.
-Famicom Detective Club 1&2 are getting localized.
-Zelda: Skyward Sword HD announced.
-Project Triangle Strategy announced and there's a demo.
-Legend of Mana HD announced.
-No More Heroes 3 release date.
-World End's Club release date.
-A new Crayon Shin-chan game by the Boku no Natsuyasumi team (JP Direct)

Playstation State of Play-
-Kena: Bridge of Spirits release date.
-FF7 Remake DLC -that's PS5 exclusive.

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
State of play was dreadful, kena aside, I didn't see anything of interest. At least the direct had Mario golf and triangle strategy.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Both were tied but I expected everything from both and some people gotta understand it's gonna be like this for a bit .

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I just finished the State of Play and it was bad bad not good. Nintendo is plain better when presenting their Directs. They started this whole small bite presentation style and you can tell they are 5 - 10 steps ahead of Sony.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure it's fair to compare them. Direct was meant to be more new announcements whereas State of Play was more so focused on updates to previously announced games.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
SoP opened up with a long trailer for a game that came out in October of last year. That should tell you which one was worse. Also Direct had the bigger final announcement with Splatoon 3

Even removing the actually content from both, the direct despite being longer was paced much better

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
State of play's big port announcement is free upgrade compared to $60 for Direct's.

In all seriousness, they were both fine.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
State of Play had way better looking games but not much surprises but with FF7 upgrade thats enough to win.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty underwhelmed with both, but less so with Nintendo's. Barely anything in SoP to get excited about. My PS5 is basically a PS4 back-compat machine right now, but I know things will get better as the generation marches on.