• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does your PS4 have a loud fan?

• Yes, my PS4 is loud.

Votes: 306 29.6%
  • Yes, my PS4 Pro is loud.

Votes: 403 39.0%
  • No, my PS4 is not loud.

Votes: 237 22.9%
  • No, my PS4 Pro is not loud.

Votes: 217 21.0%

• Total voters

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
It's the menu screens that drive my fans crazy but in-game it's quieter.

It's really bizzare.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I sit right next to my PS4 pro and 95% of the time I can't hear it. Occasionally a menu or game will make it audible but never Jet Engine loud.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to petition the mods to just stop letting people post this fucking OT.

If you search there are like 47 fucking threads about the noise the PS4 makes.

Someone has to post about it every couple weeks like suddenly we all forgot that it's loud as hell....

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
My launch PS4 used to be almost silent, but has become noisier over the past year or so. My youngest playing Fortnite seems to affect it the most, and you can really feel the heat coming off it. Haven't done a full strip and clean, but did a basic disassemble a blow-out, which helped a bit.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
My Ps4 Pro is mostly quiet. Some much that I was always puzzled when reading about how they could make so much noise. But yesterday, while playing FFVIIR, for the first time it started making kinda loud fan sound in busy area.

Tried with couple others games, and it seem very inconsistent.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing GoW on and off for a while now and it's so loud it actually makes me avoid the game.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My Pro is pretty terrible for most current games. It's usually not too bad for games before 2017, but anything newer it's pretty unbearable.

Oct 25, 2017
It's quiet enough, I guess. I always play with headphones, and I don't use very high volumes (can't measure exactly on console, but I use it at 24/100 on PC), but the noise hasn't been an issue with that setup with the only exception being God of War 2018's map screen, that thing gets LOUD. I play on a PS4 Pro

Though I suppose I don't necessarily play the most demanding games out there, since I play most of my stuff on PC. I prefer the performance mode in Horizon just so it won't drop in towns, so my console is less stressed out in general. Most of my time gaming on the PS4 is spent with Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts II and the Uncharted Collection. Two games that were already 60fps on the base PS4 and one that doesn't have a Pro patch anyway. Also played a ton of Yakuza 0 last year, another 60fps on base PS4 game.

I can hear my PC when I'm playing close to it, and it's still not loud enough to bother me, so the PS4 is definitely quieter than that.

Either I got lucky or it's really more about the games I play. I did play quite a bit of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and plan on playing more times, so I'll try to notice if that one gets loud.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Really depends on the game, but yes, much of the time my launch OG PS4 sounds like it's going to take off into the stratosphere. For some reason, Dreams really brings out the worst in it. Every time I play Dreams, my poor PS4 sounds like it's going to commit sudoku.

Deleted member 28231

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My PS4 PRO is that loud i stopped gaming on it. Really looking forward to PS5 to play a bunch of PS4 games i skipped because i didn't want to play with headphones all the time.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
For some reason my pro get loud AF at a games start menu but calms down once I actually start the game.

it's quiet 85% of the time but that other 15% it's so loud I have to turn to volume up.

Oct 27, 2017
Still rocking my launch PS4. It doesn't get noticeably loud. Never enough to be noticeable over my sound system at a medium low volume. My friends pro though is like a jet engine

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
My PS4 Slim isn't loud yet, but it's only two years old. But it's starting to get there.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to petition the mods to just stop letting people post this fucking OT.

If you search there are like 47 fucking threads about the noise the PS4 makes.

Someone has to post about it every couple weeks like suddenly we all forgot that it's loud as hell....
I found the poll results of this thread interesting, though. Sometimes you get the impression that almost all PS4:s are loud, while the poll suggests it's only moderately more common than not. And this is with Era demographics possibly skewing the results towards loudness (assuming the problem increases with time and/or heavy use).

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
It depends on the game for me. Menus with uncapped framerates for instance make my Pro sound like a vacuum cleaner.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Yes the launch era PS4s were loud.

Had to end up getting a slim which is never loud. The loudest component on a slim is the disc driving spinning.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I have a Pro and playing this shit is torture. I'm sure the whole neighborhood can hear my Pro.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS4 and PS4 pro both from launch. Not jet engines. I mean, maybe my definition of "jet engine" isn't as hyperbolic as other people's. But I can't hear it over a game at a normal sound level. And it certainly isn't "waking people sleeping in another room" like I've heard some people say 😂

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Every time I see this I really want to know the cleanliness and location of people with loud pro's.
People rarely post them but ooof some of them you just see dust everywhere and it's like, yah no shit.

Mine's fine but it was bought around GOW2018 release, so maybe I just haven't had it long enough but I make sure the intake/vent are clear and regularly dust it and it's not on a carpet, nor in a nook, just open air ontop of a plastic surface.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My Pro is variable. Some games put it into overdrive and it's dead silent with others. It hasn't changed since I purchased it 3 years ago.

Color_Revolt

Oct 28, 2017
My jet engine noises suddenly began when I was in the middle of playing THPS1+2. Never once did the noises occur when I was playing TLOU2 or GoT.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Only game that makes my Pro loud occasionally was Dead by Daylight after one of the patches. Another patch released and it's been completely quiet ever since.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Back when I was playing FFXV my launch window PS4 went absolutely crazy. Turns out I had a bad TV bank that accumulated dust from all over the place and the PS4 ate it all up.
I opened it up and cleaned it with the lowest setting on my vacuum cleaner. That helped a lot. I continue to do so every 6 to 12 months. Sometimes the PS4 will roar like there's no tomorrow, but that's only in a few select title screens and once I'm in the game it quiets down almost immediately.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 Pro went from normal to jet engine.
After cleaning it (vacuuming the vents) it went back to normal. Can't complain right now.

VirtuaCider

May 15, 2020
I used to notice my OG PS4 being loud on intensive games, but not lately. The difference might be that I moved it to a cabinet with an open back which would be better acoustically.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Bought my PS4 used from a friend about 2 years ago, and earlier this year it was so loud that I looked up how to clean the inside and got a bunch of dust out. Was a bit nervous taking it apart as I'd never done it before with a console. It's been a lot quieter since, but it still gets loud with some games or during particularly action heavy sequences. I heard Ghost of Tsushima really makes it work, so despite wanting to play it I might just wait until I have a PS5.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Every time I see this I really want to know the cleanliness and location of people with loud pro's.
People rarely post them but ooof some of them you just see dust everywhere and it's like, yah no shit.

Mine's fine but it was bought around GOW2018 release, so maybe I just haven't had it long enough but I make sure the intake/vent are clear and regularly dust it and it's not on a carpet, nor in a nook, just open air ontop of a plastic surface.
Digital Foundry reported that the Pro revision from 2018 was relatively quiet. Including their own personal consoles.

It's interesting that Sony didn't really change anything in the mechanical build, nor power consumption, so there might have been a silicon revision or something like that. They were a year early to use 16nm in 2016. Cerny implied their estimate of future games rise in power demand missed the mark and that's why the launch Pro was loud with some games.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Monster Hunter World makes my PS4 Slim roar

I'm glad Sony emphasised on cooling and quietness on PS5 before launch many times so they clearly know

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and it's a replacement latest model too lol not very old, like a year.

So excited for PS5, can't take this noise much longer.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes, my Pro is incredibly loud. I've considered taking it apart to replace the thermal paste and pads because I've heard that can make a difference, but I'm a little skittish about breaking something.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Ps4 fat that is on a normal level, nothing serious, i clean it yearly, and changed thermal paste 2y ago

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Digital Foundry reported that the Pro revision from 2018 was relatively quiet. Including their own personal consoles.

It's interesting that Sony didn't really change anything in the mechanical build, nor power consumption, so there might have been a silicon revision or something like that. They were a year early to use 16nm in 2016. Cerny implied their estimate of future games rise in power demand missed the mark and that's why the launch Pro was loud with some games.

Ah I see, didn't know there was one, thanks!

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
my pro is quiet, sometimes i can just about hear the fan. my original launch ps4 though fuck me i got so used to the noise i thought there was something wrong with my pro when i got it as it was so quiet lol