• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I keep seeing it everywhere now. I thought it only applied to "I wanna be the guy" back then. I guess it's better than souls-like

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop hyping these games up as some sort of distinguished exercise in self-flagellation. They're 3rd person action RPGs.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Masocore describes games that are basically "memorize absolutely everything about the layout or you will die (like I Wanna Be The Guy like you said)". Souls games and the like are difficult games but require patience over memorization. Soulslike is fine by me, just like how Metroidvania is fine by me.

Oct 25, 2017
Masocore describes games that are basically "memorize absolutely everything about the layout or you will die (like I Wanna Be The Guy like you said)". Souls games and the like are difficult games but require patience over memorization. Soulslike is fine by me, just like how Metroidvania is fine by me.
Yep, same.

Sounds incredibly dumb to sell the games based on something they're not. A director calling their own game that is more likely to turn me off from playing than make me thnk "Just like From Software! Can't wait!".

That said, if people start using it, then what can I do. Not gonna fight this, I'll just use whatever term everyone understands.

At the moment, that term is Soulslike.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Masocore sounds absolutely horrible, and I also think it completely not encapsulates that which makes the Souls-games appealling. Souls-likes are a rinse-repeat thing, but memorization is just part of it. Also building your character and your equipment while getting to know your environment at the same time is a huge part of the succes of Souls-likes.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Masocore is what you thought it was, anyone using it to refer to a Soulslike is using the word incorrectly.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can someone break the word 'Masocore' down for me? I guess there's a 'masochism/ist' in there somewhere but where's the 'core' coming from?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
i still lowkey think its a little bit weird we call something thats already a genre a different name just because its hard

i mean i like the sound of soulslike ... but thinking about it is kinda dumb

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for it. Soulslike like is a terrible description when the vast majority of games labeled as such fall flat in areas that actually make Miyazaki's games so special: art direction, level design, sense of discovery, world-building/lore/ambient storytelling.

Masocore let's me know I'm in for punishing, stamina based combat and some sort of mechanic(s) around dying a lot. It doesn't needlessly get my hopes up.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere?

The top google results, 1 is from 2017, several are from 2014. Many of them just are about platforming games. Ain't nobody saying this shit.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Does anyone else feel like Soulslike is a negative connotation whereas Metroidvania is more neutral? Lemme explain.

Metroidvania puts two brilliant games into one phrase, and instead of saying "Metroidvanialike" it's just the former. This assumes whatever game is a Metroidvania will be a sprawling map with many rooms to explore, and is usually praised by many fans of the genre.

On the otherhand, "Soulslike" games receive flak for being too similar to a Souls game's design. This is one game rather than two, and says the game is "like" Souls games instead of "being" a Souls game. Is it because Dark Souls is a much more modern addition whereas the others are older and thus it's okay for games to be Metroidvania?

It could just be me but this is the vibe I get.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Masocore is a portmanteau of masochism and hardcore. It refers to a particular subset of platformers that require nearly pixel perfect execution, most famously 'i want to be the guy'. Think like what bullet hell is to shmup, masocore is to platformer.

Soulslike refers to games that closely follow the design of FROM software's souls series of games. They are usually third person action games with a checkpoint system, a resource cost associated with dying, a stamina system, a very purposeful set of animations, and some visual language for being able to observe or predict danger before it befalls you. Like 'Roguelike' before it, the term evolved (or devolved depending on who you ask) from referring to games using all similar systems into anything using one or more similar systems.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I mean some people really wish those games were called "lookatmeIamahardcoregamer...
Soulslike for me also is a synonymous of quality not just difficulty.

JohnF

Jan 19, 2019
Never heard that before and it sounds kinda gross. "Soulslike" has already won out as the term anyway, like Metroidvania.