• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo also does Nintendo Selects. Which we can expect 1-2 years from now, where it is a universal reprint of games for $20.

That is along with all of their sales.

Also. The reason why Nintendo games hold their value, and not arbitrarily, just simply look at this.

GameCube games which are over 10 years old. Still hold a value of $30-40 per game. These games are far out of print, so they hold their value just by people alone in the used market(not nintendo) . It isn't anti consumer at all when the market actively supports something like this, with none of Nintendo's involvement at all. Nintendo games merely have value.
https://www.ebay.com/b/GameCube-Games/139973/bn_367768
We all meet at TGI Fridays on the weekends.
Awwwww man dude. Why wasn't I invited?!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I find it hard to believe every single Nintendo exclusive is still selling at a rate that warrants $60 but I obviously don't have the numbers to back up my suspicion.
BOTW is the best selling Zelda game, is highly rated, and has an attach rate of around 45% last i checked

the attach rate is the big thing for Zelda there (and for Mario Kart), that can show a trend of the sales of games sales growing with a console sales.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is two years old as of last Sunday. You're gonna have to give it some time.

There are eShop sales every week. And no, first-party games [almost] never go on-sale.
Is this just Nintendo being anti-consumer because they can?
This is just Nintendo understanding the law of supply and demand and exploiting the economic reality that their games are high-quality and don't lose value.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Nintendo keeps stuff full price even when it isn't selling. Look at Wii U console and its games, could find cheaper PS4s and Xboxs and they were outselling it massively.

the Wii U sold very low and now we're getting into the territory of "these games are not very common so prices are going up" since it was discontinued 3 years ago.

discontinued Nintendo merch is the one that goes up the most in price. just look up prices for retro games of the 2D eras. the Wii U also has the plus of the gamepad never being released alone and several games not getting Switch ports and it's a recipe for a super expensive collector's item.

Lucianoger

Jan 21, 2018
Brazil
The average consumer seems to think that games can't be full price, I don't know how this industry haven't broken yet. That's why mobile games flooded with micro-transactions are the new norm, people don't want to pay the minimum price for a game that took milions of dollars to make.

Why would Nintendo ever drop the price on BOTW, a game they took almost 6 years to develop, and has the highest score in the platform to date, just "because X, Y and Z companies do"?! The developers that make those games have their own families to feed, they need money for their work too.

This view that games should always be on sale is a problem created by Steam and their ridiculous sales.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe every single Nintendo exclusive is still selling at a rate that warrants $60 but I obviously don't have the numbers to back up my suspicion
This is not correct. BOTW sells incredibly well with almost no drop off month after month, outselling many new releases consistently.

It is the GTA V of switch.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
The consoles themselves. Where was WiiU dropping in price because it wasn't selling? That was the argument I replied to, sales keep prices high.
The WiiU stayed expensive because they were expensive to make and had a short lifecycle

If the console was more popular/lived longer then it would of dropped in price, because game sales are more profitable than console sales in general.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The average consumer seems to think that games can't be full price, I don't know how this industry haven't broken yet. That's why mobile games flooded with micro-transactions are the new norm, people don't want to pay the minimum price for a game that took milions of dollars to make.

Why would Nintendo ever drop the price on BOTW, a game they took almost 6 years to develop, and has the highest score in the platform to date, just "because X, Y and Z companies do"?! The developers that make those games have their own families to feed, they need money for their work too.

This view that games should always be on sale is a problem created by Steam and their ridiculous sales.
I obviously don't think games need to go on sale weeks / months after they launch but I also think they should probably drop in price after 2 years.

I also have no issue paying $60 for games I really want (Smash, Pokemon) but the rest of the industry has certainly given me the expectation that older games will be cheaper than the newest stuff.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I find it hard to believe every single Nintendo exclusive is still selling at a rate that warrants $60 but I obviously don't have the numbers to back up my suspicion.

This just reminds me of Activision and them almost never dropping prices on Call of Duty games.

I don't think there's anybody that would argue that CoD have such great quality that they deserve to stay at $60 well past their prime.
Best selling games of 2018:
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Madden NFL 19
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man
  7. Far Cry 5
  8. God of War 2018
  9. Monster Hunter: World
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  11. Grand Theft Auto V
  12. Mario Kart 8*
  13. FIFA 19**
  14. Battlefield V**
  15. Super Mario Odyssey*
  16. Call of Duty: WWII**
  17. Dragon Ball: FighterZ
  18. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  19. Super Mario Party*
  20. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu*

Nintendo games on this list that released all the way back in 2017:
Mariokart 8
Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey.

These games are best sellers in the USA, even though they released the year before, and they kept their price.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is not correct. BOTW sells incredibly well with almost no drop off month after month, outselling many new releases consistently.

It is the GTA V of switch.
Yeah, there was a recent thread about how BotW hasn't left the top 20 in weekly sales for Japan since launch, and only missed the NPD top 20 a single month.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone makes this more complicated than it is. The reason Nintendo keeps their games full price is twofold.

1. Because they can. And that's not me being flippant. They have to have the ability to do so for the 2nd part to be relevant.

2. Because it encourages their audience to impulse buy their games day one. No one is worrying about the price dropping by half in a month. Getting it now will cost the same as getting it in a year, so why not get it now.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So do Nintendo games in general tend to have less DLC / MTX? Serious question.
Microtransactions are virtually nonexistent.

DLC is usually substantial. For a lot of their games it's essentially equivalent to expansion packs (Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2, for example). Fire Emblem is really their only series where it's been poorly managed.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
This is true too, as someone mentioned a bit ago, Nintendo doesn't want to devalue their brand by offering price cuts easily. I've seen Code Name Steam of all thing for full price on store shelves as recently as a year ago.

What store were you at that had this game taking up shelf space? It has been selling for under $10 dollars online for years, I got it two years ago for $1.99

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Do what many do and buy them whem they're on sale. If you can't be bothered pay full price or buy something else.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
Eshop games are always in discount, and please remember that you are 2 clicks away for a discount in another region (same credit card same profile, same avaible languages, no ban) for example all indies are cheapper in Nintendo mx without discount that ps4 discounted one. Try to use the freedom of the ecosystem to save you some coins.
pd: Xboxone and Ps4 are region free but a pain in the ass with constant region changing for 1 purshase to another one in a different region.

This is your place to Nintendo switch games discount.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo games do go on sale, for example starting 3/10 in NA a bunch of Mario games will be $40 digital including Odyssey, MK8D, Tennis, Super Mario U, etc. May be also physical. Plus they are doing a bundle where you can buy a new switch for $330 and get a digital game included. I've bought Zelda BOTW and a few other games when they went on sale for $40 or on a b2g1f at best buy/target which drops them to $40 basically. Mario Rabbids was $20 at gamestop for a week 2-3 weeks ago, and I bought it digitally for $27 (with all the DLC) at the same time.

Its just the sales tend to be far, far more rare and very short lived. It has its perks, as people have said you can buy at launch without worrying about a massive price cut shortly afterwards. I heavily regret buying Shadow of the Tomb Raider at launch, it was 50% off a month later. Ubisoft games as well go on deep, deep discounts quickly. I can understand why, but it just makes me not wanna buy certain publishers games anymore at launch unless I love the title/series.

Nintendo games also don't really do much in the way of microtransactions, loot boxes, GAAS, etc which is a plus for SP games but also means there isn't much in the way of things like Division 2, APEX, etc. Which is fine, I don't play switch for those kinda games.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

This just reminds me of Activision and them almost never dropping prices on Call of Duty games.

I don't think there's anybody that would argue that CoD have such great quality that they deserve to stay at $60 well past their prime.

1-2 Switch and ARMs seem to go on sale more often than other first party games so I'm guessing those don't have long term sales as good as other first party releases.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure at some point there will be a switch version of "greatest hits" and you will be able to pick up a selection of games for a cheaper price with ruined box art but we are probably a year or two off from that.

Other than that, permanent price reductions probably isn't happening.

Last edited:

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Value is not only quantified through cost.

If you buy a game you enjoy and it lowers in price a month later does the value of it lower?

Of course it's not just the monetary cost of it, but that's what this thread is about. If we wanna talk "real value" then OP is insane, because he's complaining about 60 bucks for BOTW, one of the best games of all time, one that will likely give him far more joy, fun, playtime, etc., than almost any other consumer product you could buy. The value of that game is enormous.

Oct 26, 2017
It's frustrating to see people defending (in many cases in a very condescending fashion) what seems to me to be a very blatantly shitty business model.

The only one acting condescending is you tbh. You're the one branding people who made legitimate arguments against you as a "defense force" without properly addressing their points (you even go so far as to cherry-pick certain comments and ignore others).

WildGazelle

Jun 14, 2018
I am poor so I almost always buy and resell physical games, and Nintendo games usually cost me less. Am I not a consumer? :(

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
TIL selling a product at MSRP is "anti-consumer". Talk about entitlement. Games that go on sale frequently just encourages consumers to wait to buy, while lowering the value of the games they already sold.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's partially because they can (the market has long since accepted the price of Nintendo titles) and partially to continue training consumers to expect Nintendo games to stay full price for many years (which is why underperformers like Sushi Striker stay at MSRP months/years later).

Oct 27, 2017
And people wonder why we have so many microtransactions and so much dlc in modern games. When some people won't buy games without a massive price drop, the publishers have to make money somehow.

Morisaki

Oct 29, 2017
the Wii U sold very low and now we're getting into the territory of "these games are not very common so prices are going up" since it was discontinued 3 years ago.

discontinued Nintendo merch is the one that goes up the most in price. just look up prices for retro games of the 2D eras. the Wii U also has the plus of the gamepad never being released alone and several games not getting Switch ports and it's a recipe for a super expensive collector's item.

Indeed, Nintendo is not immune to market forces, unlike some people like to claim. If a game does not sell, the price will drop until scarcity of the game causes price to increase. Just look at Codename Steam. It released at $39.99 in Mar. 2015, and was on sale for $2.99 in Nov. 2017.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's depressing that some people who claim to love video games and care about the industry don't understand just how damaging the practice of deep discounting is for the industry. If the value of your main products is permanently unstable then your industry is also going to be permanently unstable. It's a race to the bottom, and could eventually cause a crash. I think a lot of non-Nintendo publishers are hoping that the shift away from retail and towards digital will allow a sort of 'reset' in terms of the value of a game, where consumers get used to more stable, and therefore higher, prices.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP, I know you got banned and this is a sale and not a price drop, but I thought I'd let you know that a bunch of digital Mario games for Switch are going on sale starting March 10th (Mar10/Mario day). Super Mario Party, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe are all going to be on sale for $39.99.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo not devaluing their games doesnt mean that they "anti consumer", good grief. The greed is all on you.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's depressing that some people who claim to love video games and care about the industry don't understand just how damaging the practice of deep discounting is for the industry. If the value of your main products is permanently unstable then your industry is also going to be permanently unstable. It's a race to the bottom, and could eventually cause a crash. I think a lot of non-Nintendo publishers are hoping that the shift away from retail and towards digital will allow a sort of 'reset' in terms of the value of a game, where consumers get used to more stable, and therefore higher, prices.

We're not going to see an industry-wide crash, but your points are valid and do point to a very real possibility of a Triple A crash in the future. A company like EA simply cannot afford 2-3 Anthem-sized games to flop. And there's going to come a day where something like that happens. And when it does, most of the big players are going to completely alter the scope of game development, resulting in a catastrophic loss of employment. The way a large part of this industry operates is completely unsustainable.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They are a bit stingy sometimes with prices *cough full price WiiU ports cough*, but I guess the trade off is that Nintendo games have excellent trade in values compared to usual games

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

Must be your first rodeo with nintendo.

Jaja quoted for best reply of the year!

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Sony and Microsoft both regularly drop the prices on their older games, it's kinda nice to pick up a secondary console later in its lifecycle and pick up good older games for $20-30.

You don't think it's anti-consumer to be charging $60 for a game that came out 2 years ago?
Thats why you never buy their game near launch if you can wait, if a game doesnt drop price even after a year I may as well buy it at launch, atleast thats how I see it

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're not going to see an industry-wide crash, but your points are valid and do point to a very real possibility of a Triple A crash in the future. A company like EA simply cannot afford 2-3 Anthem-sized games to flop. And there's going to come a day where something like that happens. And when it does, most of the big players are going to completely alter the scope of game development, resulting in a catastrophic loss of employment.

Yes sorry- I meant the AAA sphere. Keep forgetting how diverse the industry is these days.