• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
People praising Jaws of Hakkon's story confuses me hella bad cause none of it felt particularly important or noteworthy. The Descent at least has cool lore and world implications in it but Jaws of Hakkon really didn't have anything if you happen to not have the very particular set up that was pointed out over the past couple pages (Solas romance). I genuinely had to go read up on the story again with having played through it the first time last year and drawing a *complete* blank on it.

I wish it was easier to replay Inquisition cause it has a really neat story that I would like to try different routes through and see other things but it is such a pacing slog and wish it wasn't so grossly padded out. I have probably a dozen playthroughs of Origins (and at least two of Dragon Age 2) but could barely start a second of Inquisition because it's such a long undertaking to get to the good stuff.
Yea I'm super bummed
you don't get more stories from the old inquisitor about the world during his era and he's like dead in an instant :/

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Yea I'm super bummed
you don't get more stories from the old inquisitor about the world during his era and he's like dead in an instant :/

Basically. It feels like it's building up to an important conversation but it's over before it even gets rolling and then you fight a big baddie and you're done, bye. It was so inconsequential that I forgot about it.

Descent absolutely had something long lasting to me even though what you actually do is quick and abrupt and equally over as quickly because it had enough weight in the reveal (and honestly Trespasser is similar at that).

Trespasser is honestly a lot like Origin's Witch Hunt DLC. A lot of nothing until the very big super important final choice that I still want to see through >:(

Sorry Inquisitor, the Warden-Commander is still the most important to me and I want them and Architect back.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Inquisition DLC saved the game for me, I started the game loving in and having a ton of fun but the fetch quests and MMO like open world became old fast, it became a slog to finish the game and the original ending left me very unsatisfied.
Then I decided to start the DLC, Jaws was more of the same.
I had a ton of fun in The Descent, it reminded me of DA:O and I finished it in one sitting.
The Tresspasser is on a whole different level, seeing all your old companions gather in the winter palace and catching up with them was amazing, and the story of Solas and everything was well done and it finished the game on a good note.

It's criminal how they left the best part of the game as DLC because someone who only played the base game will have a very different opinion from someone who played all DLC.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
You'd be amazed how many people (mostly men) tout her as the ultimate Stronk Female Character(TM) because she's not conventionally attractive and swings a sword, like that makes up for her being fucking garbage.

Yeah her story has her have to get married to be less of a douche ultimate stronk female character indeed. :P It doesn't help that she starts the shit between her and Isabella they eventually work it out but still ugh. The only character I feel bad about rivaling in DA2 is Varric and that's because his rivalry doesn't really offer any insights.

As for best king in DAO I always marry Alistair and Anora. It's not like he gets married on his own lol. (That said my PC tends to be fine with being mistress so...)

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Basically. It feels like it's building up to an important conversation but it's over before it even gets rolling and then you fight a big baddie and you're done, bye. It was so inconsequential that I forgot about it.

Descent absolutely had something long lasting to me even though what you actually do is quick and abrupt and equally over as quickly because it had enough weight in the reveal (and honestly Trespasser is similar at that).

Trespasser is honestly a lot like Origin's Witch Hunt DLC. A lot of nothing until the very big super important final choice that I still want to see through >:(

Sorry Inquisitor, the Warden-Commander is still the most important to me and I want them and Architect back.
Okay after beating Jaws of Hakkon I can confidently say that Descent is way better, it's short & actually goes somewhere, you beat Hakkon and it's like nothing, talk with Harding & goodbye? Okay I guess I'm starting Trespasser after being really let down by JoH not what I was expecting from it at all :/

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Okay after beating Jaws of Hakkon I can confidently say that Descent is way better, it's short & actually goes somewhere, you beat Hakkon and it's like nothing, y'all with Harding & goodbye? Okay I guess I'm starting Trespasser after being really let down by JoH not what I was expecting from it at all :/
Jaw of Hakkon is more of an improved world area in the main game, whereas Descent and Trespasser are more in the line of the Main Quests. JoH is more interesting world background info about the Avvar and the previous Inquisition rather than any big lore reveals - remember first JoH came out, then Descent, then Trespasser, and those kind of show realistically order you should play them - JoH is absolutely not as cinematic story wise as the other two DLCs. You should probably really enjoy Trespasser if you like more story and convos.

But can we all agree that Storvacker the Bear is awesome?

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
One of these days, I'm gonna play these critically acclaimed DLCs attached to slogs of games.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Always heard good things, even bought them, but my main save got deleted so never got round to them.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
in antecipacing of the next game and after hearing so much ppl talking about how great the DLCs for DA:I are, im doing a full playthrough of the series to have a better understanding of the world and lore.

current 12h in DA:O and having a blast.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I want to finally do an Adaar playthrough but a) playing a qunari makes the game run like shit on PC for some reason b) the camera angles man. The camera angles.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Jaw of Hakkon is more of an improved world area in the main game, whereas Descent and Trespasser are more in the line of the Main Quests. JoH is more interesting world background info about the Avvar and the previous Inquisition rather than any big lore reveals - remember first JoH came out, then Descent, then Trespasser, and those kind of show realistically order you should play them - JoH is absolutely not as cinematic story wise as the other two DLCs. You should probably really enjoy Trespasser if you like more story and convos.

But can we all agree that Storvacker the Bear is awesome?
Yes I can forgive it for the bear that fought valiantly xD going after my last 4 high dragons tonight then I can finally sew this all up 😊

I'm still not done in Jaws I got to get the Avaar to respect me.

OMG you can recruit the fucking bear I'm deceased 💀 who would make it tranquil

in antecipacing of the next game and after hearing so much ppl talking about how great the DLCs for DA:I are, im doing a full playthrough of the series to have a better understanding of the world and lore.

current 12h in DA:O and having a blast.
Have fun, Origins is the best!

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Trespasser had me losing it. Especially in the last few fights with this song going nonstop.

Just an epic closure to the game. I still think DA:I's only "fault" is coming out right before Witcher 3. I still hold the opinion that it's quite good, and the last good Bioware experience to me.

Started trespasser
OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Trespasser had me losing it. Especially in the last few fights with this song going nonstop.

Just an epic closure to the game. I still think DA:I's only "fault" is coming out right before Witcher 3. I still hold the opinion that it's quite good, and the last good Bioware experience to me.

I'm so excited for the music I got my headphones at the ready, I wish I could listen to what you posted but I must save my virgin ears.

I finally did it.. beat all the High Dragons & got level 27 time for Trespasser after this bath my guys!

wow, talking with everyone has been awesome catching up with people shouldn't be optional :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
damn, spent 8 dollars just for Cassandra to get mad at me for not proposing :P fucking Varric lmao.

Trespasser is killing it on the story right out the gate.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
I am literally about to choose my class for this game (thanks to all who replied in my thread - advice has been noted!), and I can't wait to get stuck in. Haven't lost myself in a fantasy game in a long time.

Though I might not get around to doing everything due to time constraints and the fact my Backlog is huge...

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I am literally about to choose my class for this game (thanks to all who replied in my thread - advice has been noted!), and I can't wait to get stuck in. Haven't lost myself in a fantasy game in a long time.

Though I might not get around to doing everything due to time constraints and the fact my Backlog is huge...
I regret no using a bow and playing as a rogue, been a mage and that's been fun but I want it to feel more weighty ig

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

remember that you can control your teammates in battle if you want a "test drive" of other classes or just diversifying for a bit

only played on console sorry
i assume that you need a specific mod manager (that will also be on nexus) and it shouldnt be too hard though

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remember that you can control your teammates in battle if you want a "test drive" of other classes or just diversifying for a bit

only played on console sorry
i assume that you need a specific mod manager (that will also be on nexus) and it shouldnt be too hard though
I read Frostbite is a pain to mod and there's no steamworkshop integrated into the game. Oh well, bought it again on Steam, last time I played it was the time I platinumed it on PS4. I remember liking the game more than Witcher 3

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
You use Frosty Mod Manager. It's not as easy as Steam Workshop, but no more complicated than Nexus' mod managers for games like Skyrim/Fallout. Given this is easily a 50+ hour game, it's well worth putting in the effort to mod it up at the start to make those 50 hours more enjoyable.

I wrote a quick combat mod guide here to make the game feel much less like ass. It completely changes the feel of the combat, making your actions much more responsive and fast paced, instead of sluggish and animation locked.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You use Frosty Mod Manager. It's not as easy as Steam Workshop, but no more complicated than Nexus' mod managers for games like Skyrim/Fallout. Given this is easily a 50+ hour game, it's well worth putting in the effort to mod it up at the start to make those 50 hours more enjoyable.

I wrote a quick combat mod guide here to make the game feel much less like ass. It completely changes the feel of the combat, making your actions much more responsive and fast paced, instead of sluggish and animation locked.
Thank you, does the mods you recommended compatible with Frosty? Anyway to make this work like the old DA on PC in which you can move via clicking rather than using WASD.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Thank you, does the mods you recommended compatible with Frosty? Anyway to make this work like the old DA on PC in which you can move via clicking rather than using WASD.
Ahhh, not really. They really bastardized the tactical control schemes in pursuing controller/WASD movement. The tactical cam mode is atrocious, and the tactics menu is the weakest in the series. It amazes me that after three attempts none of their games can hold a candle to FF12's tactics/gambit system.

You've got to kinda embrace the action combat, and accept that the tactics menu is best used sparingly for repositioning, potions, the odd spell/ability setup. If you go into this hoping/trying to use it all the time, you'll pull your hair out with how bad the camera and controls are.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh, not really. They really bastardized the tactical control schemes in pursuing controller/WASD movement. The tactical cam mode is atrocious, and the tactics menu is the weakest in the series. It amazes me that after three attempts none of their games can hold a candle to FF12's tactics/gambit system.

You've got to kinda embrace the action combat, and accept that the tactics menu is best used sparingly for repositioning, potions, the odd spell/ability setup. If you go into this hoping/trying to use it all the time, you'll pull your hair out with how bad the camera and controls are.
I finished this on PS4, even platinumed it, during launch so i'm used to how it works but it's just feels weird on M/KB. I was expecting something like DA:O on PC, i'll probably just use a controller. The game looks gorgeous still

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
The game looks gorgeous still
True! For all the flak I give them for the awful UI design, weak combat, and often hammy dialogue, their art direction was seriously on point with Inquisition. Feels like they've finally found that Dragon Age "look", and the recent teaser for DA4 suggests they're sticking with it (and thankfully not going back to DA2's look 😋)

I mean, for a cross gen game, it's ridiculous how good this still looks in 2020:
ss-005.jpg

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm so excited for the music I got my headphones at the ready, I wish I could listen to what you posted but I must save my virgin ears.

I finally did it.. beat all the High Dragons & got level 27 time for Trespasser after this bath my guys!

wow, talking with everyone has been awesome catching up with people shouldn't be optional :P
The characters in the game are some of my faves. I looooove Dorian and Iron Bull, and there's an especially cool thing if you put them in your party a lot and don't romance either of them too.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
The characters in the game are some of my faves. I looooove Dorian and Iron Bull, and there's an especially cool thing if you put them in your party a lot and don't romance either of them too.
What's that? Some cool dialogue? I always take Dorian, Cassandra & Varric :-/

Just started following the Quanari into the mirrors, so Solas is an old eleven god? That's incredibly fascinating

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
What's that? Some cool dialogue? I always take Dorian, Cassandra & Varric :-/

Just started following the Quanari into the mirrors, so Solas is an old eleven god? That's incredibly fascinating
Iron Bull and Dorian form an intimate relationship independently of the player. They mention their escapades and to my knowledge it unlocks dialogue when you speak to them about their relationship. Don't know if you can normally ask them about it without seeing the dialogues but their banter and relationship is one of my favorites in Bioware's history. Iron Bull and Dorian are the OTP.

I won't spoil the execution for that spoiler character though.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Iron Bull and Dorian form an intimate relationship independently of the player. They mention their escapades and to my knowledge it unlocks dialogue when you speak to them about their relationship. Don't know if you can normally ask them about it without seeing the dialogues but their banter and relationship is one of my favorites in Bioware's history. Iron Bull and Dorian are the OTP.

I won't spoil the execution for that spoiler character though.
That's actually really cool but playing as a Quanari knight mage I have to say Dorian is my bae not Iron Bull's xD man, I'll have to play a female character someday to see some more extra dialog, thanks for dropping the knowledge I'd have never shipped them :P

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
That's actually really cool but playing as a Quanari knight mage I have to say Dorian is my bae not Iron Bull's xD man, I'll have to play a female character someday to see some more extra dialog, thanks for dropping the knowledge I'd have never shipped them :P
I wouldn't either until it happened. It's one of my favorite examples of the writers having fun with player choices in the game due to the relationship forming similarly to Garrus and Tali in ME3 if you don't romance either of them. I think it's really cool to have things happen outside of the players involvement to prove the world is a living breathing one. I don't want to spoil by posting the video clips or anything but some of my favorite banter in the game is their lines in and after battle.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see some inquisition love on ERA for once.

Personally enjoyed jaws of hakkon the most. I wish they had expanded a bit on that one character you meet (don't wanna spoil it).

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
But I still want Simon Templeton's awesome voice.

😓

Inquisition spoilers: I sent Hawke off to die because I refuse to have a dragon age world where Loghain is not around to be Loghain. Far too interesting a character for me to sent to the chopping block.

And I will make that choice every single time I presented it in any successive playthroughs.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
1.Loghain should logically be dead, he's old he encountered and archfiend
2. they moved the setting away from the south for a reason
Loghain has had like 3 or 4 opportunities to die in the series. Would be crazy if he was still alive.
I of course killed him im DAO for the shit he pulled at Ostagar.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Wait till you get to Trespasser.
DAI is an underrated game and the dlc is pretty good but trespasser is on a whole level

DAI is not underrated, it won the majority of GOTY awards the year it came out. It was significantly overrated, and in retrospect people realised that. The DLC fixes some things but it is still the worst DA game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Origins is a good game, but man... It was really really try hard edgy at times. Still had fun with it.

In ways I feel like Inquisition is the least "edgy" but has the most interesting world.

The original game relied a bit too much on: "Generic Fantasy... BUT DARK"

Also... I like that the Inquisitor has a voice and I hope DA4 stays voiced. Sue me, I can connect with my character more when they have a voice.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Inquisition spoilers: I sent Hawke off to die because I refuse to have a dragon age world where Loghain is not around to be Loghain. Far too interesting a character for me to sent to the chopping block.

And I will make that choice every single time I presented it in any successive playthroughs.
Give me an actually morally grey character instead of an annoying goody-good-two-shoes like Alistair any day of the week.