• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 14, 2019
I was nervous, but like many have said, I had more faith in the American people than was obviously justified. I kept hoping there would be a massive outpouring of good people to vote against this guy, even if they didn't necessarily like Hillary. Watching the returns on election night was a definite gut punch.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I was nervous, but like many have said, I had more faith in the American people than was obviously justified. I kept hoping there would be a massive outpouring of good people to vote against this guy, even if they didn't necessarily like Hillary. Watching the returns on election night was a definite gut punch.
I was watching but not posting in '16, but now Im posting instead of watching. I am so freakin nervous right now.

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I was feeling pretty great to be honest.
America would finally have its first woman president and we would all laugh at Donald Trump thinking that that he had even a remote chance of winning.
I knew that there would be a substantial amount of Americans voting for the buffoon, but no nearly enough.

Being European I felt that common decency, knowledge and general life experience among the voting population would inform the American public enough to stay as far away from Trump as possible.

Turned out I was very wrong.

I still love the American people and I cherish the time I have spent there, but it will take many years until I feel it is time to revisit the states.
The amount of polarization in the US and the rest of the world has turned me off traveling for some time (even before the pandemic).

Give it 12 years or so, and maybe, a social democrat will be president, then I will come visit.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I was really confident in Hillary winning and ate my hat the next morning. I've learned my lesson. Chances look better for Biden this time around but Trump is STILL somehow polling above 40% against Biden in the swing states. I don't care how different 2020 is from 2016, the fact that the sitting president can bungle an international crisis this much and still be within shooting distance of winning is absurd to me.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I was confident as fuck; "No way is America going to elect this racist ass clown!"

....how foolish I was.....

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I wasnt worried in the slightest that Hillary would lose.

Now I'm terrified these empowered racists are going to get another 4 years.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I went full sweet summer child thinking "Grab 'em by the pussy" effectively killed Trump's chances at winning. Then at some point the Comey letter happened and I felt super uneasy and thought she'd at least eke out the win...

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I went in the afternoon to vote, then in the early evening, confident in a Hillary win, I went and saw Doctor Strange (how is this move already 4 years old?). I came out of that movie to a bunch of texts from my friend saying how shit was crazy and it looked like Trump was going to take it. I was, so confused. It was a rough night after that. It's like I went in to Doctor Strange in one world, and came out of it in another.

Stellares

Oct 27, 2017
I remember anyone who mentioned that trump had a sliver of a chance was immediately labeled an idiot or a trump supporter on the old board. Anything less than a landslide was dismissed.

Worst of all they convinced me clinton had it in the bag so i was very confident until the election returns were showing bad signs. Early on in the night the same posters were once again calling people idiots for worrying.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Worst of all they convinced me clinton had it in the bag so i was very confident until the election returns were showing bad signs. Early on in the night the same posters were once again calling people idiots for worrying.

Yeah, I very much remember that part. There was so MUCH confidence that Trump couldn't happen, and people were surprisingly angry at others that were freaking out once the results started coming in. Even when it was pretty clear Trump was pulling ahead, some people were still calmly telling other people, "I can tell this is your first election. You're going to feel so dumb when Trump loses."

I always wonder what happened to those people and how they reacted when the final results came in.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I very much remember that part. There was so MUCH confidence that Trump couldn't happen, and people were surprisingly angry at others that were freaking out once the results started coming in. Even when it was pretty clear Trump was pulling ahead, some people were still calmly telling other people, "I can tell this is your first election. You're going to feel so dumb when Trump loses."

I always wonder what happened to those people and how they reacted when the final results came in.

I remember the thread on Gaf...

Oh man, the meltdowns....

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think Trump would win but the volatile polls, the Comey letter, and they way so many people just *hated* Clinton had me worried..

I'm much more confident about the election this time but I'm worried about legal fuckery if it's close.

Oct 28, 2017
Where would you have moved to, if I may ask? A state or city was in mind for you? I just want to say you can always move somewhere, and you are welcome here, friend!
I would have had moved to Boston MA at the time, it would have been the second time in 4 years that I would have had emigrated (I moved to Paris, France a few years earlier).
I had spent 2 months in the US in 2015 and my interactions with Americans made me feel super welcome there the way I had yet to feel in France.
Thanks a lot for the kind words they mean a lot.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I was very nervous; I live in Michigan and the vibe I was getting from way more people than I expected was just hatred toward Hillary. I didn't love her either but I thought folks would be able to look past that to see that she was the obviously better choice there. And look how that went.

I am taking nothing for granted. I'm anxious, worried, and excited (there is a deep, animalesque part of my brain that still enjoys the gamesmanship of modern politics even as it destroys our society.) I'm appalled how many people on here are just convinced things are over right now.

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I would have had moved to Boston MA at the time, it would have been the second time in 4 years that I would have had emigrated (I moved to Paris, France a few years earlier).
I had spent 2 months in the US in 2015 and my interactions with Americans made me feel super welcome there the way I had yet to feel in France.
Thanks a lot for the kind words they mean a lot.
I have only been to the airport in Boston, but it seemed so terribly American (I had just lived in Italy for a few years, coming back was a shock.) I would recommend the West Coast if you came back to the US, trees and waves and berries and fruit and bats and owls and I could go on for a while haha! Keep ya head up, occupy your space, yo!

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
In 2016 I was confident Trump was going to lose.

In 2020 I am optimistic but nervous about Biden's chances. Obviously the polls are telling a great story, but every time I see an article about GOP court challenges and mail ballot issues, I feel like it's an uphill battle.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In 2016 I was confident Trump was going to lose.

In 2020 I am optimistic but nervous about Biden's chances. Obviously the polls are telling a great story, but every time I see an article about GOP court challenges and mail ballot issues, I feel like it's an uphill battle.

here's the thing.

if it comes to it.

I'm prepared to go fight

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I was haunted by Brexit but thought Hillary would pull it out.

I remember being in the UK a few weeks before the election, and was talking to my cousin and her friend from Mexico about it at some bar in London. In one of my worst takes of all time, I told them it'd be real difficult for him to win the electoral college because so many of the big states were firmly democratic, so I didn't see the MI/WI/OH/PA switch coming.

I remember getting worried about PA specifically a little later, I was talking to a coworker about it and saying it could flip and he didn't believe me, but I forget how likely I thought his win overall was

I have only been to the airport in Boston, but it seemed so terribly American (I had just lived in Italy for a few years, coming back was a shock.) I would recommend the West Coast if you came back to the US, trees and waves and berries and fruit and bats and owls and I could go on for a while haha! Keep ya head up, occupy your space, yo!

West Coast rules (when it's not burning) but Boston is probably the city that feels most Old World in the US, would be the least amount of culture shock imo

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I was haunted by Brexit but thought Hillary would pull it out.

I remember being in the UK a few weeks before the election, and was talking to my cousin and her friend from Mexico about it at some bar in London. In one of my worst takes of all time, I told them it'd be real difficult for him to win the electoral college because so many of the big states were firmly democratic, so I didn't see the MI/WI/OH/PA switch coming.

I remember getting worried about PA specifically a little later, I was talking to a coworker about it and saying it could flip and he didn't believe me, but I forget how likely I thought his win overall was

West Coast rules (when it's not burning) but Boston is probably the city that feels most Old World in the US, would be the least amount of culture shock imo
When I walked into the Airport I nearly clambored back on the plane to Portugal! I was blasted in the face by a billboard of a ten foot fake Italian chef holding a six foot lobster! That sort of thing doesn't really exist in Italia. Culture shock straight up. But back then I never knew what a Migos was, either.