• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Dumb question:

I own this digitally and a physical copy is in the mail.

How in the world can I legally play my copy on this emulator?

Game is incredible and my single issue is the blur over the whole image and OMG if I could run this at even 1080p or higher it would be incredible!

Tbh I had no idea there even was a Switch emulator. I hope the answer is something doable *fingers crossed*

Honestly I'm personally a bit iffy on emulating/ripping brand new games but what you'll need to do is mod a switch for homebrew and install a dumping application. Some quick looking around it appears NXDUMP tool is the current go to https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/nxdumptool/releases/tag/v1.1.10

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I don't understand why it's not stressing the CPU more than it is. Was Dolphin just limited to a single core, which is why it was relatively so hard to run in the early days?
Yeah, Dolphin was limited to a single core, and it still is mainly single core with some stuff offloaded to another core. The fact is that the Wii has a single core CPU, and you can't use multiple cores to emulate only one (or I mean, you could, but good luck). Switch is multicore (3 if I remember correctly), so you can use 3 cores for it.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Honestly I'm personally a bit iffy on emulating/ripping brand new games but what you'll need to do is mod a switch for homebrew and install a dumping application. Some quick looking around it appears NXDUMP tool is the current go to https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/nxdumptool/releases/tag/v1.1.10
Cool thanks for the help. I wouldn't normally be interested in doing this, but playing Xenoblade in a higher resolution would make a huge difference to me, so I'm considering it!

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Emulation will, once again, free us from nintendo's hardware soon

If only Nintendo would just release a standalone console version of the switch powerful enough to display everything at 4k 60 with great image quality....if they were willing to make a straight-up portable, I don't see why this shouldn't also be an option for the hardcore gamers out there. It should have been planned from the start, so all games just work off the bat.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Not salty at all. Just funny how some people completely misunderstand why Nintendo (and other companies') consoles are successful and why emulation is a niche and inconvenient solution for most people.
I don't think anyone is under the impression that emulation is for most people.

This a hardcore gaming community, so naturally there will be more interest here than elsewhere~

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
A gaming PC's CPU is so much stronger than the Switch's mobile chip, it's like Raditz vs the farmer with a shotgun.

I wasn't comparing the Switch's processor to a high end gaming processor. I was comparing this emulator to past emulators, which typically required a really good CPU just to run them adequately at all even after a year or two of optimizations. I think PCSX2 was really hard to run early on, Dolphin was, RPCS3 was notoriously hard to run and so I expected this to follow suit until it was further optimized. At least with Odyssey anyway, it seems like they are pretty far along, and it hardly taxes the CPU much at all.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Dumb question:

I own this digitally and a physical copy is in the mail.

How in the world can I legally play my copy on this emulator?

Game is incredible and my single issue is the blur over the whole image and OMG if I could run this at even 1080p or higher it would be incredible!

Tbh I had no idea there even was a Switch emulator. I hope the answer is something doable *fingers crossed*

Well yes and no, if all you're concerned about is the legality of it then you're in the clear, if you're expecting to better or even match the XBC Switch experience on your pc today then absolutely not.

You can legally dump your game and TRY to play it. In a few months it'll come close to your expectations probably, maybe less maybe more, all the way to 4k tho? Don't expect to hit that soon, on anything other than monster rigs.
Vulkan will be a godsend.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well yes and no, if all you're concerned about is the legality of it then you're in the clear, if you're expecting to better or even match the XBC Switch experience on your pc today then absolutely not.

You can legally dump your game and TRY to play it. In a few months it'll come close to your expectations probably, maybe less maybe more, all the way to 4k tho? Don't expect to hit that soon, on anything other than monster rigs.
Vulkan will be a godsend.

Ok I am fine waiting to see how it progresses then. I'm still using a 1080ti because I skipped last gen waiting for the 3000s for a big upgrade. Hopefully with my 30XX card at the end of the year then this will be more possible.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I wasn't comparing the Switch's processor to a high end gaming processor. I was comparing this emulator to past emulators, which typically required a really good CPU just to run them adequately at all even after a year or two of optimizations. I think PCSX2 was really hard to run early on, Dolphin was, RPCS3 was notoriously hard to run and so I expected this to follow suit until it was further optimized. At least with Odyssey anyway, it seems like they are pretty far along, and it hardly taxes the CPU much at all.
most past console were based around more desktop-level though, I believe. (PS2 has an nvidia GPU, etc. I think the low powered mobile CPUs are why the Wii U and Switch are more emulatable early on.

The hardware factors in, not just that it is being emulated.