• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Context: He's 12/13, he likes edgy stuff, and to post stuff for "lols"or to be edgy. He already posted stuff all over the place in the political Spectrum, but recently he posted 2 things on FB from Hitler. One a Jojo meme with Hitler (He's an anime fan), i ignored, and then a normal post of Hitler paintings. I looked at the comment of that, and one friend of my cousin ( with anime avatar) Talked that wanted to be like Hitler when grow up.

So i'm concerned now.

Do i ignore this, that its Just edgy stuff or talk to his parents to talk to him?

Idk If i talk something to his parents and he gets pissed and then start to like this stuff to antagonize.

What you guys would do?

Update: i have sent a calm PM saying Thats not cool, that i like him etc.

Update 2:
he said that he Just posted that for the paintings, i Said that to post serious stuff or good stuff from Hitler made, could offend somebody, Talked about his friend and there's nazi anime Groups that wants to get more people to the group. I Talked that i knew he didnt support these ideas but to take Care.

He laughed he Said to not worry about that, and he didnt knew that person (maybe a game friend)

Last edited:

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Maybe he is about the fashion.

SorePointlessInganue-size_restricted.gif

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
If he's only 12-13 he's a dumb edgy teen and you should set him straight before it's too late.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would let him know that that behavior is well beyond the expiration date. Confronting him about it would just reinforce the attention seeking behavior.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope I never have to deal with this with my own kids, I have no idea what I would do.

Talk to them about it and you could inadvertently push them into posting more similar stuff for fun if they think they're getting rise from you.

Do nothing and you have to constantly worry about how much they're normalizing the ideas for themselves and how much they're being influenced by friends that share the predilection for edgy humor.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I would do it face to face. Take him aside and say "hey, that Hitler shit, knock that off. You are gonna get kicked out of school and be labeled a racist the rest of your life. Do you want to be a burger flipper at 40?"

I would be kind of intimidating and forceful about it. Maybe even take in on a ride somewhere with one of your friends in the car that can back you up. Kind of a suburban scared straight.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Oct 25, 2017
Screen grab any toxic shit of his then in a few years when he starts trying to find jobs or date, post that shit all over his social media. I wouldn't think twice about doing it to any of my cousins, but maybe you have a closer family than I do lol.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I think the parent idea will just cause the kid to label you a petty, weak snitch and backfire.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I'd watch a documentary about the holocaust with him, occasionally pausing for a discussion.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
There is a point where this stuff starts as 'edgy' fun and turns into an actual fascination with this kind of stuff.

It's tricky as you don't want to be a party pooper. I'd personally keep an eye on it and see whether this is just him looking for aggro.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
man if you're old enough just tell him how cool that stuff is when he post it. quickest way to get someone that age to knock it off is if theres support for it.

just tell the folks

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I assume you are not from the US, are there issues with neonazi-ism in your area? Has he given you any indicator that he understands and supports Hitlers ideologies in general? An anime meme and a painting seem benign imo.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds more like edgy teenage shit, when I was 11 I draw a swastika and thought that was funny because I was being a rebel, now I realize that it was an stupid thing to do

His friend sounds weird though, abeit I don't why matters that he was using an anime avatar, this idea that people who use those are closet nazis is stupid

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
The fuck is his school teaching?
Yea, OP even you don't confront him yourself, I'd definitely tell his parents or something. He's not entitled to a "Hitler" phase, idc how young he is. Don't ignore this.
His friend might worse off than he is though. wtf at his comment

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume you are not from the US, are there issues with neonazi-ism in your area? Has he given you any indicator that he understands and supports Hitlers ideologies in general? An anime meme and a painting seem benign imo.
Not, US. Yeah there's problems with neonazism in the region but not close to that city. I don't know about the Second one.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When my brother showed me MS Paint the first time on our computer, I told him "You should draw a swastika!" (I was 8 or 9 I think).

Both he and my mom looked at me and said disapprovingly "No, we absolutely shouldn't, and you know why".

I immediately realized how much of a shithead I was and apologized.

Point is that they didn't tell me to stop or that I was an idiot. They just made me realize how harmful my impulse was, making me change.

I would find a way to explain to him why glorifying Hitler is harmful, without directly scolding him.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine talking to the parents would help him. Hitting him, scaring him straight, making him watching Nazi documentaries, nah, can't see that helping either. Like you said, the kid's edgy right now. I remember at his age going on ytmnd, laughing at stuff like tribute.wmv and Hitler memes. Wasn't much of a risk of me espousing Nazi ideologies back then, but with the internet being more political nowadays, this type of stuff can be much more harmful. It could just be a phase he grows out of, but who knows how long that'll take. Could be just his high school years, could be early 20s, could be it actually sticks with him.

I guess all I can think of is trying to get him interested in stuff that isn't that stuff, and to talk with him about the stuff he enjoys. Iunno, wish I had a good answer.