Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Just realized it now. They are planned tho as they said before release as all the expansions and updates are free and would supported with customization microtransaction and rumoured pets.
Yet they are still not in. They announced close after release they put it abit on the back burner have the whole "lack of content" talk. But thats not really a issue anymore for a while for SoT.
But for a game that has all free updates still no mtx after 10 months and 5 expansions it is pretty crazy i think? Maybe because MS is behind it with more support and money they can afford it to not put it in yet?

Update:

Update:
Looks like they arent coming soon also. Unless there is other MTX coming next to pets.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
And people claimed that Gamepass would only encourage games filled with microtransactions...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Active userbase is way too important for this kind of game - everything that could result in people being blocked from content or dropping the game because they cant play with their friends/crew anymore likely isnt worth the cost at this point.

10 months isnt that long either when it comes to games as a service and how long they could keep this going.

So yeah its cool that they havent charged for additional content yet, but at the same time thats whats needed to keep the positive word of mouth going.

And people said that Gamepass would encourage nothing but games filled with microtransactions...
That can and will likely still happen.
Publishers usually offer games for very cheap during sales or even for free on XGP/PS+ etc. because they hope that those new customers end up getting the premium DLC down the line that isnt on sale.

Its no rocket science - SoT being a positive exception for now, since its a flagship release doesnt change that fact.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They are exercising caution with this title after all the negative press and disappointment it generated.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
And people claimed that Gamepass would encourage nothing but games filled with microtransactions...
Yeah, and that all games would be multiplayer. Despite the many single player games launching day one on the service this month, and stuff like Ori 2 next year.

The whole point of a subscription service is to retain and increase subscribers. Any micro-transactions are icing on the cake. Although I suppose Netflix is just stuffed with multiplayer TV Shows and Movies with micro-transactions.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Does it have any more content than when it launched?

Seems like a game that has no MTX because there's nothing to play.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're making so much money from gamepass they don't need to add mtx anymore.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Been watching Summit play this quite a bit. Not sure I'd ever play it, but ints entertaining to watch. Hopefully they can keep expanding (without microtransactions).

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It was smart to put them on the back burner since they launched in a pretty barebones state. Other games received backlash for that very thing

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I have no knowledge about famous streamer people :-p

Well, now do you a bit. ;)

Summit averages 20k people watching, KingGothalion averages 4k people watching. Which ensures the game being in the top 10 when Summit streams and the game being in or around the top 20 games when Gothalion is streaming.

But most important is that the game has seen a rise in smaller streamers since the Shrouded Spoils update. It was an update that made lots of quality of life updates for the game.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After how it barebones the game was at launch, I'm guessing they want to reach a baseline of content people are happy with before introducing mtxs.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Does it have any gameplay loop yet? What was there at launch was AWFUL.

The gameplay loop is to have fun. ;)

But, in 2019 the game will receive a new game mode called 'The Arena' where a couple of teams will compete against each other. The team that gets the most treasure wins the game.

There's ya loop.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Does it have any more content than when it launched?

Seems like a game that has no MTX because there's nothing to play.

Uh, yes there's more content. The game gives you the tools to play in whatever way you want - PVP-heavy, PVE, friendly/aggressive. The quest types are to give you a loose goal per session but mix in other players with their own intentions and play styles with the newer AI threats and crazy shit can happen.

Here is a list of what's been added since launch - https://seaofnews.net/2018/11/30/whats-changed-in-sea-of-thieves/

Jun 1, 2018
Uh, yes there's more content. The game gives you the tools to play in whatever way you want - PVP-heavy, PVE, friendly/aggressive. The quest types are to give you a loose goal per session but mix in other players with their own intentions and play styles with the newer AI threats and crazy shit can happen.

Here is a list of what's been added since launch - https://seaofnews.net/2018/11/30/whats-changed-in-sea-of-thieves/

sorry but what exactly is that supposed to show? the game still has boring go to island -> find crate quests and now the added cargo quests wow how innovative! the game should have never launched as it is and its still so barebones that nobody even bothers playing it for more than a day

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

very healthy list.

how's the active player base?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Thats great. Good to hear. Sea of thieves was a disappointment for me due to my desire for an open world pirate game with all the fixings but hey I'm glad its doing well for what it is and it isn't predatory as all hell. Good for rare.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
sorry but what exactly is that supposed to show? the game still has boring go to island -> find crate quests and now the added cargo quests wow how innovative! the game should have never launched as it is and its still so barebones that nobody even bothers playing it for more than a day

I feel a negative energy surrounding you... ;)

You should check out Summit's streams. You'll see why people find the game fun. Rare has given people the tools to create their own pirating adventure. Every session is different. From stealing Athena's chests from other pirates, teaming up with a galleon to fight a Skull Fort or fighting a Megalodon and sharing the loot with three ships (or not and fight each other after fighting the Meg... haha.)

But SoT is a game you get or you don't. You don't have to like, luckily.

I don't like Halo. Shoot me. ;)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
TBH I actually did want to pay some extra bucks to fire a pet monkey out of a cannon, but it's great that they're truly committed to improving the game for free before inserting a bunch of microtransactions.

Also for the people saying (or wondering if) the game has added nothing, it definitely has. Maybe nothing earth-shattering that rocks the core fundamentals of the gameplay but if you dropped it around launch there is certainly a heck of a lot more to do now than there was then.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It should be free after the lack of content at launch.
Wasn't it content light to begin with though so maybe they felt they need to make up for it

Yeah, but it was always planned to have free content. Not because of financial reasons, but because of gameplay reasons. Every gameplay element they add has to be free, to maintain their progression-free core gameplay. So microtransactions will only be cosmetic, not gameplay changing.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect game pass is what made it possible for this game to have content drop without any mtx. Or they just want to make the game content rich before introducing mtx, seeing how the game was so barebones at launch. But good on them.

Jun 1, 2018
I feel a negative energy surrounding you... ;)

You should check out Summit's streams. You'll see why people find the game fun. Rare has given people the tools to create their own pirating adventure. Every session is different. From stealing Athena's chests from other pirates, teaming up with a galleon to fight a Skull Fort or fighting a Megalodon and sharing the loot with three ships (or not and fight each other after fighting the Meg... haha.)

But SoT is a game you get or you don't. You don't have to like, luckily.

I don't like Halo. Shoot me. ;)
i just looked up more info about it. it has npc ships now? do they shoot on sight? also is there any way to show other ships that you are friendly?

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol I still enjoy people saying SoT has no content as Fortnite continues to take over the world with absolutely nothing but the same game mode over and over

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
The thing that still hasn't happened with the game from what I have seen is getting the risk/reward down right at all. If you're actively doing quests and getting your chests/skulls/chickens/etc you are typically a little more wary to engage in PvP because all of your time is wrapped up in those activities, you have something to lose. On the other side, if you're just going for PvP you have nothing to lose and can just go all out and not really care. To me the game has always been stuck between two worlds and they haven't been able to find a balance between them to bring it all together.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
i would buy the shit out of some pirate pets.

Get to it Rare!

My favourite game of the year.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Active userbase is way too important for this kind of game - everything that could result in people being blocked from content or dropping the game because they cant play with their friends/crew anymore likely isnt worth the cost at this point.

10 months isnt that long either when it comes to games as a service and how long they could keep this going.

So yeah its cool that they havent charged for additional content yet, but at the same time thats whats needed to keep the positive word of mouth going.

That can and will likely still happen.
Publishers usually offer games for very cheap during sales or even for free on XGP/PS+ etc. because they hope that those new customers end up getting the premium DLC down the line that isnt on sale.

Its no rocket science - SoT being a positive exception for now, since its a flagship release doesnt change that fact.

There are no facts with anything, that's the whole point. Game Pass will also get single player games.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
i just looked up more info about it. it has npc ships now? do they shoot on sight? also is there any way to show other ships that you are friendly?

Yes. The NPC ships vary in aggressiveness. Some will attack you, some just sail around the map. Others will emerge from the seas when you are sailing and will attack you. They'll use magic cursed cannonballs to drop your anchor, make you dance or make you drunk.

They've add a flag system with alliances. You have a reaper flag, a rainbow flag, a white flag, etc. to show your mentality. And you can join alliances so you can see each other on the map and you share the loot.