• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic - N/A
Opencritic - 62

Digitally Downloaded - 9/10

Then again, I can't see myself ever removing SNK Heroines from my memory card, because it's ideal for some quick bursts of highly entertaining action. Call it "casual" if you want, but this is the ideal fighting game for me... and who knows? It might well be the start of the new king of fanservicey fighters, what with Dead or Alive 6's stated intention to ease back on that side of things. And Athena really does look stunning in her bikini. I've been waiting many King of Fighters games for that.

Nintendo Life - 7/10

If you're new to fighting games - or you're simply in the market for something that feels like a bona fide arcade fighting experience - there are few titles as easy to pick up as SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy. Its busty and over-sexualised characters might not be to everyone's taste in 2018 - and the use of Dream Finishers definitely won't be of appeal to purists - but look beyond the garish colours and there's a tag-team brawler with real potential, not to mention plenty of hilarity.

Destructoid - 7/10

I mentioned in my Blade Strangers review that there was a place in the market for mid-tier fighting titles. Both the former and SNK Heroines fill that role just fine. Neither of them can break out beyond their linear, stripped-down mechanics, but both titles will provide entertainment, played with friends. Of the two titles, Blade Strangers is definitely the better game, but SNK Heroines is the more accessible, and will very likely go down better with non-fighting game players, though it really should be ten bucks cheaper. If you're on the fence, I'd strongly suggest waiting on a discount.

Though SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy is not the Gals Fighters 2 we may have been hoping for, it is a daft, fast and fun brawler. There is a serious question of longevity to be considered, and veteran players should consider the game's shallow simplicity before purchase. But in a group setting, especially among newcomers, SNK's sisterhood of sluggers will get the job done, looking fabulous while doing so.

Cubed3 - 7/10

There are flashier and more intricate fighting games out there, but SNK Heroines is different - and certainly in a good way. Customisation of the characters is played up, but unlikely to really be truly appealing outside of a few cosmetic items to adorn them with now and again. A few more modes could have really helped bump up the value, but the unique take on tag team combat should ensure this title carves out its own little niche. Tense and tactful matches are what fighting games are all about, and that is most definitely here. It is clear the developers had fun creating this game, so give this one a chance. You'll most likely have fun, too.

Seafoam Gaming - 7/10

In conclusion, SNK Heroines ends up as a fun addition to the fighting genre, with an easy to learn battle system, a decent lineup of characters and a bunch of customization options to decorate your favorite fighters with. Unfortunately, outside of taking the fight online and unlocking all the story mode images, there's barely anything to do in this game outside of endlessly grind for gold and purchase every last title and gallery image out there, with little that you can actually earn by pure skill save for some trophies related to Survival mode and combos. It's absolutely baffling that despite a simpler game like Blade Strangers having some form of a Mission mode, SNK Heroines totally lacks it and doesn't offer much for solo play, despite a solid fighting system. Compared to the other PS4 fighters on the market, this one can only be recommended over the others due to its simplicity and ease of access, or if you're into the fanservice for SNK or certain characters such as Athena, but with King of Fighters XIV also being a fighter with lots of SNK love and an even bigger roster, it's really tough to recommend a game that costs more for less.

Dualshockers - 6.5/10

SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy is a light fare for fighting games, but there is more than enough smart systems to keep fighting game aficionados interested. Even better, the game is a cute entry point for people new to the genre. So long as you aren't expecting a deep combat system or extensive PvP functions, you won't be let down. Either way, the fabulous SNK heroine cast will likely impress–one way or another.

We Got This Covered - 3/5

i'd like to inform you all about how well the online mode plays, but as of writing this review, I was only able to find one opponent, and their connection dropped out on me in the character select screen. I tried finding matches multiple times and at different times of the day without success, so I have my fingers firmly crossed for a boost of available players post-release.

SNK Heroines is an accessible fighting game that's easy to pick up but much harder to put down. Unfortunately, the cast of characters is not very extensive, a disappointment considering the number of female fighters that missed the cut. The 3D character models don't do the hand drawn art justice whatsoever, and the game seems confused as to whether it is providing fans ervice or not. There are worse fighters out there, but SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzyisn't something I can easily recommend to anyone but the most die-hard SNK fighting fans.

Gamespew - 6/10

Like many Switch games, SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy's visuals look great on the small screen, but less so when displayed on a TV. Though that's not to say that it's an eyesore when played in docked mode. Character models and environments are fairly detailed and awash with colour, while hits are accompanied by a plethora of quirky icons that erupt from the point of impact. And don't worry, whether you play in handheld or docked mode, performance is solid.

SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy isn't going to wow you. It's not going to blow you away with its depth or visuals, or just about anything really. It is quite fun though, at least in small doses. If you're after a fighting game that's a bit unusual, and that you can play with just about anyone regardless of their skill level, you'll get something out of it. Just don't go into it expecting any real long-term fun.

Playstation Universe - 4/10

Though pretty to look at, and maybe fun to play for a bit with some friends, the combat system here just isn't meaty enough for any long-term or tournament worthy enjoyment. Really only just for people that still don't have an internet connection, or are just really into this sort of thing.

Gamersheroes - 4/10

The typical suite of options can be found here – those traveling solo can jump into a Versus Mode against the CPU, a Survival Mode, a Training Mode, and a Tutorial Mode. A Story Mode is also present, but it feels somewhat phoned in. It's your typical "characters thrown together into a dream realm and forced to fight one another," but there is a healthy dose of fanservice thrown in for good measure. The seven rounds of fights are pretty bog standard, and most of the cinematics are the same between characters, with only the dialog caught on security cameras changing. Unless you want to hear what Terry Bogard thinks of "her" new body, players will likely have their fill after a single go-around.

Those looking to customize their fighter can certainly do so here. Though it is purely aesthetic, there are hundreds of tweaks players can make to the head, face, back, hips, hands, and legs. It will appease those to like to play dress up, but most changes must be bought with gold earned from playing the game.

An Online Mode is also available, though nobody was online as of this review. There is the ability to wager gold, but the suite of options is a bit limited compared to those found in titles like Street Fighter V.

SNK HEROINES: Tag Team Frenzy quirky design choices ultimately take away from the game. It simply does not have the depth that put The King of Fighters on the map, and the reliance on Dream Finishers and items makes for an experience that feels disjointed and random.

Critical Hit - 3.5/10

The amount of content is anaemic, making Street Fighter V's initial release look bountiful by comparison. The story mode consists of exactly 7 battles and takes just minutes to play through. It's supported by a barebones survival mode, VS battles and training, along with online fights. I've not managed to play online so I can't say how good the netcode is – but it hardly matters because SNK Heroines just isn't worth playing. There's a fair bit of unnecessary aesthetic fluff to unlock, for those who want the already poorly-dressed ladies to wear even worse outfits.

There may or may not be people questioning the game's overt sexualising of women with obvious comparisons to Dead or Alive's Xtreme spinoffs. There may also be people who'll buy this game to get their anime tiddies to own the libs – and that's fine.

They're welcome to waste their money.

Last edited:

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Sad to hear that its an anemic offering of content just like blade strangers or vanilla SF5.

So i guess if i want anime tiddy but at a cheaper price i should just stick to Senran?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expected scores.

SNK should really make their DLC plans and pricing clear.

There is already a DLC crossover character announced (which we don't know if it will be paid or free) and a teaser for another DLC crossover character has been revealed (people think it's girl Skullomania).

Would help ease people's concerns about the roster count.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bummed to hear there isnt much content here as I was pretty excited to pick this up. Guess I'll hold off until it sees some deep discounts

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
After the not so good Blade Strangers,it's a bad month for fighting games on Switch :(

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear that its an anemic offering of content just like blade strangers or vanilla SF5.
I'm genuinely curious what is considered decent content for a fighting game nowadays. From what I recall, Blade Strangers has arcade, tutorials, missions, story mode, online modes. What else should it have had?

After the not so good Blade Strangers,it's a bad month for fighting games on Switch :(
Both of these are on PS4 as well though

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Unfortunately I cancel my preorder due to the low framerate for the Switch. These reviews doesn't help out with this game as well.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always surprised when games like this that could use more content to stretch the experience out a bit don't rely on VN-style story modes with a handful of reaction portraits.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of content is anaemic, making Street Fighter V's initial release look bountiful by comparison.

And there goes my interest. Was hoping that at least the clear focus on it being a gimmick fighter meant some creative offline modes and features to enjoy.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reviews for fighting games are about the least thing that anyone should ever take seriously when it comes to buying them.
Reviewers for some bizarre reason treat NRS content output as the standard for the genre, if it has arcade mode, that's great, anything more than that is an appreciate bonus.

I also think that it's quite hypocritical that T7 was reviewed super well even though it was "lacking" too, but I guess it's easier for reviewers to rip an underdog like SNK a new one.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I want to buy this on release, I don't feel like wasting $50 in something that I'm not sure is going to be played by my friends

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I'm sticking with my preorder. Maybe it's not an ocean of technical fighting systems, but (just like Pocket Rumble and Blade Strangers), this sounds like it'll be a good, approachable title to cut my teeth onto as a fighting game n00b.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
kinda glad i cancelled my preorder last night. Should've cancelled when I read about the nontraditional system. Definitely moreso for people who are fans of SNK characters but not SNK games.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews for fighting games are about the least thing that anyone should ever take seriously when it comes to buying them.
Reviewers for some bizarre reason treat NRS content output as the standard for the genre, if it has arcade mode, that's great, anything more than that is an appreciate bonus.

Not all fans are competitive players. Some prefer broader hooks to retain engagement beyond online or improving chain combo timing.

Its certainly disingenuous to expect Netherealm-esque content overload(which nobody has really expected), but its equally disingenuous to write off some consumers unwilling to spend $50(?) on what is essentially a lobby fighter and raising the demand for a bit more.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lack of content kills my interest unfortunately.

I also think that it's quite hypocritical that T7 was reviewed super well even though it was "lacking" too, but I guess it's easier for reviewers to rip an underdog like SNK a new one.

Not everyone plays fighting games just for the sake of fighting. Yes the gameplay needs to be good but if there's not much surrounding it I'm not going to remain interested for long.

Like it or not for people who aren't hard core fighting game fans NRS IS the standard for the genre.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I'm not getting the SFV launch comparison. That game didn't start off with an arcade nor a story mode.
Would anyone really want an arcade or story mode that takes as long as the one in KOF XIV takes to finish?

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh I'm sticking with my preorder. Maybe it's not an ocean of technical fighting systems, but (just like Pocket Rumble and Blade Strangers), this sounds like it'll be a good, approachable title to cut my teeth onto as a fighting game n00b.

If Switch, cancel it and get it on PS4. The Switch version has framerate issues. Runs at 30 FPS docked and can't stay stable in handheld mode. We've been discussing it here. (The PS4 version is supposed to run at 60 FPS.)

I just uploaded a quick video showing some small examples of the framerate drops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqta4adjgpY

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I swear to god, Digitally Downloaded hand out 9s and 10s to Japanese games like pieces of candy.

The site does, and I know the owner loves Japanese games a lot, particularly these more niche ones. These types of games aren't my bag, but more power to the owner and the site for enjoying them.

JunkerWoland

Jun 8, 2018
NISA locking the physical PS4 release behind their collector's edition pretty much killed my enthusiasm for this game, but while I wasn't expecting amazing review scores, nothing has alleviated my concerns about the base roster seeming skimpy for a more casual fighter and that it feels like I keep seeing the same two or three backgrounds, which themselves already look rather similar. Overall, I worry the $50 price tag is more like a cover charge for the privilege of buying future DLC.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Not all fans are competitive players. Some prefer broader hooks to retain engagement beyond online or improving chain combo timing.

Its certainly disingenuous to expect Netherealm-esque content overload(which nobody has really expected), but its equally disingenuous to write off some consumers unwilling to spend $50(?) on what is essentially a lobby fighter and raising the demand for a bit more.

i'm curious, what's missing that you think should be there, for a spinoff title like this?

Like it or not for people who aren't hard core fighting game fans NRS IS the standard for the genre.

smash would probably be the standard for the genre with that criteria, not nrs output

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Looking like I made the right call by canceling my preorder when I did a few days ago. I realized I still had other games I needed to finish so I decided to wait on the game. The first gameplay I saw of the story mode kinda made me glad I waited. These reviews are telling me I made the right choice in the end sadly. With Smash coming soon I this would have only gotten so much attention. I did the same with Blade Strangers when I was originally interested in that but pull back at the last minute.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was really excited to get this but lack of content is quite a bit of a dealbreaker for a fighter that's billed on it's casual appeal.

Oct 25, 2017
If Switch, cancel it and get it on PS4. The Switch version has framerate issues. Runs at 30 FPS docked and can't stay stable in handheld mode. We've been discussing it here. (The PS4 version is supposed to run at 60 FPS.)

I just uploaded a quick video showing some small examples of the framerate drops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqta4adjgpY

Bummer that's disappointing. Thanks for the heads up. I thought I read (either on era or a review, don't recall) that it ran fine on Switch after a patch.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of content is anaemic, making Street Fighter V's initial release look bountiful by comparison. The story mode consists of exactly 7 battles and takes just minutes to play through. It's supported by a barebones survival mode, VS battles and training, along with online fights. I've not managed to play online so I can't say how good the netcode is – but it hardly matters because SNK Heroines just isn't worth playing. There's a fair bit of unnecessary aesthetic fluff to unlock, for those who want the already poorly-dressed ladies to wear even worse outfits.

Dressing up characters is the main selling point of the game with fighting mechanic as an excuse to bring these SNK girls together.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at least down to earn costume unlocks and accessories.

Another fighting game with shit content on release
What a shock
Yeah I really don't understand what the problem is when you have done the work already to have P1 v. P2 or P1 v. COM, stages and characters, why you don't then just go crazy and expose all sorts of options and modes around that. Seems like the hard work is already done. Project management of fighting games in general these days baffles me.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
i'm curious, what's missing that you think should be there, for a spinoff title like this?

Context.

This is a gimmick fighter using decades of franchise appeal for both new and old audiences. Certainly there is a way to hook players in beyond a simple training and arcade mode before battling online? Arc has raised goodwill with its VN inspired storytelling that links the entire roster together beyond mere superficial aspects. Soul Calibur has long been praised for its challenge missions and bevy of unlocks as you travel across a simple map, learning each character naturally with progression while being rewarded with surprising new challenges. It went over quite well.

Or maybe SNK can find their own niche! Be creative! Expand interest by doing something different. This isn't some pillar title, but something that seemed catered for taking risks. Seems being fed an arcade mode and told to STFU is all we can expect?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I'll keep my pre order as well. I know Switch is apparently filled with frame rate and stability issues, but I like playing games portably when I can so I'll take the plunge.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer that's disappointing. Thanks for the heads up. I thought I read (either on era or a review, don't recall) that it ran fine on Switch after a patch.

I was posting a lot about this yesterday in the other thread. It initially ran horribly docked, then I got prompted to download a patch and it ran better (stable 30 FPS), but was bad in handheld mode. This port was outsourced to Abstract Games and they just couldn't get it up to par with the PS4 version, it seems. Hoping another patch will help things.

To note, I don't think that the game is unplayable and spent hours with it yesterday, but if PS4 runs at 60 FPS (as should expected with a fighting game), there's no reason to get this on Switch, especially when it's not very stable when playing it as a portable game.

It's a bummer- was really looking forward to this on Switch, but oh well- am getting it on PS4 later today. As far as the game itself goes, I think the way it plays and its content are going to turn off a lot players. It really needs a demo.

OP
OP
Jimmyfenix

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
30 fps is disappointing on switch for a fighting game

would have taken a graphical downgrade or other cuts to get it to 60 like other games on the platform

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Game is running on the XIV engine, correct?
I guess they had a lot of trouble porting it. It's absolutely not a visual showcase so I guess there's more going on that is hampering the process

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO the old KoF engine holds very good. Really hate the transition to 3D models. I don't know, maybe a Guilty Gear appounch could do better results.
Anw, expected score, unexpected content.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Just about what I expected from an SNK fighting game review

Will probably get on sale and continue to enjoy KOFXIV, t

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. As far as I can tell, SNK has set the scene for the setting of the game. They've even said it was canon to the mainline story I think.

This is a gimmick fighter using decades of franchise appeal for both new and old audiences. Certainly there is a way to hook players in beyond a simple training and arcade mode before battling online? Arc has raised goodwill with its VN inspired storytelling that links the entire roster together beyond mere superficial aspects. Soul Calibur has long been praised for its challenge missions and bevy of unlocks as you travel across a simple map, learning each character naturally with progression while being rewarded with surprising new challenges. It went over quite well.

So it's not that there was something missing, just that what's there isn't big enough? It sounds like you want a bigger, more fleshed out Story mode? If so, is that really something you were expecting from a smaller, spinoff title like this?

Or maybe SNK can find their own niche! Be creative! Expand interest by doing something different. This isn't some pillar title, but something that seemed catered for taking risks. Seems being fed an arcade mode and told to STFU is all we can expect?

Or no, it seems like you just wanted some new kind of gameplay mode that's different, without being sure of exactly what that is?

But, isn't the base gameplay exactly that?

I think a lot of people probably share your sentiment, though, which is a shame. But, that's exactly why fighters are as niche as they are, devs don't meet the expectations of the general public.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
I fully expect no grassroots supporting this, except the ones with an obvious bias (like those basement and hotel rented halls still running kof14, piggybacking off other titles, only because the tournament organizer is a fan boy, not because it brings legit numbers), never being main slot in anything bigger and all that free advertising leading up to release (character reveals) on aggregate sites like eventhubs/srk etc. having no pay-off post release. No community engagement and activity for the title despite all the free marketing and exposure they gave it.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The switch performance issues seem like a deal killer to me so PS4 (or PC) for sure. Why people expected more than the standard modes for a fighting game, especially a niche fighting game in a niche genre, is beyond me. This game wasn't going to do well sales wise even if they had those things.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story mode has endings for all characters plus combinations, there is a character creation mode as well.
Sure this is not Justicr Gakuen/rival school evolution disk, but nearly nothing is. Costumes are not under dlc paywall.
Performance is not too distracting for me, but still a let down, i would have loved 60fps.