SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
Idk why every time someone commits a crime in Israel, it's the entire country of Israel. The sniper and their commanding officer(s) committed crimes, and they need to be arrested->sent to jail/courtmartialed w/e they do there. Before you quote me, I'm aware this starts at the top - so yeah, other countries need to put sanctions on the Israeli government, so the people get pissed off that their gas prices skyrocket or whatever the fuck, and push for change in their government.

This makes sense without damning an entire country full of diverse people, no?

we're specifically talking and calling out the IDF and the government of Israel for being shit, not the Israeli people as a whole.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not reading an article from a pro-palestine news source, just as I wouldn't read an article from a pro-Israel news source. I bet you anything the radio interview doesn't say anything about specifically shooting children.
Mind posting it then? Because as far as I know, this site never posted fake news. It is Pro Palestine but it never reported anything fake.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe read through the article? The source isn't them. They are merely translating the radio interview.

Who is doing that?

People who say fuck Israel mean it like when a person say fuck USA. As in the government.

we're specifically talking and calling out the IDF and the government of Israel for being shit, not the Israeli people as a whole.

There are some posts on previous pages, but you guys are right most of the discussion is on point. Just saw some replies and got annoyed lol

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not reading an article from a pro-palestine news source, just as I wouldn't read an article from a pro-Israel news source. I bet you anything the radio interview doesn't say anything about specifically shooting children.

Translation: It is much easier to claim fake news than do any type of critical analysis/thinking.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Nothing to see here guys move along.

For the love of god someone sanction this apartheid state

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
There are some posts on previous pages, but you guys are right most of the discussion is on point. Just saw some replies and got annoyed lol

I will add, I believe it to be fair to criticize the people who put the government into power for being complicit, albeit at a much reduced role, and never because of religion, but because they are shitty people (like the people who support trump)

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Translation: It is much easier to claim fake news than do any type of critical analysis/thinking.

So we're not checking our news sources and sensationalist thread titles then. I'm the one to be held accountable because I question a news source of a general saying they order to shoot children?

Fake news doesn't have to be fake, it can also be twisted and exaggerated. Out of 30 people who got killed, 4 were children. Which is still terrible, but your duty is to weed out the bullshit rather than taking what people hand you. Where were you in response to people just accepting this and saying fuck Israel? Those are the irresponsible ones. I'm here to question a news source I've never heard of that's clearly on one side of the equation.

Oct 27, 2017
So we're not checking our news sources and sensationalist thread titles then. I'm the one to be held accountable because I question a news source of a general saying they order to shoot children?
This news source is biased but they never post fake news. You are disproving them but their track record show them to be legitimate.

Mind posting the radio conversation before claiming they are fake news?

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I just don't get the purpose for killing children.
Even if they grow up and become a "threat" to Israel.

The justification offered by the General in the interview was that anyone approaching the fence, including kids, might be doing so "in order to hide an explosive device or check if there are any dead zones there or to cut the fence so someone could infiltrate the territory of the State of Israel to kill us", and that therefore "[their] punishment is death". Which I hope goes without saying is criminal bullshit, but that's the argument he put forth as per the translation linked to in the OP.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will add, I believe it to be fair to criticize the people who put the government into power for being complicit, albeit at a much reduced role, and never because of religion, but because they are shitty people (like the people who support trump)

That's fair. I would also add that those shitty people are afraid because they believe their neighboring countries would annihilate them into dust the first chance they got, so they want conservative/militarizing leaders. Adding to the ever complex issue that is the Middle East.

Whereas, Trump supporters are afraid because of "economic anxiety" lol.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
The damn transcript of the radio interview is directly in the article. It is directly said that if somebody approaches the fence, even children, they can be punished by death.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

First of all the article isn't the source. The source is the radio interview which the article is reporting on. Second of all my whole point is that you're not even checking the source you're just dismissing it as fake news. That is what I am holding you accountable for.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
The damn transcript of the radio interview is directly in the article. It is directly said that if somebody approaches the fence, even children, they can be punished by death.

Then you should know this thread's title is completely sensationalist. I read the transcript.

You might find the difference minor, but here's what the difference is. "The police think its okay to kill women" vs. "The police killed a woman last Saturday night". The first one is the sensationalist title. It fits the bill on its surface, but it's still bullshit if the fact was that one woman got killed. It's an extremely biased interpretation put into a title.

Last edited:

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Then you should know this thread's title is completely sensationalist. I read the transcript.
No, it's not, stop trolling.

Zvika Fogel: Ron, let's maybe look at this matter on three levels. At the tactical level that we all love dealing with, the local one, also at the level of values, and with your permission, we will also rise up to the strategic level. At the tactical level, any person who gets close to the fence, anyone who could be a future threat to the border of the State of Israel and its residents, should bear a price for that violation. If this child or anyone else gets close to the fence in order to hide an explosive device or check if there are any dead zones there or to cut the fence so someone could infiltrate the territory of the State of Israel to kill us …

Nesiel: Then, then his punishment is death?

Fogel: His punishment is death. As far as I'm concerned then yes, if you can only shoot him to stop him, in the leg or arm – great. But if it's more than that then, yes, you want to check with me whose blood is thicker, ours or theirs. It is clear to you that if one such person will manage to cross the fence or hide an explosive device there …

He's saying as long as somebody gets close to the fence it's acceptable to shoot them, even if they're children.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

You might find the difference minor, but here's what the difference is. "The police think its okay to kill women" vs. "The police killed a woman last Saturday night". The first one is the sensationalist title. It fits the bill, but it's still bullshit if the fact was that one woman got killed.

Not the same thing. To correct your analogy it would be: "Police policy kill anybody approaching wall, including children." It wasn't a one-time thing. They would shoot 20 kids if 20 kids approached the fence, no?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
You might find the difference minor, but here's what the difference is. "The police think its okay to kill women" vs. "The police killed a woman last Saturday night". The first one is the sensationalist title. It fits the bill, but it's still bullshit if the fact was that one woman got killed.
The title is "Snipers ordered to shoot children, Israel general confirms", which is completely accurate:

Nesiel: But we were taught that live fire is only used when the soldiers face immediate danger.

Fogel: Come, let's move over to the level of values. Assuming that we understood the tactical level, as we cannot tolerate a crossing of our border or a violation of our border, let's proceed to the level of values. I am not Ahmad Tibi, I am Zvika Fogel. I know how these orders are given. I know how a sniper does the shooting. I know how many authorizations he needs before he receives an authorization to open fire. It is not the whim of one or the other sniper who identifies the small body of a child now and decides he'll shoot. Someone marks the target for him very well and tells him exactly why one has to shoot and what the threat is from that individual. And to my great sorrow, sometimes when you shoot at a small body and you intended to hit his arm or shoulder it goes even higher. The picture is not a pretty picture. But if that's the price that we have to pay to preserve the safety and quality of life of the residents of the State of Israel, then that's the price. But now, with your permission, let us go up one level and look at the overview. It is clear to you that Hamas is fighting for consciousness at the moment. It is clear to you and to me …

Majik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not, stop trolling.

He's saying as long as somebody gets close to the fence it's acceptable to shoot them, even if they're children.

There's a 500m buffer zone. Why would anybody go so close to the fence if it's likely that you would get shot?

I despise the idea of children being shot at but if there's a risk of somebody using children to plant bombs or as suicide bombers themselves (like Boko Haram and ISIS) that would lead to a far greater number of deaths, I'm not sure what you do? Let say a bomb goes off and creates a hole in the fence through which militants can enter Israel and attempt to kill civilians. Even if they don't get very far, the risk to civilians on both sides of the fence becomes unacceptable.

The situation at the border and in Gaza is horrific but what moves can be taken to address it? There are people inside Gaza that want nothing more than to kill Israelis. It isn't a majority and they aren't representative of the wider population, but since the fence was erected and civilian movement has been limited, the bomb attacks on buses in Jerusalem and attacks using bulldozers to mow people down have effectively stopped.

What conflicts between the two sides would have taken place in the past 10 years if Israeli soldiers hadn't been kidnapped and murdered and thousands of rockets and mortars hadn't been fired at civilian populations in Israel? It isn't feasible to just target the militants and you can't invade to take them out and "liberate" Gaza.... look at what happened in the liberation of Basra and Mosul. The civilian death toll was insane.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
What conflicts between the two sides would have taken place in the past 10 years if Israeli soldiers hadn't been kidnapped and murdered and thousands of rockets and mortars hadn't been fired at civilian populations in Israel? It isn't feasible to just target the militants and you can't invade to take them out and "liberate" Gaza.... look at what happened in the liberation of Basra and Mosul. The civilian death toll was insane.

Just looking at the history of recent conflict between the two states and looking at their death counts (especially those of civilians) should alone give you pause.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28439404

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
There's a 500m buffer zone. Why would anybody go so close to the fence if it's likely that you would get shot?

I despise the idea of children being shot at but if there's a risk of somebody using children to plant bombs or as suicide bombers themselves (like Boko Haram and ISIS) that would lead to a far greater number of deaths, I'm not sure what you do? Let say a bomb goes off and creates a hole in the fence through which militants can enter Israel and attempt to kill civilians. Even if they don't get very far, the risk to civilians on both sides of the fence becomes unacceptable.

The situation at the border and in Gaza is horrific but what moves can be taken to address it? There are people inside Gaza that want nothing more than to kill Israelis. It isn't a majority and they aren't representative of the wider population, but since the fence was erected and civilian movement has been limited, the bomb attacks on buses in Jerusalem and attacks using bulldozers to mow people down have effectively stopped.

These things happen if you make an open air prison out of the place where these people live and occupy them. Israels fence can get attacked by Palestinians for how many times they want for all I care, it's on Israel to stop this, not on the people living in Gaza who are sick with how things are and try to at least put up some kind of resistance.

And one side here is the occupier, while the other is not. For every kidnapped Israeli soldier there have been hundreds of Palestinian civilians bombed to death.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Shhhh, don't let anyone know the internatonal community's hypocrisy please
Not to defend anything, but look at the date of the article. It's from almost a decade ago.

On topic, fuck Israel for doing this. It's absolutely infuriating to know that the US will defend them and veto any sanction no matter what they do. Sickening.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's remember this is a liberal leaning forum and you still have some people justifying this, when you add the right and evangelicals is no wonder the US can't cover for Israel fast enough or how someone like Trump that was all cozy with Netanyahu when he was a candidate ended up as president.

Oct 27, 2017
A majority of the Palestinian population is children, Israel already has a standing order to ethnically cleanse the occupied territories.

The Israeli leadership is a fascist blight on the planet which should be destroyed, by any means necessary.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So realistically, if you had the power to do so, what sanctions would you put on Israel right now?

Oct 27, 2017
So realistically, if you had the power to do so, what sanctions would you put on Israel right now?

Divestment of all Int'l investments in Israeli corporations, or those companies with physical locations in Israel.

Suspend all arms purchases and technology transfers, including funds used to purchase US military hardware.

Removal of all artist and student visas for Israeli citizens.

If that has no effect on their slow-motion genocide, then more broad-based sanctions should be imposed.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pro life....Oh except if the child is Arabic, then you can sick the snipers on them.

Deleted member 37235

Good luck on your Sisyphean quest to find a truly "objective" source of news.

Majik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These things happen if you make an open air prison out of the place where these people live and occupy them. Israels fence can get attacked by Palestinians for how many times they want for all I care, it's on Israel to stop this, not on the people living in Gaza who are sick with how things are and try to at least put up some kind of resistance.

And one side here is the occupier, while the other is not. For every kidnapped Israeli soldier there have been hundreds of Palestinian civilians bombed to death.

Sure. The Israeli response is almost always disproportionate, but I understand why they would bomb the launch sites after rockets are launched into Israel and I still don't understand why a 14 year old was so close to the fence given that plenty of innocent civilians have been killed in recent weeks?

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
White supremacy under another religion. There are other nations who would love to have a similare policy. Nothing more to it really.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand why a 14 year old was so close to the fence given that plenty of innocent civilians have been killed in recent weeks?
Because those innocent civilians are in such a bad situation in Gaza that they rather risk dying protesting and resisting than just endure it, would be my guess at least.

Majik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because those innocent civilians are in such a bad situation in Gaza that they rather risk dying protesting and resisting than just endure it, would be my guess at least.

Its exactly that. The odds of any meaningful movement in a positive direction coming out of this protests is so low though that it seems like a waste of a life. I dunno. I just don't think they should even be letting minors go near the fence given the risk.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Good luck on your Sisyphean quest to find a truly "objective" source of news.

Not saying there is one. But do you speak hebrew? Do you know and trust this source? This ain't the New York Times, this is the "Electronic Intifada". Question, always question. If you think I'm saying more than that, then you should question your motives. I think what's going on is horrible, and I think the IDF has to give answers. But this is as close to baseless as it comes, and people here are treating it as factual. You'd think people would be a little more wary these days, yet look at a majority of the posts...it's all immediate reaction. My posts are about reactions to those reactions. So condemn me for thinking differently and continue to feed into hate, or take a step back and try to see things as objectively as you can. I think the latter is more important.

Let's remember this is a liberal leaning forum and you still have some people justifying this, when you add the right and evangelicals is no wonder the US can't cover for Israel fast enough or how someone like Trump that was all cozy with Netanyahu when he was a candidate ended up as president.

I consider myself very liberal, but I still think the immediate liberal reaction mentality here has to be questioned. Things are incredibly split in Israel right now, take reporting news sources with a grain of fucking salt. If you don't think news biases exist on both ends of the spectrum then it shows exactly where you stand. This is not me saying "both sides are equal", they are not. That doesn't change the fact that if you want to be on the correct side, don't play into the same bullshit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Israel doesn't understand. Killing people gives Hamas more power in the region because more and more people will see their families, loved ones, friends and also innocent people killed for no reason and will want to fight back.

I've spoken to a lot of Israeli's due to my step family having lived there for 20 years and while this isn't the case for everyone, there are some people who genuinely view palestinians as sub human, exactly the way the people who persecuted the Jews did throughout WW2. It's like Israel as a country (mainly the government) haven't learnt from the past at all. :(
That's not a bug it's a feature. The rightwing government needs scary outside threats to gin up fear and maintain power. Netanyahu and his cohorts want Hamas to grow.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
"In the war of the civilized man against the savage, side with the civilized man"

The civilized man who picks off children with a sniper rifle.

Disgusted beyond belief.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
The title is "Snipers ordered to shoot children, Israel general confirms", which is completely accurate:

The former general is commenting that that order comes from above as a way of only shooting people that can be considered a threat. Ergo a neutral way of phrasing it would be as such, rather than implying through omission that this is done for cruel/racist reasons. Defending a border against threats is justifiable. But given Israel's past history in their dealings with Palestinians, pretty much everybody should be giving them side-eye over "oh hey we only shoot the kids we think are threats". The one with the power in this scenario, the Israelis, should be showing restraint, and it does not appeae they are doing so.