• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
How long is Breath of Fire?

The table doesn't work here lol but around 18-45 hrs according to the poll

Single-Player-----Average--------Median---------Rushed-------Leisure
Main Story---------25h 22m------25h---------------18h 47m-----29h 35m
Main + Extras----29h 10m------30h----------------21h 47m----37h 17m
Completionists--31h 15m-----30h 44m -------28h-------------34h 56m
All PlayStyles-----29h-------------30h----------------20h 56m-----37h 15m

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It needs to be said that alttp is one of the worst Zelda games and not very fun.

f3b56878-0e19-4066-9ceqkjw.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why people are acting so shocked at that guy's LTTP opinion. Puzzle and dungeon design have come a long way since then, and the series has constantly been at the forefront of things like environmental puzzle design and puzzle variety. There's a whole lot of pushing blocks around (slowly) in LTTP that is mostly gone by the time you get to the N64 era, and puzzles have only gotten better from there.

World design and exploration are the strengths of LTTP, but I think a lot of what else that game did well back in the day have consistently been done better across the rest of the Zelda series.

Oct 25, 2017
I am bewildered that we got that shitty soccer game on NES and this shitty one on SNES, but we never got the amazing and awesome Nintendo World Cup Soccer on NES Online.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Brawl Brothers is pretty cool, the comic book hit effects are a nice touch.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
While I appreciate the idea that Super Metroid has these moves you apparently can do from the start (?) but you don't meet NPCs that show you how to do them until later, that being said...

This wall jump is garbage and if I was reviewing the game I would actually dock points from it because of it. And dont even come @ me with "it's a classic bro" comments :p

Game itself is fantastic tho, I feel it totally holds up today (garbage wall jump aside).

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of Fire does many things better than Breath of Fire 2, it is a charming simple jrpg that punches above its weight. I don't get the below average takes, it is a super replayable and a fun adventure across interesting worlds, plus the dragon transformations and character fusion are both implemented better than the sequel. It is well worth somebodys time for 20 hours.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Breath of Fire does many things better than Breath of Fire 2, it is a charming simple jrpg that punches above its weight. I don't get the below average takes, it is a super replayable and a fun adventure across interesting worlds, plus the dragon transformations and character fusion are both implemented better than the sequel. It is well worth somebodys time for 20 hours.
I played through the intro and it seems charming enough, but it's so slow. I don't think I can get into something with old-school random battles anymore.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the intro and it seems charming enough, but it's so slow. I don't think I can get into something with old-school random battles anymore.

If you are not fond of old school jrpgs, it will be a tough go around I guess, but so will BoF 2. I think BoF does a lot better job than people are saying, personally, it is fun.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I played and beat Breat of Fire for the first time about five years ago and, aside from my love for 16 bit RPGs, I had zero nostalgia, since I had never played a BOF game.

Well, I really, really enjoyed it. Since it's done by Capcom, it's a bit different from other RPGs of the time when it comes to the graphics and the music, and I appreciate that a lot. After I beat it, I instantly started BOF2 and it's even better.
Your opinion matched mine on phantasy star so I trust it on this(even if I look forward to the addition of the sequel more)
Got any beginner's tips?

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Demon's Crest is pretty good even if I'm trucking along in the gametby abusing the rewind function.

Unwillingly got the bad ending pretty fast, I immediately restarted to try to get the "good" ending.

Oct 25, 2017
If you are not fond of old school jrpgs, it will be a tough go around I guess, but so will BoF 2. I think BoF does a lot better job than people are saying, personally, it is fun.

Just for some perspective, which 16-bit RPGs released in English do you consider it better than?

I'd put it above Phantasy Star 3, for example, and I haven't played jank like Secret of the Stars or Paladin's Quest or Vay, but pretty much any of the other major franchise players I'd put head of it.

Apr 21, 2018
On the Nintendo website it says this about the snes controllers:
Super Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers are compatible with Nintendo Switch software titles that require only the directional buttons and A/B/X/Y/L/R Buttons, such as Super Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online.

Which is different from what it says about the NES controllers:
Please note: Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers can only be used while detached from the Nintendo Switch system, and only to play NES – Nintendo Switch Online games

https://www.nintendo.com.au/

So that sounds promising.

Great news. Looks like I'm ordering!

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I am bewildered that we got that shitty soccer game on NES and this shitty one on SNES, but we never got the amazing and awesome Nintendo World Cup Soccer on NES Online.
I hope we get International super star soccer eventually. The GOAT soccer game of the 90s. Hope it's not one of those games that are very difficult to re-release due to license issues for being a sports game or Konami's bullshit.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
We don't really have any idea when controllers will be up for purchase, except it will be between now (where they are not up) and Sept 18th (where they begin shipping).

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Just for some perspective, which 16-bit RPGs released in English do you consider it better than?

I'd put it above Phantasy Star 3, for example, and I haven't played jank like Secret of the Stars or Paladin's Quest or Vay, but pretty much any of the other major franchise players I'd put head of it.

I'm only arguing the claim it is below average.

If you are only limiting to ones translated overseas than it sits comfortably with Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Paladin's Quest. It is not on the level of Inindo: Way of the Ninja or Robotrek as it is far more charming than those adventures.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
No shame using rewind with this fucking joy-con drift nonsense. Samus is starting to fight against me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Which games they can realistically add to the service do you see coming along?

Guessing we won't get the likes of Mega Man X due to the collections.
I could see most of Capcom and Konami's(And by extension Hudsonsoft) backlogs that aren't in collections, like legend of the mystical ninja(well 2 and 3 as well but maybe not japan only since we got super Puyo Puyo?)
First party most of the stuff is fair game, heck maybe even super scope if they feel like making them touch and jog on compatible

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get International super star soccer eventually. The GOAT soccer game of the 90s. Hope it's not one of those games that are very difficult to re-release due to license issues for being a sports game or Konami's bullshit.

Oh yeah, those were really good games back in the day. I always forget about the pre-PES soccer games, but you are dead on.

It bums me out how licensing issues with the leagues and player's associations are going to keep a lot of good sports games off of these services:

• Tecmo Super Bowl
  • Tecmo Super Bowl III
  • NBA Jam
  • NBA Live '95
  • NHL Hockey '94
  • International Superstar Soccer
  • Tecmo Super Baseball
  • Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB (well, maybe they can pay Griffey a small sum for this one since it didn't have either MLB or MLBPA licensing, IIRC).

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
The fine print in the direct video said they start shipping on September 18th, so my guess would be preorders will open next week.

Or maybe you won't be able to order them until the 18th.
Really interested in one. But I don't know how to get them shipped to Thailand. Anyone had any luck with the NES ones?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Oh yeah, those were really good games back in the day. I always forget about the pre-PES soccer games, but you are dead on.

It bums me out how licensing issues with the leagues and player's associations are going to keep a lot of good sports games off of these services:

• Tecmo Super Bowl
  • Tecmo Super Bowl III
  • NBA Jam
  • NBA Live '95
  • NHL Hockey '94
  • International Superstar Soccer
  • Tecmo Super Baseball
  • Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB (well, maybe they can pay Griffey a small sum for this one since it didn't have either MLB or MLBPA licensing, IIRC).
Damn! Those are some awesome sport games, and so varied too. NBA Jam being my absolute favorite and ISSS the Deluxe version my close second. But yeah those freaking licences might stop us from enjoying them on the Switch :(

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC, ISS didn't have the licenses for the players so that shouldn't be an issue. We'll see.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Emulation seems fine but its baffling that Nintendo doesn't allow users to have black borders on the side. They got this right with the Mini so what happened here?

Also the CRT filter is disappointing. I get that its trying to emulate composite but they should have allowed for a couple of more options like a PVM or EU CRT RGB look.
Now it just looks bad.

Thankfully they didn't add the options allowing people to stretch to 16:9. (Seriously obsession with making 4:3 content be 16:9 needs to stop)

Otherwise this is good overall, with more amazing games hopefully to come in the near future.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm with the switch over to regular from monthly makes me think they'll switch to more focused and themed. Leading up to the holidays we'll definitely still have monthly releases(although things may quiet down after December) but they may be heavier or focused. Like dropping a group of third party platformers like The legend of the mystical ninja and Sparkster, or the complete DKC Trilogy or a JRPG drop(SMRPG, BoF2, etc), or heck even a super scope group(since they own the major ones).

I would rule it out

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
They really should have a shortcut to the manuals. Took me some googling to realise that 5 missiles open a red door in Super Metroid

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
So I have a SNES Classic console sitting in a box, brought it at launch, and it was kept by the TV for 12 months or so........is it just worth getting rid of now for half the price of which I purchased it for?

Loving having these SNES games on Switch though, so easy to just jump in and play at any moment.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Online input latency is super impressive. Unlike the NES one, you forget you're even playing online after just a few minutes.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
Is there less lag with the SNES app? I went back and played the same section of SMW on the SNES Classic and im sure that I had lag that I didn't get while playing the SNES app.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I'm only arguing the claim it is below average.

If you are only limiting to ones translated overseas than it sits comfortably with Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Paladin's Quest. It is not on the level of Inindo: Way of the Ninja or Robotrek as it is far more charming than those adventures.
You have not actually played Robotrek if you are saying it isn't charming.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This app is great. I wonder what the chances are of getting the RARE games... DKC 1,2,3 and Killer Instinct etc. Would Microsoft have to green light that?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Pilotwings is a joy now with the rewind feature. No more annoying just-barely-not-landings. But the hangglider is still annoying. The rest of the game holds up surprisingly well for an arcade-y flight sim on a primarily 2d system.

Status
Not open for further replies.