• Poll closed .
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
And yes, with regards to the SD3 gamma thing, this is because the only Preset ID that is known to set hi-res mode for games and not cause a C7 is Super Picross's 0x1016. The side effect of this PID is that any hi-res region of the screen has increased gamma. Nintendo probably did that for a reason related to Super Picross, which means we can't stop it from happening with other games that we use the PID on. We haven't found any other PID that sets hi-res without adding gamma and that works on all games.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like sluffy (reading his latest post) is starting to feel overwhelmed with requests, should probably chill and appreciate the fixes he has provided so far and let him get to them whenever he has time. He fixed my wanted game so I'm pretty happy with what he's done.

I don't see any indication from his posts that he's overwhelmed?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So... Where do the original 21 games show up on Daphie's fork? In the original hakchi2 they have a separate section, but there's nothing like that in this one and as a result I can't select them to "add" them.

Now, I probably made a mistake, because when I first used it I pasted my regular hakchi2 games_snes folder before even flashing the custom kernel, so maybe I overwrote something.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
While everyone was bickering and whining and stomping their feet, Cluster was hard at work on his tool all the same. Poor guy, to be vilified by the community he helped pave way for

I still appreciate you and your work, ClusterM

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Nah, he took a massive break, he's only just started work on it again now. But now his likely additions have already been done.

And remember, his tool is also just a progression of madmonkey's tool, Cluster wasn't the creator.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well aware, doesn't take away from what I said though

Without Cluster's tool there would be no SFROM Tool or Hakchi CE or Daphie or anyone who's contributed to this whole thing

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, he took a massive break, he's only just started work on it again now. But now his likely additions have already been done.

And remember, his tool is also just a progression of madmonkey's tool, Cluster wasn't the creator.

What are the odds that cluster merges his improvements into the CE project? I'm concerned about their being development on multiple forks.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I dunno, he's never seemed the type to share. He doesn't even accept suggestions. The hints about what he's done with hakchi on his Twitter account are things the community and TeamShinkansen have already done themselves at this point.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Use Hakchi2 CE rather than Daphie's fork.

It'll sort things out. Otherwise choose the reset games menu item. You can choose to have the original games listed at the top, bottom, or in with all the other games.

I also saw that somebody has started a Mac port of hakchi2! https://github.com/escsequence/hakchi2_4mac

Should be right at the top (listed individually). But there's a setting in the "View" menu to put them elsewhere, too.
Hmm nothing worked so I had to go back to original hakchi2 to sort it out quickly (it was a relative's mini and he was on a hurry), but it's my fault because I had originally re-added all of the 21 games to be able to customize the cover art, so I had no way to know in daphie's if the ones showing up were the OG ones or the re-added ones haha.

Guess I'll try to sort it out more calmly later because I want to be able to edit the cover art of the OG ones without having to re-add them and I heard daphie's fork has an option for that.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
There's multiple forks of many types of software, what's the issue? If Cluster doesn't want to take suggestions then everyone moves to CE and move on.

Hey quickly someone recommend me a javascript library to use for my project

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
While everyone was bickering and whining and stomping their feet, Cluster was hard at work on his tool all the same. Poor guy, to be vilified by the community he helped pave way for

I still appreciate you and your work, ClusterM

hahahahaha! no.

Everyone moved on and progressed things forward after he took a much to early extended break, leaving so much to be desired. He's literally only messed with hakchi2 recently, and only doing redundant work that TeamShinkansen has already done or is working on.

His work should be appreciated, yes, but as just a small step of a larger communal effort, but instead gets over credited despite putting in little more then a couple days of work several months ago.

Well aware, doesn't take away from what I said though

Without Cluster's tool there would be no SFROM Tool or Hakchi CE or Daphie or anyone who's contributed to this whole thing

For sfrom tool, maybe a yes and a no. I was forced to make my tool because of his unwillingness to accept help/advice/collaborate. That's not something he should be getting a positive crediting for. That's like saying someone crapping on the sidewalk is helping by creating jobs for people to clean it up. lol

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but I still appreciate that Cluster gave us the starting point in allowing us to crack open our devices. That's all

Yes, and that includes madmonkey as well

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth, I'm also getting a C8 error when I create and patch Seiken Densetsu 3 via the SFROM tool. I use a clean ROM with the proper checksums + Robin's patch, but it only boots up a black screen. I have to turn off the device, which produces a C8 error. I'm using folders, and there are only about 15 games in that folder.

Oddly, the same thing happens if I create an .sfrom of the game *without* the english translation.
Exactly the same is happening to me. Didn't test making as sfrom without a translation patch though.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Nope. It's really a C8. Can't explain why. Both roms are in the 'unsorted' folder. Everything else is organised in separate folders. Not more than 32 roms in one folder.

Have you tried again since I posted that I found the cause of SD3 being made incorrectly? Just grab the zip again with the new file in, and delete database.xml before opening the ROM again.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Holy crap... these advancements are awesome. Must resist updating anything. Must wait till it all settles with bugs ironed out!!! With patches for Uniracers and S.O.S being a "happy - break out the champagne, the ultimate SNES machine is soon upon us" news for me, it's making the patience hard to stand by.

Oct 28, 2017
Have you tried again since I posted that I found the cause of SD3 being made incorrectly? Just grab the zip again with the new file in, and delete database.xml before opening the ROM again.
And it's working!! Making a translated sfrom of SD3 needed your updated patches. Enjoy everyone. :)

From my testing only Bahamut Lagoon is left. Could it be the same problem? Process leading to error is the same like SD3.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
And it's working!! Making a translated sfrom of SD3 needed your updated patches. Enjoy everyone. :)

From my testing only Bahamut Lagoon is left. Could it be the same problem? Process leading to error is the same like SD3.

Actually Bahamut Lagoon requires the VC patch from the SFROM Tool page to work. Without it I was getting a C8, too, but it works fine with it.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Right. Figured out Bahamut Lagoon. What a slog! The game itself is very picky, but what doesn't help is that the translation is for a HEADERED ROM. Argh!

So firstly, here's a translation patch for an unheadered ROM: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IBftTMSFnPOuN8Iv4jAx4CeFCLkM8TlI
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IBftTMSFnPOuN8Iv4jAx4CeFCLkM8TlI
Now you need to use both the VC patch and this patch, BUT you must also set the Preset ID in the Advanced window to 0000. It won't run using 108F, which is Lagoon's normal ID.

Oct 28, 2017
Right. Figured out Bahamut Lagoon. What a slog! The game itself is very picky, but what doesn't help is that the translation is for a HEADERED ROM. Argh!

So firstly, here's a translation patch for an unheadered ROM: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IBftTMSFnPOuN8Iv4jAx4CeFCLkM8TlI
Now you need to use both the VC patch and this patch, BUT you must also set the Preset ID in the Advanced window to 0000. It won't run using 108F, which is Lagoon's normal ID.
Aargh... I used IPSbehead to prepare the patch for an unheadered rom but left the normal PID 108F. As usual, thanks for your support!

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
Aargh... I used IPSbehead to prepare the patch for an unheadered rom but left the normal PID 108F. As usual, thanks for your support!

Robin64 brought me up to speed with the issue, and yea. I've figured out that it WILL work with the beheadered translation and 0x108F, but that would require a different application order of the 2 involved patches. VC patches are always applied first, but in this case needs to be applied after the translation.

I'll be thinking of a way to address this issue in some way.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap... these advancements are awesome. Must resist updating anything. Must wait till it all settles with bugs ironed out!!! With patches for Uniracers and S.O.S being a "happy - break out the champagne, the ultimate SNES machine is soon upon us" news for me, it's making the patience hard to stand by.
Yeah, I've been on holiday for two weeks watching from the sidelines so its been easy to hold out (though now I'm back home, I'll have to continue to stay strong). A lot of it is going over my head, but I really appreciate what everyone is doing here.

Oct 28, 2017
Robin64 brought me up to speed with the issue, and yea. I've figured out that it WILL work with the beheadered translation and 0x108F, but that would require a different application order of the 2 involved patches. VC patches are always applied first, but in this case needs to be applied after the translation.

I'll be thinking of a way to address this issue in some way.
Puh, that's great although it's starting to get trickier step by step. First look for the right rom, prepare the (older) translation patches, apply them in the right succession...

Don't get me wrong! You, Robin and a lot of people are doing a hell of a job here and I love every part of it, but for new people coming in it's probably becoming more and more difficult to keep pace. Anyway, looking forward to your new ideas. :)

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Puh, that's great although it's starting to get trickier step by step. First look for the right rom, prepare the (older) translation patches, apply them in the right succession...

Don't get me wrong! You, Robin and a lot of people are doing a hell of a job here and I love every part of it, but for new people coming in it's probably becoming more and more difficult to keep pace. Anyway, looking forward to your new ideas. :)

Oh it would all be done automatically. A newcomer would have less trouble than you've had with it. As I said before, really, we as a community are pretty advanced and on the forefront of this sort of thing, so we're seeing the initial bugs and tweaks and all the gritty early stuff so that it can be ironed out for everyone else.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Total neophyte question here, but maybe someone can help me out.

In the guide to get this going, OP says "use DarkAkuma's .sfrom Tool to create files from your ROMs" but how do I "use" it? I opened the tool, and now what? I went to Open ROM but it didn't find my ROMs that I have. I'm missing a step here. Sorry if this has been asked before, but there's a whole lot of pages in this topic.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh it would all be done automatically. A newcomer would have less trouble than you've had with it. As I said before, really, we as a community are pretty advanced and on the forefront of this sort of thing, so we're seeing the initial bugs and tweaks and all the gritty early stuff so that it can be ironed out for everyone else.
That sounds good in a lot of ways. What we are probably missing to make it even easier would be a collection of already prepared (translation) patches. Just a simple step but you can ultimately ruin all your preparations by applying a wrong/old patch unto an otherwise perfectly fine rom.

Oct 28, 2017
Total neophyte question here, but maybe someone can help me out.

In the guide to get this going, OP says "use DarkAkuma's .sfrom Tool to create files from your ROMs" but how do I "use" it? I opened the tool, and now what? I went to Open ROM but it didn't find my ROMs that I have. I'm missing a step here. Sorry if this has been asked before, but there's a whole lot of pages in this topic.
Did you navigate to the folder containing your roms? They have to be unzipped and in .sfc or .smc format.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
We have briefly discussed repackaging some translations as .cnps for SFROM Tool but ultimately didn't feel good about that. Plus it would lead to things like people arguing over which translation is the best one to do, and people crying that their favourite game isn't covered. IPS patches are always going to be a bit tricky and require some user knowledge, which is currently true with standard patching methods anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
We have briefly discussed repackaging some translations as .cnps for SFROM Tool but ultimately didn't feel good about that. Plus it would lead to things like people arguing over which translation is the best one to do, and people crying that their favourite game isn't covered. IPS patches are always going to be a bit tricky and require some user knowledge, which is currently true with standard patching methods anyway.
Yes, I can see your point. Maybe just adding a hint to IPSbehead and the necessity to prepare your patches rather than your (hopefully clean) roms in the OP should do the trick.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I've been on holiday for two weeks watching from the sidelines so its been easy to hold out (though now I'm back home, I'll have to continue to stay strong). A lot of it is going over my head, but I really appreciate what everyone is doing here.

Stay strong. We can do it!

Thanks Robin for all these updates!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sluffy posted a possible fix for Mario's Time Machine. Robin64 maybe you can figure out how to make a patch from his findings?

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well that went mostly great. Only ran into a couple problems.

- ActRaiser 2 just shows a black screen after the enix logo and won't do anything else.
- Dragon Quest 1+2 just shows the black screen. I tried the slowdown patch too and same thing. Maybe I'm messing up the translation patch.

Not too bad for a first try!

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I'm trying to understand what's going on here. You guys are making patches to work with the SFROM tool so that there's just basically a patch that fires off when you make an SFROM for your games if it needs it?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Sluffy posted a possible fix for Mario's Time Machine. Robin64 maybe you can figure out how to make a patch from his findings?

I made a patch, it was just one small change.

You can try my IPS here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10IfCAmBuBSe-RIoK80zaB-DbYyZKPy1c/view

I tested it and the mushrooms don't disappear in the minigame. I went up to several mushrooms and they didnt vanish.

Hakchi gave me the warning that the game wouldnt work but we all know that certainly isnt true, so just click "No"