• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
I added SMW and All-Stars because Nintendo sort of merged the two, making a new title screen, integrating SMW into the game selection, and updating SMW with new Luigi stuff. Is Extertainment Mountain Bike Rally + Speed Racer more than just a simple multi ROM boot cart? That will decide if it's worth adding or not.
Hmmmm good point, it at the very least would need a unique menu screen to choose between the two games. I cant check right now, but ill check later and see what they did with it. On a side note, I didn't realize they did a packaged release for the SMW + all stars cart :O https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mari...212197?hash=item2f10f8ede5:g:z~8AAOSwv-ZaMwZE

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm good point, it at the very least would need a unique menu screen to choose between the two games. I cant check right now, but ill check later and see what they did with it. On a side note, I didn't realize they did a packaged release for the SMW + all stars cart :O https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mari...212197?hash=item2f10f8ede5:g:z~8AAOSwv-ZaMwZE

The cart was definitely a legit sku. It was bundled with consoles near the end of the Super NES's lifespan as the "Mario Set".
The game selection screen just has SMW in with the rest. It was basically SMW shoved into the SM All-Stars cart.

You can see it here in this vid:

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Total noob here. So DarkAkuma's tool is supposed to turn .sfc into another file format that can be perfectly emulated by SNES classic's internal default emulator? Is the google spreadsheet list in the OP related to this tool's usage in any way?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Both are playable. Terra requires a patch and Gaia needs to have a new Preset ID. Not sure if the situation's changed since that new tool debuted.

EDIT: had to refresh my memory by looking at the 2nd post of this thread, but both require specific patches to get running... thought I remembered something about a Preset ID though but I might be thinking about another problem game. I can confirm Gaia works, the only issue being a graphic bug on the main title menu but that's the only place it exists. I've played up to Wateria and the game works fine. quick edit: actually there's some slowdown on the mode 7 map when your traveling companions rise above 4 or 5 that might be more exaggerated on the classic than real hardware if I can trust my memory

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I added SMW and All-Stars because Nintendo sort of merged the two, making a new title screen, integrating SMW into the game selection, and updating SMW with new Luigi stuff. Is Extertainment Mountain Bike Rally + Speed Racer more than just a simple multi ROM boot cart? That will decide if it's worth adding or not.

In my opinion it shouldn't matter if it's a simple multi boot cart. If it had an actual physical release, then it should count. Multi boots are not common in SNES games, but there are a bunch of official multi-boot carts for GBC that aren't even properly emulated yet, so it's possible this bike multiboot game has some emulation quirk that could render it unplayable and in my opinion it should be documented.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

This is a fake, a reproduction. SMW+AS only come out as a loose cart bundled with a SNES in the USA. There was a boxed version in Europe though.

I can tell right away when a USA box is authentic or not, and this is not. Unfortunately, I cannot say what I use to detect them because then the fakers will fix it and it will be hard for me and others to know when a box is legit or not.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Total noob here. So DarkAkuma's tool is supposed to turn .sfc into another file format that can be perfectly emulated by SNES classic's internal default emulator? Is the google spreadsheet list in the OP related to this tool's usage in any way?

No, it turns roms into copies of their Virtual Console releases, or what they would be if released on VC, but that doesn't mean the SNESC will emulate them all perfectly.

I was curious, is there any effort to make Terranigma or Illusion of Gaia playable, or is that just not doable?

Guess you never read the OP?

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion it shouldn't matter if it's a simple multi boot cart. If it had an actual physical release, then it should count. Multi boots are not common in SNES games, but there are a bunch of official multi-boot carts for GBC that aren't even properly emulated yet, so it's possible this bike multiboot game has some emulation quirk that could render it unplayable and in my opinion it should be documented.
I tend to agree, there are only 2 US combo carts from the list, so might as well count them. And good to know on the fake box. I thought it might be fake only because I would have seen one by now elsewhere, but wasn't too sure.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
That feeling when trying to fix the Alien 3 problem by editing the cursor to use the same palette as the stuff that displays (it's worth a try) but finding every graphic in the ROM aside from the one you need. Sigh.

sww4Tob.png

Edit: Okay, so I searched the ROM for all pallette entries matching that grey, changed them to red, and now the cursor won't display at all in the PC emulator. I am not a smart man.

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I don't see why Retroarch wouldn't handle it, but maybe others know more info on this than I do.

So using the Kirby's Dreamland 3 Preset ID, the font looks correct! By, uh, doing this:

qi4C4Hd.png

:(

Annoyingly, it came out on the Wii U VC in Japan, which means it has an official Preset ID. It's just that nobody has figured out what it is yet. What we really need is someone with a Japanese Wii U to grab the game, then dump it so we can comb it for the ID and any VC patch Nintendo used. Chances are we need that VC patch too.

Is there a current list of Preset IDs? Or a dump of them?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question probably but did anyone try Link to the Past's Preset ID on Marvelous? If I recall correctly that game used the same engine as LTTP didn't it?

EDIT: More specifically, the JP version's Preset ID?

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and I know its been said, but thanks for putting this list together. Its awesome seeing that easy to read wall of green, yellow and red (mostly green thankfully) without all the nonsense of the other sheet.

EDIT: Ahhh so the English version works, ill have to check it out and see if the fonts thing gets on my nerves too much.

Oct 25, 2017
Super Baseball Simulator 1.000: Doesn't fit in Canoe's display area. Other sheet says to hex-edit so maybe a patch can be made instead

Here's a patch for Super Baseball Simulator 1.000. It was actually the exact same one as Tetris & Dr Mario.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RzOFmqoNjWuwHfqnSnrxCV0msexmo_r2

Glad to see another person playing 'Super Baseball Simulator 1.000'!

I was loading games onto my SNES Classic the other month and noticed that both 'Tetris & Dr. Mario' and 'Super Baseball Simulator 1.000' had an overscan problem.

I found the solution for 'Tetris & Dr. Mario' on reddit and checked to see if the fix would work for 'Super Baseball Simulator 1.000' and it did!

I added that edit to the old compatibility list so I'm very happy to see that it has helped someone else :-)

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Cannondale Cup and Extertainment Mountain Bike Rally are apparently the same game according to Wikipedia and GameFaqs. Wikipedia says Cannondale cup is the US name, but Extertainment MBR also has a US release. Maybe the EMBR is the life fitness system version and Cannondale Cup works without it?

EDIT: Yep it says right on the back of the Cannondale Cup box that its a "derivative of" Mountain Bike Rally, so I guess they are both legit US releases.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yep. Though they have different title screens, Cannondale Cup and Mountain Bike Rally are identical once you are past that. At least, I couldn't spot a single difference. And both are playable with a controller.
The multi-ROM of MBR+Speed Racer, though, does not allow you to play with the controller, even in the MBR portion which you can do in the standalone.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

zeomax

Oct 28, 2017
Can somebody, who has ftp access, post the config files inside the etc/udev and etc/sdl2 folders?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Anyone familiar with Eek! The Cat? On the SNES Mini, I thought the brightness/gamma of the whole game was way too low, but then I loaded it in SNES9X on the PC and it was the same. Is it really meant to look like this?

KPabuwL.png

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Anyone familiar with Eek! The Cat? On the SNES Mini, I thought the brightness/gamma of the whole game was way too low, but then I loaded it in SNES9X on the PC and it was the same. Is it really meant to look like this?

KPabuwL.png
Not familiar at all but, isn't Higan on PC supposed to be console accurate?
If need be, I can verify on a real SNES tomorrow.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, it's the same in Higan too. It seems that in the conversion from Sleepwalker to Eek, someone done goofed up the colours a bit.

68209-sleepwalker-amiga-screenshot-filling-in-the-gaps-in-a-collapsed.png

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Never use ZSNES to test anything for accuracy. That emulator is severely outdated.

fakeronjan

Oct 28, 2017
got a snes mini for xmas and just go around to playing it. by using the op guide will it play NES games? I basically want to put the NES classic games on my SNES

I was able to experiment with this and it worked really well. I was able to set up dual-boot for both a SNES Classic on a NES Classic and vice versa. Did you find resources?

I just ordered one of the wireless 8bitdo adapters for my wireless SFC30. It was just hanging around not getting much use so I figured what the hell. Anyone else use those yet?

Mine just arrived - I think they're amazing! Almost no lag, great feel, d-pad which is always the sketchiest thing about 3rd-party controllers feels nearly perfect. I got one NA SNES version and one Super Famicom version.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Oddly, Red October has the same overscan issue as a few other games, but they've all been fixed by finding "8D 33 21" near the beginning of the ROM and changing the 8D to a 9C. So far it has worked for every overscan game, but Red October doesn't have those values, nor the ones surrounding them that the other games have.

Oct 28, 2017
Just a short addition for the compatibility sheet:

- the English Translation for Front Mission is working (no specific preset ID needed)
- both Lufia games are working (no specific preset ID needed)

I left according comments on the sheet.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a really obvious question but if I save a copy of the Google Docs file to my drive, will the one in my drive update when the original changes?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I know it shouldn't exist, but has there been any movement on hacks to get 4 player support at all?

I know with DarkAkuma's tool you can create SFROMS with 4 player support. And ther's an adapter to hook up original SNES controllers so you can physically plug in a 4 player adapter. To my knowledge though nobody has tested it

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
There are two problems with going through all these games in order.

Firstly, I keep finding hidden gems and wanting to sit playing them all day. But that won't get the job done.
But secondly, I am exposing myself to so much crap. Often I want to label the game as "Working, but you'd wish it didn't".

Probably a really obvious question but if I save a copy of the Google Docs file to my drive, will the one in my drive update when the original changes?

Don't think so, no.

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played through a large chunk of Mystical Ninja with a friend. Sad it glitches out. Does anyone know a workaround?

We did manage to have a blast playing Sanrio World Smash Ball. That game is so good.