• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
if i want to run as many games as possible on canoe, which is the more up to date list to use as a reference this one or this one?
i wish there was an up to date guide for this, i have so many questions. for example if i want to run super famicom games on canoe, should i first apply the translation patch and then use the sfrom tool? do i need to use sfrom tool at all if i use the newest version of hakchi? i've also read posts on reddit suggesting to patch everything manually. getting to run my collection on canoe and then testing everything feels like such a daunting task.

The first link is updated by me personally as I see things so use that if you want an "up to date" listing. There hasnt been any real big changes and probably wont be so consider it final.

If you are familiar with patching games (translations, romhacks) then just do it all manually. If not, the sfrom tool should do 90% of the work for you. I personally do everything manually.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
Indeed the first link is the most up to date list, basically because, outside demi's work to follow later news, it also mentions some later issues reported by some occasional contributors (like me) and sometimes basic solutions (preset ID to apply). The second list, made by Robin64 don't take account these "minor discoveries". This first list is also interesting to put the good informations on your hakchi's configuration. By default, and especially in the latest CE versions, where it became a real problem, hakchi put, most of time, wrong informations about if this is a game for one or 2 players (or 2 players simultaneously), internal save or not, and the date is often incorrect : all the correct informations to complete your configuration are on this list (you have to make the correction manually of course)

However, Robin seems to have noticed some internet links towards some IPS patches have begun to die on the first list. I personally didn't verified that point. But, you will have at least 95 to 99% of these IPS patches alive on the Robin (second) list, since he have stored them in his own storage, so it's also worthful to refer to this list too. In all cases all IPS patches available inside the 2 lists are exactly the same one, so don't be disturbed by this point ;)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
However, Robin seems to have noticed some internet links towards some IPS patches have begun to die on the first list. I personally didn't verified that point. But, you will have at least 95 to 99% of these IPS patches alive on the Robin (second) list, since he have stored them in his own storage, so it's also worthful to refer to this list too. In all cases all IPS patches available inside the 2 lists are exactly the same one, so don't be disturbed by this point ;)

What links are bad? Every google link is my own personal google drive - with a few exceptions

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I don't know, I refer to a reddit comment seen few weeks ago. On the compatibility sheet, I hosted a very few links in my own personal google drive too : I've seen no problem on my side.

EDIt : ok found it : https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...usion_of_gaiatime_on_snes_mini_with_hackchi2/

No idea if the sheet had working links or not, I was going by links dying in the romhacking thread.

Mostly wanted to get what I had out of the .cnp format because let's face it nobody used those, support didn't go far enough.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
The first link is updated by me personally as I see things so use that if you want an "up to date" listing. There hasnt been any real big changes and probably wont be so consider it final.

If you are familiar with patching games (translations, romhacks) then just do it all manually. If not, the sfrom tool should do 90% of the work for you. I personally do everything manually.

thanks guys! i've also been doing it manually and so far it works great. maybe you guys can help me with something else though. i've been trying to add custom borders to the snesc menu and i can't get it to work. is the info that is in the OP still the best way to do this? i've also been reading about a easy custom borders mod that is supposed to make things simple but most links to it seem to be dead and all the guides for it are using some older version of hakchi. there is also a custom backgrounds mod included with the current version of hakchi (i've been using hakchi CE 3.9.1) but i'm not sure it's the same mod as the other one and the instrucions aren't really clear to me (or maybe i'm just dumb). is there a step by step guide on how to add custom borders if you are using an usb host mod somewhere? is there a max amount of borders you can add to the snesc menu before getting an error?

once i'm done with the borders all that's left to do for is change some stuff in retroarch like remapping the controls, adding some borders and finding the right aspect ratio then i can finally start playing this thing!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know which borders you're talking about, but the Mini's borders are completely different from retroarch's borders. So make sure you aren't trying to add custom borders to the mini, but then using retroarch (and vice versa).

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
I don't know which borders you're talking about, but the Mini's borders are completely different from retroarch's borders. So make sure you aren't trying to add custom borders to the mini, but then using retroarch (and vice versa).

nevermind i used the method in the OP and it worked perfectly. got ~60 new custom borders in my menu in they are so beautiful. it honestly feels wrong to back to the stock borders now haha. yeah i was just talking about the borders for canoe but will need some new borders for the retroarch games too of course. so if you guys know if there is any way i can use the canoe borders for retroarch games i'd love to hear it. as for remapping all the different retroarch cores to the snes controller, that was a pain in the ass the last time i tried it so if there are any guides or mods to make it easier that'd be great too!

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
nevermind i used the method in the OP and it worked perfectly. got ~60 new custom borders in my menu in they are so beautiful. it honestly feels wrong to back to the stock borders now haha. yeah i was just talking about the borders for canoe but will need some new borders for the retroarch games too of course. so if you guys know if there is any way i can use the canoe borders for retroarch games i'd love to hear it. as for remapping all the different retroarch cores to the snes controller, that was a pain in the ass the last time i tried it so if there are any guides or mods to make it easier that'd be great too!

You can hold L or R while starting a Retroarch game and it'll apply whatever the current Canoe border you have active to that game or core. One of them applies it to the game, one applies it to the core, but I forgot which was which. To undo it, you hold the same button down while loading up the game again. At least that's how it used to work.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can hold L or R while starting a Retroarch game and it'll apply whatever the current Canoe border you have active to that game or core. One of them applies it to the game, one applies it to the core, but I forgot which was which. To undo it, you hold the same button down while loading up the game again. At least that's how it used to work.

Oh cool, didn't know that.

I'd love to swap out the borders I have with new ones, but it doesn't look like anyone is making them anymore.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
nevermind i used the method in the OP and it worked perfectly. got ~60 new custom borders in my menu in they are so beautiful. it honestly feels wrong to back to the stock borders now haha. yeah i was just talking about the borders for canoe.[...]

Just to add that the method given in the OP, lead to a complete replication of the 11 original border files elsewhere without deleted the original ones. So, it spend around 7 MB of internal storage for something useless (that already exist). It is possible to not spend these extra MB by creating a shortcut link towards original files instead of duplicate them. You have to use telnet and apply a codeline someone gave somewhere long time ago. If you are interested by that, I should try to search it in my archives.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018

that's way easier than i thought it would, thanks!

Oh cool, didn't know that.

I'd love to swap out the borders I have with new ones, but it doesn't look like anyone is making them anymore.

same, i wish there were some borders for genesis for example. i would love to have some streets of rage borders. i also didn't find any that fit for the snes batman games.

Just to add that the method given in the OP, lead to a complete replication of the 11 original border files elsewhere without deleted the original ones. So, it spend around 7 MB of internal storage for something useless (that already exist). It is possible to not spend these extra MB by creating a shortcut link towards original files instead of duplicate them. You have to use telnet and apply a codeline someone gave somewhere long time ago. If you are interested by that, I should try to search it in my archives.

thanks for the help but honestly don't need any of the internal space anyway because i'm using the OTG mod for when i play modded snesc so i have pretty much unlimited space anyway.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
I may have found an issue with Mystic Ark and it's compatibility with the SNES Mini.

I got to the Wood Arc world, and there is a part of the story where you talk to a town elder and the game transitions into a night segment with an earthquake. I have tried to get past this part about 5-6 times and every time the scene starts to shake the screen, the emulator crashes.

This is a story segment, so I don't think there's anyway to skip it. not sure how to fix this.

Gavatron

Unshakable Resolve
May 23, 2019
I haven't touched my SNES mini since the first version of Hakchi arrived on the scene but looking to dive back in. I've read through the docs a few times but couldn't really see anything for my particular situation. Will the latest version of Hakchi (Hakchi2 CE v3.9.2 as of today) 'just work' or is it recommended to reset the console and start from scratch?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I haven't touched my SNES mini since the first version of Hakchi arrived on the scene but looking to dive back in. I've read through the docs a few times but couldn't really see anything for my particular situation. Will the latest version of Hakchi (Hakchi2 CE v3.9.2 as of today) 'just work' or is it recommended to reset the console and start from scratch?

If you were using a non-CE version of hakchi, then yeah, it's best to restore the console to stock and start from scratch if you want to use hakchi CE.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Assuming you still have the original Hakchi folder in your computer, then all you need to open hakchi, then unistall hakchi from the mini, then flash the original kernel back.

This will bring the mini back to stock.

After you've confirmed it's back to stock, then download portable hakchi CE, extract on a clean new folder and then hack the mini.

If you don't have the original hakchi folder, then you'll have to do the unfuck process.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming you still have the original Hakchi folder in your computer, then all you need to open hakchi, then unistall hakchi from the mini, then flash the original kernel back.

After you've confirmed it's back to stock, then download portable hakchi CE, extract on a clean new folder and then hack the mini.

If you don't have the original hakchi folder, then you'll have to do the unfuck process.
What is this "unfuck process" you speak of?

Gavatron

Unshakable Resolve
May 23, 2019
If you were using a non-CE version of hakchi, then yeah, it's best to restore the console to stock and start from scratch if you want to use hakchi CE.

I know what I'm doing this weekend then, thanks for reply!

Thankfully, yesteryear me had enough foresight to backup my previous Hakchi2 portable folder and backup the kernel. Thanks for your help and advice!

Join hakchi's discord and type !unfuck

discord.com

Discord - Group Chat That’s All Fun & Games

Discord is great for playing games and chilling with friends, or even building a worldwide community. Customize your own space to talk, play, and hang out.

Will join this also as I'm intrigued at what this involves. Thanks again!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you have the original hakchi folder, then you don't need to do the unfuck process.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow there has been a lot of updates since I last did anything with mine. If I was using an older version of CE should I still revert to stock to update or is the process easier for a direct update. All the way back to 1.2.5.

Honestly don't even know if there is a reason to do so since it still does all the things I want it to and is just an easily movable novility/when I want something fast instead of using my real system and ossc.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow there has been a lot of updates since I last did anything with mine. If I was using an older version of CE should I still revert to stock to update or is the process easier for a direct update. All the way back to 1.2.5.

Honestly don't even know if there is a reason to do so since it still does all the things I want it to and is just an easily movable novility/when I want something fast instead of using my real system and ossc.

If you're happy with your setup, then don't update because you'll have to update all the cores (if you're using any) and all your retroarch saves will be lost (due to no longer being compatible with the new versions).

Unless you NEED some of the many additions and improvements (mostly to retroarch and cores), then don't update.

If you don't use extra cores then the only benefit to updating is that you'll gain around 80mb of internal memory, which is a huge gain. So if you do update, it's best to start from scratch using a clean new folder. You won't lose your stock saves as long as you add the same rom versions.

Join the discord if you need more guidance.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So if I have my Hakchi 2.21 folder with the original Snes Kernel Dump I'm fine?

Yes.
Uninstall hakchi from the mini.
Flash the original kernel back.
Make sure the mini went back to stock.
Download portable hakchi CE, hack the mini and use that new clean folder to rebuild your setup.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can the SNES Mini read MSU-1 sound files (hacked or not)? I would love to play Super Metroid with a remixed analogue soundtrack, which I believe exists.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Can the SNES Mini read MSU-1 sound files (hacked or not)? I would love to play Super Metroid with a remixed analogue soundtrack, which I believe exists.
I'm not sure about on the mini, but that version does exist. I have it on my FXPAK Pro

youtu.be

Super Metroid MSU-1 (SNES) Gameplay/Full Playthrough

Also Subscribe To My Sports Channel!:MarlinsBaseball ► https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJP05x1jexEUMx68GipOqIAAlso Sub To These Awesome Guys As Well As We R...

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
not natively since there's no support for it, but probs w/ retroarch w/ the right core, there's tutorials out there
msu1 games tend to take up a lot of space, so that could be an issue unless you've got external usb hard drive support

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about on the mini, but that version does exist. I have it on my FXPAK Pro

youtu.be

Super Metroid MSU-1 (SNES) Gameplay/Full Playthrough

Also Subscribe To My Sports Channel!:MarlinsBaseball ► https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJP05x1jexEUMx68GipOqIAAlso Sub To These Awesome Guys As Well As We R...

not natively since there's no support for it, but probs w/ retroarch w/ the right core, there's tutorials out there
msu1 games tend to take up a lot of space, so that could be an issue unless you've got external usb hard drive support

Alright, let's say I want to play this on an emulator on my windows computer. What's the best emulator these days? The last one I used was Zsnes back in the mid-2000s. I'm sure things have gotten better since. I'd love something that get replicate the original game accurately. Maybe something that comes with a good CRT filter. I also intend to use romhacks.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I still have SNES9x installed so I'm probably not the best to ask, but it's certainly better than ZSNES and its inaccurate sound emulation and general hackiness... though I don't know if it supports MSU-1. People swear up and down to use Retroarch for just about everything and there's a learning curve setting it up properly, but its certainly the most versatile. BSNES you'd want for accuracy but originally required a beefy cpu to run at 100% speed, but these days it's probably doable even with a mid-range computer.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Successfully updated everything to hakchi CE 3.8.0 and I love it.

There are a few games I am still having problems with, though.

EDIT:

Solved all the problems... SFROM tool wasn't enabled. Silly mistake.

I love this thread and the helpful OP and many of its posts

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Old post but plugged my SNES mini in to my USB port on the PC today and remembered you can play around with it. Do games dumped in SFC work? I can only see SMC online. Fairly easy to set up so far and should finally get around to playing around with the thing (Mainly got it for Final Fantasy 6 already installed).

demi

Oct 27, 2017
What a bump

Old post but plugged my SNES mini in to my USB port on the PC today and remembered you can play around with it. Do games dumped in SFC work? I can only see SMC online. Fairly easy to set up so far and should finally get around to playing around with the thing (Mainly got it for Final Fantasy 6 already installed).

SMC is the old way of dumping games (short for Super MagiCom, an old school game dumper device), SFC is the standard now pretty much. Either should work with a frontend like Retroarch, but I personally only use SFC with the internal emulator.

Oct 27, 2017
My Retrode dumps carts in .smc format, renaming them to .sfc has worked on my SNES Mini, Everdrives, and MiSTer.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Ta both. Just played around and got a couple of games working. Impressed it gets the box art for you. Micro Machines 2 is exactly how I remember it.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Was playing on my mini SNES this weekend with my brother. He was mystified as to why mine had so many games on it when his roommate's only has the original 20.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way (command line?) to remove the blur from the scanlines option?

Using default emulator? You have to install an HMOD file, but it should still work fine. Check this video for a demonstration and see if it meets your needs

www.youtube.com

How to add/ remove Smoothing and Scanlines to your SNES Classic (Tutorial)

How to Hack your Classic systemhttps://youtu.be/JwaGYQTniTUNES and SNES Classic Modding help!https://discord.gg/Kh9p8wTHakchi CEhttps://github.com/TeamShinka...

nenned

Oct 27, 2017

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I would've said the other games are "locked" and the only way to unlock them is to beat the initial 20 games!

Didn't one of Sega's recent collections actually do this? I swear I had to play Space Harrier just to unlock another version of Space Harrier.

EDIT: I found it, I had to beat other games just to unlock Space Harrier and Shinobi. I should have told my brother I bought the Ultimate Genesis Collection of SNES minis, lol.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably been asked in this thread but I couldn't find it.

Last night I added GBA to my SNES Classic. I used mGBA and added Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. I really only wanted to try GBA out.

But I am experiencing very strange sound issues with Zero Mission in particular.

I have read that I might need to install a bios file or switch to gpSP instead of mGBA.

Which would you recommend? I don't have experience installing BIOS files. I wonder if I can do that within the hakchi programme?

Thank you for anyone willing to help

EDIT: Typical that I'd find a solution now. Although I feel I was bumbling through it.

Anyway, I switched to gpSP but also had to install a bios file apparently. So I did. My first time!

Yay

Last edited: