Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
With the final direct, as well as various showcases following it, we have a glimpse at the meaty single player modes in the game. I'd like to take this thread to talk about how excited I am about three in particular - Spirits, Classic and World of Light.

In general, Smash has always been a great crossover game. Just alone, putting characters from one series in stages from another and using items from yet another all at the same time can be surreal. Mario fighting Sonic on Shadow Moses Island is just one of the many crazy crossovers Smash allows.

However, there has always been the problem of how to let this crossover aspect shine outside of that. Brawl's Subspace Emissary cutscenes took a decent shot at that, giving us many gems. However, Smash 4's single player mode felt bloated and unfocused. Master Orders and Crazy Orders were just random battles influenced by stats, Classic was just random battles too. Collectible trophies have always been an an amazing glossary for all the franchises in Smash, but they never really embrace the crossover aspect.

This is why Smash Ultimate is so exciting to me - because it's single player mode does that. It contextualizes all these random battles into clever callbacks and references - something only dipped into by Event Matches in previous games.

Let's look at the three biggest single player modes offered in Ultimate to explain

Spirits in General
jsfwemg6so1zqnxqwzmo.png

Replacing trophies hurt. Like I said, they were an amazing glossary. At first, I was down on Spirits because they seemed to be glorified brawl stickers, however that is not the case.

Spirits from all over gaming history can "possess" fighters in the game and influence the scenario of battle.

Let's look at an example - The Spirit of Shantae "possesses" Zero Suit Samus. So Zero Suit Samus wears her athletic wear alternate costume to mimic Shantae, starts the battle with a sword, and the battle takes place on Wind Waker's Pirate Ship. Effectively, they've recreated and referenced a scenario from the Shantae games by using stuff from the Metroid series and the Zelda series.
Dq7VLZmWkAE9xZk.jpg

Another aspect of Spirits is summoning. For example, Paper Mario can be "summoned" by using a Cut Man spirit from the Mega Man franchise and a cardboard box from the Metal Gear franchise.

Overall, Spirits over the past two days has shown that it allows for characters and franchises, even the deepest of cuts, from all over gaming history to be referenced in Scenarios created from eachother

Classic Mode
classic-mode.original.jpg

Continuing in the same vein as Spirits, Classic Mode is back and better than ever. In Smash 4, this mode was disappointingly random and not unique for characters.

In Smash Ultimate, every fighter has their own unique classic campaign - from Donkey Kong's "Journey to New Donk City" to Kirby's "Gourmet Clash," the new classic mode captures the essence of each fighter using stages and characters from all different franchises.

For instance, all of Ryu's battles are Stamina Battles on flat stages, referencing his home games. And Zero Suit Samus is fought to Chun Li's theme on Earthbound's Onett.

Donkey Kong's "Journey to New Donk" campaign could take him across multiple urban stages, as we see him fighting the Inklings on Moray Towers.

Adventure Mode: World of Light
maxresdefault.jpg

Of course, the jaw dropping Infinity War-like intro cutscene is one way Ultimate's new adventure mode embraces and intertwined gaming history, and there is hopefully some more where that came from. However, unlike the Subspace Emmissary in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there's more to it than just the cutscenes.

https:///wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Super-Smash-Bros.-Ultimate-Easter-Egg-worldoflight-consoles-nov22018.jpg

In addition to themed Spirits battles mentioned in the first section, the "World of Light" is actually jam packed with references to locations from all sorts of games. A big one though, is the "Nintendo City" pictured above with a few of their consoles making up the buildings.

However, we can also see a lava area themed after Super Mario 3D World, the Sealed grounds from Skyward Sword, and Metal Gear Rex's hangar (which seems to be where a big robot boss is fought) among others.

Bosses are another element of this. We already know Castlevania's Dracula and Monster Hunter's Rathalos can be fought here. However, the icon on the menu hints at Balder (Bayonetta) and King Bublin (The Legend of Zelda) too!

——————————
Overall, thanks to the new Spirits system and creativity of the dev team, Smash Ultimate's single player seems to soar above the rest for me. It allows for a new dimension of crossovers in which scenarios from one series can be recreated using aspects from others, and deep cut franchises can be brought to light.

Last edited:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Spirits reminds me a lot of a much more fleshed out interpretation of Killer Instinct's Shadow Lords, and for that I am excited

Splendy

Oct 25, 2017
To me when sakurai mentioned the Smash 64 intro it really made it all come together. Smash characters are a bunch of toys and just like when you are little the toys you have take on different roles. Spirits battles are all about that, finding all the different ways to use the engine of Smash to create all these fun scenarios to best represent their spirit. From Nia as a mii brawler being protected by a white incineroar (dromarch) to invisible dededes launching gordos at you the creativity these modes displays is off the charts.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It certainly looks to be the highest quality single player the series has ever had. I can't believe I'm excited for the single player in a Smash game again.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The single-player outings this time look like a lot of fun and I actually want to play them. Which is something I can't say was a thing for Smash 4.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hyped. Looks really great from a 1p perspective, which was something I felt Smash 4 on 3DS and especially Wii U got wrong.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad people have come around on Spirits. I feel it wasn't presented to the best extent in the Direct, but it's actually one of the best ideas I think they've added to Smash so far, and truly a way to make the "trophies" feel like they carry the literal "spirit" of their games into this one.

Gamexplain also pointed out in an early video the other day that a portion of the map in World of Light is a city that's constructed entirely by Nintendo consoles, and also houses Moray Towers.

I adore how they seem to be throwing in actual Nintendo easter eggs and a sense of cohesion into the map which wasn't present in Subspace's generic overworld settings. From areas like Alola, Bowser's Castle and Shadow Moses actually being present on the overworld map - I look forward to seeing the connectivity of it all. They put a lot of effort into it from the looks of it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I do not care for it at all.

Cool! .Jpegs!

Yeah, nah. I don't buy Smash for single-player anyway, though, so it's all good.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
No home run nor break the targets modes though... I certainly don't care that much about Spirits other than paying through World of Light once.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like Event Matches taken to the extreme, and those were always the best single player things before, so I'm down for it

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great thread. i'm very excited for the single player content, i'm not big into competitive online modes so i think my playtime will just be 70% single player stuff, 30% local multi with friends.
i have a feeling the adventure mode will be absolutely massive, which is what i wanted out of a "story" mode for this game.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
The world map looks amazing and beautiful. I hope it's like a board game. An amazing beautiful board game Smash RPG.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My only hope is that they keep the descriptions trophies had. I loved learning neat wiki-like tidbits about random characters. As a kid playing Melee I was introduced to so many different Nintendo franchises just via trophies alone.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love how inspired the Spirits stuff seems to be. Finding ways to represent random characters with no shot at the roster itself is brilliant. The change to Classic is gonna be fun too, making it way less repetitive between each character.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
My most favorite things about spirits right now is the crafting.

Paper Mario is Cut Man + Cardboard Box from Metal Gear + Someone from Art Academy?
E. Honda is Rhythm Heaven Sumo Brothers + Piston Honda from Punch Out

I can't wait to see all the recipes lol

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how is this game only 13 GB, the amount of content is really crazy.
i'm surprised they didn't need to use a 32 GB cart for it.

Splendy

Oct 25, 2017
My most favorite things about stickers right now is the crafting.

Paper Mario is Cut Man + Cardboard Box from Metal Gear + Someone from Art Academy?
E. Honda is Rhythm Heaven Sumo Brothers + Piston Honda from Punch Out

I can't wait to see all the recipes lol

I also love the transforming when they max out. Naked Snake becoming Big Boss or Nick becoming Captain Rainbow and going from common to Legendary just like in his game is so good.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
how is this game only 13 GB, the amount of content is really crazy.
i'm surprised they didn't need to use a 32 GB cart for it.
I feel like I remember reading Sakurai talking about some new tool for music compression, not sure where but maybe someone knows. Anyway, that probably helped a lot.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I also love the transforming when they max out. Naked Snake becoming Big Boss or Nick becoming Captain Rainbow and going from common to Legendary just like in his game is so good.

Rondo of Blood Maria turning into Symphony of the Night Maria was awesome as well! Can't wait to sink hundreds of hours on this stupid mode.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much making sure that people that arent that into multiplayer will still spend a crazy amount of hours with the game...esp. in portable mode.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Sakurai's team really put some work and crazy creativity for the 75 (!!!) characters, they're madmen :D

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Gotta say, I do not care for it at all.

Cool! .Jpegs!

Yeah, nah. I don't buy Smash for single-player anyway, though, so it's all good.
That's so overly reductive considering what they've shown. They've found a way to make themed stages around characters that aren't in the game as playable ones.

And there's 0% chance that they're JPEGs, too, and not PNGs.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad people have come around on Spirits. I feel it wasn't presented to the best extent in the Direct, but it's actually one of the best ideas I think they've added to Smash so far, and truly a way to make the "trophies" feel like they carry the literal "spirit" of their games into this one.

Gamexplain also pointed out in an early video the other day that a portion of the map in World of Light is a city that's constructed entirely by Nintendo consoles, and also houses Moray Towers.

I adore how they seem to be throwing in actual Nintendo easter eggs and a sense of cohesion into the map which wasn't present in Subspace's generic overworld settings. From areas like Alola, Bowser's Castle and Shadow Moses actually being present on the overworld map - I look forward to seeing the connectivity of it all. They put a lot of effort into it from the looks of it.
And it's kind of shocking that stuff like this barely happened before. Sakurai clearly loves doing little references and scenarios, it shows all the time in trailers for the newcomers and whatnot. I'm glad he finally seems to be going all out on it

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes, I loved the "no items, ryu only, final destination" style of Fighting Game Mode.
Arcade mode in the style of classic fighting game with Omega Mode style stages only, no itens and hp instad of %. I wonder if it ends on a rival fight

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shantae's actually a spirit, or is that just a mock-up?

Pretty neat and unexpected if she is.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first Classic Mode where it'll actually be interesting to play with each character. Stuff like Ryu's campaign being a series of 1v1 stamina battles on omega stages set to Street Fighter music is just brilliant. I'm very interested to see what premise they come up with for each fighter's campaign.

And I've said it before, but the spirits are such a brilliant narrative conceit. They lend an internal logic to what would otherwise be random Event Matches, making them feel thematically cohesive. Like, there's an in-universe explanation for the different modifiers now: they're the results of spirits possessing puppet fighters, altering their appearance, their attributes, their loadouts, even their environments.

I'm also impressed by the logic that goes into each spirit, as well. For example, to create the Yoga Tree Pose spirit, you can combine the essence of a Sudowoodo spirit and a Whispy Woods spirit — which makes "perfect sense" in that they're both "trees." It's so clever.

And then you have stuff like Naked Snake evolving into Big Boss upon maxing out his level. That's just inspired.

I'm so excited for all of this. It'll also be hype to see what bosses we encounter in World of Light. The banner for it in the main menu shows Rathalos alongside other characters that may also be bosses, including Balder (!!) in his Masked Lumen form from Bayonetta 2. Can you imagine if you fight him and then halfway through the battle he summons Fortitudo?

Hyyyyyyype!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shantae's actually a spirit, or is that just a mock-up?

Pretty neat and unexpected if she is.
She's actually a spirit.

I'm also impressed by the logic that goes into each spirit, as well. For example, to create the Yoga Tree Pose spirit, you can combine the essence of a Sudowoodo spirit and a Whispy Woods spirit — which makes "perfect sense" in that they're both "trees." It's so clever.
Sudowoodo is clever in a secondary way as well. It's a rock mimicking to be a tree while the yoga tree pose is a human mimicking a tree!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I only really miss Smash Run as an extra mode. That in addition to the Spirits would have made Smash U's single-player offerings perfect in my eyes.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Great thread. This is why I come to ResetEra: posters passionate about the same kind of content I am in to.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just the map looks amazing, so many different areas. I loved the pac man style map section.

but yeah it looks great. it looks like the first time an adventure mode in a smash game will actually be compelling beyond just mixing it up or unlocks.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yup this is easily looking like the best and most single player content the series has ever had.

As someone who barely touched 4 because the single player was terrible and I didn't have many Smash playing friends nearby I'm absolutely thrilled for Ultimate.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Oh wow, didn't know they did that with classic mode. We have all star mode also.. Single player mode does sound more exciting now, but killing trophies suck. /:

Oh and I wish Tour mode came back in an update. It was actually really fun in smash 4. It just needs more balancing with items.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Proof's in the pudding on that one, I can't imagine the audio quality survived that compression.
Sakurai actually talked in Famitsu about how new compression tech allowed them to retain audio quality while packing in a lot more music. Someone could probably find the article.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed fully. Never been this excited to play Smash single player.

On that note, surely someone in this thread cares as much as me about fucking Kyle Hyde from Hotel Dusk is a spirit!? I feel so alone in my excitement! I never thought he'd appear in a game ever again.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed fully. Never been this excited to play Smash single player.

On that note, surely someone in this thread cares as much as me about fucking Kyle Hyde from Hotel Dusk is a spirit!? I feel so alone in my excitement! I never thought he'd appear in a game ever again.
He was a trophy in Smash 4, I'm pretty sure, but it'll be neat to see what his spirit does. :-)

All of the MGSV spirits have me wanting to play Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain again.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I like it because it fits the narrative of them being toys and you're using your imagination for the scenarios as the master hand human

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, I was grinning ear to ear when I saw Kaz from MGSV, lol

I still hope he's added as DLC as a hamburger-slinging double amputee with anger issues