• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, but in that case, Nintendo was enabling predation by the functionality of that app. Smash Bros is only a background element of the predation here, the actual cause was the culture of the scene that followed it.

I think the best thing Nintendo can do is to ask for specific rules to be adhered to at any event that hosts Super Smash Bros tournaments (such as always required parental supervision for minors, age brackets, etc), and if any event fails to provide any of that, then DMCA it.
I don't think it really is going to matter to them, though. The issue is having the name of Super Smash Bros associated with child predators in anyway. That's not a good look regardless of whether Smash is a background element or a tool in and of itself.

I do agree that would be a good solution.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really sure law enforcement is going to get involved. It would be on the victims to actually pursue it right? Has any of them talked about doing that?
I think there are some cases/states where the victim does not have to press charges for a case to happen. Pretty sure I've seen it before, and it didn't involve minors.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just throw it out and start over?

Erase them all. Start new. This time with some fucking supervision.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really follow Smash, but that list and the number of threads here is disturbing. I feel bad for the victims, this is fucking gross.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
If Nintendo even bothers to sponsor any competitive smash tournaments in the future, its going to be on the shortest, tightest leash for sure. They're just not going to want their game associated with this mess nor to be seen indirectly supporting it. And good lord that list...I just kept scrolling...and scrolling and it kept going...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Please save the armchair psychology.

Putting aside that you've just generalized swaths of people based on...apparently nothing, there's no sign that any of these abusers are "developmentally delayed" and in fact, that's giving them an out that they don't deserve

Seriously. The sheer number of people that details are coming out about is shocking but that's a huge, weird leap. There are more reasonable explanations.

It's a game that is going to have a lot more young players than most while also having a relatively "safe" image, yet with seemingly little effort put into actually protecting those younger players from potential dangers. In that light, it is unfortunately not as surprising as it could be that creeps took advantage of that situation in a variety of disgusting ways.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at that list, Nintendo is never returning to competive Smash.

I was thinking this throughout the week. Any chance there was of Nintendo ever supporting this community in an official capacity has gone up in flames, and rightly so.

Must already be pretty damn upsetting that you as a company, priding itself on products accessible to all ages and almost a safe space in gaming for kids, has a competitive scene full of rapists and paedophiles associated with one of your biggest titles.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this wakes up people, venues, organizers and whoever else to the potential dangers of allowing minors in adult spaces without supervision.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
This whole thing makes me so sad. I got into smash during my first Evo in 2013 and was absolutely enthralled by the scene. I sucked ass but would even go to local tournaments and tried my hand at commentating once. It's disappointing that so many of the people I watched and admired over the years turned out to be creepy, socially inept pedophiles/rapists. I think the D1 allegations hurt the most.

None of these people can ever come back to the scene and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo cuts ties with competitive smash.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I never thought a community formed around a Nintendo game could be this gross and disgusting, like holy shit how is this even possible?

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
We laughed at Nintendo for the archaic messaging and chat features in their games for decades now. Seems like they were right to be this overly protective. While there is no scientific proof here, there definitely seems to be some evidence that predators are gravitating towards this game as it does seem to skew younger. Nintendo should take over any sort of tournaments fully.
I would put money on it largely being the other way around. Any space where this is tolerated will breed it because respecting those age and power dynamics is a learned behaviour.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I never thought a community formed around a Nintendo game could be this gross and disgusting, like holy shit how is this even possible?

It is possible in every community where children interact unsupervised with adults. Nintendos vehemence to not police and manage those events led to this.

They should have:
- made a junior league for anyone under 18
- not allowing minors to attend tournaments they would have to stay overnight without a parent or family member over 18 be present.

That would be unfair to a lot of underage smash/fighting games players, but it is still a fucking game and not worth the risk to lose your childhood over. if you are underage and think that could be your career, get your parents on board and drag them to every tournament.

OP
OP
KingTrainJumper

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
tenor.gif

Anytime now with that statement, DJ