Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Sony striking while the Slender Man iron is Ice Cold. This movie is 3-5 years late for a cash in on a dumb internet thing.

Last edited:

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Slenderman works better as a mystery,

X character or characters investigating a disappearance whether they knew about it beforehand or after. It gets dark, power goes out, your limited in light. Then some creepy slenderman is watching you in a distance, sometimes you catch him, other times you don't. But he itches closer and closer until he gets close and you realize he's after to get you.

I guess these Barbadook references are saying Slenderman is a monster created by us and that our fear and emotions are what gives its existence. But I might see it, but I'm really not in a mood for a bad horror movie without commentary.

Sounds like an "It" wannabe.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
No it isn't. It's scary in theory or when you tell people about it, but the movie itself is just a family drama with zero tension.
Babadook is scary not just in theory, but also execution. It's a horrific movie without having all the jumpcuts or jumpscares or all the cliches. It has this presence that sends chills down the spine. Its a great horror/scary movie without using gore or disfigured ghouls to scare you.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So I read the /r/movies discussion thread on this movie, holy fuck

"Funniest line in movie history: "I know how it works! It's like a COMPUTER VIRUS but instead of infecting the HARD DRIVE, it infects our BODIES!!""

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Babadook is scary not just in theory, but also execution. It's a horrific movie without having all the jumpcuts or jumpscares or all the cliches. It has this presence that sends chills down the spine. Its a great horror/scary movie without using gore or disfigured ghouls to scare you.

I was bored to tears. One of the most disappointing films I've ever seen. And yes, I liked the VVitch, misleading trailers and all.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Slender Man" bravely goes against the well-established notion that scary movies should be scary.

#ded

I don't actually get why they failed so miserably. It really isn't that hard to write a convincingly creepy movie about people being stalked by a supernatural and seemingly unkillable monster.

...but it sounds like the Gentlemen from Buffy are spookier than this movie.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I don't actually get why they failed so miserably. It really isn't that hard to write a convincingly creepy movie about people being stalked by a supernatural and seemingly unkillable monster.
I think that contrary to your expectations, it's incredibly hard.
It's a concept that has been done before, and it lacks creativity. It's the most basic story imaginable. I have a hard time imagining how it could be realized without being stale and boring.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Legit surprised the average score is above 3.5/10 at the moment.

I feel bad for Joey King, she's a good actress and is above this crap.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That first quoted review... I would have gone to see this if it was the Dat Boi frog pedaling after people.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those quotes are choice.

Kinda.

The production company made a distribution deal with Sony, then I guess because they felt Hollywood would just be weeping at their feet for their 2018 Slender Man movie by the director of Stomp the Yard, they used a clause in their contract and bought back the movie.

Long story short they crawled back to Sony with their tail between their legs, who then proceeded to dump it in August while rubbing their noses in it and saying "Look what you did."

Oh, is that how that ended up going?

I saw the whole bit where they thought the movie somehow deserved better, but didn't see them slinking back, huh.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
My SO forced me to see this. Four hours to go before showtime. Wish me luck comrades

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you fuck this up when marble hornets gives you the blueprint

Because they used that stabbing incident as their primary source of information, not so much the creepypasta or Marble Hornets, and like the girls who went to jail for that, they have a very poor grasp on what Slender Man's about.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How badly do you have to mess up to make a Slender Man movie not scary?

A couple of effective jump scares is, like, the baseline here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this last night out of morbid curiosity (plus I had to get out of the house for an HOA meeting and this was literally the only thing playing at the right time):

At one point, the main teen dreams that she's pregnant with Slenderman.

One of the character, talking with her three friends walking down the school hallway, says: "Twitter Poll: If you could spend the rest of your life the same age, which age would you be?" TWITTER POLL.

There are legit two good scares but its basically a mediocre Are You Afraid of the Dark episode.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there already a slender man movie where it turned out
Slender man was some scooby doo type shit created to cover the tracks of an organization that rescued abused children?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I saw this last night out of morbid curiosity (plus I had to get out of the house for an HOA meeting and this was literally the only thing playing at the right time):

At one point, the main teen dreams that she's pregnant with Slenderman.

One of the character, talking with her three friends walking down the school hallway, says: "Twitter Poll: If you could spend the rest of your life the same age, which age would you be?" TWITTER POLL.

There are legit two good scares but its basically a mediocre Are You Afraid of the Dark episode.
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society: It's a generic as hell story.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Everyone knew this movie would be a piece of shit. It combines all the things Hollywood is shit at: Adaptions, Internet Culture, Memes and Horror.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
This ever stick the landing? I think I stopped watching near the end of the series. I will say this is probably the worst series to watch late at night when you live alone in a new apartment.
Yeah, once it became a story of three different storylines, and less about the one movie director guy trying to figure out what Slenderman was, I fell off the bandwagon as well.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Babadook has some good elements and a couple creepy scenes, but it is very overrated and the mental illness subtext is so annoyingly overbearing and eye rolling at times it really hurts the film. The ending is so so bad because of that.
Basically what I got from it. I started off finding it quite scary because of the sounds the Babadook makes, but apart from that the whole family drama and "the monster was our feelings all along" bullshit just made my eyes roll.

It didn't help that none of the characters were likable or relatable.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
My mom was filmed a couple days as an extra for this so she's taking us to see it tomorrow so we can look for her lol. Apparently she's some creepy nurse.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
"Slender Man" bravely goes against the well-established notion that scary movies should be scary.

Savage lol

But we already had a Slenderman internet series, and it was great. No need for a movie.

Thank you for this ! Slow day at work so this is welcome :)

On subject, this movie seems like it sucks really bad, just makes me want to rewatch The Badabook

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Slenderman works better as a mystery,

X character or characters investigating a disappearance whether they knew about it beforehand or after. It gets dark, power goes out, your limited in light. Then some creepy slenderman is watching you in a distance, sometimes you catch him, other times you don't. But he itches closer and closer until he gets close and you realize he's after to get you.

I guess these Barbadook references are saying Slenderman is a monster created by us and that our fear and emotions are what gives its existence. But I might see it, but I'm really not in a mood for a bad horror movie without commentary.
I've had an idea how you could make a Slenderman movie. I'd set it in the past (I know 80s is a nice time, but maybe the 90s), a time BEFORE the heavy reliance on smartphones and internet (no searching up "Slenderman" online). as well as being around the time when had VHS/mini-tape camcorders. Take some cues from Stranger Things by making the majority of the cast YOUNG (Slenderman comes after children), and make the main character a teen. My idea for this is to have the main teen girl(15-17) be the visiting cousin of a younger boy (10-12), and the small town the boy's family lives in is seeing a rash of child disappearances that the adults stop noticing (when Slenderman abducts all a family's children, the memory of those children vanish and the parents move from the town). The boy notices this even more as his group of close friends start to vanish, one by one. His older cousin thinks his paranoid, until she sees Slenderman start his attack on him, then the two band together to try to survive his game of cat and mouse. Lots of disturbing creepy things happen (I'm thinking waking up in the night and they hear the screaming of one of their abducted friends in the walls, or when Slenderman starts to chase them, there isn't just simple static seen on the tv/ or flickering of the lights, but the entire space becomes distorted, walls become elongated, floors start to slope). My end would be that both their parents (the boy's mother and father, and the teen girl's mother) forget their children even exist and Slenderman comes for his last big hurrah, but the two youths manage to escape, steal one of their parents' car and drive the hell out of town, not knowing what the future holds, but knowing that the boy's hometown is without hope. It would be a movie that focuses on a creeping sense of dread, not jump-scares or fast-cuts and loud noises, and wouldn't focus on vapid teens doing vapid teen shit but on the relationship between two cousins that were close when they were much younger (that the older cousin was like an "older sister" to the younger boy, who is an only child), but over time have drifted apart, but are brought back together through the circumstance of the horror they are experiencing.

If there was to be a sequel, it would be set in modern times where either a group of teens or a family on vacation stops at the town on their way to their destination, discovering it's either a ghost town or there are a few people living there, but there's no children at all (I'm leaning towards the latter).

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
No it isn't. It's scary in theory or when you tell people about it, but the movie itself is just a family drama with zero tension.

I'm with you. The Babadook was hyped to hell and back but when I watched it...I was mostly just annoyed and bored. I will say though that the scene where the mother is watching the news and the camera zooms in on her smiling face in a window...that scene caught me off guard and was really unnerving. Nothing else about the movie is memorable for me.

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't have high hopes for this... Will just watch Marble Hornets/Always Watching again instead.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
the fuck are you on

babadook is legit one of the most terrifying movies in recent times
I really enjoyed Babadook as a tale of a deteriorating family and there are some aspects of that movie that touched me on a personal level.

But tense and scary aren't words I would use to describe it. Horrifying is a word I would use, but that more due to the movie tapping into some of the bullshit I had to deal with in the past. It's very good at depicting
how a child reacts to a parent going through a mental breakdown.