• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
unless I am mistaken, they haven't even started any serious production on any of the expansions.
This is true for Skywind, they're focusing on the main game for release and may do the expansions post launch.
Skyblivion is at least working on the Shivering Iles/Knights of the Nine. Not sure about smaller DLC such as the player houses. They definitely don't have horse armor done yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Volunteer projects like Tamriel Rebuilt (the entirety of Morrowind, not just Vvardenfell) + Project Tamriel (all of mid-2000s-Bethesda-style Tamriel created in Morrowind) manage to sustain themselves despite people having moved on to later games. Oblivion's the true black sheep of modern Elder Scrolls because its mod scene dried up so quickly and permanently, such that you can view ES modding as two repelling poles: Morrowind on the grognard side and Skyrim on the easily-accessible side. I think Skywind's going to finish with the talent and momentum they've built up, barring any catastrophic drama, just the same as Tamriel Rebuilt which has only gained momentum through better tools and organization.

Deleted member 33382

User request account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Spears were trash in the Base game so I hope they add some balance to them. I would actually pay money for this as a full on release.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Volunteer projects like Tamriel Rebuilt (the entirety of Morrowind, not just Vvardenfell) + Project Tamriel (all of mid-2000s-Bethesda-style Tamriel created in Morrowind) manage to sustain themselves despite people having moved on to later games. Oblivion's the true black sheep of modern Elder Scrolls because its mod scene dried up so quickly and permanently, such that you can view ES modding as two repelling poles: Morrowind on the grognard side and Skyrim on the easily-accessible side. I think Skywind's going to finish with the talent and momentum they've built up, barring any catastrophic drama, just the same as Tamriel Rebuilt which has only gained momentum through better tools and organization.

I have faith in them getting the main game done as they have a lot to show for it, but I do wonder if Tribunal and Bloodmoon will be done, and I hope they will. Right now those are "ifs" in regards to the project, and likely require the same reforming that the Skywind project had by making all of the armors modular, having to recreate two more major locations, have it all fully voiced, etc. I can't speak to the volume of those expansions in regards to the original game, but I assume the current bar they're aiming for make them much more time-consuming to accomplish. Skyblivion, to contrast, will probably have all of its extra stuff done, as they've said the intentions are the main game, then the smaller DLCs, then the expansions, and then newly made DLC just for this version of the game. What makes this project somewhat easier is by requiring the mod to validate your copy of Oblivion, they can port over the audio, so they get away from the huge task of having to rewrite and narrate so much.

Beyond Skyrim, a project only really connected with this because they share similar assets (primarily between the Skyblivion and Beyond Skyrim Cyrodiil projects) might keep going ala Tamriel Rebuilt, but I think the window and interest in game-specific remakes/remasters has a time limit in that when TESVI releases, I think the idea of "the older campaign in the newest game" just moves one more game forward. I think both Skywind and Skyblivion will be released before then, but looping back to my earlier remarks, the expansions are the question mark for me.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond Skyrim, a project only really connected with this because they share similar assets (primarily between the Skyblivion and Beyond Skyrim Cyrodiil projects) might keep going ala Tamriel Rebuilt

I don't think there's any chance that the Beyond Skyrim Elsweyr and Black Marsh projects get completed. Morrowind is also suspect as they scrapped what they had at one point. Iliac Bay and Cyrodiil seem like they could get their full releases eventually.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
I've always wanted to experience Vvardenfell without the hideous combat system of Morrowind, but that Skyrim combat seems so bland.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I really dont understand how they will make this work, like how will levitation work? And will cities be open like in morrowind or loading cells like skyrim. Also not hearing the amazing music of Morrowind is a real let down, does Bethesda really have no issue with people remaking the whole game but doesn't let them use the original OST or is it more of a copyright issue of the music?

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I really dont understand how they will make this work, like how will levitation work? And will cities be open like in morrowind or loading cells like skyrim. Also not hearing the amazing music of Morrowind is a real let down, does Bethesda really have no issue with people remaking the whole game but doesn't let them use the original OST or is it more of a copyright issue of the music?

In their recent "Call of the East" trailer, you can see the use of levitation briefly a minute in. Not sure if it'll work exactly like Morrowind, but i'm not sure how else you'd do it.

I'd imagine all cities would have to be open cities, certainly Balmora looks to be.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that this project will be completed in a time when Skyrim's engine will be really dated. Skywind will be a more modern experience than Morrowind but time also moves on.

i mean, skyrim already is kind of a dinosaur. while this looks great it very much looks like a game from 2012 and i don't think there's any issue with that

main draw is the functionality. unless starfield and ES6 blast Skyrim into the stone age in this regard i don't think it'll be an issue

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
In their recent "Call of the East" trailer, you can see the use of levitation briefly a minute in. Not sure if it'll work exactly like Morrowind, but i'm not sure how else you'd do it.

I'd imagine all cities would have to be open cities, certainly Balmora looks to be.
Well as you can see he needs to maintain the cast for the buff to stay, I just find Skyrim so differently made than Morrowind that I am curious and sceptical on how they will work through all those limitations.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Well as you can see he needs to maintain the cast for the buff to stay, I just find Skyrim so differently made than Morrowind that I am curious and sceptical on how they will work through all those limitations.

You're right. Somehow I completely missed that it seems to be a concentration-type spell. Not sure how I feel about that, though it definitely seems a more Skyrim-style approach.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I have faith in them getting the main game done as they have a lot to show for it, but I do wonder if Tribunal and Bloodmoon will be done, and I hope they will. Right now those are "ifs" in regards to the project, and likely require the same reforming that the Skywind project had by making all of the armors modular, having to recreate two more major locations, have it all fully voiced, etc. I can't speak to the volume of those expansions in regards to the original game, but I assume the current bar they're aiming for make them much more time-consuming to accomplish. Skyblivion, to contrast, will probably have all of its extra stuff done, as they've said the intentions are the main game, then the smaller DLCs, then the expansions, and then newly made DLC just for this version of the game. What makes this project somewhat easier is by requiring the mod to validate your copy of Oblivion, they can port over the audio, so they get away from the huge task of having to rewrite and narrate so much.

Beyond Skyrim, a project only really connected with this because they share similar assets (primarily between the Skyblivion and Beyond Skyrim Cyrodiil projects) might keep going ala Tamriel Rebuilt, but I think the window and interest in game-specific remakes/remasters has a time limit in that when TESVI releases, I think the idea of "the older campaign in the newest game" just moves one more game forward.
Beyond Skyrim has another big issue: engine limitations. The Morrowind engine can, theoretically, load all the assets and initial data needed for the entirety of Tamriel using just Project Tamriel, but Skyrim has apparently hardcoded limits on how much landmass it can load. That's why Beyond Skyrim's forced to split up its worldspace so much, with little means of easily transitioning a playthrough between regions. Project Tamriel will never have to deal with this big problem, which is why it will remain relevant and accessible to new modders who can keep the momentum going.

I've always wanted to experience Vvardenfell without the hideous combat system of Morrowind, but that Skyrim combat seems so bland.
Short of getting a vastly redesigned, From Software-tier combat overhaul, none of the modern ES games have particularly good combat. Some recent Lua script-based mods for Morrowind have refined the ugliest bits off its combat and skills system, but it's still whack-a-dice-roll-mole through and through. I'm perfectly fine with RNG-based combat to that degree since I know how to work around it when starting a new game, yet I still want something better that doesn't simply settle for the Skyrim style.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Without the fog and the inclusion of longer draw distances it's always weird to see where you are in relation to the rest of Vvardenfell. Red mountain is close to Balmora, Seyda Neen is just across a bay from Vivec City. I had a similar experience with Vvardenfell in ESO.
The only mod I installed for Morrowind was the one that extended the draw distance all the way out. I absolutely loved it after playing part of the game without it. You still get fog but as a weather effect, most of the time you can see the Red Mountain and Ghost Gate from almost anywhere. Vivec feels like an actual city because you can see all the other cantons. Looking out onto vast plains of mushroom trees from the top of a canton is also really cool.

Given the sight lines which feel like an artistic choice it feels like they originally intended for the game to have that kind of draw distance, but then had to massively scale it back due to hardware limitations.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Without the fog and the inclusion of longer draw distances it's always weird to see where you are in relation to the rest of Vvardenfell. Red mountain is close to Balmora, Seyda Neen is just across a bay from Vivec City. I had a similar experience with Vvardenfell in ESO.
When they announced Vvardenfell in ESO started with the actual Morrowind map I was excited. After playing it seemed so incredibly small. I know it was cause at the time Morrowind was far and way the biggest game I had ever played but yes removing the fog also lost that illusion. I can't say I like how how many changes they made in ESO and how few buildings you could enter but it was still beautiful to visit. Seeing Balmora here in all it's glory really made me excited.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
When they announced Vvardenfell in ESO started with the actual Morrowind map I was excited. After playing it seemed so incredibly small. I know it was cause at the time Morrowind was far and way the biggest game I had ever played but yes removing the fog also lost that illusion. I can't say I like how how many changes they made in ESO and how few buildings you could enter but it was still beautiful to visit. Seeing Balmora here in all it's glory really made me excited.
Plus you have mounts in ESO to get around and Red Mountain is inaccessible which takes away a large portion of the map. Balmora in ESO looks great, but yeah disappointed that it's so barred off. Plus it's not a proper town with crafting stations and whatnot, missed opportunity as Balmora and Bruma are my favorite towns in TES.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't think there's any chance that the Beyond Skyrim Elsweyr and Black Marsh projects get completed. Morrowind is also suspect as they scrapped what they had at one point. Iliac Bay and Cyrodiil seem like they could get their full releases eventually.
Man I hope you're wrong but I suspect you're right.

It's such a bummer too. The tiny snippets that the devs of those two have been dropping have really piqued my curiosity and look great, but they're just such big projects.

Stop telling me about your amazing mods, I can't handle another Tatterdemalion ;_;

Reticon6

Banned
Oct 19, 2018
10,000m under surface level
remember when people threw a complete shitfit over the idea of [optionally] paid mods

probably would have led to more things like this, from people normally unable to devote the time to it

One thing you got to realize, once you make Bethesda the sole arbiter of your creation - whether original or not - under their paid mod scheme - they'll own it.

And creators, above all must own the products they create .

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i gave benefit of a doubt with paid mods (with regard to it leading to more of this stuff and expediting dev time) but they squandered that goodwill lightning fast

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't sure if this was threadworty on its own, but apparently there is a similar mod that recreates the entire main quest of TES II: Daggerfall in Skyrim. Apparently, you can get from Privateer's Hold all the way to the Mantellan Crux. I've only played a bit and it seems like enemy spawn points are messed up. It's hard(er) than normal to get out of the first area.

Anyway I though this was an interesting tidbit to add to the Beyond Skyrim discussions.