• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So I don't know if this is game breaking or cheating. Never played Skyrim before. In certain dungeons, there will be a switch behind an area that has some slits where you can see it but can't get to it because you have to find another way around. I just equip a long sword and slide my hand "into" in through the graphics to flip the switch. It's a case of realism and cheating in my book. I'm assuming you wouldn't have been able to do that in the standard game yes? This game is fucking amazing!

It's both but great.
I saw a prison cell door that had wolves on the other side I didn't want to deal with so I just stuck my hand through the hole and spark magic'd them to death. Then I unlocked it and looted the cell.

I basically play this like real life now because of the 1:1 hand movement.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about sitting down. I play standing for better immersion. I've played the last 3 days straight for about 8 hours straight (with small breaks for food etc) and I don't get any nausea or soreness. But maybe that's just me.

Are you talking about things right up in your face being sorta hard to focus on? I think Skyrim has the least amount of that out of any game I've played. Nothing is ever super close to your face really.

PSVR revision is the one included in the Skyrim bundle. Newer moves too.

Well shit, that makes things more complicated (or easier?)

Wonder how much I can get selling the launch PSVR and Move controllers. Any retailers doing a trade-in? Are there any BF specials for the Skyrim bundle?

I could probably make this a Christmas project, unless the current BF deals are too good to ignore.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also is there a list anywhere that details exactly what is different for the revised PSVR and Move controllers?

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Top tip: get as close to people as possible before initiating a conversation. Spent most of my time up until now initiating convos at sword length away but is much more immersive getting close up close and find myself a lot more interested in what people have to say for some reason.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice if they sold this as a DLC option to the full game, similar to Dirt Rally

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried this at friends house.

Holy shit.

Yeah, its time to get PSVR, especially that I never played Skyrim.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with Move controllers?

I'm curious how the setup is like if you're going Move + sitting down. I would never want to stand up so long for a game like this, so it would be entirely in a chair.

Also wondering how it handles the issue where close objects will shift in and out (forgot what it's called, it's the thing Giant Bomb complains about the most regarding PSVR).

And when is that PSVR revision supposed to come out? I would love to not have to switch the cables around constantly (due to losing HDR): any trade-in deals with that?

I have played around 13hrs in Skyrim with the moves whilst sitting down and had no problem whatsoever (about 4 standing up), even in combat the action is primarily in front of you and the action isn't forcing you to move your body unlike games such as Superhot or Sparc, the only time it can be an issue is if you are on horseback and don't have room at your sides and want to swing downwards. Standing up gives you freedom you wouldn't normally have but isn't necessary at all.

WIth PSVR and VR in general the most important thing is getting your initial set up done correctly. As PSVR has a more plug and play nature compared to the other headsets it is easier to get it wrong and therefore get wobble and/or drift. As it is new technology the likelihood of a new user knowing what they are doing is slim but there are guides in the PSVR OT on how to do this, you need to calibrate the headset and moves, set your IPD and most importantly turn your device on from a flat resting position as it calibrates each time you turn it on (this is what prevents drift). It is also recommended not to use rest mode before using PSVR as the cache data seems to mess with the tracking for many, I personally haven't had problems with this though but I rarely use rest mode anyway as I found it made the OS slower to use after a while of constant use. One thing that messes up tracking regardless of how well you have it set up is if the sun is directly hitting the camera lens, it basically blinds it. I personally never get wobble or drift and have it set up so I can use a large play space. Obviously, If you occlude the devices being tracked then the tracking will get poor as it is then only going by gyro.

The revision is out in Asia and the Americas (the Skyrim bundle is the new revision in the States) but no official word in the EU and no trade-in deals I know of in any region unless local stores are doing offers.

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just tried this at friends house.

Holy shit.

Yeah, its time to get PSVR, especially that I never played Skyrim.

Oh man, you're in for a treat.

I'm going to be so interested to see the PSVR hardware numbers at the end of the year. Seems like there's really a second push happening thanks to this game.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Anyone on the fence with Move Controllers IMO I bit the bullet with Skyrim and I reccomend everyone do the same. The feeling and response and feedback is qorth the admission cost

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still so skeptical that this works: can you really go hours playing this without feeling nauseous? The characters don't look super dated when they're right in your face?

I thought RE7 was the right kind of length for a major VR game, but I can scarecely imagine putting 200 hours into this, expansions and all.

(also what's the cheapest way to get this currently?)
Usually when people are skeptical about playing for long times in VR, it's due to fatigue (and/or to a lesser extent isolation). Spending a long time with the headset pressed against your head/face, stood up, waving your arms around, etc. Motion sickness doesn't really come into it - usually you'll feel sickness pretty quickly (within 30-60 minutes) and that's you. The more you keep going the more it'll get in your guts and mess you up.

Skyrim is evidently so fun and immersive (more so than the original pancake versions) that the minor (or increasing) discomfort isn't really a problem, as long as motion sickness doesn't get you to begin with. Using the Move Controllers and playing standing up could make motion sickness less likely (more motor function and inner ear balancing).

Have you played much VR? Characters probably look fairly dated but when you're standing in front of them and they're looking physically down at you from above you don't really notice, you notice their size/presence.

Last edited:

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Top tip: get as close to people as possible before initiating a conversation. Spent most of my time up until now initiating convos at sword length away but is much more immersive getting close up close and find myself a lot more interested in what people have to say for some reason.
Yeah the head tracking from the npc's aswell as the eye movement looking at you really adds to the immersion, They feel real right in front of you. Honestly it would be interesting to know how many peoples dreams have been affected, As speaking for myself i would say iv'e already had a few skyrim inspired dreams whether it be just music playing or something occuring. Bloody fantastic i must say.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
So I got the PSVR Skyrim bundle over the weekend and been playing the game a little bit and I was wondering why I keep unsheathing my weapons all the time?
I am playing with the move controllers, this is kind of a big deal because with weapon drawn I can accidentally hit someone.
Could it be my motions controllers the issue (got no problem with other games)

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Just spend 2 hours just walking around solitude, watching the views. This game really is something else this way. It may be my GOTY tbh.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Kind of felt bad, but it was fun hanging out in Riverwood last night for about an hour or so.

I made my way onto one of the roofs and began picking the townsfolk off one by one with my bow.

Also tried playing while standing and turning my entire body to make my character turn as well. Made me nauseous quickly. Wish there was a way to slow your movement outside of crouching.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fixed all my drift issues etc.

Game is too amazing like this. Anyone on the fence - get it. It's the future of gaming like wow..it is all I imagined.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
So I got the PSVR Skyrim bundle over the weekend and been playing the game a little bit and I was wondering why I keep unsheathing my weapons all the time?
I am playing with the move controllers, this is kind of a big deal because with weapon drawn I can accidentally hit someone.
Think it's a bug when they are equipped, The bow doesnt do it on me though, Just the shield. Just hotkey them and unequip them when in towns etc. Hopefully they patch it.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think most people in this thread have already bought the game, but just in case anyone's interested, I did a video review:

Spot-on review, echoes my thoughts completely. And in response to your chicken issues, I offer my own floating mammoth. Good work.

It would be nice if they sold this as a DLC option to the full game, similar to Dirt Rally

You talking about? Skyrim VR is the full game - people been paying £40/$60 for a mere shadow of the full experience until now.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

If you have a shield equipped, pointing the left move towards the right is read as a "block", and will auto equip your shield and weapon. Unequip your shield to make it stop. Yes, it's very annoying and hopefully Bethesda is going to get rid of it in a patch.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Something that isn't mentioned much but makes the game so much more enjoyable- the super quick load times. The developer went all out with optimization.

After trying out Monsters of the Deep just now I couldn't believe how often and Long the load times are in it compared to Skyrim.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
Fixed all my drift issues etc.

Game is too amazing like this. Anyone on the fence - get it. It's the future of gaming like wow..it is all I imagined.

What did you do to fix your issues? I don't get them super often but it still happens to me occasionally, and I haven't had a lot of success figuring out why.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You talking about? Skyrim VR is the full game - people been paying £40/$60 for a mere shadow of the full experience until now.

So is Dirt Rally but unlike Skyrim it was built in a way that would allow for VR to be added in easier and thus just a mode to activate. Skyrim has been overhauled to get running going by the fan mods in the early days of VR and likely impossible to have as a mode to just activate.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe some of the impressions in here. I almost smashed my controllers last night i was so frustrated by how the game controls. It's infuriating to play. Lockpicking, grabbing items, the menus. It's all just sooooo fucking imprecise and janky it sucks all the fun out of the game for me. I went from "oh my God this is cool" to "this is making me way more angry than it should" before I even finished the tutorial mission.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe some of the impressions in here. I almost smashed my controllers last night i was so frustrated by how the game controls. It's infuriating to play. Lockpicking, grabbing items, the menus. It's all just sooooo fucking imprecise and janky it sucks all the fun out of the game for me. I went from "oh my God this is cool" to "this is making me way more angry than it should" before I even finished the tutorial mission.

Like all controls, you need to learn them. They are super precise once you get used to them, small movements rather than large is the key. The controls were nothing new to me and found the experience seamless besides the lack of smooth turning.

Think of the left controller as the analog and tilt at your wrist rather than your elbow.

Menus are more like flicking a page from a book whilst you hold down the trigger button (only hold the trigger when you want to go left or right) and is less sensitive than the PS4 OS.

lock picking you just tab the buttons, only master difficulty I have trouble opening.

Grabbing items just point the right controller at what you want (remember how the map pointer works with the beam that comes out) and hold the move button if you want to hold it and press it if you want to take the item.

Last edited:

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
I set the click turn distance very small so I could orient myself more accurately, otherwise you can't line up properly to cross bridges and follow paths and have to tilt the Move instead, which feels weird.

You can push the stick forward and it will orient your view exactly where you're looking. So you can do precise turning with that instead.

edit: Oh, this is for the DS4 controls. I assume the Move has some button you can press to do the same thing, but haven't played with them yet.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
You can push the stick forward and it will orient your view exactly where you're looking. So you can do precise turning with that instead.

edit: Oh, this is for the DS4 controls. I assume the Move has some button you can press to do the same thing, but haven't played with them yet.
No, with Moves your direction of movement isn't tied to your head position. Which is good, otherwise you'd weave around like a drunk while gawping at the scenery while travelling.

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed that the game looks better with lower screen brightness for headset. Hold ps4 button and can change it there. I've got mine half way between bright and dim. My Skrim brightness is default.

Suavesteve

Oct 28, 2017
I came from playing Raw Data which is almost the same movement control setup. So I had some time to learn how move with digital face buttons. It wasn't easy but I never gave up. And now I'm glad I didn't. I jumped into Skyrim with no problems at all.

Suavesteve

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to quickly switch between your current weapons or spells that you have in your hands and the previous set you used without going into the favorites menu? Like some sort of double tap feature?

Oct 26, 2017
I had a bunch of fun for a few hours clearing out bandits, vampires and necromancers in the mountains west of Solitude. Still need to save up a ton of cash for the house.

The advisor gave me my second quest to go talk to a priest. How long before I am allowed to actually buy it? And will items that lower sale prices work towards house purchases?

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Think it's a bug when they are equipped, The bow doesnt do it on me though, Just the shield. Just hotkey them and unequip them when in towns etc. Hopefully they patch it.

If you have a shield equipped, pointing the left move towards the right is read as a "block", and will auto equip your shield and weapon. Unequip your shield to make it stop. Yes, it's very annoying and hopefully Bethesda is going to get rid of it in a patch.

Thanks guys !

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
This shits is fun... makes me wish I wasn't spending my entire Thanksgiving weekend out of town D;

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding myself doing a lot of conjuring lately.

On my right hand I mapped "bound sword" and on my left "conjure familiar".

So with my left hand I just keep making ghost wolves appear that then attack my target. If it dies I immediately spawn another to keep the target busy. While at the same time I fight off any enemies that get close with my sword made of pure energy.

It's great!

Woah, thanks for that! Didn't think about placing a wand in my left hand.

I usually play Melee in these types of games but with this one, I experiment more and it's so much fun!

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
I think most people in this thread have already bought the game, but just in case anyone's interested, I did a video review:

I have to give one bit of feedback, not about the review or the quality of your work. But about how your videos open. You always sound like you're pleading for your life. There's like a worried, questioning tone to it.

It's a bit jarring, since your videos are good and when you speak in the video you sound normal.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017

Give it a go with DS4 if you dont get along with move, its not as immersive but will be more fun if your struggling with controls.

Or do what i do and go 2 handed weapon and use ds4 in your left hand and a single move in your right and just keep the other move near you for if you want to swap out to bow. Allows you to move your character and navigate menus with your analogue stick whilst still having the 1:1 weapon combat with your right hand. Havent seen anyone else mention they play like this but i highly reccomend.

Oct 27, 2017

I kinda agree... But my first VR experience is using the oculus rift touch controls which are beyond precise and natural to use or play with. It's like you're not holding anything at all. The move controllers are absolutely trash but it gets the job done. Game is still fun

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Give it a go with DS4 if you dont get along with move, its not as immersive but will be more fun if your struggling with controls.

Or do what i do and go 2 handed weapon and use ds4 in your left hand and a single move in your right and just keep the other move near you for if you want to swap out to bow. Allows you to move your character and navigate menus with your analogue stick whilst still having the 1:1 weapon combat with your right hand. Havent seen anyone else mention they play like this but i highly reccomend.
With the DS4 still feel immersive since you can aim with you head, its pretty crazy how more accurate you are you can be in VR.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
THIS GAME IS AMAZING

I didn't care for the original release, but it's a different beast in VR!

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
The offers seem to be all regions tbh, I'd imagine Sweden should have similar as well, already here in the UK at £250 for VR Headset/Camera/Skyrim and VR Worlds

Quite the deep end if this is the first game you play, certainly make sure you take some breaks if you start feeling a bit queasy. Enjoy though and don't forget to download the free things like Playroom VR and the Demo discs 1/2, RecRoom etc
I hope so, but haven't seen nor heard anything yet. Friends at Gamestop don't even know the deals yet, last I checked.

This'll be my first own hmd too, if I find one. Though I did borrow a rift version 1 for a couple of weeks back in the day. Only felt woozy once and I jumped into the rollercoasters immediately :D

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm so ready for this. Just picked it up, but I haven't played a full-motion PSVR game since Farpoint launch. I didn't get as motion sick as I did RE7, but I always got so tired when I played for an hour or so. Here's hoping I last in Skyrim.

Dude, yes! I find myself yawning non-stop while I play and I don't know how to combat it, I thought I was the only one dealing with it. I hadn't used the PSVR much since RE7, so needless to say, I had been skipping VR "leg day" for quite some time, and the first hour or so in the game was ROUGH.

As far as the sickness, some things I've been doing to combat it, especially moving up and down staircases, which really seem to mess with me is I pick out something and focus on it as I move up or down, I find that this helps a ton. Also, if I have to strafe an enemy, I keep my eyes locked on them the entire time if it's possible. I'm slowly building my tolerance, can play for about an hour and a half now without feeling sick, but I still deal with the overwhelming fatigue or "tiredness" like Ikiru suggested.

Also, one last thing ... this damn headset gives me a headache, it's really tight, and the pressure from it pressing against my forehead doesn't feel all that great. Are there any hacks to making this thing feel more comfortable when wearing it for long stretches?