• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Seems pretty clear that Apple made these 2nd gen ones a while ago and held them as AirPower got further and further delayed. Real bummer for anyone who bought them.
Yeah, they were clearly meant to come out last year. AirPower died and the AirPods meant to accompany them back in September were unceremoniously announced via press release in March.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. If thats true, thats incredibly fucked up by Apple.

Incredibly fucked up? Haha

The revision that just released can barley even be called 2nd gen. The only major addition was wireless charging and a slightly faster chip. It was a very minor quality of life upgrade for people who didn't want to keep waiting even longer for a real second gen update 3 years after the first gen AirPods.

Gen "3" will prob be realeased closer to the end of the year, or early next year. Pretty close to the industry standard full year for new model releases.

Don't know how that's supposed to be "incredibly fucked up".

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
If they release an in-ear version I will finally get these. It's crazy that people are paying $150 or more for the same old uncomfortable plastic as the regular EarPods.

They're super comfortable for me. I forget I'm even wearing them sometimes. I've even fallen asleep with them in.

Sorry you're part of the minority whose ears they don't fit :-/

I'll probably buy a pair if they look less stupid as shit.

Must suck to go through life caring so much what others think about you that you'll avoid buying something that makes your life easier.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the iPad 3/4 fiasco all over again.

How is this a fiasco when it's just a rumor and also, it won't even be the same product. This will be a premium or pro product. Noise-canceling doesn't come cheap and when I saw people in the past asking for it to be added into the $160 AirPods I chuckled.

There's a reason the price of entry for real noise-canceling is $350 by the two biggest competitors out there.

Some of you are always so bent on trying to make drama out of something that's nothing.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
On one side i'm happy with the second gen i just bought since they sound good enough for me, on the other side fuck them, i wasn't in dire need of them and could have easily waited ~6 months for the new ones.
I swear to god if this is true i'll get really upset.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one side i'm happy with the second gen i just bought since they sound good enough for me, on the other side fuck them, i wasn't in dire need of them and could have easily waited ~6 months for the new ones.
I swear to god if this is true i'll get really upset.

So Apple is at fault because you're a consumer who doesn't do research and bought something he didn't need immediately?

There have been rumors of another version beyond this slight upgrade with the 2nd gen for a while. Different materials, colors and noise-canceling.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this a fiasco when it's just a rumor and also, it won't even be the same product. This will be a premium or pro product. Noise-canceling doesn't come cheap and when I saw people in the past asking for it to be added into the $160 AirPods I chuckled.

There's a reason the price of entry for real noise-canceling is $350 by the two biggest competitors out there.

Some of you are always so bent on trying to make drama out of something that's nothing.
People save a lot of money to buy their over priced products. They rightfully have a gripe when Apple releases a half assed product and shortly after releases a complete redesign, after purchasing the half-assed product.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People save a lot of money to buy their over priced products. They rightfully have a gripe when Apple releases a half assed product and shortly after releases a complete redesign, after purchasing the half-assed product.

So you clearly don't know what you're talking about and are just pulling shit out of your ass, got it.

AirPods in their price class are above everything else, they're hardly half-assed and hardly overpriced for what they offer compared to the competition in the same tier.

This isn't a product redesign. Adding more audio options for people who want to pay more, I don't see the issue. I'm not here for the privileged cries of people because they're not getting the additional features of a product that is going to probably cost $140 more. If you want something premium or with more features, you pay for that. Griping doesn't make a difference in this instance because it won't even be the same product.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you clearly don't know what you're talking about and are just pulling shit out of your ass, got it.

AirPods in their price class are above everything else, they're hardly half-assed and hardly overpriced for what they offer compared to the competition in the same tier.
I'm referring to half-assed as releasing a minor upgrade ala the AirPods 2 and the iPad 3. You should calm down a little bit. You'd think I was attacking you.

brick-a20b

Oct 25, 2017
I am wondering if there will be different colours; surprised they didn't do that for the current new ones.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Still on Gen 1. I'll wait for actually better battery life and for them to come in space grey/black. You Gen 1/2 will work fine, even when gen 3 comes out 🤷🏽‍♂️

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm referring to half-assed as releasing a minor upgrade ala the AirPods 2 and the iPad 3. You should calm down a little bit. You'd think I was attacking you.

I didn't upgrade to AirPods 2 because I'm not wasting money on something that I didn't need, I agree they're too similar to the original AirPods but to call iPad 3 a minor upgrade is laughable. It added a Retina display, I would say that's a pretty big upgrade.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Me and my dad both bought gen 2 in the past week lol. Ah well, if the new ones are sick i'll give my old ones to my brother.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't upgrade to AirPods 2 because I'm not wasting money on something that I didn't need, I agree they're too similar to the original AirPods but to call iPad 3 a minor upgrade is laughable. It added a Retina display, I would say that's a pretty big upgrade.
I had the iPad 3. It was my first tablet. I wasn't phased by the fact that the iPad 4 came out 5 months later and had a minor SOC upgrade, but many did. They had a right to be upset.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Not a dick move. This is how they do business.

Release product.
Release revised variant of existing product 1 year later.
Release new model of product 1 year later.
Repeat.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
My Powerbeats 3s died and got the gen 2 AirPods to replace them as a convenient portable option while working out, works for me.

Couldn't even wait for the new Powerbeats Pro but also didn't want to spend $250+ for them lol

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Some of the responses here are mystifying. It's good that technology improves. You should make decisions about your needs at the time you make your purchase. AirPods are awesome. If someone wanted them right now I'd tell 'em to go ahead and buy 'em.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what's wrong with some posts ITT. "Boohoo my earphones wont be the latest of the bunch in 6 months time, I've been betrayed by an unexpectedly irregular update cycle of a tech product that has received a total of one (1) incremental updates so far"

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao what's wrong with some posts ITT. "Boohoo my earphones wont be the latest of the bunch in 6 months time, I've been betrayed by an unexpectedly irregular update cycle of a tech product that has received a total of one (1) incremental updates so far"

If anything, I'm surprised Apple didn't launch V1.5 sooner.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Planned obsolescence increased to the absolute fucking maximum if true.

Gen 1s are still supported and useful. I'm not getting new ones until mine go out.

And frankly, I don't understand this train of thought. Apple supports devices as old as the 5S, and some pretty old MacBooks too. An SE covers the majority of everyday functionality that you'd expect of a phone, and there is absolutely no need to upgrade as a result of that support. Like...what?

Oct 25, 2017
How long should they wait to release this Gen 3 then? A year and three months? Two? When will be long enough so that people who got gen two don't feel betrayed?

I say this as someone who just got my Gen 2, I am happy as can be with them and understood that Apple was already looking into the future for a Gen 3 release. I did my research and knew I couldn't wait that long, and was okay with them as is, with wireless charging and Siri compatibility being enough of an incentive (never owned gen 1). And by the looks of it, these Gen 3 pods look to be more expensive, so I wouldn't have been interested in the price class to begin with.

You used the word "fiasco" and "half-assed" earlier and I can't help but roll my eyes. The product I'm using right now as I type is in no way "half-assed". Tech is tech, and I am stunned so many people are offended at the audacity Apple has of upgrading something in their product line; an upgrade people were literally begging for. Could you imagine waiting another year?

Why don't people have these kind of conniptions when Apple refreshes their chipsets in half-year cycles for iMacs/MBP's?

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see an issue if they are a redesign to be in-ear. That would be a separate product that many using the current would not want.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Sounds like these are a more premium offering, meaning they're not replacing the 2nd generation models and will likely be sold alongside them.

But of course folks gotta give their bad takes anyway.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
If they are high end and start at 299$ I wouldn't have bought them over the AirPods 2 anyway.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a wise decision from here on out to wait a few weeks or months before buying an Apple product, but I feel this was already a known thing due to antenna gate and other things.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
If they release an in-ear version I will finally get these. It's crazy that people are paying $150 or more for the same old uncomfortable plastic as the regular EarPods.

Ditto.

Never found the gen 1 or gen 2 comfortable plus they would fall out. Will definitely purchase an in-ear version. I play a lot of basketball so that would be perfect.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long should they wait to release this Gen 3 then? A year and three months? Two? When will be long enough so that people who got gen two don't feel betrayed?

I say this as someone who just got my Gen 2, I am happy as can be with them and understood that Apple was already looking into the future for a Gen 3 release. I did my research and knew I couldn't wait that long, and was okay with them as is, with wireless charging and Siri compatibility being enough of an incentive (never owned gen 1). And by the looks of it, these Gen 3 pods look to be more expensive, so I wouldn't have been interested in the price class to begin with.

You used the word "fiasco" and "half-assed" earlier and I can't help but roll my eyes. The product I'm using right now as I type is in no way "half-assed". Tech is tech, and I am stunned so many people are offended at the audacity Apple has of upgrading something in their product line; an upgrade people were literally begging for. Could you imagine waiting another year?

Why don't people have these kind of conniptions when Apple refreshes their chipsets in half-year cycles for iMacs/MBP's?
I think they should have waited to release what will be the 3rd generation as the 2nd generation product.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Incredibly fucked up? Haha

The revision that just released can barley even be called 2nd gen. The only major addition was wireless charging and a slightly faster chip. It was a very minor quality of life upgrade for people who didn't want to keep waiting even longer for a real second gen update 3 years after the first gen AirPods.

Gen "3" will prob be realeased closer to the end of the year, or early next year. Pretty close to the industry standard full year for new model releases.

Don't know how that's supposed to be "incredibly fucked up".
Its a money grab is why. Why fuck over your customers who bought the "Gen 2" airpods and release new ones not even a year later.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Something about AirPods brings out the worst, most pathetic people on this site. Is it resentment? I doubt it's jealousy. But goddamn at some of the awful takes here.

"they're ugly!"

"they don't fit my ears so they should change them for everyone!"

"apple bad! how dare they release new technology when I just bought mine!"

"only tools wear them!"

"bad sound quality! I expect perfect sound for a $150 pair of wireless airbuds!"