Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
It's arguably hypocritical to condemn one person's insulting language choices while using language that is insulting to others. Just saying.

Fuck off with that nonsense.

Edit: oh, you're banned.

"I was unnerved, but it was my first week and I didn't know if this was a common occurrence. I didn't say anything at that time. Eventually, the language would escalate to "n*gger" Is she sure it was the "er" and not the "ga". I've witness a ton of people of every race throwing that around casually to one another. It was never used as a racial thing towards one another, but a term of endearment between two friends or people who know one another. What do i know anyway.

Bruh I'm born and raised in Brooklyn, NY and I still will say your post is bullshit in context to the OP.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
One former Riot employee who presented as a woman, for example, has always played role-playing games, and said as much during their 2014 phone interview for a position at Riot not at all adjacent to games development. The interviewer then asked if they played "real games like Call of Duty," they recalled. "He kept going, kept rephrasing the question, no matter how many times I listed all the things I played," they said. "In the end, he asked, 'If someone just met you, how would they know you're a gamer?' I said, 'Well, I'm looking at my TV right now that has 16 game consoles plugged into it.'"

*blinks*

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea, for sure. There are people like that in our industry as there are in pretty much every other aspect of life.
My point is that generalising a whole industry based on some people / companies diminishes the efforts that others put to make this a much better, warmer, more inclusive, diverse, and welcoming environment for everyone.

That's an utterly ridiculous point, though. That's like saying a statement like "Hollywood ignored sexual harassment because a lot of people within it were sexual harassers themselves" diminishes the efforts of the #metoo movement. I seriously can't emphasize this enough - the point you're trying to make is self-centered, deflective, and wrong.

There was absolutely no good reason for the gaming industry as a whole to ignore GamerGate the way it did. At this point, the best excuse that could be given is that companies wanted to protect their bottom line over doing the right thing, which still means the industry in general is fucked up.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
"I was unnerved, but it was my first week and I didn't know if this was a common occurrence. I didn't say anything at that time. Eventually, the language would escalate to "n*gger" Is she sure it was the "er" and not the "ga". I've witness a ton of people of every race throwing that around casually to one another. It was never used as a racial thing towards one another, but a term of endearment between two friends or people who know one another. What do i know anyway.
I'm fairly certain it was the "er" man. I can understand giving the benefit of the doubt, but the context of the story pretty clearly leans into the fact that she was visibly disturbed by what she understood were racist and sexist remarks.
What an appropriate question for you to end on.
No need to be a jerk to him man. He was mistaken for certain, but using a cheap opportunity to get snarky and subtly call someone ignorant is just classless and lazy.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine at a company with thousands of employees, there will inevitably be pockets of this. It's much easier for this kind of thing to go unnoticed when staffing is that large.

I've worked at companies with more employees than Riot and this type of behavior would not have been tolerated. This is a company or facility/office culture issue, which means management is responsible. People act this way because they know they can get away with it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've worked at companies with more employees than Riot and this type of behavior would not have been tolerated. This is a company or facility/office culture issue, which means management is responsible. People act this way because they know they can get away with it.

Agreed.

I mean, its easy to believe that this shit happens in the real world workplace. But that doesn't make it any better or less depressing/frustrating. Shit sucks. Good on these employees/ex-employees for speaking out against toxic workplace environments. Same goes for the Quantic Dream leakers. This stuff needs to be public so we understand and believe people when they say it's happening to them at their workplace.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Sounds like a frathouse. For a company as successful as they are, you'd expect a hell of a lot more professionalism.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a frathouse. For a company as successful as they are, you'd expect a hell of a lot more professionalism.
I hate to say it, but these types of objectionable attitudes seem so much more ubiquitous among "e-sports" type communities in general, regardless of their level of success. Something about these competitive gamer communities inspires some trash human beings with absolutely vile social and political views to ascend to such heights of financial success and power that they eventually become tastemakers, so to speak, and that's where the real danger is; when vile human beings achieve a platform with which they can communicate their objectionable mentalities and messages, then it's all downhill from there. Just look at who we have in office right now and the current culture of "internet people" for an example of how far this gross rabbit hole can go. It's sickening really.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A buddy of mine worked there for a while years back (in Cali). He's a good dude and eventually got out and became a full time streamer. I had no idea the culture was so awful there.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Stop playing the game. The only way they're gonna listen is with people stopping playing the game. And if you claim that you abhor the culture that celebrates people saying f****t and n****r left and right, now that you know Riot is a company where such a thing is flourishing, then you should stop playing their game too.

Nov 3, 2017
I imagine at a company with thousands of employees, there will inevitably be pockets of this. It's much easier for this kind of thing to go unnoticed when staffing is that large.

The smallest company I've ever worked for is 4 times the size of Riot. The next smallest I've worked for is over 10 times the size of Riot. I've never seen anything even remotely close to this in any workplace I've been a part of.

This has nothing to do with staff size. It's entirely on Riot and the turd of a culture they willingly cultivated for themselves

Oct 28, 2017
I hate to say it, but these types of objectionable attitudes seem so much more ubiquitous among "e-sports" type communities in general, regardless of their level of success. Something about these competitive gamer communities inspires some trash human beings with absolutely vile social and political views to ascend to such heights of financial success and power that they eventually become tastemakers, so to speak, and that's where the real danger is; when vile human beings achieve a platform with which they can communicate their objectionable mentalities and messages, then it's all downhill from there. Just look at who we have in office right now and the current culture of "internet people" for an example of how far this gross rabbit hole can go. It's sickening really.

eSports has this problem because the industry is so damn insular and people who play video games for a living aren't typically the most social people. You still have body odor problems at these sponsored tournaments, how this still happens I have no freaking idea but you'd expect people to wash themselves and their clothes regularly if they had a modicum of social interaction with people outside their community.

When you cram all of these sorts of people from the top of the business straight down to the bottom, you seem to end up with the garbage we're seeing from Riot.

I can't think of a single really positive eSports individual except Day9. Everyone else doesn't push back on this stuff or are major tools like Thorin.

The smallest company I've ever worked for is 4 times the size of Riot. The next smallest I've worked for is over 10 times the size of Riot. I've never seen anything even remotely close to this in any workplace I've been a part of.

This has nothing to do with staff size. It's entirely on Riot and the turd of a culture they willingly cultivated for themselves

In a normal workplace, you have people with actual social skills. No one would be saying half that shit in a public space, if I created a "Bros and Hoe" team name and couldn't tell any jokes that didn't contain rape, I'd probably be ostracised from the get go because you're the lamest person in the entire building. That's what makes their whole "we only hire hardcore gamers who play X hours in World of Warcraft" policy so hilarious because it almost feels like they're doing nothing but hiring the worst sort of employees.

Chicken Wing

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
The games industry in Southern California especially has always been a racist, sexist, good old boys club. 10+ year vet.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
eSports has this problem because the industry is so damn insular and people who play video games for a living aren't typically the most social people. You still have body odor problems at these sponsored tournaments, how this still happens I have no freaking idea but you'd expect people to wash themselves and their clothes regularly if they had a modicum of social interaction with people outside their community.

When you cram all of these sorts of people from the top of the business straight down to the bottom, you seem to end up with the garbage we're seeing from Riot.

I can't think of a single really positive eSports individual except Day9. Everyone else doesn't push back on this stuff or are major tools like Thorin.

In a normal workplace, you have people with actual social skills. No one would be saying half that shit in a public space, if I created a "Bros and Hoe" team name and couldn't tell any jokes that didn't contain rape, I'd probably be ostracised from the get go because you're the lamest person in the entire building. That's what makes their whole "we only hire hardcore gamers who play X hours in World of Warcraft" policy so hilarious because it almost feels like they're doing nothing but hiring the worst sort of employees.
Pretty succinctly put, perhaps that's why I never go to public gaming events; I've never seen a more exclusive and insular community than gamers, well, except perhaps the average sports fan or avid politico's.

less

Oct 25, 2017
What a massive failure of company leadership though perhaps they don't see much of a problem with the culture that is being depicted in this account.

Oct 26, 2017
The result of "gamer culture" just being accepted over the past couple of decades. The kids who grew up playing Counterstrike, Xbox Live, whatever, while screaming obscenities at one another are now the ones making games. Nobody stepped in and put their foot down back then and the only realistic action for normal people was to ignore it.

There was a time when stepping into the real world after your school years, etc, would quickly make you shed most of your renaming childhood edginess, but when the professional world you're stepping into is staffed and run by obnoxious manchildren, then there's no need to change.

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty succinctly put, perhaps that's why I never go to public gaming events; I've never seen a more exclusive and insular community than gamers, well, except perhaps the average sports fan or avid politico's.

Sports communities are generally very inclusive because a lot of it is ingrained in our culture, it serves as a perfect excuse to get together and have good food and drink. Same with politics, though things get a lot more heated because the seriousness of politics and the impact it has on our livelihoods.

They tried to open eSports up to a wider audience with those BarCraft events that were organised during the heyday of professional Starcraft but that sort of fizzled out pretty quick.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yea, for sure. There are people like that in our industry as there are in pretty much every other aspect of life.
My point is that generalising a whole industry based on some people / companies diminishes the efforts that others put to make this a much better, warmer, more inclusive, diverse, and welcoming environment for everyone.

A bit of shameless promotion:

More needs to be done, all the hate has gone unchecked for far too long.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yeah, their statement is pretty funny to me. This statement:

Is pretty hilarious given how awful the majority of gaming related communities are. At this point, I'd rather companies be closer to Nintendo and just hire people who don't play video games because at least there's a better chance that they're normal functional people.

The worst is this part:

or understanding the pain they're feeling with a nerf gone too far.

Like, their studio has just been accused (by a number of corroborating accounts) of harassment, assault, discrimination, and an overall climate of bigotry...but they need to make sure they understand THE PAIN gamers feel of "a nerf gone too far".

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Seriously? THAT'S what you decide to release in your statement? Know your audience I guess...I can't imagine the LoL fans would be too happy with the studio being responsible, progressive, or, you know, empathetic to humans. Can't have that!

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Honestly, both of your posts have really bothered me here.

The games industry collectively turned away from a targeted campaign of harassment and hate toward some of its most vulnerable and marginalized members. You can't dispute that.

I don't see why you feel it's appropriate to come in and finger-wag to people who are rightly critical of the games industry rather than turning your attention toward your peers, who have cultivated and perpetuated a system of intolerance and exclusion. Yes, we know "not all developers", but enough that stories like the one this thread covers don't truly surprise many of us.

You shouldn't paper over systemic issues like this simply because your office over at DICE is really great. Way to cast everyone who isn't as lucky as you to the wind.

I'm sorry, I meant no disrespect or to downplay the issue in any way. Apologies if it seemed that way.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Sports communities are generally very inclusive because a lot of it is ingrained in our culture, it serves as a perfect excuse to get together and have good food and drink. Same with politics, though things get a lot more heated because the seriousness of politics and the impact it has on our livelihoods.

They tried to open eSports up to a wider audience with those BarCraft events that were organised during the heyday of professional Starcraft but that sort of fizzled out pretty quick.

Sports communities are inclusive? Without wanting to sound rude, I'm assuming you aren't a gay guy? Because they are anything but inclusive. When entire teams are being fined because their supporters are singing homophobic slurs at the opposing team it is not exactly inclusive.

trisbee

Nov 17, 2017
Honestly, If you look at just about any game company photo it's basically all white guys, a few women (2-3) and then 1 or max 2 black guys.

As a black guy who has been in the industry for many years but could not convince any outside companies to give me a role as an associate producer for years despite being overqualified I can tell you that there is some serious discrimination going on. (But of course they all say they don't take race, gender etc into consideration)

I'm now working on my own game and getting offered publishing deals- so looking at this, I'm effing glad I decided to go it on my own.

Oct 30, 2017
Much of the tech industry insulating itself from professional norms of conversation is interesting. That shit just wouldn't fly in so many work places.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Megan VanBurkleo was my favorite journalist in GameInformer at the time. I always rooted for her where ever she went after her departure from GI but eventually you lose track as time goes by over the years. Fast forward to my first E3 and I unexpectedly saw her with my own eyes while she was speaking in an interview/playthrough of Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I stayed and watched for as long as I could because, hey, this may as well be the only time I'll ever see her that isn't through a viewing apparatus.

...sexism could have had her starve to death. Starve to death.

*uninstalls* ...just fuck all of this.

There was a time when stepping into the real world after your school years, etc, would quickly make you shed most of your renaming childhood edginess, but when the professional world you're stepping into is staffed and run by obnoxious manchildren, then there's no need to change.
TRUMP SURE CHANGED ALL THAT!

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
NcTSYjM.png

Comments on an ex-Rioter's FB post. The ex-Rioter claims there was no culture issue, on the basis that he did not see any culture issue. That was already bad, but now one of his buddies (in green) is proudly Gamergating.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
NcTSYjM.png

Comments on an ex-Rioter's FB post. The ex-Rioter claims there was no culture issue, on the basis that he did not see any culture issue. That was already bad, but now one of his buddies (in green) is proudly Gamergating.

Is the person saying that shit ex-riot as well or just a buddy of theirs? Still disgusting, either way.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Is the person saying that shit ex-riot as well or just a buddy of theirs? Still disgusting, either way.
I edited out the ex-Rioter's comments from the above, this is just the friend. But it's emblematic of the type of discourse that I've seen on several conservative Rioters' FB pages, which has only gotten worse since Trump's inauguration.
And yes, for the trolls here, I am directly linking this to Trump. It's been real interesting watching these people deteriorate over the past 3 years.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
They posted something on Twitter

Although I find that this idea gives too much credit to a single person, there is credence to Trump being elected having emboldened people with similar points of view and beliefs.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this was in Dublin?

I'm from Dublin, live here, educated here etc. Never came across a work environment like that. Really disappointing to read this shit going on.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Keep in mind that it being in Dublin doesn't mean it's mostly Dublin people (or even irish) working there. Same for Rockstar in Edinburgh, or any big international company.
Dublin is mostly for the taxes.