• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I think most people are agreeing with the title of the thread and not necessarily this instance. For example, there was a girl who became under an internet attack because someone said, "my culture is NOT your goddamn prom dress." Turns out that person had a history of racist posts. Stuff like that makes me realize people should chill. I wasn't really commenting about Apu and the Simpsons as much as I was the title.
So completely ignoring the context in which the OP's quote was said?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think most people are agreeing with the title of the thread and not necessarily this instance. For example, there was a girl who became under an internet attack because someone said, "my culture is NOT your goddamn prom dress." Turns out that person had a history of racist posts. Stuff like that makes me realize people should chill. I wasn't really commenting about Apu and the Simpsons as much as I was the title.
I mean context is extremely important and you only have yourself to blame if people get mad at you because your statement was insensitive in the given context

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people really love to be offended

This is usually said when minorities stick up for themselves or when (heaven forbid) white people empathize, but do you guys really think we wouldn't rather just not have to deal w bullshit

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the whole point of the Simpsons was too make fun of everything and everyone. Like nobody is safe. Especially white Americans. The moment you take offense is the moment you lost grasp of the schtick. In the words of Ranier Wolfcastle:
thatsthejoke.jpg
If that's the case, why don't they have a minstrel character? Or someone that speaks like little black sambo?

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
It's always lovely when white people chime in and tell people of colour how offended they should be by racism and caricatures. Nothing like some condescending white privilege to remind you how you're still considered a second class citizen in the Western world by so many people.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Do people really love to be offended

This is usually said when minorities stick up for themselves or when (heaven forbid) white people empathize, but do you guys really think we wouldn't rather just not have to deal w bullshit
Right? PoC would love to not have to call out all the shit that makes them uncomfortable or outright contributes to a culture that delegitimizes them. But the only way some white creators can sleep at night is to convince themselves that we stay up all day & night looking for shit to get mad at.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the whole point of the Simpsons was too make fun of everything and everyone. Like nobody is safe. Especially white Americans. The moment you take offense is the moment you lost grasp of the schtick. In the words of Ranier Wolfcastle:
thatsthejoke.jpg
no that's South Park

the Simpsons writing staff was actually an old boys club of a bunch of Harvard grads (Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Josh Weinstein, Meyer, Conan, etc.) so they were basically making jokes about what Harvard grads found funny

Last edited:

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
It's always lovely when white people chime in and tell people of colour how offended they should be by racism and caricatures. Nothing like some condescending white privilege to remind you how you're still considered a second class citizen in the Western world by so many people.

White people like Hari Kondabolu, the guy of south asian descent who made the documentary that started this whole discussion?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's always lovely when white people chime in and tell people of colour how offended they should be by racism and caricatures.
It's even lovelier when they try to characterize those same people of color as being childishly and needlessly outraged just because some of them said their precious cartoon character was stereotypical. Talk about projecting.

If that's the case, why don't they have a minstrel character? Or someone that speaks like little black sambo?
So long as he has a heart of gold, it's fine.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Simpsons characters, from a job/occupation POV, never really changed after all these years.

So what's happening basically is that the 'funny' stereotype from the 90s sticked and became a model of mockery towards those ill willed towards individual native from India.

I get the point offended people want to get across, but honestly, even if Apu changes or even disappear, the show is now 29 season long and the stereotype/joke won't disappear like that.

Simpsons (especially back then) did a lot of its humor through caricature and personally, if some douchebag is willing to piss Hindu folks with jokes like that (à la douchebags in the first Harold & Kumar), that's on them for being fucking racists.

I mean, even if the Simpsons were not a thing, racists would just find other material. Not dismissing the issue, criticisms are valid but imo, this is a case were the bad done by this is done and well implemented, like, you can't turn back, it's useless. I don't think Matt has ill intents by saying this.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In a show that routinely takes jabs at basically every race, religion, profession and basically any way possible you can think of classifying a group of people, it's just hard for me to get all that worked up about Apu. I totally understand where people are coming from being upset about some of Apu's stereotypical characterization, but on the other hand, he's kind of a developed and beloved character that is much more than just the "Indian" of Springfield. Decisions that were made 30 years ago rarely age well and it's not a good look that an Indian actor doesn't voice Apu. There's certainly things that have made me cringe regarding Apu and others on the Simpsons, but the alternative of a cookie-cutter show/society where everyone is bastions of their ethnicity/race etc. just sounds so lame.

It's awful that racists called some Indian people "Apu" in a derogatory way. But if Apu didn't exist, they'd still be racist assholes and I guess I just doubt that Apu made people 'more' racist.

I wish Matt's answer would have been more nuanced and actually addressed some things specifically, but in a world rife with real-life examples of racism and shitholery, Apu just doesn't move the meter much for me.
It doesn't sound like you understand at all

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
So completely ignoring the context in which the OP's quote was said?

I admit I read the statement of "people love to pretend they're offended" and commented because that can be applied broadly. If it would of said, "people love to pretend they're offended over the Simpsons" I wouldn't of said anything, but that's my crazy logic. At least I'm still posting and didn't bounce out like most hahahaha.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
The Simpsons characters, from a job/occupation POV, never really changed after all these years.

So what's happening basically is that the 'funny' stereotype from the 90s sticked and became a model of mockery towards those ill willed towards individual native from India.

I get the point offended people want to get across, but honestly, even if Apu changes or even disappear, the show is now 29 season long and the stereotype/joke won't disappear like that.

Simpsons (especially back then) did a lot of its humor through caricature and personally, if some douchebag is willing to piss Hindu folks with jokes like that (à la douchebags in the first Harold & Kumar), that's on them for being fucking racists.

I mean, even if the Simpsons were not a thing, racists would just find other material. Not dismissing the issue, criticisms are valid but imo, this is a case were the bad done by this is done and well implemented, like, you can't turn back, it's useless. I don't think Matt has ill intents by saying this.

If Matt would have actually addressed anything or attempted an explanation people would be responding differently. He should be able to explain his own intent, so I'm going to take his statement at face value.

His only response to the aforementioned harassed people is: "People love to be offended." I doubt those people loved being harassed.

Would have been as simple as saying "Yeah that aged poorly and I feel bad for anyone affected by the stereotype." Seems shitty to not even address it.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I just see Apu as a fundamental part of the show. Of course it could survive without this character in specific, but the type of humor Apu represents is part of the show's essential narrative voice. Other characters might not trade on ethnic stereotypes, but they do trade on stereotypes: the hillbilly, the ambulance chasing lawyer, the shady quack doctor, the comic nerd, the Bible thumper...

People saying "what about bumblebee man? What about Groundskeeper Willie?" might just sound like they are deflecting with a slippery slope argument, but I think they're saying something more fundamental: the criticism of Apu isn't just a commentary on one piece of a little show, it's a fundamental criticism of the show's source of humor. If we say Apu is a problem, I don't see how so much more of it isn't.

I think it's time for the show to end. It's painful to admit that this show, which was so fresh and necessary and celebrated by liberals in its day is now considered regressive. It's not the 80s/90s anymore and it's not the right medicine for the times. I suppose there's room to let it evolve, but a Simpsons without Apu just sounds like a show full of people on tomorrow's problematic hit list. Better to reboot it in a few years with a properly considered concept of what The Simpsons should be in our era.
Apu is a south Asian caricature written and performed by white people of a completely different faith.

Fat Tony was voiced by Joe Montgena who himself is Italian and even added his own insights into that character.

Kriusty is Jewish but that's not his main characteristic that he's known for. Also many of the writers were of Jewish background. Jackie Mason, a prolific Jewish comedian voiced his father.

There's a spectrum of difference between Apu and many others. Especially the fake and exaggerated accent which also separates him from the likes of Carl, Dr. Hibbert and Lou The Cop.

I love that they built up Apu as a character over the years but that was just a Band-Aid on a much deeper problem; that he started off and continues in many ways to be a racist caricature.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive post.
Gotta agree even if it came off as sounding douchey. People go to extremes to be offended and try and sound morally superior.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
thatsthejoke.jpg
This show was never like South Park.

The attacks it did make was on the sitcom culture that existed before it. Other than that the critical jokes they made before the decline wasn't meanspirited.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Admitting that nowadays it's not a good look still achieves something, and it's definitely better than going "nah, it's the kids who are wrong". Sure, you can't undo all the damage, but undoing some of it is better than adding to it, no?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's even lovelier when they try to characterize those same people of color as being childishly and needlessly outraged just because some of them said their precious cartoon character was stereotypical. Talk about projecting.
It's easier to think about a boogeyman, the idea of a person sitting around waiting to be offended, rather than the reality, a systemic racism issue that affects all walks of life including media creation where POC get stereotyped.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We do live in an outrage culture to some extent...well online at the very least. I don't think that changes the fact that Apu has crafted this blatant stereotype in the minds of people all over the US. Indian kids at school growing up definitely were on the receiving end of this where I grew up. It wasn't right and I'm surprised it took this long for the criticism to have a mainstream voice. No doubt attributable to the show's irrelevance these past several years. I also think that's why Groening is choosing not to do anything, as this is the most anyone has talked about the Simpsons in a long time.

EasyRoad

Oct 25, 2017
2 post in a thread filled with hundreds of reasonable responses. The only person being disingenuous here is you man.
It's not just these two responses, are you asking me to quote every single radical post in this thread?

And it's not just this thread, do you want me to quote every tweet, every Facebook post, every internet think-piece that proves my statement?

Can you admit that in paralel with the reasonable discourse there is a pressure for the Simpsons to make changes and/or apologize in a way that decharacterizes the show or else they're a show that propagates racism written by bigots? Or are you going to bury your head in the sand, pretend that it doesn't exist and call me disingenious?

(edited for grammatical reasons)

Last edited:

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, some people do that. Are you saying that's what Hari Kondabolu did here? Made a whole documentary just to pretend he was offended and appear morally superior?
No. Hari has a right to feel offended. I'm talking about the general twitter crowd. People who don't watch Simpsons. People who basically see a snapshot of anything in any situation and react. Like I said, Groening's words came off as douchey but they're not inherently wrong.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I spent a lot of my childhood picked on for being Indian. Apu was used on a regular basis as the basis of the joke. I was constantly attacked and told I'd never be anything but a taxi driver or a convenience store owner, because look at Apu. And then the imitations.

So fuck you, Groening. I spent a good portion of my childhood being ridiculed. "Pretending to be offended" my ass.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Matt would have actually addressed anything or attempted an explanation people would be responding differently. He should be able to explain his own intent, so I'm going to take his statement at face value.

His only response to the aforementioned harassed people is: "People love to be offended." I doubt those people loved being harassed.

Would have been as simple as saying "Yeah that aged poorly and I feel bad for anyone affected by the stereotype." Seems shitty to not even address it.

Agreed, he could at least share some compassion for the damage done by the character.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's not just these two responses, are you asking me to quote every single radical post in this thread?

If you wanna highlight 2 without doing anything to show the huge amount of support in the thread about addressing the main issue then you really have zero place calling anything disingenuous.

And it's not just this thread, do you want me to quote every tweet, every Facebook post, every internet think-piece that proves my statement?

Sure. There is abiut 10x more that are about trying to make a real discussion about the issue. You cherry picking is not going to change that.

Can you admit that in paralel from the reasonable discourse there is a pressure for the Simpsons to make changes and/or apologize in a way that decharacterizes the show or else they're a show that propagates racism written by bigots? Or are you going to bury your head in the sand, pretend that it doesn't exist and call me disingenious?

I don't think there is a very serious push from legitimate voices saying the show is racist. People wanting the show to address these criticisms and realize that the show was a product of its time in which more marginalized voices didny have the ability to speak out is not the same as saying its written by racists and bigots.

Wanting a show to change how it addresses certain characters and stereotypes for a modern era is not trying to decharacterize itself.

It's not hard for me to concede people go overboard with shit like this. But the discussion around this particular issue has been fueled by a position of research and lived experience and the way you are boiling it down is flat out dishonest.

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
This reminds me of the outrage over the "Simpsons Go to Australia" episode, not a lot has changed over the years, there's always someone offended out there. As someone who had a Bart Simpson shirt confiscated in middle school after the vice-Presidents wife complained, the fact that the Simpson's can still outrage anyone in this day and age is mindblowing.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How lazy do you have to be to not even watch the 50 min documentary roasting your show?

EDIT - not even roasting, but analyzing.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
No. Hari has a right to feel offended. I'm talking about the general twitter crowd. People who don't watch Simpsons. People who basically see a snapshot of anything in any situation and react. Like I said, Groening's words came off as douchey but they're not inherently wrong.

But if he's not addressing the documentary that spurred this whole discussion, then isn't he just intentionally dodging the real issue? Surely he isn't ignorant of how this all got started, right? It wasn't just white people looking for something to complain about.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The only manufactured outrage in this whole situation comes from the people who, instead of looking into the issue at hand, at the history, hearing from the minority in question, they jump straight to "oh this is ridiculous! SJWs again! PC gone mad! Outrage culture! Chuck it on the pile of all those other completely reasonable complaints I've ignored because I'm too fucking ignorant and lazy to empathise with someone other than myself for five seconds."

No, it's called progress and it won't be stopped by stupidity.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if he's not addressing the documentary that spurred this whole discussion, then isn't he just intentionally dodging the real issue? Surely he isn't ignorant of how this all got started, right? It wasn't just white people looking for something to complain about.
Honestly idk I'm not him so I have no idea if he bothered to watch the documentary

A lot of older people in comedy and writing are, themselves, very offended that their perspective and sensibilities are out of step with the evolution of society.

So they are latching on to the self-reinforcing delusion that "everyone is just pretending to be offended."

Because you can't prove who is and isn't "really" hurt by something. Therefore, you err on the side of caution and assume everyone is lying.

That way you don't have to acknowledge any criticism, put forth effort to understand other people, or perform self-reflection.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't if its been said in this thread, but when a group of white people make a "joke" about racist stereotypes and you're the only PoC sometimes you nervously laugh along, cos it throws you for a loop. At least that's how my 14 year old Mexican self felt like. Say outrage culture all you want but damn if the 90s was rough for us.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly idk I'm not him so I have no idea if he bothered to watch the documentary

Well considering Hank Azaria knows the context of this situation, I'd bet Groening is likely to as well. It's not as if he has to even watch the documentary to realize Hari is south asian. And if he doesn't know the context, then why the hell is he commenting on it? Considering it's his own livelihood, he should look into what's actually going on before making a public statement.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I spent a lot of my childhood picked on for being Indian. Apu was used on a regular basis as the basis of the joke. I was constantly attacked and told I'd never be anything but a taxi driver or a convenience store owner, because look at Apu. And then the imitations.

So fuck you, Groening. I spent a good portion of my childhood being ridiculed. "Pretending to be offended" my ass.

I think people are missing how this character has had real world impacts on people's lives. Apu may be just a silly character to us, but to others he's cast a terrible shadow. Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully it'll help others to see what the issue is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.