• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
190918075203-01-thomas-middleditch-mollie-gates-file-exlarge-169.jpg

Thomas Middleditch is being open about his open marriage.

In an interview with Playboy, the "Silicon Valley" star revealed that he and his wife of four years, costume designer Mollie Gates, are into the swinging scene.

"I don't know how much I can say, because I don't want my wife to be mad at me," Middleditch said. "Only after I got married was I like, 'Mollie, I'm sorry, but we have to get nontraditional here.' To her credit, instead of saying ... 'I'm out,' she was like, 'Let's figure this out.' "

Not only did they figure it out, but the 37-year-old actor said "To be honest, swinging has saved our marriage."

"We have different speeds, and we argue over it constantly, but it's better than feeling unheard and alone and that you have to scurry in the shadows," he said. "By the way, it's now called being 'part of the lifestyle.' The term swinging is old."

Middleditch said being "part of the lifestyle" wasn't something he had aspired to.

"I self-deprecatingly call myself a pervert, but that's not what it is," he said. "I just like it. I'm sexual."

"I'd always thought I was a romantic and that when I fall in love, that stuff fades away. It does for some years — enough to be like, 'I should get married, and I'll be different,' " Middleditch said. "But it's part of me. If that's part of your being and it feels important to you, find a way to explore it, because repression sucks."

The couple have rules, he said, and function as a unit.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
More power to them. They are on a higher level than I when it comes to a relationship.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a common thing among celebrities.

The fact of the matter is that your options for sex open up greatly when you become famous and you may not necessarily want to part with your significant other, so you work it out.

Good on them for being open about it.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Is she swinging too or is she just putting up with his ways because hes a rich celebrity. The context of the interview seems to be all about his actions but I could be reading it wrong.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
'Part of the lifestyle?'

Just call it what it is, old term or not. And it would be interesting to know if she's as into it as he apparently is.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
not sure how qualified you are to say something has "saved your marriage" if you've only been married for four years

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I imagine having a sexually satisfying (and faithful) relationship as an actor/entertainer must be really difficult, especially if you're both in the business and constantly flying all over the place.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Is she swinging too or is she just putting up with his ways because hes a rich celebrity. The context of the interview seems to be all about his actions but I could be reading it wrong.
It really sounds like he's the one who essentially gave her an ultimatum. Not sure why he'd phrase it like that, but hopefully she's not miserable.

Weird to put y'all's life on blast like that.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't figure that out by the time you get married, I think you are delaying the inevitable.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
More power to them. They are on a higher level than I when it comes to a relationship.

This isn't a criticism of you, or a criticism at all, rather just my frustration with the view of relationships that they're somehow more mature (or something to that effect) when they're into swinging or polyamory.

I've always operated under the assumption that some things work for some people, and other things work for some people. Sure, we've been in something of a "norm" for awhile, but that doesn't mean that what's not in that criteria is worse, better, higher minded, or anything along those lines.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for open relationships but the way he went about it sucks and she seems much less happy about it than is framed in the article with the term 'it saved our marriage'.

To be honest the guy comes off as a massive dick who's patting himself on the back for not cheating on his wife.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
"I don't know how much I can say, because I don't want my wife to be mad at me,"
"Only after I got married was I like, 'Mollie, I'm sorry, but"
"We have different speeds, and we argue over it constantly"
"By the way, it's now called being 'part of the lifestyle.'"
"I self-deprecatingly call myself a pervert, but that's not what it is"
"I'm gas, and she's brakes."
"Sometimes I'm a ravenous little monster, and how do I calm that down?"
"It's a game of inches on a minefield to try to predict who's going to feel safe."

*thinkingemoji*

Last edited:
May 30, 2018
a number of commenters in the /r/Earwolf thread on this interview discussed some rumors and things about him that upon reading definitely kinda bum me out, but it's difficult to tell with the internet sometimes.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

It definitely reads like he told her this is the way things are going to go if she wants to stay married to him.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Considering her work history, yeah, she's making good money. She's no millionaire, but I doubt she's going, "Gotta get me a rich Silicon Valley star money!" Such a weird thing for you to say.
Hey look, I'm not saying anything definitively, all I know is based on that article something is off. It's obviously all pure speculation and I have no actual insight in to this womans character.

Dec 1, 2017
Lol @ "saved." Funny thing to brag about. "Hey, I saved my marriage by telling my wife I have to fuck other people."

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a common thing among celebrities.

The fact of the matter is that your options for sex open up greatly when you become famous and you may not necessarily want to part with your significant other, so you work it out.

Good on them for being open about it.

Will Smith and Jada have long been rumored to be hardcore swingers.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems a bit of a bitch move.

Why was he not up front before the marriage?

If I said to my girl I'm Sexual and need to fuck other chicks she's telling me to keep it moving.

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely reads like he told her this is the way things are going to go if she wants to stay married to him.

If it gets to a point where one person says " I need to have sex with other people" or something to that effect. There's really only two ways it can go. She was either going to leave him or they went with the much less common option of an open marriage

Sounds like it works for them though, so I don't see a problem here