• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you just going to sit there eating pizza?

• Yes

Votes: 551 92.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.2%

• Total voters

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Because Halloween or have your heard anything about it?

Dusk and I commented on it:

For those wondering about GOG also releasing SH2 and SH3 - it makes strategic sense to just release SH4 first, since it would be the first Silent Hill game getting a digital PC release. That alone will enable it to swallow up more immediate sales simply because it fulfills a demand no matter what.

If SH2 and SH3 had been released simultaneously, many people would have skipped buying SH4 because it's seen as the inferior game. Now people will simply buy SH4 out of principle or over a decade of thirst, and then when the all-time classics in SH3 and SH2 are released, everyone nad their mother will pick it up.

So the SH4-only release makes sense sales-wise. GOG might also be looking to do some kind of Halloween type of promotion anyway when they want to release SH2 and SH3.

I have a suspicion they have something planned for SH2 & SH3. I think SH4 was prioritized first since people might've ignored it if the other two came out first (SH4 is often slept on unfortunately), though I'll also assume if they want to do something with them they may be considering the route to go with them a bit heavier as they're more beloved by many (plus complications with voice work, past port stuff, maybe they want to do something fancier with them, we know due to the HD Collection they're missing the source codes of the game, maybe need to track down the SH3 voice cast?).

I think there's a few reasons Silent Hill 4 going first makes sense, but I think SH4 coming to GOG is more a sign they're considering options with SH2 & SH3 more than they're skipping them. Of course, to see.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dusk and I commented on it:

Thanks, yeah I had read your posts on the matter, and despite my initial reaction being something like "fuck these guys", I get it. I mean, I would've bought all of the Team Silent games no questions asked, but I get getting 4 out there first from that point of view. I still think it's kinda hmmeeeeeeh weird starting with the fourth (albeit narratively independent) game in the series, but I get it.

I was just wondering if there was something more concrete about the release date, I have no doubt it's coming.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finished the replay of SH2 recently and was going to hit up SH3 on PS2 as usual, but I saw you folks talking about how the PC port is pretty decent and made by Team Silent. Decided to give it a shot this morning and damn this game is utterly gorgeous on PC! Really excited to run through the game like this.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Been watching through every walkthrough of every Silent Hill title. All I can say is this. Silent hill 2 is the best Silent hill game out there. Although a bit repetitive, it is done very well with the music, story, characters. All together very beautifully. Would LOVE to see a well made remake without the repetitive gameplay with all rooms looking the same etc.

Silent hill 3 is the 2nd best game in the series. More action focused though.
Silent hill 4 was awful to watch. Hated everything about it. Same with the rest which felt too western-ish but we all know why.

Team Silent had something beautiful with Silent hill 2. Konami ruined it.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I started Silent Hill 4 but didnt play that much at this point but I already hate the ghosts a lot

I think it was a game that was ahead of its time and still amazing on a technical level, but lord are some of the mechanics and enemies insufferable. I think it's an important game, but not a very fun one.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
  • In the first tweet, he says "I have no plans to create a AAA Silent Hill game and I'm not the copyright holder."
  • In the second tweet, he says that he doesn't want to make a Silent Hill game and would prefer an original title (although he said throughout 2016-2019 that he would be willing to work on a new Silent Hill if it's not a remake, direct sequel to an earlier game, and doesn't have Pyramid Head)
Beforehand, he was just saying "I don't know anything about Silent Hill or my next title. And I'm telling you I don't know because of NDA." This... looks a bit worse.

Sonderhen

Sep 15, 2020
if he's not involved in a new Silent Hill game, why didn't he say that before?

I'm tired...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
  • In the first tweet, he says "I have no plans to create a AAA Silent Hill game and I'm not the copyright holder."
  • In the second tweet, he says that he doesn't want to make a Silent Hill game and would prefer an original title (although he said throughout 2016-2019 that he would be willing to work on a new Silent Hill if it's not a remake, direct sequel to an earlier game, and doesn't have Pyramid Head)
Beforehand, he was just saying "I don't know anything about Silent Hill or my next title. And I'm telling you I don't know because of NDA." This... looks a bit worse.

Either he is being brutally honest in answering and denying it, or he was told outright to deny it because of NDA and because he's constantly being bombarded with such questions. There were times where Masahiro Ito could have been close to breaking NDAs, for example. Otherwise, why did he deny outright just now, of all times?

What are your thoughts on this KatharsisT and Dusk Golem?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DTo2oZGU0AA_olj.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
It's sadly the closest thing we will ever get to a new Silent Hill game.

/JK...?

Seriously though, the TS Reunion SH game won't be over for me until Keiichiro Toyama and Masahiro Ito's game(s) is/are announced. Maybe also if Konami announces a new SH with Suehiro Maruo and no TS members in sight.

Last edited:

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The announcement of Toyama's game will ultimately be what lays everything to rest. If he's not working on Silent Hill, than that is it. I wouldn't even particularly care, tbh, since I'm not exactly starved for a new Silent Hill release. I've found enough really good Team Silent-inspired games to fill the void, like Lone Survivor and Lost in Vivo.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The announcement of Toyama's game will ultimately be what lays everything to rest. If he's not working on Silent Hill, than that is it. I wouldn't even particularly care, tbh, since I'm not exactly starved for a new Silent Hill release. I've found enough really good Team Silent-inspired games to fill the void, like Lone Survivor and Lost in Vivo.

Lone Survivor came out 8 years ago, it's not like the psychological horror demand is entirely filled from that. It's also a small indie game.

It would be huge to have a relatively large-budget psychological horror game. That space was usually filled by Silent Hill, but sadly, no more. So it coming back with the support of Sony and bringing some of the original creatives back again is pretty damn huge and something that would be disappointing to miss out on.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Lone Survivor came out 8 years ago, it's not like the psychological horror demand is entirely filled from that. It's also a small indie game.

It would be huge to have a relatively large-budget psychological horror game. That space was usually filled by Silent Hill, but sadly, no more. So it coming back with the support of Sony and bringing some of the original creatives back again is pretty damn huge and something that would be disappointing to miss out on.
To be honest, I think it's better for the series to be on ice than to have a bad Silent Hill game come out every year or so.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Ito doesn't cross as someone that would lie about it, I think he would rather say nothing. He is taking some of his time to answer a random post on Twitter, so if SH exists he ain't involved.

Until yesterday, Ito was either saying "I don't know" or dodging the question entirely. Last week, he admitted that he has been saying "IDK" about anything pertaining to his upcoming game because of NDA (including questions about Silent Hill). Now he's straight up denying it.

Either Sony told him to say that, he got tired of people asking him the same question, or the leak really is false. If it does turn out to be fake, I really want to know what these tweets were about:

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Until yesterday, Ito was either saying "I don't know" or dodging the question entirely. Last week, he admitted that he has been saying "IDK" about anything pertaining to his upcoming game because of NDA (including questions about Silent Hill). Now he's straight up denying it.

Either Sony told him to say that, he got tired of people asking him the same question, or the leak really is false. If it does turn out to be fake, I really want to know what these tweets were about:

Probably that his next game is an original IP and he can finally move on from PH

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Probably that his next game is an original IP and he can finally move on from PH

To be fair, he has worked on original projects before. Although most of his stuff gets cancelled, he has successfully worked on Acid Bufferzone, NightCry, Metal Gear Survive, Human Lost, and a couple of others. He even designed a tank in World of Tanks.

Aside from a 2013 game and a few comics, Ito also left Team Silent after Silent Hill 3 and hasn't touched the franchise since then. He wasn't even involved in Team Silent's Silent Hill 5 because he already left the team. He also turned down Silent Hill: Origins after being offered.

I think he has been pretty moved on for a while, and I doubt that even a smash hit new AAA game would stop people on Twitter from asking questions about Silent Hill.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, people should stop trying to get info from Ito on his next game. Whether it's a Silent Hill game or not, he won't say anything until he can, because he's signed an NDA. I know they won't stop asking, but he's not a news source. He can't confirm what he's working on. We have a rumor, and I know how much everyone wants a new Silent Hill game, but we can't do anything but wait and see what Japan Studio is doing.

This is why, and I hope insiders understand this is just my opinion, I don't particularly like leaks. It creates expectations that might never be met and, if true, puts unnecessary pressure on developers. The rumors on the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster and a new Silent Hill game are perfect examples of this. If they're true, they're not announced, and there's a clear frustration in both fanbases about that. Except that devs have nothing to do with that. I imagine Ito doesn't spend a day without someone tweeting at him about his next game. Must be very frustrating.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
My take is you guys shouldn't be bothering Ito in the first place.

However, if you want my deeper thoughts, for me the Ito stuff is from Katharsis and Rely on Horror, it has no bearing on what I heard. But I still believe them, and I think you guys need to come to expect that companies in Japan push employees to more straight-up lie about things, so to me this doesn't mean anything one way or another.

There's various examples, but being a Resident Evil fan I shall point to them first. When RE2 REmake came out, when questions about RE3 REmake as a possibility, they deliberately said nothing was in the works and it'd be based on if there was demand, which was fucking bullshit as RE3 REmake was already 2-years in development at that point. When RE3 came out a year later, when asked about RE8, they said they weren't thinking about it right now, they needed a break, but RE8 was announced literally 2 months later.

Japanese companies will straight up lie to keep surprises, their attitude towards secrecy & just lying to keep secrets is very different than the West. Bothering their employees just hassles them more than anything one way or the other.

Anyways, I took Ito's response to mean if it was up to him to make something, he'd choose a new title over Silent Hill, why he started with "If I have such a desire," he's talking about what he'd wish for if he could choose to do anything. He's not talking about what he's currently working on, and it's not up to him as much as he'll work for whoever hires him.

But I will reiterate, I don't think you guys should harass him to get him to spill on something. He's nice to respond to most people, regardless of whatever if he broke NDA he'd be in big trouble.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Last edited by a moderator:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
After replaying Silent Hill 4 and Origins recently, I've kinda changed my opinion on both of them.
SH4 is way, way worse than I remember and Origins is way better.

SaneOsprey123

May 7, 2020
Here are some concept arts for some of Masahiro Ito's cancelled stuff, for those who haven't seen it yet:

The 13th Floor (a horror version of Alice In Wonderland) from 2009:

NSFW warning

DMR34SrVAAAk9M1

Silent Hill (2013 sequel to 1 and 3):

latest

Concept art for a cancelled 2010 retro Russian sci fi game:

EVWMg-3WoAE_HyG

Masahiro Ito also worked on a VR horror game that got cancelled and built this test environment in Unity while working on a cancelled title.
Wait where was it confirmed that it was gonna be a sequel to 1 and 3?!
That and the baby carriage might've meant maybe having Heather back as a character?

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Wait where was it confirmed that it was gonna be a sequel to 1 and 3?!
That and the baby carriage might've meant maybe having Heather back as a character?

Yeah, he has said a few times that it's a direct sequel that would have involved Valtiel killing Pyramid Head scene. Incidentally, he said in other tweets that Heather turns her head at the end of Silent Hill 3 because she heard a baby crying.

latest

Though ironically, he has said (since this game was cancelled) that he will only work on another game if it's not a direct sequel, has a distinct atmosphere from Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 1/3 and if he either doesn't have to use Pyramid Head or can kill him off again.

SaneOsprey123

May 7, 2020
Yeah, he has said a few times that it's a direct sequel that would have involved Valtiel killing Pyramid Head scene. Incidentally, he said in other tweets that Heather turns her head at the end of Silent Hill 3 because she heard a baby crying.

latest

Though ironically, he has said (since this game was cancelled) that he will only work on another game if it's not a direct sequel, has a distinct atmosphere from Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 1/3 and if he either doesn't have to use Pyramid Head or can kill him off again.
I did see the baby tweet and the Valtiel/PH one but never anything that said it was a direct sequel to 3. Do you happen to have a source to that? Sounds pretty interesting!

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
I did see the baby tweet and the Valtiel/PH one but never anything that said it was a direct sequel to 3. Do you happen to have a source to that? Sounds pretty interesting!

He has been pretty vague on plot details, but refers to it as a direct sequel here and here:

On Twitter, Ito uses the term "direct sequel" in a very specific way. To give some examples for context:

"Silent Hill 3 was supposed to be an arcade spin off/a rail shooter, not a direct sequel to SH1. Was a terrible plan. The sales of SH2 was really not good start."

"Double under dusk is not a direct sequel to SH2, SH1/3 or SH4."

"If it's not sequel and I don't have to use Pyramid Head or can kill him in the opening, I'll have no qualms about joining [a new SH game]."

Ito clarifies here that when he says "direct sequel" about the cancelled 2013 game, he means a sequel to the narrative and not a standalone story like Silent Hill 2:

Also of note:

It's also worth mentioning that the red rust Otherworld was only used by Team Silent for Alessa:

The reason the Otherworld takes on
such an ominous aspect is that with her burned body, Alessa's endless nightmares were
twisted and amplified by thoughts of the malevolent god. Her hatred and terror became
nourishment on which the malevolent deity thrived.

Book of Lost Memories - XXI: The World

English translation of Book of Lost Memories

SaneOsprey123

May 7, 2020
He has been pretty vague on plot details, but refers to it as a direct sequel here and here:

On Twitter, Ito uses the term "direct sequel" in a very specific way. To give some examples for context:

"Silent Hill 3 was supposed to be an arcade spin off/a rail shooter, not a direct sequel to SH1. Was a terrible plan. The sales of SH2 was really not good start."

"Double under dusk is not a direct sequel to SH2, SH1/3 or SH4."

"If it's not sequel and I don't have to use Pyramid Head or can kill him in the opening, I'll have no qualms about joining [a new SH game]."

Ito clarifies here that when he says "direct sequel" about the cancelled 2013 game, he means a sequel to the narrative and not a standalone story like Silent Hill 2:

Also of note:

It's also worth mentioning that the red rust Otherworld was only used by Team Silent for Alessa:

Book of Lost Memories - XXI: The World

English translation of Book of Lost Memories

Goddammit now I'm depressed cuz we never got to see that. It sounded awesome and interesting enough to differentiate from the previous western ones.

I wonder what it would've been about? I doubt the Order would've returned, but maybe it was a culmination of Cheryl's story with her new child and Douglas or something then? Nothing more left of Alessa other than her and the mysterious baby.
That would've been a dream come true. Cheryl's one of my favorite characters ever and it'd have been interesting to see more of her.

Tbh I think Dead by Daylight's lore would've been a good enough sequel to her. She's trying to cope with Harry's loss but the guilt she feels makes her return and face monsters of her own, not disconnected to SH, Claudia and Alessa's ones.

Ugh, so many possibilities :(

Oct 29, 2017
So this means if there is another Silent Hill game by Team Silent or whatever, and Ito is involved, then it wouldn't be a direct sequel to the existing SH games, right?

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
So this means if there is another Silent Hill game by Team Silent or whatever, and Ito is involved, then it wouldn't be a direct sequel to the existing SH games, right?

You would think so. But in more recent years, Ito has said that he will only work on another Silent Hill game as long as it's not a remake, direct sequel, Pyramid Head-focused, and if he can give it its own atmosphere.

This aligns with the rumour about Toyama's game being a soft reboot, and some of Ito's other statements about wanting to do original horror more than sequels. Ito still wants to kill Pyramid Head, though.