• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Is Ghostbusters becoming the new Predator? You know, where they just keep burning hundreds of millions of dollars in attempt after ill-considered attempt to match the success of one good movie they made a bajillion years ago?

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Time for all the incel idiots to start writing blog posts about Answer the Call being wiped from existence or some nonsense.

Edit: Yes, I'm bitter at people claiming that Answer the Call was somehow the worst Ghostbusters-related thing ever when the franchise already got a miserable sequel in 1989.
I wanted the reboot to be good to spite the online worms hate campaign.

It was absolute fucking garbage though unfortunately.

I'd rather watch GBII on a loop for a week than sit through that painfully unfunny excuse for a 'comedy' again. (The hyperbole over how bad GBII is is pretty crazy.)

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Me either. I'm one of those weirdo that enjoyed it more than the first :/
It's on par for me. Possibly GB1 a little ahead.

Even 2016 wasn't that bad if you treated it as something outside the original films and didn't compare it to them.

I have such a good feeling about this 2020 film, so long as it isn't just Stranger Things with old Ghostbusters in it.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I wanted the reboot to be good to spite the online worms hate campaign.

It was absolute fucking garbage though unfortunately.

I'd rather watch GBII on a loop for a week than sit through that painfully unfunny excuse for a 'comedy' again. (The hyperbole over how bad GBII is is pretty crazy.)

Your own hyperbole is pretty crazy.

ATC's downfall is they spent way too much money on it for how borderline niche Ghostbusters is. If that film cost forty million, it'd have had a sequel by now. Ghostbusters is not a big enough property to support a mega blockbuster budget.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is gonna be a new template to follow

1. Reboot old ass franchise nobody cares about anymore
2. Make it more diverse and inclusive
3. Enrage Anti-SJW manbabies
4. Unboot it with the original cast

Can't wait for Blues Sisters starring Emma Stone and Margot Robbie

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Ghostbusters becoming the new Predator? You know, where they just keep burning hundreds of millions of dollars in attempt after ill-considered attempt to match the success of one good movie they made a bajillion years ago?
Keep burning?

There has been one movie in the 30 years since Ghostbusters 2. Ghostbusters Answer the Call was decently reviewed and made a modest amount of money it's just a shame they massively overspent on the budget.

Nov 18, 2017

ATC's downfall is they spent way too much money on it for how borderline niche Ghostbusters is. If that film cost forty million, it'd have had a sequel by now. Ghostbusters is not a big enough property to support a mega blockbuster budget.

I like ATC a lot.

ATC's issue was that it was a full reboot Paul Feig comedy that was more interested in being a Paul Feig comedy than being a Ghostbusters movie. It had a loose script and relied far too much on the ad-libbing talents of it's cast.

ATC is a fun diversion, but it was entirely the wrong direction for the Ghostbusters franchise from the ground-up.

A proper Ghostbusters film of similar quality to the first two could potentially support a mega blockbuster budget... but it doesn't need to warrant such a budget. The direction of the new movie seems entirely sensible.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
This is gonna be a new template to follow

1. Reboot old ass franchise nobody cares about anymore
2. Make it more diverse and inclusive
3. Enrage Anti-SJW manbabies
4. Unboot it with the original cast

Can't wait for Blues Sisters starring Emma Stone and Margot Robbie
Emma Stone was lined up for the first try at Younger Ghostbusters.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
why aren't they bringing back harold ramis?
43982.jpg

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I thought it was just as good as the first. It loses something from being derivative with the same framwork, but gains from having much better villains. Janosz and Vigo were superb, Scoleri brothers was the best scene in BOTH films imo

For real. I avoided GB2 for the longest time thanks to its stigma. When I finally watched it on a whim, I found myself scratching my head, because, well... it was more Ghostbusters, which was exactly what I wanted from a Ghostbusters sequel.

Oct 27, 2017

The downfall was a director who allowed his actors to ad-lib much of the film, and then used that footage. Spending less money wouldn't have saved the film from being a pile of crap.
why aren't they bringing back harold ramis?

To be the antagonist they fight?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I hope at least someone in the media asks some tough questions to Bill Murray if he does any press for this.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but you know that Murray & Akroyd are going to be the main selling point of this movie now. This stood to be a more interesting film if they either weren't involved, or only appeared in a surprise cameo.

It's the Star Wars sequel trilogy problem. Just by bringing back the original characters, you're taking focus from the new cast & limiting their growth.
People don't care about the franchise as much as they care about the actors and characters they play.

People don't fucking care that Rocky V exists, people love Rocky. His relationship with Adonis made him a better character and that made people like Adonis as well.

No one fucking cares that Ghostbusters II is derivative. The actors work well together.

When will the people handling legacy IP realize this?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Because he was just a guy. The original plan was to have Eddie Murphy in the role and I would love to pop my head into that alternate timeline.

Oh I know, I'm a big fan. That would have been....... something for sure, not sure if it would have been better though.

Not a good reason to sideline him though. Winston was an awesome addition to the team. Also Ernie is a great actor and held his own when being thrown in with those big names, he's very a underrated actor imo.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Oh I know, I'm a big fan. That would have been....... something for sure, not sure if it would have been better though.

Not a good reason to sideline him though. Winston was an awesome addition to the team. Also Ernie is a great actor and held his own when being thrown in with those big names, he's very a underrated actor imo.

I'm kind of on both sides of the fence for Hudson. On one side, I completely get why he was disappointed that his role was actively reduced during production. On the other side, I understand that an ensamble of comedic talent would alter the role for the introduction of a character actor.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I guess I'm alone here but I saw this as less of a "I don't have to put up with Ramis anymore so I'll do it" and more "he's gone, I wish we had reconciled a long time ago- I owe him this".

I also remember Ramis' daughter doing an interview where she said what happened between them and when it was resolved.

Ramis and Murray were constantly arguing about their creative process during Groundhog Day. At one point, Ramis became so frustrated and incensed with Murray that he grabbed him by the shirt collar and threw him down. Murray cut him off cold after that.

She said Bill Murray was dealing with some kind of personal trauma and it sounded like alcoholism? So he was very sensitive and easily shaken, said Ramis felt awful but Murray wouldn't return his calls. They went 20 years without speaking.

Apparently when Bill Murray heard he was sick he showed up at their house with a box of donuts. She said he didn't bring up the past just hugged him, shared old stories and kept making him laugh.

I'll try to find the interview but I think it was from her book as well.

I remember it vividly because it fucking broke my heart to learn about it. I loved those two since I was a child, I loved their movies. I hate that this happened between them and I wish we still had Harold Ramis.

I'm relieved that I remembered the story above correctly.

Since the dumb "don't forgive Bill Murray" comments have continued, here is some more context from this story:

NR1

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, TX
I wonder how they'll handle his absence.

egon_extreme.jpg

Perhaps they can recycle the original concept for Egon from Extreme Ghostbusters. He is the ambassador for the ghost world. Make him a CGI ghost that acts as a bridge between the living and the dead. Pull a Marlon Brando from Superman Returns.

It's what I had always visioned as being the solutions to getting Bill Murray back for a sequel— make him into a CGI zombie that decays throughout the film as a visual gag.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I thought it was just as good as the first. It loses something from being derivative with the same framwork, but gains from having much better villains. Janosz and Vigo were superb, Scoleri brothers was the best scene in BOTH films imo

I love Ghostbusters 2. I actually enjoy it more than the original, although I definitely love the original. I was 9 when GB2 came out, and I still remember the hype building up to it. I bought the trading cards, and was a huge fan of the cartoon as well, so I was practically bouncing up and down with anticipation for it. And it didn't disappoint. Even rewatching it now, as an adult, I still love the movie. Maybe even more now. Peter McNichols was so good, and I even thought Murray was hilarious in it. His tired, phoned in demeanor worked perfectly with where Venkman's character was at in the story. Rick Moranis was also hilarious, and still cracks me up. Viggo was great, and as a 9 year old, there were some legit scary moments in the movie. The river of slime photo scene, the train tunnel, some good stuff. And the music was fantastic. Such a late 80's movie. I love it, and still rewatch it at least once a year.